Menu

Ignore this thread!

Yes, but I fixed them already! And I was supposed to keep my picky, picky hands off it until after November.

I did spend some time embellishing my long synopsis and then took a break to Baseball with the boys. 

Argh yet again!  Third time today I ran out of likes!

You are just going to have to Baseball and go outside until Nov. 1 rolls around.

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I've actually thought about writing when I'm up in the middle of the night, but I'm kind of afraid of what I would read in the morning.

All the more reason to do it!  Solve the mystery!

• Like 2

I hope the treatment isn’t too spendy. :(. I hate the thought of having to confront and threaten. She has a prescription and orders to make sure she wears it all day and an appt in 6 weeks. Hopefully it’ll have improved enough she doesn’t need an eyepatch.

Confront.  Complain.  That doc made a serious mistake, so they should be paying for this.

• Like 2

You know what, right after that, I was cleaning out my inbox, and came across an email from Twitter with moments of the week or some such (I don't even really use Twitter, but w/e), and there was some article about teens (in Michigan, so completely unrelated) dropping rocks (up to 20lbs) from an overpass, and killing the dad of a little kid when one of the rocks fell on his car (he was actually the passenger). Other rocks had hit cars too, but hadn't hurt anyone. The teens are charged with second degree murder, to be tried as adults. Anyway, that was really weird, reading that right after talking to my mom. On the one hand, so glad that all she got was a black eye (they hit her just above the eye), but otoh, what on earth is wrong with people?! and so sad for that guy's fiancée and their kid.

Btw, my mom did mention it to the neighbor police officer who was on duty, so he could keep an eye out. 

I'm glad she wasn't seriously hurt, because she really could have been.  And I'm glad she mentioned it to police.  Those kids need to be caught.

There's a case down here where a couple went driving around shooting guns towards houses in the middle of the night.  "What's the big deal?  We were just messing around, having a little fun."  They really thought that justified their behavior.  They were caught because they posted the videos on snapchat, and the videos showed their faces.

• Like 4

DD16 cooked the salmon tonight. She said she put the last of the A1 on it. No, she put the last of the KC Masterpiece Honey Teriyaki marinade on it. She wanted to stretch it with honey, but couldn't find any honey. I showed her -- it's in the tea cabinet, right where it always is.

It was tasty, though. We reheated some leftover rice and pulled out some bagged salad.

I'm trying to remember if I even cooked at all this week. I might not have; I've been busy.

I would have chose honey teriyaki marinade to begin with. ;) Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Hey Critter, did you get some more fall back, or do you just have winter now? We had a cool summer, and a warmer-than-normal fall thus far. We haven't had any frost yet, and they're not forecasting any until Nov 9th. I found a chart and the odds of 32F (or less) are 10% by the first date, 20% by the 2nd, etc, 90% by Nov 1st. So... we're already past the average, and the way they're forecasting things... (must be because I bought snowboots and snowshoes, and DW bought a shovel and ice melt the other day). 

https://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/index.php

Oct 5 Oct 10 Oct 13 Oct 16 Oct 19 Oct 22 Oct 24 Oct 28 Nov 1

All this talk of UTIs made me wonder if I'm weird. I don't recall ever having had one. Not that I want one! Apparently I'm not *that* weird... this says that 50% of women will have had one by the time they're 32. I'm 33:

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/infectious-disease/urinary-tract-infection/

As in, that means 50% hasn't had one. So, normal either way. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

I have a theory that so few of us have Disney memories because it's such a chaotic nightmare that we cope by blocking it out.   :laugh:

You know, there might be something to this.

I wonder what CM would say about LOF.

Every time you buy a curriculum a butterfly dies.
  • Like 2

I think that more of the people who write about CM should actually read those original CM books. She actually used textbooks for certain things. And she was about being modern in thought - she was big on evolution because it was the biggest and newest idea of the day. She wanted to be cutting edge and relevant. 

I agree. I didn't manage to make it through all of her writings though... too much... I don't recall what - I think maybe some sort of religious-ish musings or something. Oh, and the getting rid of anything that's broken or torn or w/e... super wasteful. That said, I don't write blogs or w/e about CM, nor do I claim to follow CM. 

I have a theory that so few of us have Disney memories because it's such a chaotic nightmare that we cope by blocking it out. :laugh:

Well, even if you subtract oldest DS's horrendous behavior brought in by anxiety, our trip this summer wasn't all that great. It was waaaay too hot and standing out in the heat like that, even with plenty of water can really sap your energy., so we were pretty wiped out most of the day. And there was a ton of people. The one night we were there late was just a nightmare of crowds and they had these shows all over the park and it was really dark and crowded and it was hard to see. And I just kept thinking, "if we got separated in all this.... what would we do? How would we find a kid if we lost him or her?"
  • Like 3

STEM wasn't really much of an option for many back then. We have Snap Circuits, Legos, all sorts of puzzles including 3D brain teasers. I still need to get his stethoscope, but it's going to be like $6, not $180. We have better options that she didn't account for, including Google.

I'm not sure that's really true. Back then kids played with STEM stuff, it just wasn't labeled STEM, and it wasn't toyified. But they had actual tools, and books on doing chemistry stuff (including stuff that's consider way too dangerous today), etc. 

Laugh until milk comes out your nose. 

We watched a minute physics video yesterday on how much milk you'd have to vomit in order to levitate. I'll post the answer in white, in case y'all want to guess: 5 gallons/second, iirc.

• Like 2

Susan - were you getting an X-ray today?

😂

I'm taking dd11 tomorrow after she finishes her morning lessons. Maybe also ds12 if he is still feeling nauseous.

We only have gnats. DW bought a fly swatter. The holes are way too big for gnats. She wrapped plastic wrap around it. It's still not working all that well. That said, I don't have gnats anywhere near as much as I hate flies.

I am pretty good at killing small flies with a tissue box.

Oh, shit. I still have to come up with halloween costumes.  :svengo:  :leaving:  :nopity:  :zombie: ?

Tape paper bats to clothes: Batman

Tape stars and dollar bills to clothes: Starbucks

I'm not entirely sure what a subjunctive is. Is that like subjunctivitis?

Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly! And use hand sanitizer!

• Like 5

I'm not sure that's really true. Back then kids played with STEM stuff, it just wasn't labeled STEM, and it wasn't toyified. But they had actual tools, and books on doing chemistry stuff (including stuff that's consider way too dangerous today), etc.

But because it wasn't toyified I believe it was less available. That's why I commented that John's a stethoscope is going to cost $6 not $180. If gathering things like that it's going to cost hundreds of dollars most parents are not going to do it. I could very easily be wrong, it was just a thought.

There is a demonstration/march/protest ultra-clash combo scheduled in ds22's university town on Saturday. Half the town's businesses are closing for the day and the university has cancelled all classes and activities, including the nation's largest high school band competition. I am pretty confident that ds will stay put but I worry anyway - there have been shootings at his off-campus apartment complex. Maybe I can convince him to come home for the weekend.

• Like 3

I agree. I didn't manage to make it through all of her writings though... too much... I don't recall what - I think maybe some sort of religious-ish musings or something. Oh, and the getting rid of anything that's broken or torn or w/e... super wasteful. That said, I don't write blogs or w/e about CM, nor do I claim to follow CM.

I don’t remember anything about getting rid of broken things. But it’s been awhile since I have read any of her books.

There is a demonstration/march/protest ultra-clash combo scheduled in ds22's university town on Saturday. Half the town's businesses are closing for the day and the university has cancelled all classes and activities, including the nation's largest high school band competition. I am pretty confident that ds will stay put but I worry anyway - there have been shootings at his off-campus apartment complex. Maybe I can convince him to come home for the weekend.

Hmmm, sounds like they aren't expecting it to be peaceful?

But because it wasn't toyified I believe it was less available. That's why I commented that John's a stethoscope is going to cost $6 not $180. If gathering things like that it's going to cost hundreds of dollars most parents are not going to do it. I could very easily be wrong, it was just a thought.

Well, yeah. You wouldn't get a stethoscope. But instead of buying snap circuits, you could just buy a bunch of electronics parts (well, not back when CM was around, since they didn't really have electronics back then (electricity, yes, electronics, no)). A lot of kids these days don't end up ever using an actual hammer, etc, kwim? So, they have the STEM toys, but they don't have experience with real life stuff. I mean, it depends... obviously a stethoscope is a stethoscope (unless it's a plastic toy that doesn't work, but yes, you can get working stethoscopes for cheap these days). But, I don't think it adds all that much. And then there is a mountain of STEM kits and toys that don't really aid understanding, that don't really have a real life purpose... there's plenty of mechanics etc to be learned in tinkering and trying to make stuff. So, anyway... I guess what I'm saying is that it's a mixed bag, and that while some STEM toys (and non-toys) are really cool and more available, and other things that are junk, and there were things that were common and affordable back then that most kids don't do much anymore.

• Like 2

I don’t remember anything about getting rid of broken things. But it’s been awhile since I have read any of her books.

Found it (vol 1 page 130) - I just really don't think that works with all kids irl... sure, some will learn to be careful... and some are just clumsy ADHD etc and can't help it:

https://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/vol1complete.html#124

Order Essential.––What has been said about cleanliness applies as much to order––order in the nursery, and orderly habits in the nurse. One thing under this head: the nursery should not be made the hospital for the disabled or worn-out furniture of the house; cracked cups, chipped plates, jugs and teapots with fractured spouts, should be banished. The children should be brought up to think that when once an article is made unsightly by soil or fracture it is spoiled, and must be replaced; and this rule will prove really economical, for when children and servants find that things no longer 'do,' after some careless injury, they learn to be careful. But, in any case, it is a real detriment to the children to grow up using imperfect and unsightly makeshifts.

• Like 2

Also, when I was reading CM, Celery was a toddler, and we were unemployed and broke, and most of his toys came from Goodwill, which fortunately was quite cheap where we lived at that time (the one here is more expensive). So, he got a $3 keyboard, that was in good working order... except for the turntable part (why on earth a toy keyboard (or any keyboard) needs a turntable is beyond me). But, based on CM, that would be a no-no. Like, if you're below the poverty line, that kind of stuff isn't just wasteful, but also financially unattainable. 

Btw, I agree with that first part, that you should not just put all your junk in the nursery... but, the stuff following that goes over the top.

Different time. A time when the upperclass (which is really who she was writing to) had servants and money for nice things. I was always more interested in the underlying principles and not in recreating the Victorian and Edwardian eras. The principle of giving children nice surroundings and materials is shared by Montessori ( a contemporary of Charlotte Mason) and also Waldorf education.

• Like 4

Good Morning!  It's Friday!

I ran out of likes a bit ago.  

(((Luuknam's Mom)))  That's terrible!  So glad it wasn't worse.

(((Susan)))  Hope ds will come home for the weekend.  ISIS in Tennessee???  What is the world coming to?

Different time. A time when the upperclass (which is really who she was writing to) had servants and money for nice things. I was always more interested in the underlying principles and not in recreating the Victorian and Edwardian eras. The principle of giving children nice surroundings and materials is shared by Montessori ( a contemporary of Charlotte Mason) and also Waldorf education.

Well said!  Also, I think it goes hand and hand with "children are born persons" which was not a widely accepted idea in the Victorian era, right?  I think we honor the personhood of children in lots of ways now that were not done then.  The overall principle of keeping things nice (modeling it, anyway) is a good idea.  Not that you'd know it by looking around my house right now, lol.  We're not neat freaks at all, but the kids all take their shoes off when they come in (I don't - I wear shoes all day long), I've never allowed jumping on the couches/furniture.  We do sometimes eat in "non-eating" rooms, and sometimes kids have to be reminded to take care of dishes afterwards.  Long story short, we have some good habits when it comes to caring about our house and things in it, and some not so great habits.  

• Like 2