Menu

UK wartime clothes rationing

That was interesting.  When I see links and one post I worry about what I might see.  But, then I saw the post count.   

Not WWII, but my aunt told me that double-breasted suits were worn in the depression because men lost so much weight and they couldn't waste the money on another suit.  

• Like 3

Reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara and her curtain dress in Gone With the Wind.

My mother still has a purple velvet gown that she made out of curtain material - at some point she was able to get hold of that.  It's a gorgeous thing, and heavy!  It was similar in style to this.

• Like 3

My aunt has a WWII era cookbook.  It had a lot of advice on making the most of less.  Flipping through I read on section on the healthful benefits of frying vegetables in leftover fat.  It was a bit shocking at first.  But, not after you realize people were eating less, therefore those calories were healthy and there wasn't an excess of meat consumed in the first place, so, yes, the fat was probably very healthful.  

• Like 1

My aunt has a WWII era cookbook.  It had a lot of advice on making the most of less.  Flipping through I read on section on the healthful benefits of frying vegetables in leftover fat.  It was a bit shocking at first.  But, not after you realize people were eating less, therefore those calories were healthy and there wasn't an excess of meat consumed in the first place, so, yes, the fat was probably very healthful.  

It's like when I lived in China in 1985.  Food was often (when people could manage it) really oily.  But protein was scarce and meat pretty rare.  So that oil was crucial to obtaining adequate calories.  I used to buy cooking oil for Chinese friends from the foreigners-only store, so that they could supplement their oil ration - they insisted on paying for it, but just by getting them the oil I was increasing their family calories.

Supposedly the UK wartime years were the healthiest (as far as diet, body weight and exercise) that the British populace has ever been.  It may even have increased intelligence.

• Like 3

It's like when I lived in China in 1985. Food was often (when people could manage it) really oily. But protein was scarce and meat pretty rare. So that oil was crucial to obtaining adequate calories. I used to buy cooking oil for Chinese friends from the foreigners-only store, so that they could supplement their oil ration - they insisted on paying for it, but just by getting them the oil I was increasing their family calories.

Supposedly the UK wartime years were the healthiest (as far as diet, body weight and exercise) that the British populace has ever been. It may even have increased intelligence.

The wartime intelligence article is fascinating. I hear so many stories of life during the war that always amaze me. Rationing went on for so much longer in England. One of my friend's mum was a really creative cook and replaced sugar with parsnips very successfully in many recipes. She made something with a parsnip recipe as an example years ago and it was really good, as in even my kids were willing to eat it. Think it was a sweet bread. Lol

• Like 1

The wartime intelligence article is fascinating. I hear so many stories of life during the war that always amaze me. Rationing went on for so much longer in England. One of my friend's mum was a really creative cook and replaced sugar with parsnips very successfully in many recipes. She made something with a parsnip recipe as an example years ago and it was really good, as in even my kids were willing to eat it. Think it was a sweet bread. Lol

My family recipe for Christmas Pudding has grated carrots in it.  We faithfully reproduced it every year, until the year my mother said, 'You know it's only carrots because we couldn't get fruit and sugar in the war, don't you?'

• Like 9

My family recipe for Christmas Pudding has grated carrots in it. We faithfully reproduced it every year, until the year my mother said, 'You know it's only carrots because we couldn't get fruit and sugar in the war, don't you?'

:lol:
  • Like 1

My family recipe for Christmas Pudding has grated carrots in it. We faithfully reproduced it every year, until the year my mother said, 'You know it's only carrots because we couldn't get fruit and sugar in the war, don't you?'

Gosh, think of what a healthy way to live it would have been? (Bearing in mind that the stress and possibly not being able to get "enough" created additional health issues....)
  • Like 1

Gosh, think of what a healthy way to live it would have been? (Bearing in mind that the stress and possibly not being able to get "enough" created additional health issues....)

Yes - the PTSD was suffered by combatants and civilians alike.  A study recently thought to map any correlation between mental illness in the elderly and whether they, as children, had been evacuated to live with strangers during the war.  Strong correlation...

• Like 2

My parents had pretty awful malnutrition in WW2 and the years after. I think the rations were possibly healthy enough for adults but not growing kids. 

That makes sense.  My mother was already fifteen in 1939.  My father was nine in 1939, but was sent to Canada in 1940.  He was prevented from going to school by the distant relative with whom he was staying, but I think he was fed. 

• Like 1