• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Happy Mother's Day.  

Dh made dinner (as he always does) and my mom and oldest dd came over.  

We had halibut cooked on the grill, bacon wrapped scallops, asparagus wrapped in prosciutto with mozzarella cheese and red peppers, and grilled pineapple with a touch of hot sauce.   And ice cream for dessert because dh isn't making my ice cream pies until Tuesday. 

I worked a bit on organization on work today, did laundry, worked on classes, and now I'm just relaxing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Baby and I made all the recipes in this month's Raddish Kids bix. It was all Middle Eastern food and it was yummy!!! Shawarma, falafel and this salad that was really good, too. Of course I had to scour the grocery store for tahini. It was by the peanut butter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Baby and I made all the recipes in this month's Raddish Kids bix. It was all Middle Eastern food and it was yummy!!! Shawarma, falafel and this salad that was really good, too. Of course I had to scour the grocery store for tahini. It was by the peanut butter.

Do you have a referral code?

• Like 2

And on my favorite day of the week, I get to visit my doctor, where I'm sure we'll have a discussion about how he wants to reduce my thyroid meds, and I'll tell him that I'll have to look for another doctor if he does, and he'll say good luck with that, so, yeah, not so much fun today.

• Sad 3

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

(((Queen)))

When we were at Philmont, our conservation project was to build fire revetments out of dead wood to protect the escape route roads and major trails.

We went through some of the quartet music this morning to prepare for the nursing home Mother's Day Tea that we are playing for this afternoon.  It should be lots of fun.  Also outdoors, but they said they'd put us in the shade, at least, lol.

Ds26's car is not fixed yet, but he can use the little car for today.  Dd19 has a study day before finals so she doesn't need to go anywhere.

Coffee!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

And on my favorite day of the week, I get to visit my doctor, where I'm sure we'll have a discussion about how he wants to reduce my thyroid meds, and I'll tell him that I'll have to look for another doctor if he does, and he'll say good luck with that, so, yeah, not so much fun today.

Well, not bad. My labs showed a significant increase in one of my thyroid numbers (Free T3) and a larger-than-usual increase in the other (Free T4), so I am actually going to stop one of my thyroid meds for a couple of weeks after all. Looks like I won't need to find a new doctor yet. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

So I have a planting strip next to the curb with some hydrangeas and (now) lots of bark instead of weeds. Then a low retaining wall goes up to the yard proper. There is a foot and a half swoosh that separates the top of the retaining wall from the actual lawn . Now I have started to bark the swoosh on one side of our corner lot. 

This morning I took off the top layer of the retaining wall, cleaned out grass and weeds “good enough “ (though dh would have done it more thoroughly) , put back the blocks, weed whacked the swoosh a second time and started to lay down cardboard and bark. I am 1/8 of the way done with this swoosh. But my muscles say that I am definitely done for now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Just to help make this more of a Monday than necessary, I started looking into family health insurance options.  Svengo.  Imma go bury my head back in the sand.

Have you looked into anything like MediShare? We did that for a while and it worked pretty well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Have you looked into anything like MediShare? We did that for a while and it worked pretty well.

I talked with MediShare today (phone call!!) and they have sent me some quotes for our family.  I'll need to find out from people how it worked for them and also look into other options.  I have until the end of August, but am thinking I'd better start making plans now.

• Like 4

The Mother's Day Tea at the nursing home was so nice.  It was outdoors and a little breezy so sometimes my hair blew in my face or my page tried to flip over (despite being clipped) but everything went well over all.  They always appreciate the music so much!

One gentleman asked if we knew the Ashokan Farewell, which we did.  Everyone had the music in their binders except me, but I remembered it mostly.  He was so sweet.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Morning, Happy Tuesday.

Almost went and worked out with dd this morning, but she woke up with a headache.   I can't go tomorrow because I'm going super early for a breast ultrasound.  No problems but I have dense tissue so I've been getting and US with my mammo for over 10 years.   Usually I do them together but when I called about the script, they said I didn't need on so I thought something had changed.  Nope, she was looking at results for 2016 which said no (or wrong kind?) of dense tissue, instead of the 2019 results which still showed it.  

Other than that, it's the same old/same old.  

• Like 4

I was lying abed, minding my own business, when suddenly I realized that I hadn't set my alarm clock, and I leapt up like a gazelle and came downstairs, where Mr. Ellie asked me why I was up so early. Um...because I thought it was Sunday and I was late for church. o_0

Happy Tuesday to all!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

We got DS's Iowa test scores back faster than usual, and he did great!  (Of course, the areas in which he is years behind are not on the test, but I'll take it.)

My credit card had fraudulent charges on it and has been canceled. I'm sure this has happened once or twice before directly after I've sent Mother's Day gifts, and I suspect there's a leak at either 1800flowers.com or Edible Arrangements. I guess I will go into the grocery store this week instead of doing a curbside order--I avoid using my debit card online. I might pay cash for gas for the first time in many years.

The weather today is gorgeous.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 4

(((73349))) That's a pain in the patootie!  Yay for test scores!

We are also having beautiful weather.  I should go sit outside for a bit.

I got a letter from my college alma mater - my 30th year reunion is in October.  I kinda want to go but also not.  I think it would be good for me - it's where dh and I met.  I don't know.  

• Like 6

Dh wondered aloud why my class has reunions multiple times a year.  It was just a very small overseas class and we get together whenever anyone comes into town.  But this reunion that is coming up is planned specifically as a reunion. 

As someone who is gluten free, low carb and really needs to be both because if I don't I pay big consequences, these get togethers are stressful.  I like seeing the people.  I just hate navigating the food issue.  (I don't have a problem with bringing my own food.  I just don't know what to bring.)

• Like 4

I could care less about my high school reunions. I had nothing in common with those people then and most certainly don’t now. Most of my friends were in the grade below. I haven’t kept up with any of them, so meh.

Now ITT reunion I will be all over it!

I’m sitting here next to DD while she slowly does math. I still have together subjects with the boys. Little Man did all 32 pages of handwriting I printed out last night! It’s just TGTB Doodles Bk 1 and a couple copies of a UK lowercase page but seriously he’s killing my printer paper stash! I’m thinking I need to laminate a couple pages and get some wet erase markers.

DH is working across town until the end of June. Fun for him cause he likes this part of his job.

Spaghetti with mushrooms for dinner!

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Slache said:

I just had the pleasure of calling and reporting a drive by shooting. No one was hurt.

The other day I almost had the pleasure of calling and reporting a car speeding down the wrong lane, nearly hitting us (dh was driving), but as I pulled out my phone and out of shock, I realized I could give neither car description or plate number and they'd already moved to the correct lane (they had to get past a road island).

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We have a high school reunion coming up this summer.  I was asked to come help plan it. . I said no.  But I did say to put me down for helping with clean up after the first dinner. 

This reminds me that I totally forgot to do costume strike after Gymnast's last dance on Friday. 🤦🏾‍♀️ I signed myself up a couple of weeks ago...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

In other words. "No... Slache is wrong..." I did not believe it either. I needed to verify. It sounds wrong.

You are not wrong.  His grandfather's second wife was much younger and his father was one of the later of the kids born.  Then his father married twice and this man (who is now in his 90's) was born when his dad was 75. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/11/29/president-john-tyler-grandson-harrison/

This article is a year old though but I didn't see any articles saying that he's died in the meantime. 

• Like 3