Menu

I just wore jeans to a semi-formal event.

Miss Peregrine

Dd had an award ceremony at her college for achievement on Friday. She asked me to go with her.

Yesterday I was putting her stack of laundry in her room and saw the invitation open on her desk. "We'd like to invite you to this semi-formal ceremony. . ." !!!

WTH? All I can do is laugh at this point. No wonder everyone was all dressed up. Sheesh.

• Like 16

Oh my!  :eek:  :willy_nilly: 

Monday night of this week, my son told me that he had been awarded an AAPG scholarship through his college, and could I come to the awards ceremony the next night (yesterday).  I was clueless as to what was in store, so donned a plain, plain dress over which I wore a plain, plain blazer.  . . .  Not only were clothing styles there all over the map, but it appeared as if maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the scholarship recipients had not even come to the event. 

:cheers2:   Here's to our kids!

• Like 4

We've done the opposite and it's no picnic either. When my DH was in grad school, his advisor invited us to an event DH somehow got the impression was a ball. So we gussied ourselves up in black-tie ball attire only to show up and discover everyone else was in cocktail attire. We were so embarrassingly overdressed!

• Like 1

We've done the opposite and it's no picnic either. When my DH was in grad school, his advisor invited us to an event DH somehow got the impression was a ball. So we gussied ourselves up in black-tie ball attire only to show up and discover everyone else was in cocktail attire. We were so embarrassingly overdressed!

Revealing that I run in less-dressy social ranks, what distinguishes one of these from the other?

• Like 4

Sounds like something I would do. In fact, I'm currently wondering what the dress will be at one of ds2's school events next week. From the name of the event it sounds a bit "church clothes"-ish to me. OTOH I wear jeans to church. :p

Revealing that I run in less-dressy social ranks, what distinguishes one of these from the other?

For men, a tux with bowtie vs. regular suit or even sport coat & chinos.

For ladies, a full-length ball gown with gloves vs. a knee-length dress or business suit or dressy pants & top.

Think what you'd wear to prom vs. what you'd wear out to dinner at a fancy restaurant.

For men, a tux with bowtie vs. regular suit or even sport coat & chinos.

For ladies, a full-length ball gown with gloves vs. a knee-length dress or business suit or dressy pants & top.

Think what you'd wear to prom vs. what you'd wear out to dinner at a fancy restaurant.

Thank you for explaining!

Sounds as if I am safe for life from such expense.  :001_smile:

• Like 3

Thank you for explaining!

Sounds as if I am safe for life from such expense.  :001_smile:

Outside of the military, most adults don't have too much occasion to wear ball attire. Maybe if they get involved in high-end philanthropy (the symphony and the local art museum both host charity balls as fundraisers but I've never gone).

We were only a year post-Army at that time so I think that's part of the explanation for why my DH got confused. I'm guessing he probably was told "dinner-dance" and in his mind that translated into "ball".

• Like 2

Years ago, my SILs, MIL and dhs aunt were all going to NYC to see the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular. The aunt had also made reservations at The Rainbow Room for dinner. In the back of my mind, I was thinking, "that sounds like a fancy restaurant and I think we're supposed to be in dresses." But it was exceedingly cold and my SILs were all saying, "we're wearing leggings and big sweaters." I never did wear leggings and sweaters, so I wore jeans and a sweater. I FELT LIKE AN IDIOT! I swapped coats with one SIL just to get in the door, because her coat was long and I could sort of hide my terribly incorrect attire.

I vowed that I would never again wear jeans to NYC no matter how freezing it may be.