Menu

Ignore this thread!

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I did not do SOTW.  Can I still be on this board? 

No. I’m sorry. You’re going to have to turn your key in at the door,

Just kidding.

Don’t go.

Seriously!! I was just kidding.

oh great!! I get a Booya/h for pretending to kick Jeannie off the boards?

Edited by KrissiK
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

So, it is official. My homeschooling days will be over in a couple short weeks. Baby got accepted to Christian School. It has to be this way, but…. I wish I had another first and second grader to do fun things with. I loved homeschooling. But not homeschooling and working.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That’s ok. It’s what your life is about right now.  My life is about weed whacking. Yours is about edpos. 

This. GB, I'm right there with you edpo'ing like a mad woman some days. And tbh, I really have never seen so many 'ode to weed whacking' pos anywhere else but ITT so it all washes. That's why ITT only makes sense to those of us who check in regularly. And for the record, I have never used SOTW either. Also, I don't think I'd survive weed whacking so I'll just keep cheering: Go Jean go!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I vote Barber of Seville because Bugs Bunny.  Or Tristan & Isolde, I suppose, because also Bugs Bunny, though I hate Wagner.

#bugsbunny    
#thatsalligot

And why, pray tell, do you hate Wagner?

• Like 1

Listening to music at midnight; my favorite pastime.

Listened to "Barber - Figaro's Aria" just because I like it.

Looked up "Carmen" and chose "Habanera" at random. Didn't know I knew that. 

Now I want to see both...

I also kinda listened to the others, but I'm tired, so going to bed. Gymnast will listen tomorrow.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Renai said:

Listening to music at midnight; my favorite pastime.

Listened to "Barber - Figaro's Aria" just because I like it.

Looked up "Carmen" and chose "Habanera" at random. Didn't know I knew that. 

Now I want to see both...

I also kinda listened to the others, but I'm tired, so going to bed. Gymnast will listen tomorrow.

This is the only word that stuck out to my blurry eyes at this insane time in the wee hours. It reminded me of the talk we once had about chili riennos. I think that's how to spell it. Hot hot hot peppers they were. I couldn't taste anything for days afterward. It burned off all my taste buds or something. 

• Like 3

Morning.  Happy Thursday.    

Ds is officially done with his first college semester.   He got an A in his game design class (officially, it's posted).   Looks like an A in his english class as well (80 out of 85 total points) but it's not officially posted yet.    His prof and I have very different ideas about what we like in writing.   The last assignment was an argument/debate essay and ds didn't know what to do so he wrote a narrative with two guys playing chess discussing whether Spongebob should get capital punishment for some crime.   It was interesting but IMO awkward writing.  Prof evidently really liked it.  

I do think ds will eventually find "his people" with the game design crowd.  We went to an end of year (semester?) games gala that his prof (who is the department head) puts on for all the students to show what they made, both board and video games.  Ds's game was a big hit, people had fun playing it.   It was also a room full of people just like him.   Ds still hasn't really made friends, but I can see it happening with this group.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

#edpo

10 hours ago, Green Bean said:

EdPoing: Once again, I wish there was a home study guide for K12’s Human Odyssey series. It’s a great series, but I never know what to do with it.

We read, discuss, sometimes compare to other things (Hakim's History of US, various YouTube videos). We just do a chapter a week. Very occasionally I throw in something else (e.g., let's use Excel to make a chart comparing totalitarian governments' methods), but I think the reason my kid loves history & pursues it even outside of school is that I've required so little output. We did SOTW in grades 1-4, geography in 5th, and Human Odyssey for 6th-8th.

I sometimes connect other reading to it, too (this semester we've read Night together, and I'm having DS read Anne Frank's diary), and our composer of the week is from the time period we're on, approximately.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Renai said:

And why, pray tell, do you hate Wagner?

Everything I've played by him always feels like such an overly dramatic slog or is just boring.  He has some nice stuff, I suppose.  I feel the same about Andrew Lloyd Weber.

The best of Wagner is best heard through Bugs Bunny.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, 73349 said:

I think the reason my kid loves history & pursues it even outside of school is that I've required so little output.

I think so, too. I felt like the maps and questions are important, but that's 5 minutes. I think WTMing it would have killed it.

• Like 4

Good morning!

I get to go to Aldi today!!  So excited.  But don't be surprised if I come home all frustrated because the store has been rearranged and my list is not in the right order. I'm hoping they'll have a store map.

We're spending the afternoon at friends' house.  Dinner is soup.  Cream of broccoli.

Coffee!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

This is the only word that stuck out to my blurry eyes at this insane time in the wee hours. It reminded me of the talk we once had about chili riennos. I think that's how to spell it. Hot hot hot peppers they were. I couldn't taste anything for days afterward. It burned off all my taste buds or something. 

Interestingly, I opened Habanera because it reminded of chile. It's "chile relleno." Chili is a bean or meat dish; chile is the pepper. At least it is in New Mexico. I don't know what the rest of the world does anymore.  Anyway, apparently, habanera has nothing to do with a spicy pepper, and is a Cuban-style dance. Yep, I looked it up. 😂

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Everybody go to bed! Including you, Servie.

Because that's what you were doing at the time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

Because that's what you were doing at the time...

It was time for me to get up, but I looked at ITT and saw posts from 1 hour ago, 2 hours ago, 4 hours ago. No. Y'all need seeps.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

New Mexico has been last, or next to last, in so many areas: education, food security, healthcare, child welfare, etc.

Now, we are first!

In the thing that will make all these areas even worse because it is destroying livelihoods: the largest active wildfire in the US.

Awesome.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yes I remember: Chili riennos are made in a poblano (hot as Hades) pepper. I had no idea a poblano could BE that hot.

We use Hatch (or Anaheim) green chile, which is how dh has always had them. The type of pepper used is regional. Most of the restaurants in our area use Hatch (from NM) or Anaheim. (I can't say "all" because I haven't eaten at every restaurant.) I've never had them in a poblano. Rellenos - it's a double L, no I.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think so, too. I felt like the maps and questions are important, but that's 5 minutes. I think WTMing it would have killed it.

I didn’t feel like the maps really added anything or furthered the kids’ geography knowledge. I must have done things wrong.

733458- whatever, you are now Numbers- I like your plan. I wish I had trained my kids that way. Too much flitting leads to teens who will barely discuss the MP Lit questions.

Morning! I’m in my bed with Little Man who is watching Magic Schoolbus dvds.  The Plan Today:

-School

-take ASD Son to the dic for his Yrly physical. It was supposed to be yesterday, but I misjudged the time and left too late.

-have DD make cookies for a Church women’s activity tonight (We are playing Family Feud!)

I have some more EdPo stuff, but I’m on my phone which I hate typing on one fingered for long.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

We use Hatch (or Anaheim) green chile, which is how dh has always had them. The type of pepper used is regional. Most of the restaurants in our area use Hatch (from NM) or Anaheim. (I can't say "all" because I haven't eaten at every restaurant.) I've never had them in a poblano. Rellenos - it's a double L, no I.

SPICY! Maybe the chile peppers got too hot and started all the fires. I’m so sorry for the stress your state is going through. I’m praying for the fires to stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Renai said:

Are Hatch/Anaheim super hot? I need a good pepper recommendation (not a bell pepper) with a little heat, but not ulcer inducing heat. As for spelling: I would normally catch that because spelling is normally my strong suit/ pet peeve. Let's just blame me running on 2hrs of sleep and only 2 cups of coffee today.

• Like 2

I'm back from Aldi.  It was so nice to see my favorite Aldi items again!  My favorite TP, roasted pistachios, sweet potato chips, etc.  Eggs were $2.49/dozen.  That's for just regular mass-produced chicken eggs.  Svengo.  I remember when I could get a dozen eggs there for 59 cents.  I guess that's just how it is these days.  It's now cheaper to feed your family a whole box of cereal than a dozen eggs.  I'll stick with the eggs.

First thing I did when I got there was to walk up and down the isles (which were remodeled to my approval) and video tape them so I can redo my grocery list.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm back from Aldi.  It was so nice to see my favorite Aldi items again!  My favorite TP, roasted pistachios, sweet potato chips, etc.  Eggs were $2.49/dozen.  That's for just regular mass-produced chicken eggs.  Svengo.  I remember when I could get a dozen eggs there for 59 cents.  I guess that's just how it is these days.  It's now cheaper to feed your family a whole box of cereal than a dozen eggs.  I'll stick with the eggs.

First thing I did when I got there was to walk up and down the isles (which were remodeled to my approval) and video tape them so I can redo my grocery list.

Eggs are $2.89 at the Aldi here. Or they were last time I shopped which was last weekend. So I bought oatmeal and told the boys hands off the eggs unless we are baking something. 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who makes a grocery list in the order I'll most likely (except when they change things up) encounter them in the store.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

When ds was in third grade I asked him to take pictures of the signs at the ends of the aisles so that I could organize a grocery list in order. The stupid store manager stopped him and accused him of store espionage for a rival store. My son was in tears and I was hopping mad. He ended up giving us a glow in the dark football (that we didn’t want) to appease us. What kind of idiot thinks that a rival store would send in a 3rd grader??  And what kind of idiot thinks that their store layout is that top secret anyway?  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Are Hatch/Anaheim super hot? I need a good pepper recommendation (not a bell pepper) with a little heat, but not ulcer inducing heat. As for spelling: I would normally catch that because spelling is normally my strong suit/ pet peeve. Let's just blame me running on 2hrs of sleep and only 2 cups of coffee today.

Not really, but like all peppers, there is a range. But in general, it's usually a medium heat.

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've been off on curriculum bunny trails today. Shall I EdPo my findings or keep them to myself?

EdPo! EdPo! EdPo!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Renai said:

EdPo! EdPo! EdPo!

It's only an EdPo if I give details and ask advice. That's why I asked if I should or shouldn't eloborate. If the answer would've been yes, I would've then Edpo'd per ITT rules. 

#edpoloophole

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

It's only an EdPo if I give details and ask advice. That's why I asked if I should or shouldn't eloborate. If the answer would've been yes, I would've then Edpo'd per ITT rules. 

#edpoloophole

That was my way of saying yes. Don't you know me by now? 🤣

Edited by Renai
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

I’m having a frustrating day.

Serie- Edpo, please. I have to, too.

Sorry, I was trying to get stuff done while Youngest was napping. Not much got done.

***EdPo***

Ok, I started looking at the shiny thing: LOE Foundations. Their handwriting is so much like what I taught Oldest. I know in my head, I don't need all that stuff. It just took me a while to realize I don't need all the stuff. For crying out loud, I can make my own phonogram cards and the game thing, too. I just hadn't thought to. I also took a good hard look at LOE, SWR, and even R&S. They all cover the same phonograms. Even R&S. All of them are there. They just teach them in a different order. Duh. I'm still no closer to a decision. I read a LOT of SWR last night. I could do it. I know I can. I just don't know if Middle will be cooperative. He's my wild card. I need to just order a log for myself and do it to see how it would really be. I like the way LOE does this because it doesn't look like they mark everything as much as they recite, write, and memorize, but I could be wrong. Gah! My head is spinning. 

PS- I looked at other curricula, too, but already vetoed them.

I had it all figured out earlier, I promise. I just can't remember what I decided. 🤦

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3