Menu

Tae Kwon Do question

AnneBlessedx4

Does your school require knuckle push ups?  If so, what kind of floor do you have?  Do you have a problem with that kind of push ups?

Our school meets in the recreation center.  The floor is not a gym floor, but something like it.  The room is used for a variety of things.  We love the main instructor.  My 2 teens are assistant instructors. They are not black belts. 

When my boys were doing TKD, the instructor taught them how to do knuckle pushups.  Floor was a rubberized mat and sort of bouncy.  

It was not a required thing.  DD21 was doing TKD at the same time and always opted for regular pushups rather than knuckle.

No.  We have a matted floor.  Our instructor does knuckle push-ups because that's the most comfortable for him.  Some of the students choose to do them as well.  It's our choice.  He even lets me do knee push-ups for part of the time because he knows I am working back up to being able to do regular ones (I had gallbladder surgery several months ago and them cutting the muscle made it severely painful to do regular push-ups for quite some time).

We don't do tkd. We do kung fu. Our school doesn't require them until the adult black belt test but they do have you practice them during endurance training. Part of the adult black sash test is endurance and in that section you have to do 50 flat palm push ups, 50 knuckle push ups, and 50 fingertip push ups. Points are removed for each one you can't do but there are so many points on the entire test that you can still pass without being able to do them all. Generally, the people who get in the high 90s on the test are the ones who are able to do most or all of the endurance section(the pushups isn't the only part of that section.)

We don't do tkd. We do kung fu. Our school doesn't require them until the adult black belt test but they do have you practice them during endurance training. Part of the adult black sash test is endurance and in that section you have to do 50 flat palm push ups, 50 knuckle push ups, and 50 fingertip push ups. Points are removed for each one you can't do but there are so many points on the entire test that you can still pass without being able to do them all. Generally, the people who get in the high 90s on the test are the ones who are able to do most or all of the endurance section(the pushups isn't the only part of that section.)

Fingertip push-ups?  That sounds painful.

For our fit test, we have to do 30 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, a punching combination 10 times that equals 100 punches (I'm *really* good at those lol), and a kicking combination that equals (I think) 60 kicks.  It is timed.  All ages have to do the fit test.

No Knuckle Push-Ups.

We have mats on the floor.

The instructor has, on one occasion, challenged the kids to "Alligator Pushups":  like a regular push up, but the hand and leg on one side  are moved closer together for the down-up motion, then returned to normal position; then the hand an leg on the other side are are moved closer together.

Fingertip push-ups? That sounds painful.

For our fit test, we have to do 30 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, a punching combination 10 times that equals 100 punches (I'm *really* good at those lol), and a kicking combination that equals (I think) 60 kicks. It is timed. All ages have to do the fit test.

Oh they are! On a normal day I can do maybe 10 fingertip pushups. When pushed to do it during an endurance challenge I can get in the 20s. It's not about fitness at that point though it's about endurance and ignoring the pain. The endurance section of the adult black belt test also has 100 sit ups, 50 squats, and holding a 15 minute horse stance.

Combinations like you mention are a different part of the test. Junior black belt test has an endurance section it's just not as intense. Any other belt test has an even less demanding endurance section.

I'm a 3rd degree black belt and knuckle push-ups are only ever offered as an option for those students who want to do them in training/warm-ups. Knuckle push-ups are not a requirement for black belt, but other specific types of push-ups are. 

I've tried knuckle push-ups, but find them very awkward. There are so many variations of push-ups available, that unless your club had a specific requirement for a certain number of knuckle push-ups, or I enjoyed doing them, I would do a different style of push-up. Most family martial arts studios are meant to be inclusive and adaptable so that anyone can participate. I have a friend who is a 3rd degree black belt and has physical issues limiting her mobility in many TKD kicks, and this doesn't prevent her from continued participation and competition. Another 4th degree instructor can only do knuckle push-ups because of physical limitation in his hands. There should always be ways to modify movements to make the classes enjoyable for everyone. Sure, we're all training to push our capabilities, but I would really wonder about a club or instructor that forced knuckle push-ups, which isn't even a movement in any Taekwon-do pattern or sparring.