• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Saying you'll be home by 3 means you're supposed to be home by 3. It doesn't mean it's supposed to be after 4 and I still can't get ahold of you. See, this is why he isn't allowed to go places. This is also why the excuse of we need to have cell phones so you can get ahold of me is invalid!

• Like 1

Dd and I did day 2 of our vow to do 15 min. of yardwork a day.  Of course we vow this every year and never last more than a week or two (if that) but hey, this year is going to be different, right? 

My yard is buried under a foot of snow.  No yardwork for me! :hurray:

• Like 1

Saying you'll be home by 3 means you're supposed to be home by 3. It doesn't mean it's supposed to be after 4 and I still can't get ahold of you. See, this is why he isn't allowed to go places. This is also why the excuse of we need to have cell phones so you can get ahold of me is invalid!

Two words:  Duct. Tape.

• Like 5

Ds, dd and I just finished our 15 min. of work in the Schoolroom of Doom.  Again, the second day on this resolution.  Again, a resolution we make every year that peters out quickly.  I don't think we've been able to have school in that room for six years at least.  Dd told me that she read on some organizing site that you are supposed to pile everything in the middle of the floor and then sort through it.  I looked at her and then at the room with stuff piled up everywhere (yes, it is like Hoarders) and she said, "Yeah, I know." 

Dd has been bringing the bunny down there on his leash.  Yesterday he got scared and for the first time ever, took a flying leap for her arms.  Only she wasn't expecting him, so she didn't catch him.  He's fine.  Fortunately, today nothing scared him. 

• Like 1

I am apparently not too smart.  I cannot figure out how to enroll my kid in a WTMA course.  Can someone help me?

Here is the one we want, BTW.  http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/classes/geometry-aops/ And it conflicts with his only other online course so I will have to petition to put him in one of the "almost full" other sections with a different teacher once I figure out how to enroll my kid in the WTMA online AoPS Geometry.

I can't figure out how to set up an account or how to enroll in a class.  Apparently, I need remedial help.

Edited by texasmama

I am apparently not too smart.  I cannot figure out how to enroll my kid in a WTMA course.  Can someone help me?

Here is the one we want, BTW.  http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/classes/geometry-aops/ And it conflicts with his only other online course (Landry Spanish) so I will have to petition Landry to put him in one of the "almost full" other sections with a different teacher once I figure out how to enroll my kid in the WTMA online AoPS Geometry.

I can't figure out how to set up an account or how to enroll in a class.  Apparently, I need remedial help.

Don't ask me.  I need remedial help, too.

During my first year of teaching high school English, I was supposed to help the kids use the internet to research topics.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I graduated from college without having used the internet.  Kindergarteners know more about the internet than I did (do?). 

• Like 1

Buttface is home. Apparently the thing ended at 4, not 2, and he forgot he told me he was going to be home by 3 until he looked at his phone in the car and saw that he had 5 missed calls. Then he said it won't happen again when he goes to Salem next month for an all day event. I then told him he wasn't going to Salem next month for an all day event. He said he'd already signed up and I guess my face spoke for me because he quickly said he would cancel, left the room and is now making dinner.

• Like 2

Isn't Heather the WTMA guru?  Is there a help page/ contact for the program?

Yes.  Hopefully Heather will come along soon and see that I am in need.  I thought that JJM took some WTMA classes, too, but I am fuzzy on that.  I cannot find the basic information on when enrollment begins.  That seems like a site issue, you know.  I've been all over the thing, and cannot find that info.

• Like 1

My dad claims they got rid of a bunch of employees so your risk is really low.  I depend on him, the MSN homepage and the Hive for information so take that for what is is.

I used to work for Head Start and couldn't believe how many people would get audited. These folks were poor.

• Like 1

Looking at 9th grade stuff for dd is depressing.  She's so different from how ds was. 

Dd16 is so different from every high school student I read on here. I'm back at the beginning with math. She asked if she can drop geometry and pass with the Basic College Math book (not Lial's) that I picked up from another homeschooler. I'm not expecting ground-shaking academics from her, but don't want to sell her short, either. What the heck can she graduate with???

Dd16 is so different from every high school student I read on here. I'm back at the beginning with math. She asked if she can drop geometry and pass with the Basic College Math book (not Lial's) that I picked up from another homeschooler. I'm not expecting ground-shaking academics from her, but don't want to sell her short, either. What the heck can she graduate with???

So can't you just tell her no? Passing with a low grade is better than just giving up IMO.

• Like 1

Make her look?

Oh I will.  But part of the problem is that I don't think she can do some of the curricula out there.  It's just not where she is yet in her reasoning skills.  She's a late bloomer.  She's definitely not at a rhetoric thinking level.  It's not that I don't think she will get there.  But not lock-step with the programs out there for high schoolers, I don't think. 

I think your dd and mine are pretty similar in a lot of things.  But dd just told me that she was thinking about medicine.  What?  :svengo:

• Like 2

So can't you just tell her no? Passing with a low grade is better than just giving up IMO.

She's flunked every test given. The homework she says she's getting mostly B's. She understands what she misses on tests, so she says. I haven't been really involved. But, I don't think she's even close to passing.

I think your dd and mine are pretty similar in a lot of things.  But dd just told me that she was thinking about medicine.  What?  :svengo:

Up until last year, she was going to be a professional dancer. Sometime, she decided paleobiology. She's now looking at law enforcement. [insert facepalm here, because I'm too bleh to find one right now]

• Like 2

Is she a bad test taker?

That's hard to answer, for some reason. She's allowed as much time as she needs. She takes a couple (she used to take 5-6) of tries to pass chemistry tests. Those are the only tests she takes. Oh, standardized tests always are low, but show progression. I don't know what to think.

Oh I will.  But part of the problem is that I don't think she can do some of the curricula out there.  It's just not where she is yet in her reasoning skills.  She's a late bloomer.  She's definitely not at a rhetoric thinking level.  It's not that I don't think she will get there.  But not lock-step with the programs out there for high schoolers, I don't think. 

I finally figured out she's a late bloomer. I don't know what that will mean for her, as she wants to do more than she may actually be capable. One of the main issues with the arts school was she felt they were holding her back (wanting to take chemistry, and them saying to take integrated science).

• Like 1

Does she have a solid grasp on Algebra?  If not, I would do what I could to get that, even if it means going back to the beginning.

She's gone through prealgebra 2 times (once at home, once at a charter). She then took another semester of prealgebra at the arts school before being put pushed through algebra the second semester. It was abysmal. She passed with a D. I had to hire a tutor the last quarter of school because her teacher sucked (no, really. I watched his youtube videos). The tutor felt she had a good grasp on things enough to do geometry this year.

The college math text goes to the beginning with factoring, percents, decimals, etc., with intro to algebra at the end, and dd has mentioned that the book would be helpful as she feels weak in many areas. I think I'm back to scrapping geometry and calling this year integrated math if we start the BCM book Monday.

• Like 1

You all are making me scared to homeschool high school. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It would be a lot better if I weren't working and had my whole attention on this as I should. With her learning challenges and distractibility, I really should be here. My plan was for her to take geometry and chemistry, and I was going to be home to relearn geometry, and learn chemistry, alongside her. With work and school, it didn't happen that way.

She has a drive to do well, but has had enough experiences to not feel so smart and want to give up. She's not at giving up point right now. She knows she needs a change to do well, and is looking at me to provide it for her.

It would be a lot better if I weren't working and had my whole attention on this as I should. With her learning challenges and distractibility, I really should be here. My plan was for her to take geometry and chemistry, and I was going to be home to relearn geometry, and learn chemistry, alongside her. With work and school, it didn't happen that way.

She has a drive to do well, but has had enough experiences to not feel so smart and want to give up. She's not at giving up point right now. She knows she needs a change to do well, and is looking at me to provide it for her.

I work, too. So I'm scared now!

That said, I'm sure you guys will figure it out. :grouphug:

• Like 1

I work, too. So I'm scared now!

That said, I'm sure you guys will figure it out. :grouphug:

A single mom friend of mine worked full time and homeschooled her son. It worked really well for them. We aren't them, so it's different. No fear, just recognizing when something isn't working and making the necessary changes. Whatever they turn out to be.

• Like 3

Buttface is home. Apparently the thing ended at 4, not 2, and he forgot he told me he was going to be home by 3 until he looked at his phone in the car and saw that he had 5 missed calls. Then he said it won't happen again when he goes to Salem next month for an all day event. I then told him he wasn't going to Salem next month for an all day event. He said he'd already signed up and I guess my face spoke for me because he quickly said he would cancel, left the room and is now making dinner.

Why isn't he going on the all day event? What type of event is it?

• Like 1

Why isn't he going on the all day event? What type of event is it?

Because he's been jumping at the opportunity to go somewhere every chance he gets, he's always late, and doesn't answer his phone when he's gone. The kids in particular miss him. It's a politics thing.

Cranky wife Booya.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

My boys would be okay without me at home, I think.

I do still print ds's work from Jann, but next year I will transition to him doing that.

High school so far has not been horrifying. In a year, one kid can take online dual credit classes.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

Because he's been jumping at the opportunity to go somewhere every chance he gets, he's always late, and doesn't answer his phone when he's gone. The kids in particular miss him. It's a politics thing.

Why?

I don't answer my phone when I'm at events, because usually the phone has to be turned off when attending. I have to remind dh of this every time I'm out, because he'll just call over and over and over again if I'm not answering. I have to keep telling him I'll call when I get breaks. Sometimes with him, I'm like - omg, you bug SO MUCH.

• Like 3

Why?

I don't answer my phone when I'm at events, because usually the phone has to be turned off when attending. I have to remind dh of this every time I'm out, because he'll just call over and over and over again if I'm not answering. I have to keep telling him I'll call when I get breaks. Sometimes with him, I'm like - omg, you bug SO MUCH.

He wants to be a full time volunteer for this campaign. I don't call him until he's late at which point he should answer his phone! Sometimes he's 3 or 4 hours late and doesn't call.

• Like 2