Menu

Ignore this thread!

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Go, Renai!!

The best piece of advice I ever got was when I was student teaching. it was just before I taught my very first lesson. He said, “Somebody is going to be in charge in that classroom.  Either you or them. And it better be you!” I remind myself of that piece of advice every time I get in front of kids. It is advice that has served me well over the years.

Tbh, that is the least of my concerns. I've always had a pretty good handle on that part. Maybe because of my military brattiness 😅, although I'm nowhere near drill sergeant personality. 

It's all the little pieces. Setting up the routines and procedures are really different than prek. Center (math and reading) rotations while doing small groups, transitions, assigning homework. Do I hafta give them homework? And then I have to grade it all? All?... I already told her I am not giving paper tests for Bible. What does an upper elementary class routine day look like? I know what it looks like when I've subbed for other teachers, but how did it get that way? What are a group of 4th and 5th graders like all day? Where are they developmentally? What type of setup/group vs individual things do they need? What are the expectations for those age groups? What the heck am I doing?

Things like that. 

• Like 2

Let me see if I can remember anything from when I taught 4th-6th... 23 years ago?

I think the best thing that I did was that I practically eliminated homework.  The kids I taught were in a private school -- and most of them went to both before-school-care and after-school-care.  Which meant that they were at school from 6am to 6pm.  It was my opinion that any time that they had with their parents should not be spent on doing homework.  

I gave the kids plenty of time in class to do their work and anything that they didn't finish (because they were goofing off, not working hard), then it was homework.  It didn't take long for them to figure out that it was to their benefit to work hard during class.  This also took care of most of the behavioral issues.

And it endeared the parents to me. :)

---

We had scheduled rest room and water breaks, which helped to not have so many interruptions during our classtime.

---

I had a candy jar with Smarties and Dum-Dums.  They were each allowed to choose a candy every time we had a test.

---

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the birthday wishes.   

I'm having my breakfast and tea before heading back to the 4H Fair for another day.  

One of dds artworks won a Best in Show.    Our robots were very popular, our coloring recycled styrofoam figurines has also been very popular and we may run out before the end of today.   Such a simple, inexpensive thing but the kids (and parents) love it.  

Tonight is the tricky tray and maybe I'll win lots of stuff for my birthday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Hi Junie! I wondered who was here with me.

:) I'm a nightowl on the East Coast.

Actually, I'm going to get ready for bed in a few minutes.  I'm still fighting this cold and not sure if I'm going to make it to church tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'm stressing science curriculum for the upcoming year. This is the first time I've ever waited so long to order. If I order the science Oldest picked (I let him choose between 3 I am ok with), then that will mean earth science in 8th, but I wasn't planning for that until 9th because high school credit. Guess I need to research how that works here. Ugh, if only planning for 7th didn't include mapping out all of highschool, it would be so much easier! 🤣

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

Morning.

Thank you again for all the birthday wishes.  We won a gift card for Applebees at the fair tricky tray.  I did the calling of numbers.  My voice held up fine but my legs are killing me this morning from standing the whole time after walking around at the fair.  

Today is the last day and it's a shorter one.  Done at 4pm and I'm not racing to get there right at 10am.   

Dd and her visiting friend had some issues yesterday.  Not sure what they were since dd didn't know, just friend wasn't talking to her.  Could have been nothing more than too much togetherness and needing some quiet so we'll see how it is today.   Friend leaves first thing tomorrow (very first thing 6am flight).

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm stressing science curriculum for the upcoming year. This is the first time I've ever waited so long to order. If I order the science Oldest picked (I let him choose between 3 I am ok with), then that will mean earth science in 8th, but I wasn't planning for that until 9th because high school credit. Guess I need to research how that works here. Ugh, if only planning for 7th didn't include mapping out all of highschool, it would be so much easier! 🤣

Hey Servie, good to see you!! What curriculum are you looking at??

• Like 3

Oh, and…. I dropped (and broke) my pampered chef pizza stone last night. I got it at one of my bridal showers 21 years ago. I need to replace it, and I want to get a good one. I don’t know anyone selling Pampered Chef, so anyone have any suggestions??

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Oh, and…. I dropped (and broke) my pampered chef pizza stone last night. I got it at one of my bridal showers 21 years ago. I need to replace it, and I want to get a good one. I don’t know anyone selling Pampered Chef, so anyone have any suggestions??

I don't think you need to buy from an individual sales rep anymore.  I think you can just go to their website and order.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I plan to do HS earth in 8th and either scale down the output or give HS credit. Barean Builders? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Slache said:

This makes no sense. Are we talking about Biology now?

No, sorry. Oldest originally picked Atomic Age for this year (7th) which would've meant Earth next year in 8th. Atomic Age has 12 weeks of human tissue, bones, skeletal system, nervous system, respiratory system, digestive system, ect. Oldest couldn't backpedal fast enough once he sat down and actually read the TOC. We already covered most of that stuff this past school year and he's in no hurry to study it again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Edpo:

My long-range plan/thought has been to do R&S 8 for 7th grade and then R&S 9/10 for 8th. After, we would start highschool with BB Earth and progress from there. But it looks like R&S 8 covers a condensed version of the same stuff as Atomic and Earth and R&S 9/10 covers chemistry and physics? Would we just be repeating the same stuff?🤷🙃

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Edpo:

My long-range plan/thought has been to do R&S 8 for 7th grade and then R&S 9/10 for 8th. After, we would start highschool with BB Earth and progress from there. But it looks like R&S 8 covers a condensed version of the same stuff as Atomic and Earth and R&S 9/10 covers chemistry and physics? Would we just be repeating the same stuff?🤷🙃

It looks like it. Here's my plan for my anatomy child:

We did Apologia K-6.

7th: Exploration Education (physical)

8th: BB Earth

9th: Apologia Biology 

10th: Apologia Chemistry 

11th: Apologia Physics or a non lab physics TBD, or do Anatomy here and read a book about basic physics.

12th: Apologia Anatomy

My nature child who absolutely does not want to spend a year on the human body will do Berean HS science unless I find something better, but won't be doing HS classes until HS. In 8th I plan to have her hold a nature study and watercolor course for her little brothers and assign some reading to her.

• Like 4

He'sin 7th? If I wanted to do Earth, Bio, Chem, Physics in high school, I would do weird things now. Nature study, history of science, creation and evolution, biographies, forensics. 

Alternatively, I would start HS early so they could do higher level weird things later. School is boring. Weird stuff is better. 

Robotics! Do robotics. That should be inexpensive. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday!!😩😩

It’s my last week of vacation. Ugh!! the summer has gone by too quickly.

My car is having major problems. Had it at the shop last week, still didn’t fix the problem. It makes this really weird noise when you brake. It’s almost 20 years old and has 186,000 miles on it. Sienna. It’s been a good car. i don’t really want to get another one, but I’m going to be doing a lot more driving this year for work, so I need something I can trust.  DH is taking it to the shop this afternoon when he gets off work.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

For science and history I taught them "everything" in elementary so they had a foundation and I'm going to teach them "everything" in high school because it's the highest level and what's expected in the real world. I didn't want to do that again in middle. John took a year off writing to write a fantasy novel, we're doing American history over 2 years and the history of science over two years, science is kinda chaotic, but they're enjoying it. Everything gets serious at some point so for now we're taking advantage.

• Like 4

On 7/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, KrissiK said:

You can order online from anyone. In fact, in a Chik Fil A line, I took the picture of the back of a van that had his Pampered Chef info there. 😄  Here's his link: https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/cloibl . But you can go on the website and just order, or find a consultant near you.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 6:33 AM, Susan in TN said:

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 🎉
🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

Happy Nirthday, Toto!!

🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈    
🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Belated Nirthday wishes, Toto! Hope you had a great day.

• Like 3