Menu

Ignore this thread!

On that theme: Guess who has almost an entire day to herself? It took longer to get through the chores without the boys, but it's so quiet and peaceful.

Chores are done, laundry is on, and directly, I'm going to move to the kitchen to write because I can! :hurray:

• Like 4

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

On that theme: Guess who has almost an entire day to herself? It took longer to get through the chores without the boys, but it's so quiet and peaceful.

Chores are done, laundry is on, and directly, I'm going to move to the kitchen to write because I can! :hurray:

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 2

Our cat is whining at us a lot because we left her locked in the house alone for a few days while we went to the wedding.  She is currently pestering DD13.  "I just TRIED to let you out and you decided you didn't want to.  I am not getting up again TWO SECONDS LATER just because you decide you want out after all!"

I'm hiding over here, sipping hot chocolate and waiting for the others to be ready to start school.  I want uninterrupted time in which to write (I'm 6 days behind now), and right now I keep interrupting myself because I'm in a holding pattern.  Meow!  Meow!  Meow!   I want to whine, too!

• Like 3

I just placed an order to make myself a capsule wardrobe. It was all from thredup, so not too $$$ comparatively, but DH will be surprised to see that bill come through.

I’m excited to see if this simplifies my life and actually makes me look coordinated. I copied most of it off some rando Pinterest board w/ a couple changes. The only thing I didn’t get was shoes because I can never find any. I also didn’t get the bags because I don’t carry them, and I thought I’d just steal DDs scarves.

Have any of you gone to capsule wardrobes? I collected a bunch of clothes that no longer fit right or don’t work w/ my capsule and passed them on to DDs A and B. They were excited, but I still have too much I’m holding onto.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 3

Our cat is whining at us a lot because we left her locked in the house alone for a few days while we went to the wedding. She is currently pestering DD13. "I just TRIED to let you out and you decided you didn't want to. I am not getting up again TWO SECONDS LATER just because you decide you want out after all!"

I'm hiding over here, sipping hot chocolate and waiting for the others to be ready to start school. I want uninterrupted time in which to write (I'm 6 days behind now), and right now I keep interrupting myself because I'm in a holding pattern. Meow! Meow! Meow! I want to whine, too!

The best thing about our previous houses was the doggy door! I miss it so much. Our house now only has glass doors that won’t take a doggy door. :(

• Like 2

I just placed an order to make myself a capsule wardrobe. It was all from thredup, so not too $$$ comparatively, but DH will be surprised to see that bill come through.

I’m excited to see if this simplifies my life and actually makes me look coordinated. I copied most of it off some rando Pinterest board w/ a couple changes. The only thing I didn’t get was shoes because I can never find any. I also didn’t get the bags because I don’t carry them, and I thought I’d just steal DDs scarves.

Have any of you gone to capsule wardrobes? I collected a bunch of clothes that no longer fit right or don’t work w/ my capsule and passed them on to DDs A and B. They were excited, but I still have too much I’m holding onto.

If it means clothes that you wear on a regular basis, yes.

Sort of. I go to the thrift store when my current wardrobe has too many stains and/or holes to be worn in public, and get two pair of jeans, a few shirts and wear those into rags.

I don't coordinate very well. :blush:

• Like 2

Just about everything you need to know about capsule wardrobes can be found here.  

This is a really good youtube channel.  I've watched many of her videos and I've learned a lot.  Not that I'm fashionable, but I would like to be.

Also, with five daughters who all have different coloring and different shapes, it's been very informative.

• Like 2

I don’t have that many clothes and I have a rule against buying things that don’t match at least two other things, so I guess you could call it a capsulish wardrobe by default.

I’m no good at picking what matches. I liked having someone say: just buy these items and wear them like this. I can follow directions, but I can’t visualize fashion possibilities. Unless it’s kids’ clothes. I was awesome at styling baby- preschool girls!

• Like 2

I think in effect I tend to default to a capsule wardrobe, in that there are specific clothes I wear nearly all the time.  I don't worry too much about being coordinated, though for the most part it's hard to get crop jeans and t-shirts to clash.  (It's more the stains on the shirts from washing pots & pans or other activities that I worry about.)

I do have some other clothes that I can likely get rid of, since I haven't worn any of them for a few years now.  Some of them are office-appropriate, and I guess I'll hang on to a few of those as long as they fit, just in case.  Others are the few dressy outfits I have, and those do get worn infrequently when a wedding, funeral, or special event crops up.

I don't fixate on a certain number of pieces, other than to try to make sure I can manage to put together changes of clothing for 15 days for whatever the prevailing weather is (although sometimes I'm hard pressed to get beyond changes for 8 days).  My thinking here is laundry-based: can I go two weeks without running laundry if I really had to?  I always count clothing changes in (# weeks x 7) + 1 day, because in order to do laundry once a week one needs 8 changes of clothes (wear one, wash 7).  

• Like 2

What is a capsule wardrobe, anyway? I hear y'all talk about it.

Having fewer clothes to wear for a season, and selecting pieces that work well together.  It's a nice idea, if you can do laundry frequently enough (or live somewhere where you don't get your clothes sweaty or muddy in less than a day, so you can re-wear something before laundering it).  It removes a lot of the stress of sorting through piles of clothing, trying to figure out what fits and what you can wear.

• Like 2

If it means clothes that you wear on a regular basis, yes.

Sort of. I go to the thrift store when my current wardrobe has too many stains and/or holes to be worn in public, and get two pair of jeans, a few shirts and wear those into rags.

I don't coordinate very well. :blush:

The only reason I don't shop thrift stores for my clothes is I can't spot things on the racks that fit me.  When my BFF would go with me she would find things for me that fit.  I would try them on to confirm, and buy them.

I tend to choose clothing that doesn't have to coordinate much, though for a wedding I will at least make an attempt.  I think I did okay.  Luckily I wasn't in many of the pictures, since I was helping to take them.

#Idon'tphotographwellanyway

• Like 2

Just about everything you need to know about capsule wardrobes can be found here.  

This is a really good youtube channel.  I've watched many of her videos and I've learned a lot.  Not that I'm fashionable, but I would like to be.

Also, with five daughters who all have different coloring and different shapes, it's been very informative.

Justine is quite helpful!  I feel like I have a bit of a clue now, which I certainly didn't have before finding her stuff.  She explains things well.

• Like 3

Fall break. I ketchupped.

Actually, becoming middle aged has done something to my brain.... I'm not sure what.   :glare:  :hat:  :D

I blame parenthood. :glare:

There's some stuff. Probably better to wait. 

I would say the same age/maturity level as for any of this other books, which for me was 14+.

How do you accidentally strength train?

#thingsthatneverhappenatmyhouse

Baby's best friends are Ceiling and Wall. We are all like, "Talk to us! Play with us!"

And he's craning his neck, getting mad, and thinking, "Move your stupid faces so I can talk to Ceiling and Wall!" 

We're starting to think the house must be haunted, there's a poltergeist, or something else going on with the ceilings and walls!

Ceiling fans were a hit here. Who needs a mobile?

• Like 7

I found out the day after the wedding that my niece was blaming me for "losing" one of the items for the wedding ceremony.  It was something small, that the groom was supposed to have in his pocket when the time came.  My niece, the bride, had it in her purse, and she had handed her purse off to me asking me to take care of it.  

• She never told me it contained something needed for the ceremony.
  • The something needed was not a tradition I had ever heard of before.  The bride certainly never told me about it, just like she didn't tell most of us about any of the other traditions from the groom's side.  Had I heard ahead of time about this tradition I would have been asking who had custody of the item and who was going to make sure the groom got it in time.
  • She never asked for me to hand her purse or the item to her, nor did she ask that said item be delivered to the groom.  Basically, she forgot all about it (and I suspect the groom also forgot about it) until they reached that point in the ceremony, by which point it was too late. 
  • The officiant improvised on-the-fly, so all was well anyway.

Still, I am a little miffed that she was trying to actually blame me.  Me, who only arrived the night before, saw nothing of the rehearsal, and knew nothing of how the ceremony was supposed to go.  I wasn't even supposed to be taking pictures, or driving her around, or lacing up her gown (twice!  I have blisters!), or doing any of the many varied things I did to help deal with derailments and keep everything moving forward.

I'm both laughing over the whole mishap and contemplating letting her know at Thanksgiving just how many of her Bridezilla details (nit-picky details she was adamant about, which caused no end of headaches for her mother, who was arranging everything) actually went awry.  

I'll try to be good, but if she keeps trying to lay blame on people I will start speaking up.

• Like 3

I only wear brown, so that makes matching clothes easy.

That's entirely untrue - today I'm wearing blue jeans and an orange sweater. But when I am looking at things in the thrift store, I gravitate toward brown. Probably half my clothes are in the brown family.

Isn't that funny? I go for gray. I just love fog gray shirts. They soothe me somehow. I also love white, but don't get many white or cream shirts because of the aforementioned issues I have with stains and holes.

I also fall in love whenever I find dark blue jeans that are wide-leg from the hips down.

• Like 2

First interview done. It was actually a staffing service, too. It pays more, but will be a more demanding job than my interview later, and is overnight rather than day shift. I'm signed up for an orientation Thursday, and the lady knows I have another interview today. She said call her if I accept the other job, but I can always come back later if needed.

Coffee now, then on to the other one.

DH took kid duty this morning and I slept in until nearly 8. ðŸ˜

This booya is dedicated to DH, because he deserves one.

Good luck! I hope you get a day-shift job, though. Unless you are night owl, and just love working nights. I hope you get a lot of offers so that you can choose which one is best for you.

• Like 2

My capsule is black/white/gray. I like brown but the lady on the computer said black/white/gray, so that’s what it’ll be!

I shop on online thrift or used clothing sites and try to stick to a few brands and sizes I know fit me. When I try new things they rarely work.

• Like 4

First interview done. It was actually a staffing service, too. It pays more, but will be a more demanding job than my interview later, and is overnight rather than day shift. I'm signed up for an orientation Thursday, and the lady knows I have another interview today. She said call her if I accept the other job, but I can always come back later if needed.

Coffee now, then on to the other one.

DH took kid duty this morning and I slept in until nearly 8. ðŸ˜

This booya is dedicated to DH, because he deserves one.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

This is a good post, and a good booy/boej/a/h!

(How's that for fence-straddling?)

• Like 3

:grouphug: AMJ. My guess is that her wedding day wasn't all she had hoped for, and she's not mature enough to accept the truth of life: stuff happens.

I didn't say stuff, exactly... :leaving:

You are spot on.  She's been stressed through the whole event, and I suspect she's only just beginning to realize the heavy load she has just signed up for.  Still, she would garner more willing ears to listen to her if she wasn't trying to blame everyone around her for details that didn't matter (in the end) going wrong.

• Like 1

You are spot on.  She's been stressed through the whole event, and I suspect she's only just beginning to realize the heavy load she has just signed up for.  Still, she would garner more willing ears to listen to her if she wasn't trying to blame everyone around her for details that didn't matter (in the end) going wrong.

Yep. That stupid maturity thing is probably tripping her up there, too. :laugh: I bet if somebody tried to distract her with what all went right at the wedding, she'd still harp on the things that went wrong. 

So it turns out I'm an inverted triangle, with warm undertones, and amazingly proud of my huge shoulders because I tend to strut them with tank tops all summer long. :laugh: And go figure--the pants I fall in love with are the ones that make my legs look extra long.

Now if I can just figure out how to rock killer heels without falling flat on my face...

• Like 1

Things are stressful right now. But God is good. 

An electrician said that he was booked way out and couldn't come put in an outlet for the range anytime soon but he would be happy to talk dh through it on the phone for free.

I got shunted around from department to department in the Children's hospital network but the last lady I talked to said that she would work everything out for me just in time to get the needed paperwork to dd's doctor tomorrow.  Phew!  No one would have died if it hadn't been done but it would have been a waste of an appointment without the needed paperwork.

• Like 4

I sort of have a capsule wardrobe. Except it's a very large capsule. But all of my clothes are coordinated and can mix and match. The colors are all black, gray, cobalt blue, red and mint/seafoam green. Stripes and polka dots are prominent. Not because I purposefully designed a mix and match wardrobe, but because those are the patterns and colors I love.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 4