Menu

Ignore this thread!

Interested to hear what the others say. None of us have ever read it. Your library should have those.

We're on like our 14th time through Pinocchio (land of boobies!) and with the other two being $1 it was hard to resist, but I don't know this one. Mary likes princesses.

As it sits now quiet time is QUIET for reading but they get an hour of audiobooks at bed.

i have not read it. That’s the same lady that Wrote The Secret Garden, right?

I don't know, but I didn't like The Secret Garden. I think I read it before my dyslexia diagnoses though and I hated reading then.

Who’s complaining?

In Laws de Paige.

It’s good...the language is old-fashioned and it’s mainly about girls. My girls really liked it once they reached upper elementary, but it’s not necessarily what I’d pick for a 6yo boy, and unless Mooies is a super genius I don’t think she’ll be able to keep up with the language.

Fabulous, thanks. I din't want to spend the $2 anyway.

I don't know, but I didn't like The Secret Garden. I think I read it before my dyslexia diagnoses though and I hated reading then.

In Laws de Paige.

I just looked it up. It is the same author. We enjoyed The Secret Garden, but I don’t think we ever finished it, for some reason and the kids never really cared that we didn’t finish reading the book.
  • Like 1

In Laws de Paige.

Actually it's my own parents who complain about stuff like that. In-laws keep their mouths shut but usually do other crazy things like lecture about how the church we attend is wrong and never tell us when they will come or go, or eat all of my candy in a binge and I love my candy.

Oh yeah, your kids are much too young for A Little Princess if you're thinking about now. There's some heavy and not nice subject matter. It can be too depressing for littles, IMO. Watch Shirley Temple instead; that version is gentler. 

• Like 3

I just looked it up. It is the same author. We enjoyed The Secret Garden, but I don’t think we ever finished it, for some reason and the kids never really cared that we didn’t finish reading the book.

It's slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It’s kind of more Oliver Twist than princessy.

Have you read The Ordinary Princess? That has princesses and fanciness and it’s also hilarious.

Would a boy find it hilarious?

Actually it's my own parents who complain about stuff like that. In-laws keep their mouths shut but usually do other crazy things like lecture about how the church we attend is wrong and never tell us when they will come or go, or eat all of my candy in a binge and I love my candy.

Oh yeah, your kids are much too young for A Little Princess if you're thinking about now. There's some heavy and not nice subject matter. It can be too depressing for littles, IMO. Watch Shirley Temple instead; that version is gentler. 

Sorry. 

It's just on sale. Maybe another day.

We liked Stuart Little, The Borrowers, the first book of the Little House series at that age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids enjoyed The Borrowers. I’m trying to think what else we read. We’ve always done read alouds. Yes to the Little House books. We’ve read several books by Patricia St. John (Treasures in the Snow was a good one). Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fischer was another really good one. I read that as a kid over and over and loved it. It is about it a little girl, but I don’t think it’s particularly girly.

Oh wow, another Booya/h for me. It’s a Bookish Booya/h.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

What is A Little Princess and do I need it for the kids?

I just got The Wizard of OZ and The Jungle Book for $2 so I need to really need it if I need it.

Yes. It was one of the most influential books of my childhood in terms of understanding what it means to maintain good character in the midst of real hardship and also the joy of giving gifts in secret to those in need. I loved that book.

(The Shirley Temple movie is stupid. Don't watch it.)

The other book that influenced me in the same way was King of the Wind. Also loved that one.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

I can't skip the monkeys. It's playing in a room that I'm not in.

Yes. It was one of the most influential books of my childhood in terms of understanding what it means to maintain good character in the midst of real hardship and also the joy of giving gifts in secret to those in need. I loved that book.

(The Shirley Temple movie is stupid. Don't watch it.)

Oh, Heavens to Murgatroyd. Fine.

• Like 2

The 21 day thing?

Why are you dumping Understanding the Faith? Your plan looks simple. I love simple.

What's the habit workshop?

Understanding the Faith is fine, but textbookish.  I think she'll do better with the other books instead.

Habit thingy:  https://www.simplyconvivial.com/product/humble-habits/ It's $18.  I'm too self-defeating to pay $18 for it.  

I hope no one haz nightmares.

Wizard of Oz was my regularly recurring nightmare.  Good luck.  

• Like 1

What? Well, I take it back then. Give the monkeys lollipops!

One character was dating a guy who turned out to be one of the flying monkeys and it was clear they had been intimate. It was eww.

Then get up and go into that room. Or tell Matt to skip the monkeys.

Is it that bad?

Now I'm nervous about the monkeys.

Understanding the Faith is fine, but textbookish. I think she'll do better with the other books instead.

Habit thingy: https://www.simplyconvivial.com/product/humble-habits/ It's $18. I'm too self-defeating to pay $18 for it.

Wizard of Oz was my regularly recurring nightmare. Good luck.

I don't get what it is with bloggers and their expensive classes. There is a money back guarantee but it's only a six week thing.

Edpo.

Are we changing things for the semester? I think I'm getting a different singing CD and beginning John on oral presentations IEW style like I claimed I was 4 months ago.

I'm not sure if I'm changing things, or just picking up stuff I I was planning to do before. It's both, because it looks like I'm changing, but I'm not. I just hadn't started some things. I'm tired and don't make any sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I'm changing things, or just picking up stuff I I was planning to do before. It's both, because it looks like I'm changing, but I'm not. I just hadn't started some things. I'm tired and don't make any sense whatsoever.

No, I'm so with you.

• Like 1

I'm changing things for 9th grade dd.  We're focusing on writing and doing less literature this semester.  I have a couple resources on the way from Rainbow Resource.  History and writing will be combined - using Diana Waring for an overview and then reading and researching a chose topic from the relevant time period.  We're also dumping Understanding the Faith in favor of Mere Christianity, Case for Christ, Screwtape Letters....  

I was tempted by Mystie's habit-workshop thingy, but I'm not in the mood for it with school starting back up.   :laugh:  

We're thinking about nacho dip here, but I'm not sure I have enough cream cheese.  (Layer of groundbeef - already browned - mixed with salsa, layer of cream cheese mixed with sour cream, layer of shredded cheddar cheese - in the oven for 15 minutes on 350.  Eat with chips.  duh. )  

I've read Screwtape Letters, but not Mere Christianity. I don't remember getting past the second page or so of that book...

I've done Mystie's habit or review something or other before. I'll look her up again. I stopped the emails because it was just too much.

• Like 1

I've read Screwtape Letters, but not Mere Christianity. I don't remember getting past the second page or so of that book...

I've done Mystie's habit or review something or other before. I'll look her up again. I stopped the emails because it was just too much.

Like too many tasks?