Menu

What classic books, or any books in general, have inspired you most to be a better person?

Thanks for reminding me of Les Miserables.  I especially recall the first? chapter called something like "A just man", in which the generous and selfless priest tells Jean Valjean, after saving him from the consequences of his theft, that now he has claimed him for good, forever.

• Like 1

Fiction:

Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss helped me put the task of mothering in perspective. I wrote down so many quotes from that book. Loved it!

Hinds Feet on High Places gave me perspective on trials and hard places in the Christian walk. A forever favorite. 

Non-fiction: Too many to name!  

I really liked Jean Fleming's A Mother's Heart when I was a new mom. 

Homeschooling the Whole Hearted Child and Homeschooling for Excellence were the 2 books that inspired me in this homeschool journey

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me of Les Miserables. I especially recall the first? chapter called something like "A just man", in which the generous and selfless priest tells Jean Valjean, after saving him from the consequences of his theft, that now he has claimed him for good, forever.

Lol, more like the 20th chapter. I'm listening to Les Mis on audio book right now, because I've been meaning to reread it for years and always get overwhelmed by the sheer length if it. (It's 65 disks, by the way, no less overwhelming, really). I think Jean Valjean was first introduced on disk 5.

Anyways Les Mis would definitely make my list, particularly because of that bishop. The Brothers Karamazov, because of the monk Father Zossima. Anna Karenina because it really fills me with compassion/mercy, which I tend to lack. Life and Fate for the same reason. I think all great novels make you a better person in the end.

I think the only "advice" type book that's ever affected me long-term was Simplicity Parenting, which was really viewpoint altering for me, in a very good way.

• Like 2

A Tale of Two Cities

Vanity Fair (I really like/ appreciate Thackeray's insights into the human condition)

And yes to all the Russian lit books I've read so far: Crime and Punishment (gruesome but a beautiful picture of redemption), Brothers Karamazov, and I agree with above about Anna Karenina.

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Villette (a lesser known novel of Charlotte Bronte's, I like it more than Jane Eyre or Shirley for the way it portrays love)

And I feel a bit silly to include a Jane Austen novel in the mix, but I LOVE Mansfield Park and am always so inspired by Fanny's resolve of character.

- Lord of the Rings (JRR Tolkien) -- SO many powerful examples and life lessons

- "Leaf By Niggle" (JRR Tolkien) -- short story; example of humility, and, don't waste the use of your gifts in this life

- Till We Have Faces (CS Lewis) -- pride, choices, epiphany so late in life (painful!)

- The Hiding Place (Corrie tenBoom) -- the powerful of doing good in the face of great evil

- The Man Who Was Thursday (GK Chesterton) -- love the paradox: relationship with God is not how we picture it; keeps me from trying to "put God in a box"

Okay, I know this one is not classic lit., but our family still uses and is inspired by the phrase "ash breeze" from Carry On Mr. Bowditz (Newberry book), knowing that the book was based on the life of a real man, who, in real life did not let set-backs and unhappy circumstances deter him. If the winds (circumstances) were not in his favor to sail his ship forward (accomplish his life goals and desires), he moved forward by "ash breeze" (hard rowing) -- in other words, he persevered and self-taught and made it happen through sweat, grit, and perseverance.

• Like 1

There are so many book that have really changed the way I look at things. I'm really glad we had assigned reading in school because even as an avid reader many of the books I wouldn't have chosen on my own. 

The House on Mango Street - Made me appreciate my Hispanic heritage. I went on to read more of the authors books

Fahrenheit 411 - Made me appreciate books and what literacy stands for in our society

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Made me question what made someone crazy or normal and how much power we should give to the government

A Clock Work Orange - made me question good and bad and if people are inherently good or evil 

Celestine Prophecy - I don't know if this qualifies at literature but it made me question if things happen by chance or by divine appointment

Anne of Green Gables - allowed me to feel free at a really hard time in my life. I would get lost in Anne's world. I connected with her and craved to have a simple life like her in green gables. 

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - helped me connect and understand racism as nothing else had. Slavery and Jim Crow seemed like another story in the history books till I read this book and it became real to me

Non-Fiction

Biography of Amy Carmichael - Made me realize so many of our problems are trivial. Helped me see beyond my world and gave me the desire to do more to help people. 

I think every literature book I have ever read has affected me in some way,that's probably why I'm so big on having my kids read them. Books been a big part of my life, a way to escape, go to a different world, peek inside of someone else's mind. I really hope to pass a love for books and reading on to my children. 

• Like 1

The Bible

The Bell Jar

The Prayer That Changes Everything

The Mark of the Lion series

WTM

WEM

This is my bare-bones, right to the heart, major impact books that have literally changed me.

My most impactful classic lit books would be like:

House of Mirth

Madame Bovary

Brave New World

Gulliver's Travels

And adding in the YWAM bios of missionaries.  Nate Saint and George Muller were big ones.

• Like 2

The Secret Garden - on one's choice of thoughts about life's circumstances

Pilgrim's Progress - that Christianity is HARD and always has been (if it is hard, it is not that I'm doing it wrong)

Moby Dick (I'm 3/4 through!!) - there's a paragraph about the soul as a ship in a stormy sea.  The sailor desires the safety and comfort of shore but the most dangerous thing he can do is to approach that shore in a storm.   I'm mangling it, but it is going on my wall as a cross-stitch.  It is about the risky, scary, vital business of deep thought.

Mindset by Carol Dweck

I guess I'm on a kick about thoughts!  These are what rise to the top of my brain right now.  Usually whatever I'm reading now is what most impacts me.  :) 

Lol, more like the 20th chapter. I'm listening to Les Mis on audio book right now, because I've been meaning to reread it for years and always get overwhelmed by the sheer length if it. (It's 65 disks, by the way, no less overwhelming, really). I think Jean Valjean was first introduced on disk 5.

Anyways Les Mis would definitely make my list, particularly because of that bishop. The Brothers Karamazov, because of the monk Father Zossima. Anna Karenina because it really fills me with compassion/mercy, which I tend to lack. Life and Fate for the same reason. I think all great novels make you a better person in the end.

I think the only "advice" type book that's ever affected me long-term was Simplicity Parenting, which was really viewpoint altering for me, in a very good way.

Les Miserables is my top book! I hate hate hate movie versions that cut off the first 19 chapters, which describe the bishop and are so so so enjoyable to read!

I appreciate the correction.  More precisely, I should have said:

Thanks for reminding me of Les Miserables.  I especially recall the first book called something like "A just man", about a generous and selfless priest, who later tells Jean Valjean, after saving him from the consequences of his theft, that now he has claimed him for good, forever.

viz:  "Jean Valjean, my brother, you no longer belong to evil, but to good. It is your soul that I buy from you; I withdraw it from black thoughts and the spirit of perdition, and I give it to God."

This situation is also described in the classic Indian text "Who am I?" by Ramana Maharshi, as follows:

"Just as the prey which has fallen into the jaws of the tiger has no escape, so those who have come within the gambit of the Guru's gracious look will be saved by the Guru and will not get lost."

Anothger passage I like by him:  "Whatever burdens are thrown on God he bears them.....We know that the train carries all loads, so after getting on it why should we carry our small luggage on our head to our disocmfort, instead of putting it down in the train and feeling at ease?"

You have also reminded me of some famous verses written in 1660 by my ancestor, James Nayler, an early  Quaker minister: "There is a spirit which I feel, that delights to do no evil..."