Menu

If you've been exposed to the flu...

momto10blessings

We just found out that a little boy in my daughter's co-op class was diagnosed with the flu a couple hours after co-op yesterday.

:)

I won't go on about why on earth would you send your child to co-op with a fever... Ahem.

What precautions would you take?

Obviously too late to wash hands.

Elderberry syrup? I've only used it for colds...

IIRC, there is a prophylactic dosage of Tamiflu for patients who have been exposed but have shown no symptoms. If your dd is in a high risk group for influenza complications (asthma, etc...,) you may want to check into that. Otherwise, push fluids and make sure she gets plenty of rest.

It stinks when people don't keep their germs to themselves! Sorry your kiddo was exposed!

IIRC, there is a prophylactic dosage of Tamiflu for patients who have been exposed but have shown no symptoms. If your dd is in a high risk group for influenza complications (asthma, etc...,) you may want to check into that. Otherwise, push fluids and make sure she gets plenty of rest.

It stinks when people don't keep their germs to themselves! Sorry your kiddo was exposed!

No one is high risk, it's just most of the 12 of us will end up getting it if one gets it. We'll have to cancel sports, classes, etc. And who the heck wants influenza??

I drink a ton of water and try to get extra rest. I have elderberry syrup when I feel a cold coming on, and I will take extra B and C. (I got the flu this year - do not know who I got it from - just woke up really sick - no time to fight it)

I won't go on about why on earth would you send your child to co-op with a fever... Ahem.

Because child may not have had fever yet (flu typically comes on quickly--I've had it hit in the middle of a church service).

Because child may not be communicating clearly to Mom that he isn't feeling well.

Because child may not even understand what he is feeling.

Because even though she is asking the right questions and analyzing child, Mom still may not be able to figure out if child is sick, tired, or just complaining.

Signed, the mom whose child went to her afternoon classes in February and had a fever an hour after coming home--after a morning of home school with mild complaints of a painful neck (but she sleeps on a mountain of stuffed animals), sore muscles (ran cross country and went to soccer for several hours the day before) and being tired (common morning symptom of adolescence here).

My best advice at this point is to take reasonable precautions for the rest of the family. Once we knew dd was sick, her sister moved out of the room and no one else got sick from her.

• Like 1

I would up the healthy food, don't miss any sleep or reasonable exercise, vitamins, fresh air.

This bug that my kids have now doesn't involve a fever until long after the puking begins.  That is probably why it is spreading so quickly.

Because child may not have had fever yet (flu typically comes on quickly--I've had it hit in the middle of a church service).

Because child may not be communicating clearly to Mom that he isn't feeling well.

Because child may not even understand what he is feeling.

Because even though she is asking the right questions and analyzing child, Mom still may not be able to figure out if child is sick, tired, or just complaining.

Signed, the mom whose child went to her afternoon classes in February and had a fever an hour after coming home--after a morning of home school with mild complaints of a painful neck (but she sleeps on a mountain of stuffed animals), sore muscles (ran cross country and went to soccer for several hours the day before) and being tired (common morning symptom of adolescence here).

My best advice at this point is to take reasonable precautions for the rest of the family. Once we knew dd was sick, her sister moved out of the room and no one else got sick from her.

I know sometimes it just happens, BUT I'm fb friends with this mom and her kids have been sick with high (103 degree) fevers all week. I thought for sure she would stay home but then I saw her at the end of co-op. Son was obviously miserable and she says "He's been burning up all day but we didn't want to miss co-op". No way was this an accident, she must just be a jerk.

• Like 2

I know sometimes it just happens, BUT I'm fb friends with this mom and her kids have been sick with high (103 degree) fevers all week. I thought for sure she would stay home but then I saw her at the end of co-op. Son was obviously miserable and she says "He's been burning up all day but we didn't want to miss co-op". No way was this an accident, she must just be a jerk.

We had this happen over and over.  With a family member who is immune-compromised, flu isn't "just" an illness.  It could be a very big deal.

And yet there they are -- with a sick kid at co-op or hacking away at church.

I know this won't make you feel any better, but I am reading you loud and clear. I think some people just.don't.think. when it comes to spreading bugs. If you have never been up all night with a child doing nebulizer treatments, (or been gasping for breath and sucking down albuterol yourself for days and sometimes weeks,) a respiratory virus is a trivial thing to you. You get sick, you rest, you get over it. It's that simple. Only for some people, it isn't that simple at all.  Some people will wind up on rounds of antibiotics and steroids (if they're lucky) or in the ER or hospitalized (if they aren't) just because someone couldn't keep their special snowflake home for a day or two. :glare:

Yeah, I've btdt. Maybe you should email the mom links to the CDC page on what to do when you are ill. (Hand washing, staying home, and all that.)

• Like 1

Elderberry, vitamins C and D.

My oldest went from running around at top speed to the sickest I'd ever seen her in under 10 minutes. She said she didn't feel well and her fever shot up to 104. We had the diagnosis a couple of hours later after trying to figure out urgent care in another state. IOW, it's entirely possible they had no idea their child was incubating flu.

ETA: Read your other post. That's incredibly inconsiderate! And poor kids. How miserable for them. :( Does the co-op have illness policy?

I hope y'all avoid it!

Oh this just infuriates me and while I know this isn't the point of the thread, I encourage you to talk to the co-op's leadership and have them make announcements and be very clear when you are to stay home. If those guidelines are in place, I would let the leadership know this woman brought a feverish child to co-op intentionally. This is just plain selfishness and irresponsibility to spread sickness around. And that poor kid belonged at home in his bed! :cursing:

Oh this just infuriates me and while I know this isn't the point of the thread, I encourage you to talk to the co-op's leadership and have them make announcements and be very clear when you are to stay home. If those guidelines are in place, I would let the leadership know this woman brought a feverish child to co-op intentionally. This is just plain selfishness and irresponsibility to spread sickness around. And that poor kid belonged at home in his bed! :cursing:

I pulled aside one leader before I left and let them know that her kids had fevers all week and that she told me that her son had been burning up all day. I also let her know that the boy had been diagnosed with the flu just hours after leaving co-op.

We do have sick policies, the same as local schools. Our leadership is good about reminding people about the sick rules every few weeks, but I guess some people need to be reminded every week.

Wow. That is incredibly selfish of her.

I've never had the flu and I don't know that either of my children have either. We don't seem to be overly susceptible, but I still wouldn't appreciate intentional exposure.