Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ugh. I completely get that. Post-kids, I absolutely would need online. And really, most of my degrees were in the infancy stages of the web, so online options then were limited anyway. Now, online work is expected even if you are taking courses IRL.

When I was a TA back in college, I was asked to train a professor on how to use the World Wide Web. I had to pay someone to find out what exactly that WAS. <grin>.

I'm old.

Wait. You can't be old. I think we discussed ages quite a few pages back. I remember having a Tandy computer my junior year in high school. I created a church newsletter on that thing. I learned how to play Pachelbel's Canon in D. :D

• Like 1

Wait. You can't be old. I think we discussed ages quite a few pages back. I remember having a Tandy computer my junior year in high school. I created a church newsletter on that thing. I learned how to play Pachelbel's Canon in D. :D

Oh, computers we had plenty of. But my campus first got email my sophomore year, and it was limited only to those on campus. The Internet was rolled out somewhere toward the end of my junior year, and students could only access it in the computer lab, not their dorms.

• Like 2

Oh, computers we had plenty of. But my campus first got email my sophomore year, and it was limited only to those on campus. The Internet was rolled out somewhere toward the end of my junior year, and students could only access it in the computer lab, not their dorms.

When I was a junior (in high school), I don't think I knew what email was. Or that it even existed.

• Like 2

I'm glad dd seems to be more comfortable and opening up and talking more. But, omg is she getting on my nerves. I had to tell her to turn it down several notches because I think she's going way overboard. All the time.

She's blessed to have such an awesome mama to come to, even if it's TMI. :-).

• Like 3

When I was a junior (in high school), I don't think I knew what email was. Or that it even existed.

When I was a junior in high school we worked on programming on Apple 2e's and had the original floppy discs to keep our information on. And the cool people had Atari's at home. The rest of us had nothin'!
  • Like 3

When I was a junior in high school we worked on programming on Apple 2e's and had the original floppy discs to keep our information on. And the cool people had Atari's at home. The rest of us had nothin'!

We had Atari. I believe there was something before Atari - the controller had a joystick and one or two knobs. We had that too. Or maybe it came after. I remember Pong (Atari). I also remember when we upgraded to Nintendo. Mario and and Donkey Kong. Space Invaders. Memories... omg. I just googled Atari games and remember most of them!

• Like 3

The concert was really great!  They played Sultans of Swing!  The crowd went wild.  It was 80% boomers, including yours truly.  I had a very nice time but I'm also very glad that it is over.  The chairs (which dh and ds found comfortable ) tipped me in such a way that my hips were in excruciating pain.  I'm going to have to take my big gun meds tonight.  I'm glad that we all went though.  Ds was very happy.  He's been trying to master Mark Knopfler's guitar technique.  Also he met some musician there that he was talking to, who treated him to a hot dog!  

• Like 7

The concert was really great!  They played Sultans of Swing!  The crowd went wild.  It was 80% boomers, including yours truly.  I had a very nice time but I'm also very glad that it is over.  The chairs (which dh and ds found comfortable ) tipped me in such a way that my hips were in excruciating pain.  I'm going to have to take my big gun meds tonight.  I'm glad that we all went though.  Ds was very happy.  He's been trying to master Mark Knopfler's guitar technique.  Also he met some musician there that he was talking to, who treated him to a hot dog!  

I'm sorry about your hips. At least you had a lovely evening other than that. :)

• Like 7

Good Morning! 

I missed the party here, but we were at a friends house for dinner.  Fun!

Ikslo, hope you're sleeping in right now and feeling better when you wake up.

Ducklings, I like all your house-reno posts, but I'm in patient with how long it takes to "like" something.

Jean, glad you guys had a great time, hope your hips don't remember a thing when you wake up.

Zarabellesmom!  Great to see you!

Renai - I like your end of the world forecast.  Were you hoping the end was coming before your homework was due?  I used to hope that a lot many, many years ago.  :D

Ah, old computers memories.  I used floppy discs for an internship I had in college.  I don't remember if we had email at the internship.  I remember a new computer lab around my jr or sr year of college and using it for a paper one time.  Before that - I'm not sure if I typed everything or maybe used the computer at my internship for papers?  I remember doing spreadsheets in Lotus for Dos at same job.  My elementary school got it's first computer when I was in the 6th grade.  100 6th graders crowded into the Audio-Visual room (as it was then called) to see it while our principal read to us from something (the manual?) and one of the geekier kids had it hooked to a cassette player and he made his name go across the screen a gazillion times and I quite wondered what was the point.  (It's possible I've told that story before to these young whipper-snappers.)

Krissi, your ice cream sounds awesome! 

Openhearted, hope your back in bed, sleeping soundly!

• Like 6

Ah, old computers memories.  I used floppy discs for an internship I had in college.  I don't remember if we had email at the internship.  I remember a new computer lab around my jr or sr year of college and using it for a paper one time.  Before that - I'm not sure if I typed everything or maybe used the computer at my internship for papers?  I remember doing spreadsheets in Lotus for Dos at same job.  My elementary school got it's its first computer when I was in the 6th grade.  100 6th graders crowded into the Audio-Visual room (as it was then called) to see it while our principal read to us from something (the manual?) and one of the geekier kids had it hooked to a cassette player and he made his name go across the screen a gazillion times and I quite wondered what was the point.  (It's possible I've told that story before to these young whipper-snappers.)

The first newsletter I "published" was done on a Commodore Vic 20, using a program called "The Newsroom." It was for my Camp Fire club. We moved to San Jose from San Diego, and I joined a support group that had a newsletter of sorts (it was actually just minutes of the monthly "teacher's meeting."). I called the woman who was doing it and asked if she needed help, and she said, "I was just doing it until the real editor came along. If you want it, you can have it!" So I started doing it in the fall of 1987, on my Commodore, printing it out on a 9-pin dot matrix printer. There were 20 people on the mailing list.

The first thing I did was name it, because newsletters should have names. After some brainstorming, I decided to call it "Ketchup." You know, so people could read it and...ketchup...on what was going on. :-) We bought a 24-pin printer and a few people outside my immediate support group starting asking if they could subscribe. By the next fall I had 40 people on the mailing list.

And then I met a homeschooling father who was a graphic designer, and he said that if I could write the newsletter on a DOS-compatible machine, he could make Ketchup look really cool. I did not know waht a DOS-compatible machine was. :confused1: A few weeks later, his wife said they had an extra IBM sitting around that I could have. AHA. A DOS-compatible machine! Mr. Ellie installed Word Star, and wrote the next issue of Ketchup in that; saved the file to a floppy drive, drove across town to my friend's house, and watched him import it into Ventura Publisher. WOW. But then in order to actually turn it into a newsletter, he saved it to a floppy disk; the next day I drove to the *other* side of town to a print shop that had a post script printer (because a Ventura file could only be printed out on a post script printer), drive the hard copy back to *my* side of town and take it to a print shop near my house, where it was turned into an eight-page, 11x17, offset-printed newsletter. It looked AWESOME!

I published Ketchup for several years, then passed it on to someone else, who changed the name to "Honeycomb." :huh: She published it for a couple of years then passed it on to someone else, who passed it on to someone else. By then there was a committee, and almost 500 subscribers. Honeycomb was bulk-mailed, which required lots of handling. Eventually it came back to me, and boy, had things changed. I designed it in PageMaker and FTP'ed it to a print shop; all I had to do was pick it up.

The newsletter (I could never call it "Honeycomb," lol) was in publication for over 10 years. I am quite proud of its history. :-) It was the only regional newsletter in the Bay Area at that time (subscribers in all nine Bay Area counties, plus other parts of the state), and I don't think there has been one since then.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 7

Which means we still need to find someone to refinish the floors and put in new carpeting.

Dang it Quackers, if we lived closer, you could hire my dh. He's good at everything. And doesn't work at a snail's pace (he hates workers who do that - he's so impatient!).

• Like 3

It is just now ten, and I have cleaned the kitchen, organized under the kitchen sink area, tidied a kid's room, stripped some sheets, fed the animals, fed the people (turkey sausage, grits and grapes), put in a load of laundry, cleaned the cat box, put away clean laundry, and tidied the painting area.  I am feeling so virtuous.

In other news, I wonder if I have a thyroid problem.  I sit around wondering a lot of things like this.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

I just watched this. Laughed out loud! If California did break off and float into the Pacific and sink it just might solve our wildfire problem! All sporting events canceled due to bad air, ash is raining down on people here in the Valley, people in the mountains are being evacuated.... but at least it won't be 105 degrees today. Only 100.

Oh, and a booya to ya'll.

• Like 3