Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm considering the 1,000 hours outside challenge. I probably did less than 15 hours outside because this year had two flares that lasted over 3 months (I haven't left the house since October 1st), but we were hoping to spend more time as a family this year as things are getting easier for Matt and I want to modify it. Something like 1,000 hours distributed amongst all 6 outside, or doing fun things or something. I was going to try to leave the house every other week this year. If we go out for 3 hours that's 468 hours between the six of us right there.

Thinking. 

It's an any excuse to make a bujo spread Booya! 

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon!

Happy Sunday!

Happy New Year's Eve!

Our New Years Eve tradition is that we all stay up until midnight and wish each other a Happy New Year.  For the hours before that, the girls have an Epic Lightsaber Battle.  They turn off the lights and play the Star Wars soundtrack and battle it out in the dark.  It's fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Happy New Year, everyone!!

Slashie, how did John do?? Do we have a budding Billy Graham on our hands??

We had a nice evening. I did something entirely out of character and invited some friends over for dinner. Spontaneously. We had tacos. It was a nice time. They left around 9:30. Then we watched tv until the ball dropped. Had lots of junk food and sparkling cider. Did these dumb confetti poppers. I actually had to be carded at the AFSA to buy them and they didn’t even have gunpowder. They supposedly worked off air pressure (like that’s going to hurt anyone) and they really didn’t even work. Eventually they made the tv room a gold and silver mess, but…. seriously? They carded me for that?? What is the world coming to?

Today….I don’t know. Take down Christmas decorations. Get my Reading Challenge organized and maybe start my first book. I have the second Elisabeth Elliot biography that was recently written.

It’s foggy out.

• Like 3

Good morning!  Happy New Year! 🎉

Also it's The Queen's favorite day!

I went to bed after the online website said it was the New Year and we blew on our sparkling cider mini bottles like a demented jug band due to not having any other confetti poppers or noise makers.  

Little Pup has been taken out a couple times and had his breakfast and I suppose I should take Sir Pups-a-lot on his morning constitutional.

Coffee!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Slashie, how did John do?? Do we have a budding Billy Graham on our hands??

He said um a lot, but generally pretty good. Message:

Judas betrayed Jeaus, most disciples abandon him, Peter stayed what he felt was a safe distance, and John stayed by his side. Which disciple are you?

• Like 4

I did go to church yesterday. Maybe they didn't remember the week before. Luckily, there was nursery. After church she broke away from me and army crawled under the rows of chairs to the front. Dd14 and I were each on the sides of the front row and tried to get her out but she gripped the chair legs with hands and feet so we had to pry. When one of the jolly men of the congregation asked if she had a good Christmas, she gave him a very grumpy "NO!!"  ???What in the world?? She had a wonderful Christmas. He told us she was a handful. An old man at the nursing home last week told me she was a handful. I am reminded of the Betty Bunny books. "Betty Bunny was a handful. She knew this was a very good thing because people were always telling her this."

I put the same dd down for a nap and decided since we were no longer having guests for dinner today that it was my opportunity to take down the Christmas tree. I had all the ornaments down quickly. I just filled up a laundry basket. They aren't packed yet. Had to untangle the crazy web of 15 strings of lights that my husband put on that tree. Everything is in the garage but needs packed. It is time for a new tree, with lights. Dd didn't take a nap after all. I'm tearing my hair out with her. I'm too old for this. I ended up taking her to the pharmacy to get our last Rx of the old year. I was there 10 min before closing and was the last customer.

Came home and cleaned and made food for the night. I was behind so we couldn't eat before the fireworks show. Dd3 was miserable even during the fireworks because she had no nap. Fireworks were very nice. Everyone enjoyed our appetizer foods dinner at  nearly 9 since all were starving. Dd3 went to bed easily since she was tired. This means, she only climbed out of her crib and hid in the closet once. This was the first year the big kids stayed up until midnight. We usually go to bed around 10. We stayed up and played cards until 12:05. It was fun. Everyone is happy to sleep in, except, of course, dd3 who went to bed 3 hrs before the rest.

The living room is a bit sad and dark now without the glowing tree. I have our little village and a string of star lights in the window and a bunch of battery candles going to take the edge off.

Happy New Year!

• Like 2

Oh, the great part of the card playing was my brilliant idea to play in pajamas. Everyone was dressed and brushed for bed, so when we were finished, we went straight to sleep. And when the kids were getting ready, I folded 2 loads of laundry so I woke to the New Year with no laundry to fold 😄

Edited by Dianthus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

He said um a lot, but generally pretty good. Message:

Judas betrayed Jeaus, most disciples abandon him, Peter stayed what he felt was a safe distance, and John stayed by his side. Which disciple are you?

That’s really good. I think we do have a budding Billy Graham on our hands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year.

I don't have laundry to fold but I have laundry to put away.

Dh finished painting our kitchen this weekend and finally put up a bunch of decorations we have.  It's very fishing themed, but the kitchen is definitely dh's territory.  Plus I do like it.   It looks nice.  

We're hoping to keep the breakfast bar in front of the windows cleaned off a little better so I can use part of it as a desk, plus have the under desk stepper underneath and get back to doing that in the morning while using my happy light.   

I accomplished a lot at work but still have more to do (as always).   

• Like 4

I unChristmased, too. And iNapped. Now I am contemplating.  I have several of my late Grandma's paintings. I have always had one over my fireplace. It's nice. I'm thinking about changing it out for one of her larger ones. It'll be a little...how do I put it....decoratingly daring.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I unChristmased, too. And iNapped. Now I am contemplating.  I gave several of my late Grandma's paintings. I have always had one over my fireplace. It's nice. I'm thinking about changing it out for one of her larger ones. It'll be a little...how do I put it....decoratingly daring.

Oh wow, I really like it. It actually came out of the frame. My Grandma had it in a huge, heavy frame. And i was thinking it would be too big for the space. But i picked it up and the canvas came out of the frame, so i just left it that way. I have it sitting frameless on the mantle and really like it this way. It a seascape with greens, grays and browns.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

We have unChristmased. I am now cucumbering. I am not goingbto be sued over my dad.

Well done!

We have not unChristmased.  That will probably happen towards the end of January.

Dd17 said the staff of winter camp did a modified polar bear plunge (modified to being in the water up to their waists for 2 minutes instead of submersing due to Very Cold Temp regulations) and during those 2 minutes did the Macarena and played patty-cake.  Teenagers are weird.  Not one of them gave a poignant sermon on discipleship, lol.

• Like 1

Curious about cucumbering? Is that code for something?

I had asked upthread about the daring painting, thinking it was cubist or something. Then saw it was a seascape so removed question. However, still wondering why it was daring if just a seascape?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dianthus said:

I had asked upthread about the daring painting, thinking it was cubist or something. Then saw it was a seascape so removed question. However, still wondering why it was daring if just a seascape?

I was eating cucumbers. 😆

I marinated them in coconut aminos (soy sauce), rice vinegar, ginger, garlic and sugar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Not daring because it was a seascape but daring because it's a little big for the space. But I took it out of the frame and it's not hanging in the wall, but sitting in the mantle. I think it works. 

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!! The Holidays are officially over. Today is my last day of vacation. Gotta take the car to the shop, make some phone calls (svengo) and work on curriculum for our Wednesday night program at church. Not exactly the way I want to spend my day, but it’s gotta be done.

• Like 2

Good morning!

I love that painting - looks great there on the mantle!  

I'm dropping the girls off at a surprise swing dance birthday party after lunch and in the meantime will run to the store for groceries and a couple things for dd17 who leaves tomorrow on another scouting adventure.  I should probably make a meal plan for the rest of the week.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Morning, Happy Tuesday.

I'm off all week but today is the last day my schedule is completely open until the weekend so the last day to finish up some stuff at work.  

Tomorrow I meet with my admin to go over the database she put together for me to track registrations better, and I told dd we could go to the mall in the afternoon.   She has Christmas money to spend.

Thursday I'm getting my massage, dh got me a gift card for Christmas.

Friday I have an appointment with a new doctor, actually a NP, for a physical.   

• Like 3

Good morning!

yawn.

I was up at extra dark o'clock to bring dd17 to the crew meet-up place.  It's so freaking cold out there.  But it's even colder where they are going - Northern MN near the border of Canada.  They'll be ice skating and backpacking on a lake and maybe do some ice fishing.  If they get any snow they might be able to ski and make snow shelters to sleep in.

Little Pup is having breakfast when he remembers it's there and Sir Pups-a-lot is growling to get into the girls' room.  I'm having coffee and may try for second sleep.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Humph Day!!

Work for me, DH and DS, girls are still on vacation till the end of the week. 

My car is still at the mechanic, so it’s good that the girls don’t have school. I also don’t have a way to get them to soccer practice, and they are pretty happy about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finished my first book of 2024 - Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed.  It was good and disturbing and sad.  It's primarily letters and responses from the advice column she wrote and deals a lot with childhood trauma. It is definitely not "Dear Abby".   I picked it up because I loved her book Wild about backpacking the Pacific Coast Trail.  I don't yet know what category it will go under.

Have to take out Little Pup and then leave for string quartet.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I finished my first book of 2024 - Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed.  It was good and disturbing and sad.  It's primarily letters and responses from the advice column she wrote and deals a lot with childhood trauma. It is definitely not "Dear Abby".   I picked it up because I loved her book Wild about backpacking the Pacific Coast Trail.  I don't yet know what category it will go under.

Have to take out Little Pup and then leave for string quartet.

I loved "Wild". I will need to pick that one up, next after I finish the Elisabet Elliot one I am reading. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

My car is still at the mechanic, so it’s good that the girls don’t have school. I also don’t have a way to get them to soccer practice, and they are pretty happy about that.

Their coach picked them up. Humph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1