Menu

Ignore this thread!

It is 8 months until Thanksgiving.  Just sayin'. 

Must experiment now, before the full heat of summer and while there is still enough time to alter and try again.  Mustn't leave such stuff to the month or two before the holiday, especially with NaNoWriMo in the works.

• Like 1

Dd18 fainted in her job shadowing thing today. Twice. The nurse was trying to find a vein for an IV and dd just quietly fell down behind her. Apparently the elderly patient couldn't speak and the nurse couldn't figure out why he kept pointing. :D

They had her sit down in the nurses station and then she found herself slumped down on the desk with a couple nurses trying to revive her. They got her some juice and water and after a while she felt better and continued the rounds with the RN. She said all the nurses were very nice and told her that they all fainted at some point. A guy at dh's work said his brother grew up fainting whenever he saw blood, and he is now a brain surgeon. So dd18 was not too discouraged. :)

There was an Aldi near the hospital so I got my grocery shopping done.

My intended Irish dinner has turned into a German dinner of baked sauerkraut and brats. Though I'll make some Irish soda bread from a mix I got at Aldi. ☘ At least I'm not wearing orange.

We are having a houseguest for about 10 days starting on Sunday. We met him once (dh's niece's "he's not my boyfriend") and invited him to stay here while he does some work in town. He's a nice guy. I am trying not to hyperventilate.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Was it the blood or something else?  For me it's not blood but the sight of needles or monitor wires in place -- metal where it shouldn't be.  I tell phlebotomists this, and they hide the needles but not the vials.  I'm so glad they are understanding!

My German/Irish grandparents would highly approve of your dinner for St. Pat's Day.

How's the houseguest?

• Like 1

:seeya:

(For Susan: Your JJM Morning Weather Report: The flood warning has been extended through Wednesday. :glare: Yesterday was beautiful and dry, as today is supposed to be. Then we will have continued wet and sh*tty for the forseeable future. This is starting to look like the first spring we had here [Ya know, when Manual Labor DH was still in CA. Yeah, that year when we DOUBLED the prior year rain record. By the end of April. :glare: ] There were two train derailments over the weekend caused by a mudslide and a washout. No haz mat stuff-thank goodness- but We are NOT amused. :glare: :glare: :glare:

This has concluded your JJM Morning Weather Report. Best Wishes on a Coping with a Houseguest Day!)

Yikes!!

(Houseguest has not emerged from his room. We are just carrying on with our day. No chance that he is sleeping late through the breakfast ruckus and ds12 practicing cello in the room right above him. :D )

• Like 3

And nature study in the South is really, really unpleasant in the summers. Unless you are studying caves.

Subterranean biology!  Geology!  hydrography!    Another good idea!

• Like 2

Does this sound genuine and not snarky?  (I am not intending it to be snarky but I do want to know what the councilwoman's desired outcome is of a meeting so that neither of us is disappointed or wastes our time.)

"Could you clarify what it is that you are looking for in a discussion?  I feel like I've been pretty clear in my positions and desires in my comments to the city council as well as my posts on ________.  Do you have questions about my views?  Do you want to discuss those views or give me your perspective on things?  I'm not against getting together for coffee, but it would help me to know what exactly you are hoping for in getting together. "

I like it.  It didn't read as snarky at all to me, just someone wishing to clarify the reason for the meeting.

• Like 3

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Renai is here with all her wisdom and I just ran outta likes. Figures.

I hear ya.  I'm not caught up yet (probably not even halfway there), and I'm out of likes.  *sigh*  #theangstisreal

• Like 3

I heard back from Ms. Councilwoman.  I'm glad that I asked for her agenda.  Apparently she wanted to educate me on some questions I had asked publicly about how our taxes work.  I'm glad that I have the answer in the form of a message because I like having information like that in a form that I can keep and refer to instead of madly trying to take notes if we were meeting over coffee.  That said, I have no idea why she had to make this a private thing (though apparently it is part of the public record) and didn't just post it on the neighborhood site where I asked the question and people are discussing the state of the city's finances. 

I see.  As this information can be beneficial to the citizenry in general the neighborhood site might be the better place for this, instead of a private, one-on-one discussion.

She might also be looking to score some engagement-with-concerned-individuals points by having a one-on-one with you.  I wouldn't necessarily go to have coffee if I thought she was only going to talk at me instead of with me.

• Like 1

ðŸŒ©âš¡ï¸ Wow - that was some thunder! The weather app has been promising a storm all day, and finally it's here! âš¡ï¸ðŸŒ©

I do like a good thunderstorm.  They are cathartic for me.  Not the hail or tornadoes or other damage, just the thunder, lightning, and general nature drama.

• Like 1

Good morning! I'm at work for a couple of hours. Cuddling with a baby!! Then I come back this afternoon for an hour or two for an event.

I might stop by Ross on my way home. I need jean shorts. I only have one pair and they're a size too big. I wear shorts to work once it's this warm.

Plus i need to pick up a present for dgd9. She broke both bones in her forearm yesterday.

Then i pick up dd friend who is spending the night.

Sometime before i come back to work this afternoon, 4 or 5 dgc are being dropped off to spend the night.

I need to do laundry and a few chores

Dh offered to grill for supper. Yay!!

I will crockpot beef broccoli today, for tomorrow.

Right now I think i will have my coffee while baby sleeps.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Your DGD certainly doesn't do half measures, does she?  I hope she heals quickly and well.

I cleaned all of the grease off of my stovetop!  

#ForTheFirstTimeInForever

#FrozenEarworm

#PrednisoneEnergy

#PrednisonePower

Good for you!  Now how about those grease screens from the hood overhead?

One of the teachers from my school showed her disgust at my daughters when Dancer said she was homeschooled. She asked about socialization. Asked my daughter at a public rally. Who was supporting public schools.  :glare:  Now, this teacher already knows I homeschool my daughters. She waited until I was gone to attack.  :cursing:  Dancer said that she told her, "Well, I live in the WORLD. I only do school at home." Quite snarky. The other teachers cracked up.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   BURN!  Great job, Dancer!

• Like 2

A friend of my mom's died Wednesday of cancer and it's kind of gotten me thinking about death. Not in a bad way, really. But just in a "we're all getting older, facing my own mortality" sort of way. My family has lived in the same town all our live, both my parents grew up in this area (town and church) and went to the same Christian high school I did and that DS will go to, and so I've known this woman all my life (as did my parents, she was in the same Bible Study group my mom was in that was started before I was even born, and these ladies still get together for breakfast monthly ), even though I wasn't particularly close to her, KWIM? It's just kind of a strange feeling, you think your life just kind of goes on and nothing really changes and then people who have just kind of been part of the fabric of your life die and then you realize that things aren't the way you think they are. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

The councilwoman and I are getting quite chummy.  I think she sees me as a bridge to the community.  I am all about working together and that is different from some of the people I know who are sharpening their pitchforks. 

Alrighty, then!  This is starting to sound promising.

• Like 1

I'm home from work. I need to write. I want to nap.

DH had a fight with the rooster this morning. I missed it. I gather from the boys that the rooster won.

:ohmy:

Any further details?  Or did you already post these?

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a scarecrow, I'm not sure I have 46 items to wear in my closet. No. I have 25, including my hunting vest, one down coat, my toga, and my shoes.

However, I have two paper-boxes full of notebooks and all of those are full of characterization information, and the boxes also live in my closet. :blush:

Priorities in storage space!

I have some clothes I need to clear out.  I'm changing sizes, so I'm trying to wear things as long as I can before I get rid of them.  As the summer heat comes on, though, some things will simply have to go.

DD15 culls her clothes on her own periodically, though she forgets to tell me when she only has a few things left that fit.  DD12, however, must be FORCED to let go of outgrown clothing and hand-me-downs she never gets around to wearing.  We need to do her closet soon.

• Like 1

Good morning.

Spring is in the air, and my nasal passages are revolting. But the wildflowers are pretty.

I need coffee and claritin. And I need to find a location to host a baby shower for my brother's girlfriend.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

It's an allergy-ridden almost-forgotten Booya!

Edited by lanalouwho
  • Like 7

Priorities in storage space!

I have some clothes I need to clear out. I'm changing sizes, so I'm trying to wear things as long as I can before I get rid of them. As the summer heat comes on, though, some things will simply have to go.

DD15 culls her clothes on her own periodically, though she forgets to tell me when she only has a few things left that fit. DD12, however, must be FORCED to let go of outgrown clothing and hand-me-downs she never gets around to wearing. We need to do her closet soon.

I do my closet and both the boys twice a year. Once in spring and once in fall. But I just finished the spring clean out, and now both boys are growing so I will probably have to do it again.

• Like 2

Why does the day refuse to start without me? The rooster crowed--so the sun can come up. The kitten rattled the doorknob, so the boys know when to get up. There is no reason I should have to crawl out of my warm bed and move...the day can go on without me! 

However, I am up.

Caffeine.

I woke with a headache and sinus congestion. I would love to wake up feeling good just once. Just one time.

My hands are so sore. They get so dry in the winter, like cracked and such. I woke in the night and had to slather lotion on them. And it burned like fire. Then it got better.

I feel like all I do is complain. I don't wanna. Can I have I redo on my life? Just the last 5 years? The only thing I would do differently is be a little more selfish. Not for my sake but for my family. I would refuse guardianship and power of attorney of others, and realize I don't have to save everyone.

Wow! I really got on a roll there.

Good morning! Coffee!

:party: yay! for acceptable and good tax returns! :party:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   For both of you.

• Like 2

I'm up, darn it.  And of course Silly Old Dog had to choose last night to get me up twice for potty breaks instead of just once.

Dd says that I complain a lot.  So I'm trying not to.  What she doesn't realize is how much I already bite my tongue and don't say anything. 

Complain here.  We will listen and sympathize, and you can vent.  That way you can keep biting your tongue around family.

• Like 4

Everyone thinks that I am a race official and keep asking me questions. This happens at other places too- like Lowes. Good thing I usually know the answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:laugh:

One time in the grocery store I was carefully considering my berry choices and one elderly lady started to ask me about how to tell where apples came from.  I told her either the stickers or the sign usually says, and proceeded to help her find USA-grown apples (out of season).  She remarked that I didn't seem to know my produce department very well and asked how long I had been working there, and I replied that I was a customer and not an employee.  She was very amused and apologetic about her mistake, which I appreciated.  She was also quite appreciative of the help, too.

• Like 6

Good morning. I have no donuts. I do have hot tea and fresh blueberry muffins. 

I intend to make the devilish eggs today, so I'll keep track of quantities if I can. It's another recipe that I make just by taste--plenty of salt and pepper in the hard-boiled yolks, lots of dijon mustard (best if whole grain), a little mayo, some white vinegar, a little Worcestershire sauce, and plenty of prepared horseradish sauce. Then I taste and see if it's right, and add whatever is needed. Dust with hot pepper of choice.

• Like 3

I am back from spring basking at the lake. While not quite as relaxing as the river, the lake offers some relaxing options not available at the riverside. Frogs. Lots and lots of singing frogs. And a million black butterflies drinking minerals at the muddy convergence of pollen green water and pine-needle strewn shore. How many times do you get to walk through whirlwinds of butterflies after all?

Time to make dinner, walk dogs and go look for magic mushrooms.

LIKE.

When my Dad first moved into his triplex apartment his building was the only building at that location other than a church and a school.  The triplex was surrounded on 2 1/2 sides by a cornfield full of frogs.  It was lovely.  Now all of the fields are full of apartment buildings, and his street, which used to be on the western edge of town, is now in the eastern third.

• Like 2

Never. Never, ever, thankfully. Ever.

Critter, some of what you write is just too scary for me.

Did I mention never, ever, ever, will I be walking through whirlwinds of butterflies?

Ever. Really.

We will scatter them for you and clear the way.

• Like 2

I've been locked out of WTM for awhile due to phone issues. But Dd did finish her half marathon. It was a hard one for her.

We're home from our post race Denny's celebration.

Hooray, Events Planner and Tech Support!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Yes. The lady I help. She is mentally disabled, epilepsy, COPD, etc. She was our neighbor, and before her husband died he asked my mom to care for her. Her children are basket cases, and I don't have anything nice to say about them. Imagine the worst people you have ever heard of. Then imagine worse. That is her children, a son in law, and a couple of grandchildren. I hate to say bad things about people, and talk about them. But her grandson was convicted of child molestation of a 12 year old, and that is not the worst part of it all. Anyways.... My mom was her guardian for years. Then mom's health gradually declined, and I gradually took on more and more responsibility for her until I was doing it all. Then I became her legal guardian.

Looking back, if I could do it over, I would have done things differently. I didn't want her to have to rely on her children though. Sometimes I wonder if I have done the best for her. I think I have. I have done what I have be able to do. That's more than you wanted to know. :D Jean summed it up better. ;)

Me too! :)

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I am just going to say Thank you for taking that on.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

It's going absolutely wonderfully! We started going to this teeny Baptist church. Everyone is so friendly. The pastor doesn't seem like a natural, practiced speaker, which just makes him seem more genuine. Dh stands around talking to him and others, which he has never done! I like that the teens go with the adults on Wednesday night for Bible study (where men and women split up, so dd is with me). And the pastor goes to great lengths to explain the history and traditions around his lessons.

So in essence, we love it!!

Eta: pastor's wife is from Korea, is an awesome cook, invites us over for dinner on non-church nights, AND homeschools!!!

I'm glad it's such a good fit.  Sounds like good community!

I think I'll finally get out of bed. I'm just lying here reading the boards. I'm going to the district tech office to see if they'll give me another charger for the computer. Then I need to go by two different medical offices to get all the records about Dancer's eye.

• Like 4

I'm so glad that I am not the only hider around here.

Oh, heck no.  I've been known to have "headaches" and send DH and the girls off to ILs' house so I could hide at home.  Not from anyone in particular (at least not always), but just from the mob in general.  Sometimes I'm just hiding from expectations, both real and perceived.

• Like 5

I do my closet and both the boys twice a year. Once in spring and once in fall. But I just finished the spring clean out, and now both boys are growing so I will probably have to do it again.

Yeah, sometimes I suspect that new clothing and closet clear-outs actually trigger the next growth spurt.

No idea. At this point I just want the skin to heal. I scraped my leg over a year ago. It still hasn't healed.

Have they checked for skin infection?  I had some wounds that just weren't healing or would heal for a bit and then open easily again.  My dermo PA swabbed them, and they called me later to say they found a staph infection.  Antibiotics cleared it up, and I'm healing a lot faster now.  I've been resigned for years that I'm simply a "slow healer", so I wonder how long I have had that infection.

Good morning. I have no donuts. I do have hot tea and fresh blueberry muffins. 

I intend to make the devilish eggs today, so I'll keep track of quantities if I can. It's another recipe that I make just by taste--plenty of salt and pepper in the hard-boiled yolks, lots of dijon mustard (best if whole grain), a little mayo, some white vinegar, a little Worcestershire sauce, and plenty of prepared horseradish sauce. Then I taste and see if it's right, and add whatever is needed. Dust with hot pepper of choice.

Sounds yummy!!!!

• Like 1

Both girls are finally up, showered, and fed, and having trouble with getting their brains to work.  DD12 just asked permission for them both to Just Dance before class time, but worried aloud about the late morning hour and the need to get on with school.  I simply told her to get their brains moving.

Really, today my plan is to review school and life in general to see where we are on various things and come up with a plan for this week and the next few weeks.  Allergy-brain is proving to be a LO-O-O-ONG season this spring, and orthodontist and other appointments are interrupting things more frequently than expected.  I have decided today is a review-and-replan day, and that is just fine.

And this gives me some opportunity to concentrate on a little more spring cleaning, too.  I might also decide that for the girls today needs a heavy PE/movement day, too.

And I just remembered they have music lessons this afternoon, too.

• Like 1

Did someone say blueberry muffins?

:drool5:

My favorite flavor!

I need to show the girls how to make muffin mix and use it to make whatever flavor of muffin they like.  To date I've been buying Betty Crocker mix (so I wouldn't have to think) and simply replacing the canned blueberries with frozen (berries we pick at the you-pick place in June and freeze to eat throughout the year).  I save the canned blueberries to use if I run out of other berries -- I'll double up and use two cans in muffins instead of one.

• Like 2

Good morning!

Let's not forget to watch Jeopardy tonight. I missed the show on the 17th.

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, there was/is a thread on the chat board. A WTMer was on Jeopardy Friday, and she won. :hurray:

Hooray for her!!!!

• Like 1

Okay, I'm all caught up.  The girls are Just Dancing, though DD15 is being cautious.  I suspect her balance is off from the much-needed Sudafed.

Time to wash up stuff in the kitchen, put away clean dishes so DD15 doesn't have to (stupid dishwasher placement requires interesting balance at times to put away clean dishes), and generally review where everything is at calendar- and progress-wise.

Have a good day, everyone!  

• Like 1

I like blueberry muffins!

Jeannie, I hope your skin heals up!

I haven't watched Jeopardy in years. When I lived with my Grandma, like 25 years ago when I was working on my teaching credential, we used to watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every night.

We also used to watch the Bob Ross painting show. I loved that show. "Let's put a happy little bush... Oh, right here!"

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6