Menu

How concerning should this be?

lispy

Last night at churce, DD13 was in choir.  She says she all of a sudden got very cold, to the point of shivering.  That lasted only moments ("maybe a minute or so"), then she got very hot and felt "sweaty and dizzy but wasn't really sweating, just felt like she was".  Then she got a headache.  She excused herself, went to the bathroom and her face was red.  She splashed her face with cold water for a bit and everything returned to normal (including the headache went away).  She "thinks" the whole episode was less than 5 minutes in duration.   She went back to choir and that was that.   She has felt normal ever since.

The only thing I could think of was possible blood sugar drop.  I used to have similar (but not exactly this) sweaty/dizziness if I had gone without eating for too long.  But dd had eaten about an hour or so before this.  No recent changes in diet or activities lately. 

I told her to definitely let me know if it happens again, and then we would make an appointment to see about it.  Is this enough, or does this sound like something I should have evaluated now, even though it's just one episode?   If it makes a difference, she is rarely sick.  I actually don't even remember the last time she was sick. The last time she went to doctor was for regular checkup at age 10 or 11. 

Did she lock her knees?

hmmmm.....that is a good question, and one I did not think to ask.   I know this is something they talk about in choir (not doing it), but that doesn't mean she wasn't!   I need to ask her about this.  (She's not here now, but will be home soon).  But,  I can see how that would make sense.

I like Jean's idea here, it sounds a bit POTSy.  Postural Orhostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, if I remember that right.  

It also sounds like the reactions I used to have after eating shellfish.  I didn't know an allergy was developing, but sure enough - now I have a severe one.  So maybe think about the foods she ate, though it doesn't sound like any of my food allergic kid's reactions.  More like mine, which were minor for 20 years (now the reactions are not minor).

Maybe make a note on the calendar and if it happens again, call the doc?

Good luck.  Hopefully it was a virus starting (like a nice, simple cold) and will not happen again!

It also sounds like the reactions I used to have after eating shellfish.  I didn't know an allergy was developing, but sure enough - now I have a severe one.  So maybe think about the foods she ate, though it doesn't sound like any of my food allergic kid's reactions.  More like mine, which were minor for 20 years (now the reactions are not minor).

She just had a ham sandwich and carrots, so fairly benign foods as far as allergies go (at least I think so), but this is interesting---I haven't heard of food allergies presenting this way. 

She just had a ham sandwich and carrots, so fairly benign foods as far as allergies go (at least I think so), but this is interesting---I haven't heard of food allergies presenting this way. 

I hadn't either, and I'm an allergy mom.   :blushing:  My kiddo has multiple life threatening allergies, and I grew up with my own mother having anaphylaxis periodically due to her allergies.  You'd think I'd know.  But, for whatever reason, I had those types of reactions after shellfish for 20 years - sometimes but not all the times.  I'm now severely allergic.  It's a bummer.

So, you might just keep an eye out on what she's eaten if it happens again.  But I think it's unlikely.  Still, thought I'd throw it out for you.

Editing.  I'm "now severely allergic"... typos...

• Like 1

Had she just stood up to sing?  or had another postural change?  Those sound like the kinds of symptoms that can go along with low blood pressure from getting up too quickly.  it is common in girls of that age.  If it continues or she starts to get migraines afterward (like my dd does) then I'd go to the doctor.  

She was standing, but said she had been standing for at least 5 minutes when it happened, so not a sudden movement. 

I wondered if she'd been standing for a while. I have neurally-mediated hypotension, which basically means that every now and then my brain thinks my body is in stress and sends a bunch of my blood to my extremities. My blood pressure drops precipitously, and I feel dizzy, get cold sweats and, if I'm not careful, can pass out.

I used to have trouble often when I was singing with a choir, actually. Rooms that are crowded or stuff make it worse, as does humid heat. 

My first episode was when I was about 10 or 11. I was standing in the bathroom while my mother did my hair for an event, and I fainted. At the time, they thought it might be epilepsy, but a bunch of testing turned up nothing. I had issues on and off through my teen years, and a bunch of doctors essentially brushed me off. Only when I was in my late 20s and things got worse did I finally get diagnosed.

I was on medication for a while, until I wanted to get pregnant with my son. Since then, I've been able to manage it without medication. Because I now recognize the symptoms and understand that the issue is standing still, I am proactive about moving around or doing things to keep my circulation going when I start to feel woozy. 

I worked at WDW for a few years and sometimes got stuck at one of the small outdoor merchandise carts. Being outside in the Florida summer heat and humidity and having no real space to roam was pretty much a recipe for problems. So,I got really good at finding reasons to keep moving. I bounced balls, played with toys, danced to the music playing in the courtyard . . .

For what it's worth, this kind of problem does seem to crop up for lots of teens, especially girls, and most grow out of it. 

• Like 1

I actually had episodes like this fairly regularly at this age.  I am not sure if it was swooping blood sugar, hormones changing, rapid growth, or what.  Summer heat would be worse for me.  I personally wouldn't panic over a one time incident.  I'd pack her with a water bottle and a granola bar.  And make sure she's eating a good combo of fat/protein/carbs on a regular basis.  It doesn't hurt to get it checked out if you're feeling like it might be a bigger deal!

• Like 2

Maybe related to her menstrual cycle?

I wondered about this also.  She hasn't started yet.  She has been a later in developing in comparison to my other girls, but all the signs are there for her to start any time now.

• Like 1

I wondered if she'd been standing for a while. I have neurally-mediated hypotension, which basically means that every now and then my brain thinks my body is in stress and sends a bunch of my blood to my extremities. My blood pressure drops precipitously, and I feel dizzy, get cold sweats and, if I'm not careful, can pass out.

I used to have trouble often when I was singing with a choir, actually. Rooms that are crowded or stuff make it worse, as does humid heat. 

My first episode was when I was about 10 or 11. I was standing in the bathroom while my mother did my hair for an event, and I fainted. At the time, they thought it might be epilepsy, but a bunch of testing turned up nothing. I had issues on and off through my teen years, and a bunch of doctors essentially brushed me off. Only when I was in my late 20s and things got worse did I finally get diagnosed.

I was on medication for a while, until I wanted to get pregnant with my son. Since then, I've been able to manage it without medication. Because I now recognize the symptoms and understand that the issue is standing still, I am proactive about moving around or doing things to keep my circulation going when I start to feel woozy. 

I worked at WDW for a few years and sometimes got stuck at one of the small outdoor merchandise carts. Being outside in the Florida summer heat and humidity and having no real space to roam was pretty much a recipe for problems. So,I got really good at finding reasons to keep moving. I bounced balls, played with toys, danced to the music playing in the courtyard . . .

For what it's worth, this kind of problem does seem to crop up for lots of teens, especially girls, and most grow out of it. 

Wow, I have never heard of this. That's scary!   I'm glad they finally figured it out (after all those years!) and you now are able to control it.

I actually had episodes like this fairly regularly at this age.  I am not sure if it was swooping blood sugar, hormones changing, rapid growth, or what.  Summer heat would be worse for me.  I personally wouldn't panic over a one time incident.  I'd pack her with a water bottle and a granola bar.  And make sure she's eating a good combo of fat/protein/carbs on a regular basis.  It doesn't hurt to get it checked out if you're feeling like it might be a bigger deal!

Good idea for packing the granola bar/water.  We aren't much of a snacking kind of family (Well....we snack at home...more than we should!!....but we never take food with us to places. 

Thanks everyone!!

I am definitely not going to panic at this point.   My thought was to not worry about it at all really and just see if it ever happens again.   I was mostly worried I was being too unconcerned about it.   I tend to wait most things out, and they usually resolve themselves.  We are not anti-doctor by any means...we've just been lucky enough not to need them very much, but I also know that could change at any moment.

But it sounds like it is probably "just a thing" that won't present any problems.   If it happens more, we will look further into in to it.

• Like 1

When I was pregnant many moons ago, I started shivering uncontrollably late at night, so off to the ER we went.  They did all kinds of tests and finally the doctor concluded she thought I was about to get the flu.  Sure enough, 2 days later that's what happened.  I hope that's not the case with your daughter, but I thought I'd let you know that might be a possibility.

When I was pregnant many moons ago, I started shivering uncontrollably late at night, so off to the ER we went.  They did all kinds of tests and finally the doctor concluded she thought I was about to get the flu.  Sure enough, 2 days later that's what happened.  I hope that's not the case with your daughter, but I thought I'd let you know that might be a possibility.

hmmmm.....I don't like this option....I think I'll pick one of the others :P

• Like 1