Menu

Vent - Netflix and Amazon Prime covers for videos

momee

I don't recall seeing any that my six-year-old would find disturbing.  Of course, Netflix mostly just recommends documentaries for me that this point, so that might have something to do with it.  Can you go into your taste preferences and adjust them so that kind of stuff doesn't come up?

I think this is a JAWM type post, but just in case ...

We use the profiles.  So the kids have their own profiles - one for each of them, and one combined that we just call "kids." I don't think they've ever seen anything like you're describing.  That's Netflix.  They don't use Amazon unless I'm available.  If you are looking for a solution, that might work.

My 6 year old is only allowed to go into the kids profile. I havent seen any of what you mention in there. If he goes into my profile then he loses Netflix for a bit since there are things I don't want him seeing in there. But that is a profile filled with films and shows geared towards adults so I see nothing wrong with them marketing such movies in a way that most adults would be fine with. As an adukt, even if I don't want to see it, I can understand it's marketing and just ignore it. And since Netflix gives me an option to block it from my children then I'm OK with it. The kids don't have access to my amazon prime though

I know what you're talking about on the default profile. I have a kids one set up, but if the kids happen to be in the room while I'm looking for something to watch I'm careful about what "genre" I'm looking through. They recently did an update (or maybe it's just this way on our new Roku) and they show big giant screen shots of the scenes of the show, which can be problematic if you're looking through horror or even documentaries (they have some that are on $ex trades and p0rn stars and such--they tend to be pretty suggestive). Those aren't based on your "taste" profile or what you've watched, just the fact that they are documentaries.

We had profiles on Netflix before we stopped subscribing to them.

Is there a way to do that with Amazon? On there, the covers  have nothing to do with what I watched recently. For awhile they were just promoting American Horror Story and the poster with the snakes coming out of the mouths just came up automatically upon opening it. That was the only one that really got to me. We don't use tablets for watching, just our living room TV, so Free Time doesn't help us, either.

FWIW, we're not terribly conservative but some of the images are violent or scary and I wish we could opt out of the promoted stuff. If it were a free service, then sure, push new shows on us. But we are paying. Anyway, if we're going to watch on Prime, we set it up before they come in and they can't get into it without us. (Ours are all young.) We have a kid watchlist but that didn't really help.

Yeah, we have an "education" profile and a "kids" profile and while sometimes they suggest inappropriate things - especially things like Orange is the New Black or other original programming things that they're really marketing hard - the covers are never graphic. I would say to make sure you have a separate profile for the kids that only has kid stuff.

I was thinking this would be a spoiler vent. I have had more than one episode of a tv show spoiled by the screen cap they showed. Like, a character that was gone or a pivotal moment in the episode was shown in the pic.

Never noticed anything racy though.

The covers on Netflix also depend what device you are using to watch them. We've had two smart tvs, a console, and an Apple Tv and they looked different on each one. Some were definitely worse than others!  The sex ones weren't so bad, but some of the horror ones...wow!

You might like Jelly Telly or Iamflix. I love that Jelly Telly is content that I can trust. I don't have to worry about the kids stumbling upon something inappropriate. Plus it's so cheap compared to Netflix.

We were streaming from Xbox and the ads were awful. I am glad I got a Roku and found jelly Telly and iamflix.

You might like Jelly Telly or Iamflix. I love that Jelly Telly is content that I can trust. I don't have to worry about the kids stumbling upon something inappropriate. Plus it's so cheap compared to Netflix.

We were streaming from Xbox and the ads were awful. I am glad I got a Roku and found jelly Telly and iamflix.

Iamflix has some really good stuff.

I must not spend enough time glancing at the titles as I look through them because I can't seem to think of any that I found offensive. Mine must be all G rated :)

Yeah, I mean there's certainly content on Netflix I'd never let dd watch, but as far as just the covers go I don't remember anything questionable.  We watch through a Roku and on laptops, tablets, and smart phones.