• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Speaking of which, I've been wanting to work on my English grammar. I believe it will help with my Greek. I have the Junior Analytical Grammar workbook and FLL 3. Opinions? I will use something else but I don't want to buy anything. 

Either one of those would be fine. 

I love verbals. They are so cool. 

Still plugging away at school. Those boys are going to have to get up earlier. I'm already trying to get some housekeeping completed so that I can write this afternoon. Looks like dinner will be leftovers, because Mom isn't going to have time to cook today!

• Like 2

I decided a long time ago that I wanted to use Saxon Math, but I was not interested in the K-3 books. I believe I read about Ray's Arithmetic in The Well Trained Mind and thought it would go well before Saxon 5/4. After spending some time with the book I was head over heels in love. I love the simplicity and thoroughness of vintage math, I love the focus on mental math and word problems, as well as the attention given to concepts such as business math, interest, and foreign money. If I felt that a $200 program would be better I would come up with $200. I also have Miquon and the Al Abacus Activities Guide. I plan to use vintage math until I get to Algebra.

• Like 1

Ds had a good first day of college.  He likes his profs.  He's already done half of today's homework.  He's now at work.  Driving him didn't quite take as long as I thought it would and any time shaved off of it helps a lot. 

Dd, who I was really worrying about with 9th grade, is killing it this year. 

I hate my gut though.  (Just so you don't think that everything is puppies and rainbows here.)

• Like 10

DS just learned it last night - year 2 of MCT.  He was not happy to learn that there were other phrases than prepositional.  He thought he had phrases down pat.  :rofl:  

Yeah, the Literature level we are currently doing has further surprises explanations of stuff, too.  How about sentences with dependent clauses that act as a part of the sentence?  That means you have a dependent clause INSIDE of an independent clause!

Lovely!  Those go along nicely with the old school reader I inherited from my teacher-ish grandmother, The New My Streets and Roads.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Literature level we are currently doing has further surprises explanations of stuff, too.  How about sentences with dependent clauses that act as a part of the sentence?  That means you have a dependent clause INSIDE of an independent clause!

Oh, he's going to love that!

Do you like the Literature level so far?  It threw off my whole plan a year, but it sounds awesome.

• Like 1

Ds had a good first day of college.  He likes his profs.  He's already done half of today's homework.  He's now at work.  Driving him didn't quite take as long as I thought it would and any time shaved off of it helps a lot. 

Dd, who I was really worrying about with 9th grade, is killing it this year. 

I hate my gut though.  (Just so you don't think that everything is puppies and rainbows here.)

Hooray!  and 

Hooray!  and

Aww, there there.   :grouphug:

• Like 1

I think JAG might be better than FLL3. There's lots of repetition in FLL which is age appropriate for the age it's meant for, but maybe not so much for adults.

It's a GRAMMAR for adults BOOYAH!!!

Valid point. Although you have to really consider my maturity level when choosing a program. ;)

Has anyone used Our Mother Tongue? I would pay for that because I think I would enjoy it. There's also Harvey's and KISS, but neither look appealing to me.

Oh, he's going to love that!

Do you like the Literature level so far?  It threw off my whole plan a year, but it sounds awesome.

Yeah, actually, I do, and so do the girls.  It is a bit different from the preceding levels, however.  The differences make enough of a change of pace that we actually kinda needed.  One of the things we are doing differently this year is doing the poetry book entirely before starting on the writing book.  The writing book is done in 4 sections and MCT even suggests handling each section on its own and perhaps allowing some break time between sections.  He also suggested doing poetry first, and it's not that long of a book, so we are treating it as a 5th section that precedes the 4 writing sections.

The vocabulary book has only 10 lessons instead of 20, but the students are working with 20 vocabulary words per lesson.  Not to fear, however, in each lesson 5 of the 20 words are from Caesar's English I and 5 are from Caesar's English II, so half of the vocabulary is review for those who took CE I & II.  The quizzes at the end of the lessons are also lesson-specific instead of each being cumulative, and there are two cumulative review quizzes, one after the Lesson 5 quiz, and one after Lesson 10's.

Grammar continues to be review of familiar content with further complexities added in, and he introduces his "T-model" for sentence diagramming.  It's not that scary and actually makes a lot of sense, basically putting the sentence structure into a visual, less linear format.

His reading "trilogy" we are using this year includes A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, A Christmas Carol, and The Time Machine.  I thought the girls would have a bit of trouble with some of the Mallory-esque language used in Connecticut Yankee, but they seem to be taking it right in stride and are giggling quite a lot over the absurdities.  I hadn't bought a separate copy for myself so I have to keep borrowing one of theirs to keep up, and finding one of those books laying about idle when I have free-ish time is hard.  The kids keep going back to giggling over Mark Twain whenever they have a chance.

So far in the Poetry book most everything is review, but it is discussed as how poetic devices get used in literature, in quality prose as well as poems.  The girls are quite liking the poetry book, too, and I have them read aloud themselves through the samples provided so they actually listen to the sound of the literature.  Somehow they are all over this idea of being allowed to enjoy the SOUND of a good tale.

• Like 1

Okay, Our Mother Tongue is $15, but I can probably get it for next to nothing on Amazon, and the workbook is $5 at RR. That's not bad, even if I wind up hating it. It has good reviews and isn't for 3rd graders. I think that's good. Do you think that's good?

Analytical Grammar.  I'm not familiar with the junior version, but if Lynn says to start there, she's probably right.  If it's just for you, though, I would think you'd do fine with just AG.

Analytical Grammar. I'm not familiar with the junior version, but if Lynn says to start there, she's probably right. If it's just for you, though, I would think you'd do fine with just AG.

I only have JAG and AG is expensive. I would get it for a student, but not for me. I don't need it and I have a tendency to not finish things.

Time for a break! School is over, dd's broken phone has been mailed back, treadmill walking/jogging done, and science project supplies purchased. Halloween costumes have been purchased/ordered, and ddil and I got busy and planned Thanksgiving and when we're getting together for Christmas. We're skipping Halloween, since it's on a Monday.

Ds has rash-like patches on his leg. Hope he didn't get bitten by anything. Last spider bite took over a year to heal, and ant bites have taken many months to heal.

Liking for your impressive productivity today.  Not liking the rash/possible bite.  I hope it's just a heat rash and goes away quickly.

• Like 1

It turns out the guys DH contacted to come get the fridge weren't quick enough -- the guys I saw loading it up and taking it away were someone else.  Signs saying "Free" and "Works" work quite well, even on a dead end street in a maze of dead end streets!

• Like 1

You should be. It's awesome.

You can't have mine, though.

I'm afraid I'm going to buy it and then not use it. That's typically what I do when it comes to self education. And crafts. And cleaning supplies. I got the book that Tex recommended, but it's filled with terms I don't understand. I need something that starts at the beginning. I think our mother tongue would be good. I will break JAG out to make sure that I don't love it.

I am going in search of banana ketchup.  It's a thing.  A Filipino thing.  From WWII when GI's introduced ketchup but they didn't have tomatoes but had lots of bananas instead. 

I'm also going to go buy a book on cadavers for dd14.  It's for Biology.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stiff-mary-roach/1101998814?ean=9780393324822&pcta=n&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Textbooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP237&k_clickid=3x237#

• Like 3

I think my uterus is trying to kill me. I've had three children. Is there a place I can trade in my periods for the ability to pee standing up?

We're at Krispy Kream.

This took like 2 minutes.

What I would suggest, Slache, is start with what you have, and then, every chance you get, pick sentences from the books you are reading to your kids for you to analyze. That way you keep practicing what you are learning.

Pft. Waaaaaaay too much work.

Gloating is not attractive.

Neither are fat and acne, but that didn't stop me.

I bet you could find some grammar books at the library. 

Oh, good idear.

I am going in search of banana ketchup.  It's a thing.  A Filipino thing.  From WWII when GI's introduced ketchup but they didn't have tomatoes but had lots of bananas instead. 

I'm also going to go buy a book on cadavers for dd14.  It's for Biology.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stiff-mary-roach/1101998814?ean=9780393324822&pcta=n&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Textbooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP237&k_clickid=3x237#

What do you do with banana ketchup?

• Like 4