Menu

Ignore this thread!

I don't really want anything from a fitness tracker.  In fact, I don't want one at all.  However, I was mildly interested in getting one for a good price.  But I don't need complicated and they all sound unnecessarily complicated to me.  I found out my phone will tell me how many steps it thinks I take each day for nothing.  It's not always right because I don't always have it on me, but it's easy and cheap which is perfect.  

I found an app, Pacer, that talks with MyFitnessPal, so I downloaded it and have been using it.  The problem is it will only count steps when I am carrying my phone, which I don't reliably do all the time.  I can, however, approximate the missed steps by sitting and shaking the phone at my walking pace for however long I was walking without it.  :D

I thought getting a Jawbone Up Move would be handier to carry since I could put it in my pocket.  However THAT shorts me on my steps alarmingly, and sometime shorts me on my sleep stats, too.  I'll go through some measures to try to correct it, but I suspect I'll have to talk to the support people by phone directly.  Trying to contact them through the website's email form got me standard boiler plate "fixes" for problems other than the one I had.

DH wants something to track his sleep.  I'd like to try some out with an eye to perhaps getting fitness and/or sleep trackers for the kids.  For myself I'm just curious about the sleep specs, and I want my steps counted so I get credit for that level of activity.  :D   Besides, when I do get a lot of housework done it's gratifying to see how many steps I've gotten in -- no wonder we get so exhausted!

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I don't give a rat's behind that what my step count is. I guess I'm odd in that respect. I like the accountability for fitness and diet. I'm looking at this now...

Step count can count for much. A study showed that 10,000 steps a day showed definite health benefits. I'm nowhere close to getting that everyday, but it is a goal (including when exercising).

• Like 4

I do care, not because the number itself is magical, but because it gives me something objective to improve.  I started out barely being able to make 1000 steps a day with the help of physical therapy to over 6000 steps daily.  I have done much higher step counts but I set my actual goal for the lower end of what I can do in order to cover the bad days. 

Woohoo!  Good job!  Keep at it, and we'll keep rooting for you!

And hey, if you'd care to post your steps achieved in a day from time to time it can give the rest of us lazy bums something to live up to when we've been sitting around on the couch too much.  :D

• Like 5

I have both Google Fit on my phone, and a Fitbit I wear on my pants. I have them hooked to different things. The Fitbit is connected to Sparkpeople, and the Fit is connected to the Walgreens Balance Rewards. GF is better at counting minutes and I get points on my balance rewards card for Walgreens. I don't always carry my phone though. Sparkpeople and FB talk to each other about everything - nutrition, steps, activity minutes, calories burned. They talk behind my back a lot so I have to check in to see what they are saying about me.

• Like 4

I rarely break 5,000 steps a day. No idea why, but I found it very discouaging. I feel better about myself if I ignore step count and focus on active time spent.

Mine is the opposite. My fitbit barely marks minutes, regardless of how many steps I have because of how it counts active minutes. I have a lot of days that show 0 active minutes, but over 5,000 steps. It makes no sense. That's why I also like the Google Fit because it counts minutes better.

• Like 2

I wish it would quit. It's starting to smell like OLD fried chicken. We haven't fried anything in this house for weeks now, and nowhere else in the house has the smell, just sitting at my computer. In the middle of a big room downstairs.

Oh, that's what my computer smelled like when it was overheating!

• Like 1

I was doing Latin.

Educational post for the day.

:)

I was doing Latin in the sense that I was printing out 2 sets of Latin worksheets and quizes and an answer key and setting up Latin binders.

Then I was looking up possible literature and history books for SOTW 4. I really should just buy the activity guide. It would save me a whole lotta work.

• Like 4

I did no Latin today.

I did do some German, if you count changing the language on my AlphaBetty app so I can practice thinking in German. I am up to level 335 and you have to play on Facesuck in order to go on. So I am re-playing the lower levels in German. Because AlphaBetty withdrawal is real.

Oh, and Pokemon Go Zombies have taken over the park near me. I saw them all wandering in odd directions with their limbs ever which way, connected to strange rectangular devices. Creepy.

• Like 5

I did no Latin today.

I did do some German, if you count changing the language on my AlphaBetty app so I can practice thinking in German. I am up to level 335 and you have to play on Facesuck in order to go on. So I am re-playing the lower levels in German. Because AlphaBetty withdrawal is real.

Oh, and Pokemon Go Zombies have taken over the park near me. I saw them all wandering in odd directions with their limbs ever which way, connected to strange rectangular devices. Creepy.

Keep your child close by! It's the apocalypse!

What kinds of German language resources can you recommend for my dd17, who is trying to learn and is going through textbooks, but really would like some more engaging resources. And free or low cost would be super nice, too.

• Like 3

Keep your child close by! It's the apocalypse!

What kinds of German language resources can you recommend for my dd17, who is trying to learn and is going through textbooks, but really would like some more engaging resources. And free or low cost would be super nice, too.

Right now we are using the Learnables, duolingo (I think the first language is free?), and poptok (an app/game similar to Candy Crush but teaches vocabulary - maybe that was the one where the first is free- I don't remember anymore)

I have a bunch of stuff from my high school and college classes - I kept almost all my books.

I also have a German language Bible which I used to read side by side with my English one to learn.

• Like 3

'Scuse me, please, but I STILL smell fried chicken.  Would you look up "causes of mysterious fried chicken smells" for me?  Please?

has anyone done this yet? I'm not ketched up yet. 

if not : (sit down & hope they go away quick before reading)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/temporal-lobe-seizure/expert-answers/phantosmia/faq-20058131

can also present with migraines iirc

• Like 3

Your problem is better than mine.  I keep thinking that I smell pee.  I finally realized that it is the dog's food.  :svengo: It's quality dog food!  Honest!  No pee at all on the ingredient list. 

Still out of likes, so LIKE.

The fried chicken smell is gone.  I suspect the neighbors next door were cooking it yesterday.  I'll ask to borrow DH's FLIR camera (he got one for his phone) this evening to check for gaps around the windows and second back door -- if it was the neighbors that's where the smells would have wafted in from.

• Like 1

I'm headed to the Y.  I've already reported my starting steps to Renai and Quackersh.  ;)  (They hear my nightly stats and wave pom poms for me.)

Hooray!  Go, Jeanie, go!

I rarely break 5,000 steps a day. No idea why, but I found it very discouaging. I feel better about myself if I ignore step count and focus on active time spent.

Maybe your device isn't tracking your steps reliably.  With the Pacer app I had to go adjust the sensitivity setting a bit to get it to see more of my steps.  My method for checking step count accuracy: after I have sat a bit I check how many the device/app claims, then get up and walk around while counting my steps, then I sit back down again to see how far off the app or device is from my count.  In the case of the UP Move I have to watch the UP app on my phone and wait for it to sync first.

As it is, none of these will track rolling around on the floor playing with kids, pursuing kids in the bathtub at bath time, or many sundry such activities.  Don't forget hugs, belly smooches, and tickle sessions, too -- these not only burn calories, they develop healthy and happy little kiddies!  So many of life's most important activities can't be quantified and tracked.

Mine is the opposite. My fitbit barely marks minutes, regardless of how many steps I have because of how it counts active minutes. I have a lot of days that show 0 active minutes, but over 5,000 steps. It makes no sense. That's why I also like the Google Fit because it counts minutes better.

Yeah, neither my UP Move nor the Pacer app seem to be noticing I'm moving around.  Somehow they think that doing dishes, cleaning the kitchen, and cooking are all done sitting down -- simply not possible in my kitchen.  That's why when I do a lot of laundry, decluttering, cleaning, cooking, etc. I'll eyeball the clock to get approximate time spent on the activity and then plug it into the calories burned tracker online (healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc).  I then enter these into MyFitnessPal as cardio exercise because if I'm breaking a sweat and raising my heart beat I think it counts!

• Like 2

You must eat the legs first.

Why, so they can't run away?

When our kids were little they usually went into the mouth whole, head first, because they were headed down to the party in the tummy.  My kids' foods at times would BEG to be eaten so they could join the party!

• Like 5