Menu

I have to turn in my Healthy Mom card now...

Ginevra

I bought three boxes of "junk" cereal for the kids to eat on vacation. I was planning to buy those little mini-boxes - you know the ones I mean - General Mills trash cereal, overpriced and in tiny boxes. But I couldn't find any, which is just as well. I have a teenaged son...he could probably eat all of them on the drive. So I bought regular boxes. Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Fruity Cheerios. (I still cannot make myself buy Froot Loops). And...drum roll...Lucky Charms.

My kids are acting like I brought home the winning scratch-off.

I was actually hoping none of my hs friends would see me at the store.

• Like 19

I have an old school friend who is very health conscious, but buys each of her kids (and her DH) a box of super sugary cereal on Christmas and their birthdays.  She wraps them up too.  They can eat it as fast or slow as they want, but that's basically it for a year.

IMHO, vacation should be fun.  Lucky Charms and Fruity Cheerios are yummy. :)  We used to cut the Fruity Cheerios with regular Cheerios to make it seem healthier....but I wouldn't do that on vacation.   Cereals like that usually are for grandparents' house in our family. 

• Like 4

I always buy my kids POP TARTS when we go on vacation!

Oh, they love those, too. Sometimes, DD will go get groceries for me (perk of having a driving child!), but part of the concession I've made is knowing she will buy Pop Tarts!

• Like 1

We always have junk for vacations and special days (weeks) like birthdays. After about a week of eating nothing but junk, we all feel miserable, and my girls now understand why junk food is not something you want to have a lot of, lol.

• Like 3

Yep, poptarts here for vacation. I'm in the club too, though. A couple weeks ago it was just me, ds2 and dd home, so I asked them what I should make for dinner. One of them piped up that we should drive through Wendy's and get french fries and frosties. Yeah, I did.

• Like 5

What is with this? I make amazingly nutritious bone broth and meals that will keep them alive forever! And they whine and complain. I bring home "lord knows what in a box" and I get a smile and "Thank you, Mommy." It's like they're trying to train us.
  • Like 5

What is with this? I make amazingly nutritious bone broth and meals that will keep them alive forever! And they whine and complain. I bring home "lord knows what in a box" and I get a smile and "Thank you, Mommy." It's like they're trying to train us.

Ha! Yeah, good point! Why don't they go ga-ga when I serve up my home-canned, home-grown tomatoes?

• Like 2

I bought a box of Lucky Charms for our ADULT children who spent a week at our inlaws' house earlier this month. Whatever it takes, I say. The kids are 20 and 22 and they acted like little kids when they saw it. 

Side note: my inlaws eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch and honestly think it's a healthy choice. No joke. I got flak for bringing in Lucky Charms but they had TWO boxes of that cinnamon stuff and they ate it every day even though I offered to fix them an omelet when I made mine and dh's.  MIL also ate cereal for dinner two nights while we were there. 

You must be doing something right if junk food is seen as a treat- so I do not accept your Healthy Mom Card resignation. 

That's why I love this board- I have an IRL friend who is trying to convince me that 'everything in moderation' is a stupid mindset and she strives to NEVER eat anything that's not good for her. And her list of what's bad for her is loooong. So I love to be able to come here and fess up that I still eat junk occasionally and that I'm totally on board with that being ok. 

• Like 3

The healthy eating thing blew up in my face a couple weeks ago when DH and I were both sick and the kids were ravenous. I opened three boxes of sugar-laden cereal to find one they'd actually eat, and at one point I told them to "eat the stupid hot dog or starve, because I'm not making you a salad."

• Like 1

I bought three boxes of "junk" cereal for the kids to eat on vacation. I was planning to buy those little mini-boxes - you know the ones I mean - General Mills trash cereal, overpriced and in tiny boxes. But I couldn't find any, which is just as well. I have a teenaged son...he could probably eat all of them on the drive. So I bought regular boxes. Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Fruity Cheerios. (I still cannot make myself buy Froot Loops). And...drum roll...Lucky Charms.

I was actually hoping none of my hs friends would see me at the store.

LOL... I remember one time my teenaged dd had been asking for pop tarts..for the longest time.   "Absolutely Not!" said I.     A few months later, after she'd given up hope and in a moment of mommy love, I broke down and surprised her with Pop Tarts.   Yeah, you'd thought I'd bought them a Unicorn or something... and one dd said, "Where is my mother and what have you done with her???" 

• Like 3

I hope you got some quality chocolate and/or wine and/or something yummy for yourself, too. Vacation essentials, in my book. ;)

Shhh! I bought Giardelli chocolate, but I'm trying to lie to myself that it's for Easter.

Yep, poptarts here for vacation. I'm in the club too, though. A couple weeks ago it was just me, ds2 and dd home, so I asked them what I should make for dinner. One of them piped up that we should drive through Wendy's and get french fries and frosties. Yeah, I did.

When my kids get treats like this, I've been known to say, "Thanks, mom! You're the best mom, ever!"

My kids then repeat it back to me. ;)

• Like 4