Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dh is making noises about maybe wanting to retire before 70.  He's 67 now.   He feels like his mental capacity isn't where it used to be, he's tired, he misses fishing (he went on a trip when we were in Maine).   He was worried because I don't bring in much money from the science center and insurance would be a big need for me and the kids.  But NJ has a program that is free for families and the income levels are pretty high so we should be good there.  Finding that out I think made him feel better about it.   And I have things I can do that will bring in more money at work that we just haven't done because it involves more hours, etc.   

I told him he should retire when he needs to and we'll manage.  Worst case scenario is I close the science center (or he teaches some classes) and I go back to work as an executive assistant or a teacher or something like that.  

ETA:  A retirement booya?   I like a "things will be fine" booya better.  

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Humph Day!!

School and work.

I have no classes or meetings today. A whole stretch of a day to try to wrap my mind around a couple new things my school has been implementing this year and get. them. done. I have been so busy since school started and these things have been confusing me, etc. and I have pretty much been ignoring them and pretending they didn’t exist. but today…. today I will shut off my phone, no texts or calls and just hammer it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We waited 3.5 hours at the DMV--the first 1.5 of it outside on the concrete--and got as far as having our documents verified and taking a number and waiting inside. DS wanted to take his learner's permit test but was not served. There is only a 4.5 hour window when it is possible to be served.

Might bring camping gear tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday Eve!!

School and work!!

I was really productive yesterday and a lot less stressed. Generally speaking, my job has like a million moving parts and no two days are the same.  I have 22 families I have to see every 4 weeks, tons of paperwork, classes to teach on Zoom, teachers meetings, etc it’s just a lot. But yesterday, for some bizarre reason, the planets aligned and I had nothing. I turned off my phone, didn’t check my email and focused on on my mountain of paperwork and felt a lot better about life. I need to try to find a way to get more days like that. But I’m not sure how.

Today….I have two classes to teach and am not really prepared for either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

Oh 73349.  That stinks.  No appointments?  Good grief - I thought it was bad at the DMV here but that's beyond ridiculous!

Tutorial is off this week and next week so the Youngests are home with me.  It works out well because Ds28 needs the car to go into the office in the Big City.  I still need to walk Sir Pups-a-lot and then get going with my list.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

That stinks.  No appointments?  Good grief - I thought it was bad at the DMV here but that's beyond ridiculous!

Service by appointment is offered in the morning. They will only schedule appointments three months out. There are no appointments available in our part of the state until mid-December, in the last day or so of the open window (i.e., long enough for Baby to forget what he learned in drivers' ed).

We are going back tomorrow.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hello, I guess I haven't checked in since Tuesday.  It's been crazy.  Week 2 of classes, so far things are going well, teachers are happy, students are happy, most parents are happy (some a just bs crazy and will never be happy).   Dh and I had to share a car twice this week since ds wanted to go to an event on campus and we want to encourage him to be more social, so I had a couple long days at work.

Today was my first 4H STEM club meetings for the year, plus I had a board meeting, so another long day.  

But I get to sleep in tomorrow.  I don't have to get up for anything, don't have to go anywhere, can just stay home.  And clean.  And do laundry.  And stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Slache said:

New word: Tachos. Tater tot nachos. Breakfast tachos are totally a thing.

I'll eat nachos periodically, but I don't actually particularly like nacho cheese. Or any processed cheese, for that matter. Except the powdered kind on Cheetos or Cheez Its. I get a hankering for those sometimes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

I'll eat nachos periodically, but I don't actually particularly like nacho cheese. Or any processed cheese, for that matter. Except the powdered kind on Cheetos or Cheez Its. I get a hankering for those sometimes. 

I use cheddar on nachos.

I like nacho cheese if I'm like at the movies or a game. Nacho cheese is like taco bell or McDonald's. It's not really what it's pretending to be, but it has it's place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning!

Hope you can get second sleep, Junie!

Also Second Breakfast, because it's the nirthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins!  🎉

I am a fan of nacho cheese.  I'll pretty much eat any kind of cheese or cheese-like substance.  This morning's scrambled eggs with veggies had American cheese and colby-jack.  I guess I don't care much for goat cheese.

I have some decluttering/cleaning spaces planned for today.  Late this afternoon the girls have planned some outdoor fun and games near the library for the girls in their scout troop.  Kickball if there are enough who come or bean bag toss, pickleball, or bocce ball if not.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Hope you can get second sleep, Junie!

Also Second Breakfast, because it's the nirthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins!  🎉

I am a fan of nacho cheese.  I'll pretty much eat any kind of cheese or cheese-like substance.  This morning's scrambled eggs with veggies had American cheese and colby-jack.  I guess I don't care much for goat cheese.

I have some decluttering/cleaning spaces planned for today.  Late this afternoon the girls have planned some outdoor fun and games near the library for the girls in their scout troop.  Kickball if there are enough who come or bean bag toss, pickleball, or bocce ball if not.

Coffee!

Please eat cheese for both of us. The evil Food Sensitivity Test has revealed that I should avoid dairy.🤨

• Sad 6

Morning.  I'm feeling icky.  Pretty sure it's mainly allergies since it's that time of year and that feeling.  Slightly scratchy throat, stuffy nose, tired.  I slept in until around 10am and I'm still tired.   

I still haven't got back to WW and working out since our vacation.  The past two weeks with classes starting and the car sharing and stuffy head/nose have really put a damper on it.  But I am going to get back to it all next week.  Definitely.

I was supposed to run a workshop tomorrow but I ended up cancelling due to lack of enrollment.  I only had three kids enroll, and they've all done the activity at one level in summer camp so I was planning to do a more involved project but it requires more people to really work.    I used to offer workshops before covid but stopped and I scheduled three this fall to see if there was interest enough to bring them back.  Right now, it seems like their might not be enough interest to continue past the three.  

• Like 3

Tried some pepper jack bite size cheese crisp, cracker look alikes from Costco. They are really good! 

We had a poppyseed cake for the hobbit bday. And I gave ds3 a dictation sentence from the bday party. "I know less than half of you half as well as I would like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." He just sighed and put his head on the table. He hates dictation. Everyone laughed.

@Slache I got the Andre movie from the library and we watched about 30 min last night. I don't like the way the older siblings talk to each other and some of the other behavior issues in the movie, so I think I'll quietly return it to the library tomorrow.

I found the lost library book!! It fell into my box bag where I stack my reusable shopping bags and was in between the bags. So happy it's found!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

DMV report: a second entire afternoon shot; despite waiting 4 hours, DS did not get a chance to take the test. We are going back Wednesday hopefully when they open at 7am with camp chairs, school books, a picnic lunch, and a battery back-up for our phones.

DH stayed home from work sick yesterday and now I'm sniffling myself. *sigh* Company arrives Thursday, family wedding next Saturday, different company arriving the following Tuesday. Ima do the things today. Air purifiers are running.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3