Menu

Looking for clothes to do hard work outside in that don't look like men's

momee

What do you wear when REALLY working in the garden?

Not just watering a deck plant, I mean working - on a tractor - on your knees in the garden- in the woods with a saw blade trimmer- etc.

Seriously, from head to toe, what have you found that 

1) lasts - not cheaply made

2) provides protection - from bugs, sun, and poison ivy, etc.

3) can be worn in the southern humid heat 

And since I'm dreaming here, I'd love to still look like a woman, lol.

I have some knockoff men's Carthartt pants and a set of men's overalls I got from the local tractor supply

HOWEVER

I am so embarrassed to actually wear them off the property because I look like a workman, lol.  I also sweat profusely in both of them because they're sooooooooooooo thick!  That and muck boots could be a Halloween costume~

Jeans are ok but don't seem to be flexible enough, especially at the waist...they aren't comfy to squat in for long periods of time.

I do some heavy duty steward work in forests and prarires and have always found things at: Bass Pro, Gander Mountain LL Bean, Rural King, Tractor Supply, and Farm and Fleet. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I have no prob. doing a bunch of honeysuckle removal for three hours and then driving into town to hit Starbucks!

Edited:  So I thought I'd add in a typical outfit for ~ 60 degree weather, spring/fall around here from my workbag.

Higher ankle hiking boots, I have North Face right now, from Bass Pro. My shoelaces are teal with pink teal and brown colors,  and they are supercute.

Thick wool blend socks, those were prob from costco

Pretty heavy duty jeans, this pair has double thickness knees I'm looking at. if it were colder out, I'd throw work overalls over this, but they'd come off and go in the trunk when I left the site. 99% I am wearing some form of denim of various thickness. This pair I'm looking at now is from LL bean but I don't know the style name. I hack down trees and crawl around in grasses and praries and thorns in jeans.

Top is all built up layers. So for this temp, I'd probably have on thin T-shirt or long sleeve T. Old Navy polar fleece zip up ( I actually like my Columbia one better, but it's thicker) Columbia sleeveless vest over this. Sometimes I have a Carhart sleeveless thing on over instead if I need that tougher material. Mine is rusty redish color. 

My work gloves are pink :laugh: and some random brand from Tractor supply. Oh it says "Schmidt" on them.

And always, I have my T3 Tilly on.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

What do you wear when REALLY working in the garden?

Not just watering a deck plant, I mean working - on a tractor - on your knees in the garden- in the woods with a saw blade trimmer- etc.

Seriously, from head to toe, what have you found that 

1) lasts - not cheaply made

2) provides protection - from bugs, sun, and poison ivy, etc.

3) can be worn in the southern humid heat 

And since I'm dreaming here, I'd love to still look like a woman, lol.

I have some knockoff men's Carthartt pants and a set of men's overalls I got from the local tractor supply

HOWEVER

I am so embarrassed to actually wear them off the property because I look like a workman, lol.  I also sweat profusely in both of them because they're sooooooooooooo thick!  That and muck boots could be a Halloween costume~

Jeans are ok but don't seem to be flexible enough, especially at the waist...they aren't comfy to squat in for long periods of time.

Honestly, it wouldn't matter what I wore doing work like that.  I'd be filthy and sweaty, so I wouldn't be leaving the property without a shower and change anyhow.

But I do like a workman's jumpsuit.  Airy underneath, yet I'm covered and protected.  I also just hang it between uses, until it gets horrible nasty (I wear light clothes underneath, those get washed).

• Like 3

Check out Duluth trading. My dh orders work clothes from them and they have really held up well. They have a ladies line that is cute and seems practical for what your looking for.

Duluth's pants have held up remarkably well for my handyman husband, even the knees hold up! 

• Like 2

Gander Mountain looks awesome~

I thought they only had hunting stuff.

Found these...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Guide-Series-Womens-Essential-Cargo-Pant&i=784315

are they like what you would wear?

I always always have on long pants, so during summer a lighter weight breathable thing like that would be comfy if I am not doing any thorn stuff. Really look at the outdoor clothing places because they have some gorgeous stuff that is still comfy and attractive. Even the Typical hunting type clothing has the duriblity but is available in nicer looking things.

ETA again I guess I like outdoor work fashion, who knew--  YOu have to find a good sort of kakhi type pant so it's not picking up grass stains. I do mostly wear a denim of various colors, but there's  a lady whos site steward that will wear a breathable kahaki that sort of a fishing pant thing and then will wear these canvas chap type things over that if she has to do heavier duty stuff. By the time it's summer though, it's a lot of work you don't need this giant, thick barrier.

And again, other than gross sweat smell, ( that's what body spashes are for, you wait until after you're done so you aren't attractive to bugs, pull off all your work glove/outer layer stuff, and squirt a few times. I find the citriusy smells counter that gross work smell best for myself), we meet at chain type restaurants, etc. run to Target, kids birthday party, barbque  etc., obviously I'd probably go home, shower and change if I were doing something fancier, attending a fancier party, or for the rest of the day!

• Like 1

Blackjack - if I ran into you with that T3 Tilly on, I would just stare and keep staring.  In a good way.

That type dress is so foreign from my surf days living beachside I don't even know what to say.  I used to wear a bathing suit bikini most of the day, then move to my white high top tennis shoes and scrunched socks with this as a cover up, lol.  

http://www.territoryahead.com/item/144566/601703802/Nueva-Baja-Pullover?kpid=144566+MULT+S&kpid=144566%20MULT%20S&gclid=CLaIx4DHpcQCFYQ2gQodl0UAmg

Now I'm grown up, much! more modest and living hours and hours from a beach.  But the woods, there is some magical about them~!

I'm impressed.  That's what I'll say.  I'd love to hang out with you on one of those adventures, sounds awesome.  I'm just cutting a walking trail, digging some flower beds and veggie beds but it is glorious to me!  Can't wait for summer!!!

Thanks for taking the time to respond, everyone.  All of the replies were helpful~

I have the raspberry insulated overalls and jackets that are similar to the pink ones linked above.  They are worn all winter for doing chores.

I would head to a farm store and look around.  A good pair of jeans (Ok, mine come from the $2 thrift store) paired with a pink or purple or floral type flannel shirt or t- shirt, etc. would work.  I have Justin boots for summer but have those bulky muck boots for winter.  They do have bog boots in nice prints and colors as well as muck brand has some pink ladies boots that should hold up well.

Well, I don't have the perfect answer.  but I will tell you what my great-grandmother wore when she was working on pruning her 150 azaleas in the humid charleston, sc heat (and she was a strict skirts-only lady): 

a long-sleeved cotton or linen shirt

khaki 'culottes' and

shoes my father described as "like bowling shoes" 

My neighbor, a traditional mennonite, does *her* outdoor work in a seersucker dress and old clonky tennis shoes.  And she seems so cool and still feminine. 

I am still trying to figure out what works for me! I do think bottoms made of some sort of khaki-cotton and a nice sturdy linen shirt is a good combo.  

• Like 1

I just dress like a man  :ph34r: It's cheaper that way.  I love the looks of the stuff from Duluth, but $40 or $50 bucks for a shirt?  That I'll probably rip on barbed wire?  In my defense, I'm not only gardening, I'm milking cows, fixing fence, branding, moving cows, etc.  We are hard on clothes.  I don't own any khaki pants, though some of them look comfy.  I wear jeans all the time, some are womens jeans, some are men's wranglers or carhartts (the men's jeans are usually cheaper).  In the winter I wear flannel western shirts with a long sleeved tee or thermal shirt underneath.  In the summer I usually wear long-sleeved, light-weight western shirts, but I will wear t-shirts if I'm not fencing or dealing with pokey plants.  In the winter I wear insulated bogs (muck boots) or work boots (Ariat brand).  In the summer I wear the same work boots, irrigating boots, or a cheap pair of sneakers (for gardening).  Most of my clothes I've either had forever, bought off the clearance rack at the farm supply store, or found at the thrift store.  I do own some women's shirts, but it has gotten harder to find ones that I like and are long enough to actually tuck in...women's western shirts have gotten shorter and more covered in "bling" lately...not sure what's up with that.  

Wow, looking at what I wrote, I'm feeling rather unfeminine right now  :huh:

• Like 2

I wear denim overalls from Abercrombie and Fitch with tops that are cute but turned out to be too tight on my stomach. The bib covers the unsightly parts. :)

I have a pair of wellies that are tall with a zipper in the back. They're nice looking and not bulky like worker dude boots. They're similar to Hunter boots.

I just bought another pair of overalls today, they're on sale for $30. Gardening is so much easier in overalls. I feel good in my gardening clothes, everything is practical but girly. And it's great that I get a chance to wear all the tops that I'll probably never look fit enough to wear on their own. 

• Like 1

I hate wearing stiff, tight, pinchy jeans in the heat, ugh. Most women's jeans that are truly comfy, are imho uglier than sweats, so I don't see the point of them.

Work clothes for me would be: cheap sweatpants or old yoga type pants or other soft pants, or old soft athletic type shorts, and a tank or woman's tee or even a (modest) swimsuit top, and a hat with a rim to keep sun off my shoulders. Clogs or old flip flops or old sneakers. Maybe my mud boots if it was cooler and/or very mucky. Bug spray and sunscreen!

I hate being hot and sweaty. As i said, I think most women's jeans (that dont look like my great aunt might own them) are about the least comfortable thing ever so i rarely wear jeans for working in... Jeans are actually something i wear with nicer tops, when I'm deliberately trying to look nice ;). I also understand not wanting to look like a guy, with big oversized shirts and cargo pants or jumpsuits. But I also may not be doing quite the same work you are talking about (my stuff is more like hosing off the driveway, washing cars, playing in the mud with the kids, maybe cleaning the chicken pen at the worst, or dealing with leaf debris or compost stuff; sometimes you just have to wear the clothes that get you through a tough, dirty job! :D

• Like 1

Gosh, I would say that Carhartt pants look really great on a woman and I've heard there's nothing like a girl in jeans and a plaid shirt with her hands covered in dirt.

Nothing more womanly than up to your elbows in dirt and flowers with a kid sitting near you, feet in clogs or garden boots and a little sunburn on your nose. Sweat isn't a problem if it's not men's sweat--I think they like our smell! :)

I just dress like a man  :ph34r: It's cheaper that way.  I love the looks of the stuff from Duluth, but $40 or $50 bucks for a shirt?  That I'll probably rip on barbed wire? 

Wow, looking at what I wrote, I'm feeling rather unfeminine right now  :huh:

I had to laugh at this as my friend and I are super cheap about our barn clothes.  We really paused when the local thrift store went from $1 to $2 for a pair of jeans we would wear in the barn...........and we had to be in real NEED to pay the $4 goodwill prices for barn jeans.

I do have the raspberry colored insulated bibs and jacket for really bad winter weather but I mostly wear my insulated black men's coveralls as they slip over my PJs or long underwear quickly for doing early morning chores.  Pair those with a pair of green insulated muck boots and whatever hat I can find and I am really styling :-)

• Like 2

Gosh, I would say that Carhartt pants look really great on a woman and I've heard there's nothing like a girl in jeans and a plaid shirt with her hands covered in dirt.

Nothing more womanly than up to your elbows in dirt and flowers with a kid sitting near you, feet in clogs or garden boots and a little sunburn on your nose. Sweat isn't a problem if it's not men's sweat--I think they like our smell! :)

My husband seems to agree, he still finds me womanly in my flannel and denim, all sweaty and splattered with dirt/calf crap :)

I had to laugh at this as my friend and I are super cheap about our barn clothes.  We really paused when the local thrift store went from $1 to $2 for a pair of jeans we would wear in the barn...........and we had to be in real NEED to pay the $4 goodwill prices for barn jeans.

I do have the raspberry colored insulated bibs and jacket for really bad winter weather but I mostly wear my insulated black men's coveralls as they slip over my PJs or long underwear quickly for doing early morning chores.  Pair those with a pair of green insulated muck boots and whatever hat I can find and I am really styling :-)

I've definitely rocked the coveralls over pj's when I go out to milk cows in the morning, especially when it's cold :)  Maybe I need to get raspberry colored coveralls, mine are dark brown.

• Like 1

If it were summer here and hot and humid (which I'm thinking it is in the south) I wear capri jeans (old so I don't care if they get stained or greasy but form fitting and dark so stuff doesn't really show). I also have a pair of ds's old sweats that I whacked off at the calf. Surprisingly these don't look bad but the jeans are tougher. I put on my old black paint splattered converse with no show socks and a tank top. I throw a light weight cotton button down, maybe floral, probably Goodwilled  shirt over unbuttoned and rolled at the wrist. I sunburn so need covered and it helps prevent some of the scratches I always get when trimming, mowing, tilling, whatever. I also wear a giant hat but again, it's the sunburn not the fashion thing.