Menu

Accounting. Help me.

mommymonster

My DC decided to start a business. And oddly enough, they have been crazy successful. It's only a month in, but they have made a surprising amount. Unfortunately, I just don't know how to do accounting--in fact, I'm a bit phobic about it.  The DC *really* don't know how to do accounting. Can anyone point me in a good direction? This is a online selling business, if that makes a difference (like etsy/ebay). I have Quick Books Simple Start for my services business, but don't know the basics for selling stuff.

If this is going to be a real business for them, I would strongly advise you to make an appointment with a CPA who specializes in small business, so you will know exactly what you need to do. An initial consultation might be free or it could cost a bit of money, but it will be well worth it.

• Like 2

That's one of my problems -- I can't tell if this will be a real business quite yet. The boys are 9 and almost-6, and they are passionate about what they sell. That being said, well, they are 9 and almost-6. I'm just looking for a book or software program to get us going. If they keep it up for a few months, I'll have them talk to my accountant. They are making a few hundred dollars a month, so it's real, but not a ton.

Check out Quickbooks - they have several different levels and one may suit for a small start up business.    When I first took over the bookkeeping for hubby's business, they were using Peachtree.  Hated, hated, hated it.  Did books on paper for a year, then discovered Quickbooks.  Easy to learn and easy to set up. 

• Like 2

Check out Quickbooks - they have several different levels and one may suit for a small start up business.    When I first took over the bookkeeping for hubby's business, they were using Peachtree.  Hated, hated, hated it.  Did books on paper for a year, then discovered Quickbooks.  Easy to learn and easy to set up. 

Couldn't agree more.  I'm another hater of Peachtree!

Congrats!

What are they selling? Can we support them?

My DS designed an app at 9, and got it into the Apple Store. He hasn't made a ton of money - it's a free app - but enough to know that he can have a vision and make it happen. :) I would love to support your kiddos in their endeavor, the way my guy's been supported!

• Like 2

SereneHome, We have done both!  :001_smile: I'm technically the business owner, but DC do all the work and make the decisions that are appropriate for them (what to buy, how much to sell it for, writing descriptions, etc). I am on the business side of things, including accounting (sigh), driving and spelling. 

• Like 2

FWIW, I've been freelancing for about 8 years now, and just keep my books in Excel.

I have one section for expenses, just the date, what it was, who I got it from, and how much.

And another for the income, just the date, what I did, who paid me, and how much.

I save receipts all month, and when the bank statement comes, I check my spreadsheet, balance the checkbook, and staple all of the receipts to the bank statement.

I couldn't afford a CPA  or specialized software at all when I started.

When I was seeing a CPA for an unrelated tax matter, I told her my method, and she said that it was absolutely fine for a small sole proprietor to do it that way. 

June Walker has a great blog called "The Confident Indie " with a lot of good articles.  She also has some good e-books.

• Like 2