• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

But I get to work surrounded by books. Bookstores don't pay much, either, and I like libraries better.

Put piles of books in your cubicle. Done. 

For the most direct contact with books, apply to be a page and make minimum wage... but at least you get to spend your days shelving books, and, you don't need a master's degree (high school diploma should be plenty, even in this age of places wanting a bachelor's for everything). Working the reference desk so you can tell people where the restroom is takes a master's degree though, which isn't financially a great plan unless you can get it for free or cheap.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Being an academic reference librarian could be fun, but they typically want a bachelor's degree and preferably a master's degree in a subject and then an MLS as well, at least at decent size research universities. You could probably snatch a neat job at a CC or *small* college with just an MLS though. Collection development sounds like fun, and management does too, and the latter actually can pay halfway decently (unless the library is tiny). Of course, YMMV, and all that. 

And while you can get a bachelor's degree in library science, and take basically the same courses as master's students, and be just as qualified, unions tend to make it such that you need an MLS. Basically, jobs in libraries either require high school or less (page, clerk), or MLS or more (actual librarian jobs). 

But hey... if you work in a public (or public school) library for 10 consecutive years while making payments, the govt *should* forgive your remaining student loans (if there's any left of those after making payments for 10 years, and they don't renege on that). 

Edited by luuknam

I napped, had more coffee and chocolate, and feel friendlier.

People need to learn that my DC should not be forced to babysit Baby. First, they are too young and inexperienced to safely be in charge of a newborn- they need to be taught and supervised. Beyond that, they are kids who need to be kids.

• Like 3

Dd’s doctor appointment was great. He couldn’t find anything to complain about and said she doesn’t look like she has cp at all except for her reflexes. She’s excited. CP can’t be cured, but she’s basically cured.

We took a big risk against a lot of medical advice to take her to the surgeon who said he could help her. It’s a great feeling to see that it has paid off!

• Like 8

No, just baked. Luuknam knows.

Paige is helping me make my case for never having a guest room. Matt wants like a guest suite with a sitting area and bathroom. Really not happening. At least we're poor.

I’ve tried that before- deliberately bought a house w/ no guest room. They sleep on the couch or kick DS onto the floor. It’s worse for us. Now I fantasize about a guest house in the backyard.

I also did that Boundaries book and we decided we can’t have boundaries like we should. We are unwilling to end the relationships. :(

• Like 2

I've had a sore throat all day. Just had half a glass of grapes to kill any throat germs. Getting ready to go to a casual piano "recital" at the retirement home. I'm thinking it would be more enjoyable if I brought the rest of the bottle with me. :eek: :cheers2: :svengo: :tongue_smilie:

Just kidding. I would only really need half the bottle. :tongue_smilie:

Truly kidding. :hat: I wouldn't actually drink at the retirement home or a piano recital. :leaving:

The elderly would probably steal it from you.

Does that make me Baked Alaska?

No, stoned.

I also did that Boundaries book and we decided we can’t have boundaries like we should. We are unwilling to end the relationships. :(

You wouldn't be ending the relationship. You'd be putting up appropriate boundaries. They can live with them or not, but if they decide to end the relationship over that, they'd be ending the relationship, not you.

• Like 4

No judgement here, but you non-folding peeps - do your kids look wrinkled all the time?

Asking for a friend.

My kids' shirts don't tend to be wrinkly. They mostly wear jeans. Dress pants/khakis and dress shirts have to be hung up.

I'm going to check out the Kon Marie rolling. I have tried to teach my kids how to fold shirts like they do in clothing stores which is really quick and easy, but if they won't do that I can't imagine they would take the time to both fold AND roll anything.

• Like 1

Omg - this kid. 
I logged into Teach Your Monster to Read to see if it taught sounds and just to kind of check it out as a fun alternative. (MAJOR struggles with anything letter/sound related. Getting ready for some more testing in December to see how to proceed. Anyway...) Nothing major, really, but dd decided that she wanted to try it. She played it for a good 40 minutes and worked through 8 letters/sounds. 

Did she learn any sounds? Nope. She did, however, notice a pattern in the testing and figured out how to still win. 

If she ever learns how to read, the world better buckle up. lol 

• Like 8

No judgement here, but you non-folding peeps - do your kids look wrinkled all the time?  

Asking for a friend.  

Ummm...  mostly, yes?   :laugh:  But no one notices because they are so loud cute.  

But seriously, no....they aren't wrinkly all the time.  I do hang church clothes (in a separate closet in the hall, for lack of space) but their day to day clothes are miraculously not wrinkled.  I suppose certain types of fabrics might be a problem?  But I have some sensory kids so our cotton is usually a decent quality, and any wrinkles, if there are any at all, shake out within a couple minutes of wearing.  

• Like 2

Dd’s doctor appointment was great. He couldn’t find anything to complain about and said she doesn’t look like she has cp at all except for her reflexes. She’s excited. CP can’t be cured, but she’s basically cured.

We took a big risk against a lot of medical advice to take her to the surgeon who said he could help her. It’s a great feeling to see that it has paid off!

I'm outta likes again, but this deserved a huge argghhhh!

Yay!  

• Like 2

My kids' shirts don't tend to be wrinkly. They mostly wear jeans. Dress pants/khakis and dress shirts have to be hung up.

I'm going to check out the Kon Marie rolling. I have tried to teach my kids how to fold shirts like they do in clothing stores which is really quick and easy, but if they won't do that I can't imagine they would take the time to both fold AND roll anything.

Rolling is nice because they can see what's in their drawer more easily.  Reduces rummaging.  And I think you can fit more in the same space, too. 

• Like 2

Oh, and I'm probably not doing a regulation KonMari roll.  I don't think I've ever actually seen how she does it.  

Kids just tuck in any appendages, like sleeves, and roll.  So not really a fold + roll. 

Oh, and I'm probably not doing a regulation KonMari roll.  I don't think I've ever actually seen how she does it.  

Kids just tuck in any appendages, like sleeves, and roll.  So not really a fold + roll.

She doesn't roll. It's a regular fold followed bt a trifold.

• Like 1

By the way, this whole our family does not do dishes thing is going well. I run the dishwasher every three-quarters of a day instead of once a day, and about once a week we've been hand washing the pots and pans. We both agree it saves time in the evenings and sets a better atmosphere. Still need a roomba (possible birthday from dad, if not tax return) and I think I'm going to stop folding underwear. I wonder if there's anything else I can not fold. I can't skip folding all together because of the vision issue. We do pick the best socks so everyone has several pairs of the exact same thing. I can stop doing socks.

The more things you hang the less you have to fold.

After the sheets are dry just put them back on the beds instead of folding the sheets.

You can also simply hang your usual towels -- the more you hand the less you fold and put away.  You can reuse bath towels if you bathe thoroughly and hang up the wet towel -- you're clean, after all, when you use the towel.  Less laundry!

Sleep naked!  No pajamas means less laundry and folding!   :D

• Like 4