• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

On the cherry pie (and I want to try the same thing with some other fruit pies) the GF crust, being too tender, could not stand up to the wet fruit in an unbaked state. What I'm going to have to do is to bake the pie crust empty (as I do for most pies) and then place a warm filling in that pre-baked crust and put a crust over that to bake. Better yet, I'll bake that second top crust separately on parchment paper, and then transfer it to the cooked pie. 

This should deal with the problems I encountered today--underdone bottom crust, thick edges, filling that wasn't set despite being thickened with cornstarch and cooked for the required time.

ETA: It's a pie-in-the-sky Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

And Bob's Your Uncle!  ..... just said on an old Mythbusters re-run.  The same one I heard it on the last time we talked about the "bob's your uncle" saying.  I wouldn't know about all these cultural gems if not for my time spent here!    

Do you remember Aunt Bob?  (Dh's aunt, whose cremation urn was found tossed behind a craft store).  We were cleaning the Schoolroom of Doom (just a bit) yesterday and came upon her (or her urn - the same BIL who I suspect threw out her urn probably threw her out too).  We had a fond chuckle over Aunt Bob.  (None of this bothers us because we know where the important part of her really is.) 

• Like 4

Do you remember Aunt Bob?  (Dh's aunt, whose cremation urn was found tossed behind a craft store).  We were cleaning the Schoolroom of Doom (just a bit) yesterday and came upon her (or her urn - the same BIL who I suspect threw out her urn probably threw her out too).  We had a fond chuckle over Aunt Bob.  (None of this bothers us because we know where the important part of her really is.) 

Yes, I remember!  

• Like 3

We had dinner at Nana's.  Which means that I then had to clean the china, crystal, and silver.  :svengo:

Leftovers were shoved, box and all, into the outside 'fridge.  I am caught up on barn chores.  Now I have to vacuum the kitchen (dog hair patrol) and prepare for Dessert, Part Deux, with Nonna.

iTired.

• Like 6

The college boys have just popped in to say that they have fire extinguishers so don't worry about what they are doing in the garage.  Why am I not reassured?  (Whereas if they had said nothing, I would have been in blissful ignorance.)

:svengo:

And Bob's Your Uncle!  ..... just said on an old Mythbusters re-run.  The same one I heard it on the last time we talked about the "bob's your uncle" saying.  I wouldn't know about all these cultural gems if not for my time spent here!

:D

Good ol' Aunt Bob! Did she have a good sense of humor? :D

I'm Beta-reading. :blush:

What's that?

• Like 2

:D

Good ol' Aunt Bob! Did she have a good sense of humor? :D

I discovered that Aunt Bob had a secret. According to everyone in the family Aunt Bob didn’t know English. She communicated to anyone who didn’t speak Tagalog in pantomime. One day I just could not figure out her pantomime. She looked around to make no one else was there and then told me what she wanted-in English. Then she smiled and said “shhh “.

• Like 11

I discovered that Aunt Bob had a secret. According to everyone in the family Aunt Bob didn’t know English. She communicated to anyone who didn’t speak Tagalog in pantomime. One day I just could not figure out her pantomime. She looked around to make no one else was there and then told me what she wanted-in English. Then she smiled and said “shhh “.

That is hilarious. I like ornery.
  • Like 4

:lol:

• Like 2

I am back from shopping Round 1.  I scored some blankets and a comforter set.  Also, I remembered to buy hot dog buns while I was at Target.  :)

Dd15 went with me to look for shoes, but we didn't find any that we liked.

You are so brave!

I’m here. Collapsed in a heap on my bed. Under the softest throw ever. Hostess gift from sil. Good day. Everyone ate a lot although there was waaaaaaaay too much dessert. I have 3 pumpkin pies left over.🤪

Breakfast!

• Like 4

So I am amusing myself by looking at high end homes for sale in the Big City and I decided that I don’t want a rich person’s house. They are too fussy. Chandeliers and columns and all sorts of fussy things. 6,000 sq. Ft. Houses and all this wall paper.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

💞 I love Aunt Bob.

• Like 4

Now i’m Amusing myself by looking at Google Maps. I’m thinking about moving to the Great Lakes Region.

The Great Lakes are Great!

No tryptophan here. DW cooked some steaks her parents had sent her from some steak company or something. They sucked. I ate the potatoes au gratin and then walked to Dollar General because it was the only store open that late on Thanksgiving and got milk and ice cream (cookie dough flavor). 

• Like 4

I'm going to bed... because I refuse to camp out at Best Buy (or anywhere else).

Or you could stay up late. DW said Old Navy opens at 5, I think. I don't care. I barely ever buy anything from Old Navy, and when I do, I tend to regret it. I also have no clue what we'd possibly want from Best Buy. Or from pretty much any store, for that matter.

• Like 3

I used the Amazon $5 off thing on a Lindsey Stirling violin book, so I'll be able to play the Pokémon theme song (and some other songs). And on a book about where to go kayaking etc in WNY (it allegedly also tells you where you can rent those things). Because separately those books were too cheap to qualify. I'm hoping Amazon will have a better deal for Cyber Monday, since I still need to get Broccoli the Guinness World Records for 2018 (we have the 2007 book, but he wants the new one, though he's asking for the 2017 one because he believes the 2018 one will come out in, well, 2018. Turns out he's right about the paperback one, which will come out Feb 20... the hardcover one has been out since August though, and the only ones for 2017 I can find cost more than the 2018 version, so, it looks like it's going to be the hardcover 2018 version... which is $19.97, so was 3 cents too cheap to qualify for the $5 off $20 deal. So, hopefully Cyber Monday). Mostly willing to put up with a new one because the kids keep quizzing me on which country has the most roads and stuff like that, which very well might have changed in the past decade (see, I thought they'd be interested in how fast people can run or something, which probably hasn't changed substantially... oh well). 

• Like 3

Omaha, by chance? My brother had those sent to my mom's once when we were all there. They weren't good.

Yes. We also have chicken breasts and hamburgers and hot dogs, iirc. DW isn't sure whether to bother cooking those. 

I hear the other one is superior.

No, the other one is Ontario. (Superior is elsewhere - near Michigan, I think)

• Like 1

See, i’m Looking at the map and the US/Canadian border is totally convoluted with the lakes and peninsulas and rivers and waterfalls. I never realized Canada was right next to Detroit.

I knew that, because when I was a truck driver they kept sending me into Canada through Detroit. I didn't have a clue what lakes were where though (I've learned more since moving here, because when you have to teach NY history those lakes tend to be relevant... well, at least some of them. And the Erie Canal... historically quite important).

• Like 2