• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Here's another Piano Guys video. It's about the birth, life, and death of a tree, but the boy/man in the video loves the girl/woman in the video so much that he does everything for her and gives her everything he has, including the tree in the end. It remindes me of my husband and I always cry when I watch it.

• Like 3

Here's another good one (though this one isn't Pachelbel related). I found it chasing waskelly wabbits after searching YouTube for "Pachelbel funny". There's some really hilarious stuff out there. Who knew one hit from 300+ years ago would last so long?

Funny! My college roommate and I used to do this. We weren't even drunk!

And in the same spirit - one of my kids' favorites: Gopher Tuna

• Like 1

All these classical music videos.... Last year when we were studying Mozart I found a video of some famous European opera company putting on "The Magic Flute". So, we watched for a bit... oh my word. During one act one of the actors was supposed to be under a spell or something (I am really not familiar with the story) and was getting quite fresh (physically) with one of the "nurses" or whoever was dancing around him. There was a lot of other things going on, so I don't think the kids noticed that part but I'm sitting there thinking, "hmm, he's grabbing her bOOks. Do I fast forward, and have to explain why, or do I just ignore it and hope the kids don't notice?" The kids didn't seem to notice and I never showed another opera without first previewing.

• Like 2

Catching up after work.

Also not very sleepy yet. I took some of my bug-in-a-pill medicine.

I may turn into a spider.

That's okay, I like spiders.

Even black widows. They are pretty. One got into my house through the dryer vent opening when I was painting the laundry room and hung suspended against the pure, newly painted white wall. I killed it, but not before I seriously admired it and wondered what sort of weird imagination would find the juxtaposition of that metallic black and violent red so mesmerizing when displayed against a pristine white background. My kind of weird imagination I guess. Spider on a white heal-all and all.

I have seen an orb weaver nearly kill a hummingbird. My son came to get me, screaming that the spider on the front porch had caught a bird. Arrived in time to save the bird, and to capture and relocate the spider. I figured something that aggressive could be useful elsewhere. Away from the hummingbird feeders. 

I have no comments on the Canon. Other than I have played it. In a simple form. And kind of liked it. It's not as pretty as Claire de Lune.

I do like AC/DC and cellos. 

• Like 4

I am watching the most highly rated, yet completely boring and without suspense, suspense/psychological thriller series on Amazon Prime called "Secrets and Lies". If you are having trouble falling asleep, this might be the the ticket.

I'm re-watching Parenthood on Amazon Prime and really feeling like I can relate to Sarah. But without the druggie-musician-ex-husband. My engineer husband is definitely a keeper! But sometimes I feel like my kids don't listen to me. I love that show.
  • Like 2

Yesterday, a quilter was freecycling (giving a way) a bunch of good fabrics yesterday. It was so much, I'm going back today. I'll also be picking up some for the other prek teacher because she's taking her older sister to Special Olympics at that time  :001_wub: .

• Like 6

Operation sleeping pill was a success.

Have brushed the dog in order to take her to PetSmart for a nail trim without too much shame.  Last time the lady brushed her out a bit and then gave me advice about mats, even though I paid for just a nail trim.  (bag over head)

Dh starts a big, new account and will be gone at odd hours to get it started this weekend.

Little dd's anxiety is much improved.  She announced, "I think I'm cured!"  Not sleeping in her room yet, but she can make decisions without melting into a puddle and allow me to leave the house without her and not require help from dh.  Such a relief.

• Like 8

I was just thinking that I started getting behind in homework when my desktop stopped working. I would sit at the desktop with my headphones and 100 Bach masterpieces on Amazon Prime Music. Now, I use my laptop to type up stuff in drive (as usual), but use the school-issued Macbook to turn stuff in because it has Word. (again). I work slower with a touchpad. It's annoying. But, I need to buy a mouse.  

Well, I also wasn't working full-time. I don't even bring work home because home is dedicated to class. I am seriously considering taking a couple of days off next week. It is going to be a very full week for week 4, and I think I need that time. I'm making up work this weekend for this past week, but have a synthesis paper due on Monday.

I would feel sorry for my sub though. My AM class is wild and chaotic and I'm about to do a complete overhaul on the discipline and structure of that class.

• Like 4

I was just thinking that I started getting behind in homework when my desktop stopped working. I would sit at the desktop with my headphones and 100 Bach masterpieces on Amazon Prime Music. Now, I use my laptop to type up stuff in drive (as usual), but use the school-issued Macbook to turn stuff in because it has Word. (again). I work slower with a touchpad. It's annoying. But, I need to buy a mouse.  

Well, I also wasn't working full-time. I don't even bring work home because home is dedicated to class. I am seriously considering taking a couple of days off next week. It is going to be a very full week for week 4, and I think I need that time. I'm making up work this weekend for this past week, but have a synthesis paper due on Monday.

I would feel sorry for my sub though. My AM class is wild and chaotic and I'm about to do a complete overhaul on the discipline and structure of that class.

Taking a couple of days off sounds great.  It might get you over the hump and make this more manageable.

• Like 3

Operation sleeping pill was a success.

Have brushed the dog in order to take her to PetSmart for a nail trim without too much shame.  Last time the lady brushed her out a bit and then gave me advice about mats, even though I paid for just a nail trim.  (bag over head)

Dh starts a big, new account and will be gone at odd hours to get it started this weekend.

Little dd's anxiety is much improved.  She announced, "I think I'm cured!"  Not sleeping in her room yet, but she can make decisions without melting into a puddle and allow me to leave the house without her and not require help from dh.  Such a relief.

Let's not speak of pet mats.  :leaving:

I'm not sure if Dancer had anxiety; she certainly wasn't as bad as Gymnast. But, the room issue...it got to the point that I finally said she could sleep in our room any time she wanted. I think that actually helped her, knowing she wouldn't be rejected or whatever was the issue. She consistently slept mostly in our room until about 9 or 10, many times choosing to sleep in her own room. She was in her room mostly full time by the time I was pregnant with Gymnast (10-11). We have a foam mattress we keep behind our door for these purposes. She'll still sleep on that mattress when she's feeling really ill, but it is very rare.

I know it seems a long time, but it worked for us. Anxiety wasn't on my radar at the time because she was fine with most everything else (unlike Gymnast who is finally allowing me to leave my classroom without getting anxious). I had to remind her of this fact the other night when she got annoyed that Gymnast didn't want to sleep in her room (in her own bed) and wanted to sleep with me.

• Like 2

Let's not speak of pet mats.  :leaving:

I'm not sure if Dancer had anxiety; she certainly wasn't as bad as Gymnast. But, the room issue...it got to the point that I finally said she could sleep in our room any time she wanted. I think that actually helped her, knowing she wouldn't be rejected or whatever was the issue. She consistently slept mostly in our room until about 9 or 10, many times choosing to sleep in her own room. She was in her room mostly full time by the time I was pregnant with Gymnast (10-11). We have a foam mattress we keep behind our door for these purposes. She'll still sleep on that mattress when she's feeling really ill, but it is very rare.

I know it seems a long time, but it worked for us. Anxiety wasn't on my radar at the time because she was fine with most everything else (unlike Gymnast who is finally allowing me to leave my classroom without getting anxious). I had to remind her of this fact the other night when she got annoyed that Gymnast didn't want to sleep in her room (in her own bed) and wanted to sleep with me.

Pet mats will be "The Thing of Which We Do Not Speak".

What is hard for me and most people, I think, is to separate out developmental stages (which come with needs and feelings) from actual mental health issues like anxiety that would qualify for a diagnosis.  If the parent has their own anxiety issues (really common), it overlays on the child's issues.  This journey with her has been a learning curve for me as I let go of her anxiety and didn't take it on as my own, which was my initial response (a really common one).  My dh and boys have lacked understanding and patience, which has left me battling this out with the counselor for support.  But I feel like a bridge has been crossed, and she is talking about her room and the "creepy corner".  I can work with that.   :)

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

Just thinking out loud here:

So, I'd prefer to take off Monday and Tuesday, but that would not be the best idea for the classroom. I'm setting up a center management system and need to implement it Monday. My assistant already knows about it, so I just need to take it in Monday and put it to work.

That leaves taking off Tuesday and Wednesday, which could work. More than likely the synthesis paper won't be complete by Monday, so having it one day late on Tuesday won't be so bad. And I'll get a head start on all those other papers (I think 3) that's due the same week(!).

I'll go back to work on Thursday to my chaotic classroom, because I know my assistant can't handle them because the kids don't listen to him. He's like a big kid himself. I told the principal from the beginning it was not going to work with him in class with me. I knew this because I worked with over the summer. I told her I am no good at training assistants because I have enough discipline issues with new 4yo's. She didn't listen and I'm stuck. She's looking at his potential. I'm looking at the chaos in the morning and how he contributes to it. It's frustrating. He's 19/20, but my dd knows more than he does. (and he's a teacher's kid, too) Anyway, I'll go back to my chaotic class on Thursday, then there's no kids on Friday. That makes for a happy week for me.

• Like 5