• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I slept terrible last night. My throat was so sore along with my ears hurting. I have been taking

NyQuil but it just won't work. I finally decided it was time to go the doctor's office. After being sick

for a week and a half, I found out I have bronchitis. :thumbdown:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I did this with three kids.  My dh ran a small business out of our home, but he is not the stay at home dad type so I gave him a bit of school to do with the kids and split the child care and the schooling between my dad, a friend, and a paid caregiver, with me doing some schooling when I got home.  I flexed my hours, working 7 am - 3 pm.  Dh was only responsible for dropping the kids at my dad's house two days a week and being with them Fridays from noon until I got home at 3:30.  The rest of the childcare was covered by my dad, the friend who took them to co op and the paid caregiver who came to our house two days a week.

I want my freaking medal now because that was hard.  Then I moved to part-time and worked two ten hour days in a row.  With travel I was gone 11 hours a day.

I think I probably left a piece of my heart behind during that time period.

My dh is also not much for a sahd type. He really needs to be out working. Can't with the hand right now, though. He gets depressed if he's out too long.

School year of spring 2013 and then 2014-15 I was working full time as a teacher, the youngest was at a in-home childcare, and the oldest was at a charter. The oldest became a heathen (ok, not really, but...close), the youngest developed anxiety that only got increasingly worse and started acting out a lot, and the house was almost like the Nauglers but only inside and less dirt (mostly clutter).

This year I've been home, the youngest has settled down, I wasn't too exhausted to listen to my teen talk when she got out of school (a different charter), and I started moving out the clutter while working as an independent contractor and in school. I found that the youngest really needs a firmer hand, a stricter diet (very little if any sugar), food with protein every two hours, and at least 2 hours a day outside. I've been gone 1.5 weeks working and she's already regressed. thankfully, no anxiety. Well, except for a little while ago I went outside to water the garden, and when she didn't see me, was walking around the house calling me and crying.

The fact of the matter is, I need to be home. I get great opportunities, but every time I work them I wind up regretting it. I don't know why we can't be one of those families that make work and school/homeschool work.

• Like 1

Does anyone here work full-time day hours AND homeschool, without a really supportive partner with flex hours? With more than one kid? I can't think of anyone. I would be floored. I WOH but my partner is involved and my kids are in public school and we just do curricular enhancement after school. 

I had a single mom friend who homeschooled all the way through while working as a preschool teacher full-time. I think she had some help with her mom, but as her kid got older, he spent most of the day alone.

Does anyone here work full-time day hours AND homeschool, without a really supportive partner with flex hours? With more than one kid? I can't think of anyone. I would be floored. I WOH but my partner is involved and my kids are in public school and we just do curricular enhancement after school. 

Just one kid here and a DH who works 2nd shift and doesn't care about toys on the floor or dust on stuff.  He sees right past soap scum in the bathroom during really bad weeks (no really, he just doesn't SEE it LOL). 

My DH also does all of the grocery shopping and his own laundry.

Were any of these factors different I don't think I could work FT and homeschool.  Except maybe DH could clean the tub once in a while.  That would be nice.

• Like 2

Slache has VERY IMPORTANT things to do tonight, Ladies and Gentlemen, so she will be stepping out for a few moments.

Meanwhile, Booyah will be spelled with an "h". And she will deal with it.

We aren't trying for a baby tonight!

No h.

The fact of the matter is, I need to be home. I get great opportunities, but every time I work them I wind up regretting it. I don't know why we can't be one of those families that make work and school/homeschool work.

Um, because you're not one of those other families.  You are your family, and what matters is you do what is best for YOU.  So quit beating yourself up over it. 

• Like 2

Um, because you're not one of those other families.  You are your family, and what matters is you do what is best for YOU.  So quit beating yourself up over it. 

But, we're also one of those families teetering on the poverty limit that has debt to pay off. So, God is really going to have to work something out if he wants me home and us debt-free.

I've actually always worked, a lot from home. I had good gigs tutoring (evenings and weekends so dh was home), was even an area coordinator for a company, before the state got the title I waiver. I've worked customer service from home, online tutoring, test scoring (still do this), and this past year co-authored a curriculum. We can pray the curriculum takes off and I get enough royalties to pay off debt. :D

• Like 1

But, we're also one of those families teetering on the poverty limit that has debt to pay off. So, God is really going to have to work something out if he wants me home and us debt-free.

I've actually always worked, a lot from home. I had good gigs tutoring (evenings and weekends so dh was home), was even an area coordinator for a company, before the state got the title I waiver. I've worked customer service from home, online tutoring, test scoring (still do this), and this past year co-authored a curriculum. We can pray the curriculum takes off and I get enough royalties to pay off debt. :D

Debt. I hear ya.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

My dh is also not much for a sahd type. He really needs to be out working. Can't with the hand right now, though. He gets depressed if he's out too long.

School year of spring 2013 and then 2014-15 I was working full time as a teacher, the youngest was at a in-home childcare, and the oldest was at a charter. The oldest became a heathen (ok, not really, but...close), the youngest developed anxiety that only got increasingly worse and started acting out a lot, and the house was almost like the Nauglers but only inside and less dirt (mostly clutter).

This year I've been home, the youngest has settled down, I wasn't too exhausted to listen to my teen talk when she got out of school (a different charter), and I started moving out the clutter while working as an independent contractor and in school. I found that the youngest really needs a firmer hand, a stricter diet (very little if any sugar), food with protein every two hours, and at least 2 hours a day outside. I've been gone 1.5 weeks working and she's already regressed. thankfully, no anxiety. Well, except for a little while ago I went outside to water the garden, and when she didn't see me, was walking around the house calling me and crying.

I did okay with very part time work. The kids were ok, too. While I was working full time, little dd (who turned 6 four days before I started the job) formed an attachment to her brothers and not me. She cried if she was with just me. She wanted her brothers. It was really hard.
  • Like 2

Uh yeah, I do, Single mom, no partner, work fulltime, during the day, yeah I do split shift 3 days of the week this year, next year I will be doing fulltime, all day every day, and homeschool all 4 of my kids.  So yeah it can be done, nothing quite to the level I would like, but something has to give, I can only drink so much coffee in the day to keep going.  It is nearly 10pm here, I took morning shift off this morning and we did school work in the morning, I left my house at 1230 to go to work.  I worked from 1-6, my kids all went to another family's house to do a 4H project meeting during that time.  I went and had dinner with them at that house eating the perogies they made at 4H, then we all drove to another house to do a 2nd 4H project meeting tonight (we were 2 meetings behind and have achievement day next week so had to finish them).  Just got home, Now going through the motions getting kids ready for bed, then need to alternate between doing dishes, laundry and studying (because in addition to it all I am also taking college classes).  There is absolute downsides to how much I do right now, but in my case it is either work fulltime and support my family or stay home fulltime and go on welfare.  I prefer to earn my own.  Public school really isn't an option at this time, so we do the best we can do.  ANd no things are not always as clean as they used to be, or as organized, and we do less school per day but do it over more days than we used to, and the list goes on.  

• Like 5

Well, it happened. I was discussing small groups with one of the other summer school teachers and the principal was there. She turned and asked me, "So are you looking for a job this upcoming year?" I just said I'm still in school, will hopefully be done by November unless I decide to do the dual concentration which would be 6 more months. But, I'm tired of school. So, we started talking about school and being life-long learners, and sometimes just testing for the endorsement instead of taking even more classes. Then she told me to just let her know. I happen to know there is a prek teacher that left (I know her), and a kindergarten teacher said she wasn't going back. I'm currently teaching the kindergarten summer school kinder class. She likes what she hears coming out of my mouth. They believe in phonics and conceptual math (Singapore even! so I told her about MEP). But they do sheltered English instead of bilingual. I don't like that.

See, I knew it would happen. I need an at-home job. I can't afford to turn stuff down with no eggs in my basket. And as amazing as some of you are, I cannot multitask efficiently enough to work full-time day hours and homeschool and keep up with the house. Or, even just have the full-time job and keep up with the house. It never works. I have btdt many times and failed each time. My house falls apart. My children go crazy. It just. doesn't. work.

I hope you find an at home job soon.  I am sure the perfect fit will come along.

• Like 2

I did okay with very part time work. The kids were ok, too. While I was working full time, little dd (who turned 6 four days before I started the job) formed an attachment to her brothers and not me. She cried if she was with just me. She wanted her brothers. It was really hard.

I am looking for part time, which is hard. I can always fill in with tutoring and other things. I always have something up my sleeve.  :lol:  Just that stable, part time opportunity is alluding me...

I bet that was hard with your dd. I knew I was missing out while older dd was at the dual language charter school for 7th grade. There were things going on that I was not privy to, and when I thought I knew what was what, found out I didn't know half of what I thought. I still feel bad about not pulling her out of school in the middle of the year. I really could have made it work even though I was teaching full time. Dh was having that problem where youngest dd wanted to just be with me and was hurt about it (she'd also cry when with him, even though both of us worked). Now, he's with her all day and, well, like I said he ain't the sahd type.

When I was working she (younger) developed anxiety so severe she was waking up in the middle of the night with nightmares. She started sleepwalking again, looking for me. Thankfully, she sleeps in our bed, so she never got far. She was becoming extremely clingy, at the age where there is usually more of a healthy separation. She started wanting me to go to the bathroom with her and stay there while she used it. This continued for months. She's gotten a lot better, but she has unequivocally stated she does not want to go to school. 

Dang. Now, I feel like I've traumatized my children.  :crying:

• Like 1

Christina, glad you went to the dr.  Hope you're feeling better.  :grouphug:

Renai, praying for you and the right job situation to come along!  I tend to make the mistake that just because an opportunity presents itself, it was meant to be, lol.  You are much wiser!  (Btw, if you taught a prek or k class at a school, could youngest dd be in your class?)

Texasmama, thinking of you and Nan today.  

Howdy and hugs to everyone else.  I was gone all day yesterday and will be again most of today.   

• Like 1

I am looking for part time, which is hard. I can always fill in with tutoring and other things. I always have something up my sleeve.  :lol:  Just that stable, part time opportunity is alluding me...

I bet that was hard with your dd. I knew I was missing out while older dd was at the dual language charter school for 7th grade. There were things going on that I was not privy to, and when I thought I knew what was what, found out I didn't know half of what I thought. I still feel bad about not pulling her out of school in the middle of the year. I really could have made it work even though I was teaching full time. Dh was having that problem where youngest dd wanted to just be with me and was hurt about it (she'd also cry when with him, even though both of us worked). Now, he's with her all day and, well, like I said he ain't the sahd type.

When I was working she (younger) developed anxiety so severe she was waking up in the middle of the night with nightmares. She started sleepwalking again, looking for me. Thankfully, she sleeps in our bed, so she never got far. She was becoming extremely clingy, at the age where there is usually more of a healthy separation. She started wanting me to go to the bathroom with her and stay there while she used it. This continued for months. She's gotten a lot better, but she has unequivocally stated she does not want to go to school. 

Dang. Now, I feel like I've traumatized my children.  :crying:

Mama, many moms work and their kids do not develop anxiety.  Your dd was evidently pre-programmed genetically/neurologically to react with anxiety.  Some kids go through periods of separation anxiety that wax and wane, and this can be perfectly within the norm.  Four is a hard age to be, and it is a hard age to parent.  All you can do it meet the needs of the child in front of you at the stage she is at.  You did not cause this.  (((hugs)))

My dd is perfectly fine now, by the way, not anxious at all.

• Like 6

Mama, many moms work and their kids do not develop anxiety.  Your dd was evidently pre-programmed genetically/neurologically to react with anxiety.  Some kids go through periods of separation anxiety that wax and wane, and this can be perfectly within the norm.  Four is a hard age to be, and it is a hard age to parent.  All you can do it meet the needs of the child in front of you at the stage she is at.  You did not cause this.  (((hugs)))

My dd is perfectly fine now, by the way, not anxious at all.

Exactly! It took my ds11 2 years to adjust to me working out of the home.  For us I didn't have a choice any longer so he had to learn to make do, but it is not ideal.  You have not traumatized your children, you tried working, you recognized there was a concern that was not improving, you made changes to address the concern.  That is good parenting!  

• Like 2

Does anyone know how to block someone from seeing your posts on FB?  I do not want SIL to see any of my posts.

#crazyinlaws

#oneinchfromdone

I have mine set that my teens and exdh can not see my posts.  It is in the restrictions section of the privacy menu I believe, I can also set it individually for each post by clicking that little settings wheel under the post I am making.  I do not have my fb open right now to give better instructions and running out the door late for work so I can't help much right now.

• Like 2

I said a lot of bad words yesterday

#crazyinlaws

That's every visit with my mil.

Based on stories of my fil, if he were still alive, I have no doubt that the bad words would compound exponentially. 

Speaking of crazy in laws, my aunt is freaking psycho right now.

My grandfather recently passed and she is in the process of completely ignoring his wishes and doing one grand spectacle of a memorial service. However, he was cremated, so the memorial service is a month after his passing!!! She says that "this is important to her, so we all need to just be quiet and respect her wishes." Pretty sure the wishes of the dead should be respected first, but what do I know? 

Grandpa died in my parents town (he was living with them under hospice care) and the crematory was in their town as well. The aunt continues to call my parents to make sure they "bring all of him" when they come to the memorial service. She has known my mom (her sil) for 41 years and she still thinks my mom is going to keep ashes for herself?? This aunt is off her rocker. 

Dear crazy aunt later called my dad to see if he wanted to speak at the service.

Then, she told him he could have a 10minute or 15 minute slot. Which would he like? Oh, and please type out what you're going to say so I can approve what you're going to talk about and make sure it's grammatically correct. 

Dad was PISSED. He said forget it. I'll share my memories with my own family and call it good. 

I think he's going to sing one of Grandpa's favorite hymns. 

She had power of attorney during his last days and is continuing to say crap like "I'm the POA, so whatever I decide goes." When Grandpa passed, my mom was texting me and my sister to let us know. (We had requested a text as we knew it would be hard for mom to tell us over the phone.) Anyway, my aunt pipes up and says "I certainly hope you're not telling anyone about his passing. As "POA" that is my job."

I REALLY want to tell her that she has the initials wrong. I want to tell her that it should be PIA (pain in A$$!), but my mom said I can't. 

I guess she is proving the idea that those who do less during a person's life overcompensate at their death. 

Whew. I guess I need to vent all that. (And "all that" is only the tip of the iceberg, really.)

• Like 4

Does anyone know how to block someone from seeing your posts on FB?  I do not want SIL to see any of my posts.

#crazyinlaws

#oneinchfromdone

When you are writing a status, you can choose a pulldown menu that says Friends, Public, or Custom. You can add in who you DONT want to see it. It will stay that setting until you manually change it. 

• Like 1

When you are writing a status, you can choose a pulldown menu that says Friends, Public, or Custom. You can add in who you DONT want to see it. It will stay that setting until you manually change it. 

I know how to do this, but I don't want to have to remember to exclude her every time so I just want to have her never see anything.

ETA:  So if I exclude her from one status, it will exclude her from all future statuses?  I will try this.  I'm tired of her using FB to spy on my life and pass judgment.

• Like 1

I know how to do this, but I don't want to have to remember to exclude her every time so I just want to have her never see anything.

ETA:  So if I exclude her from one status, it will exclude her from all future statuses?  I will try this.  I'm tired of her using FB to spy on my life and pass judgment.

I blocked someone from seeing my status updates and it continued blocking until I unblocked. However, this was a year ago. Who knows how FB has changed since then. If I remember correctly, I went back and double checked my statuses for awhile. It should always say "custom". As long as it says custom, the blocked person will not be able to see your statuses.

My dh and I have done everything for a very long time.  We are still doing everything.  He planned his grandfather's entire funeral service.  He and I have taken care of his grandmother and her financial and legal and medical affairs for about 5 years now.  Everyone else hit the road, Jack.  We don't mind the responsibility.  What we mind is the people who give no help feeling free to second guess or give opinions.  Nope, not gonna happen.  Since I'm the one changing the diapers, you can sit down and shut up.  

My parents did everything for Grandpa for a long time, until he decided to move to reunite with my Grandmother. Not a problem. He was a grown man. He could do what he wanted. However, this brought him closer to my aunt. She's been near him for MAYBE a year. But, he was living on his own, so she didn't do that much for him. Until that point, in the 15 years he was living near or with my parents, she only visited 3 times. She is, for all intents and purposes, the person who never helped, but gives her opinion and questioned everything they did for my Grandpa. 

The siblings agreed to certain jobs. She took on the job of the memorial service. That's fine. It was agreed upon. However, her actions in regards to it (and pretty much anything dealing with Grandpa) are effectively pushing my dad and family away. I'm at the point that if I never see her again, I'd be perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

Have I seriously never told you??  <face palm>  

Rebecca; and you will be happy to know it is not spelled with an "h".     :coolgleamA:

That's one of my best friends names. True story:

She married an East Indian and people are always asking him to pronounce their last name. When you repeat *exactly* what he says he responds with "no" and says it louder, which does not help. I asked her in private how to pronounce it and she laughed and whispered "I have no idea." This woman has been married for like 8 years and has no idea what her last name is!

• Like 4

She married an East Indian and people are always asking him to pronounce their last name. When you repeat *exactly* what he says he responds with "no" and says it louder, which does not help. I asked her in private how to pronounce it and she laughed and whispered "I have no idea." This woman has been married for like 8 years and has no idea what her last name is!

:lol:

• Like 1

I married a Southerner.  

I had to correct his pronunciation of his last name. 

:D

• Like 6