Menu

Ignore this thread!

You can't do two languages with a 1st grader. It's abusive. I won't have it.

Really. All the rest of the world does it and comes out with smart kids... Besides, it's more than two languages. She's learning to read in Spanish now too. :D

German right now is limited to wake up and get ready time, because that's all I remember. After her 6-week Chinese class on Outschool, we'll go back to the German for a jump-start. There are some short German classes on Outschool. I like short. It's long enough to learn something, but short enough to keep attention. Plus, it's cheap, I don't have to teach it, and can see how interested she actually is in something.

edited to add: don't forget sign language...

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

Really. All the rest of the world does it and comes out with smart kids... Besides, it's more than two languages. She's learning to read in Spanish now too. :D

German right now is limited to wake up and get ready time, because that's all I remember. After her 6-week Chinese class on Outschool, we'll go back to the German for a jump-start. There are some short German classes on Outschool. I like short. It's long enough to learn something, but short enough to keep attention. Plus, it's cheap, I don't have to teach it, and can see how interested she actually is in something.

edited to add: don't forget sign language...

I'm teaching it all myself but I'm way ahead of him in Greek and we're taking Japanese at a snail's pace. I think we'll take Greek seriously together and I'll get him enough Japanese to let him go. No outsourcing yet...

My aunt still works full time as an accountant at almost 75yrs old. She is busy w/ no intention of retiring. But can you get a CPA w/ an associate’s degree?

No, that's to start working in the field. I think you need something almost equivalent to a master's degree in order to be a CPA, but accounting is a field in which you can work your way up because the education is cumulative to a great deal.

You could do the same thing as an RN to work your way through medical school.

I like Chinese food. Does that count?

My maiden name is German. Does that count? And my favorite phrase is Low German. Well, one word of it is in Low German. That makes me bilingual.

What is my favorite phrase?? “Awwww, he’s just making shput....†(shput rhymes with shut) which means he’s talking silly, nonsense.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I kind of want to get a 31 tattooed. 

Btw, that's a joke about the lyrics of that song, in which the guy wants a 13 tattooed but they drew a 31. I thought it was funny when the song first came out, but I'm not about to actually go get a tattoo - I probably would've by now if I was going to. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

My maiden name is in Dutch. That counts, right? Especially after drinking some jenever (Dutch gin - the origin of that Dutch courage thing). My Dutch is very good after that. Oh, wait. It's actually pretty good before that too. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Krissi, are you still learning guitar? Have you seen this free app called "Chordify"? You can search for songs you want to learn and people have put in the chords from youtube videos and it will show you the chords to play along with it. You can also transpose it to a key you like better and stuff. Pretty neat. I'm using it for ukulele stuff.

• Like 2

I went and laid down for a minute after our daddysalmosthometimetocleanthehouse and woke up two hours laterwhen dh came to check if I was still alive. I think I have a fever.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm teaching it all myself but I'm way ahead of him in Greek and we're taking Japanese at a snail's pace. I think we'll take Greek seriously together and I'll get him enough Japanese to let him go. No outsourcing yet...

I can't do everything. Especially since I'm working, and volunteering to teach 3 other classes. Outsourcing it is. Besides, I don't know Chinese, and the tones require a native speaker. I will definitely be cutting back on the volunteering next year. 

• Like 2

Nope. My mom's house, my aunts' and uncles' houses, and my granny's house. Always. But besides at my Granny's house us kids were not allowed to do anything that would mess anything up. And I had the job of keeping my mom's house that way. Nothing was EVER left out, beds were always made perfectly, no one could lie or sit on top of a made bed, etc...

For what purpose? I for one am not impressed. Sounds maddening! Says I as I flop down on the couch after jumping over the Legos and being sure not to spill my drink in the process....
  • Like 4

Is that French? I’m not a fan. I never could get the sounds or the lack thereof as the case often was.

Yes, that's French, and I had to go back and edit the post because I forgot the t in sont (I think there's supposed to be a t there... I *think* I spelled it correctly now). Some of the song is in French, some in Arabic (I think - my Arabic is non-existent).