Menu

How's the new semester so far for our freshmen?

Jenny in Florida

LOL about the pony! 

I think that, especially for him now, fit is more important than selectivity.  He needs to be able to have some fun so it's not just work.  I have no idea what the distance is between where he is and PBA, but maybe a friend from USF could give him a ride to check it out some weekend.  It may be that he'll end up finding some friends where he is, but in the meantime if he knows that there's an out and is excited about where he could transfer to, then he'll be able to get through the semester easier.  I really suggest that he speak with the powers that be about getting out of his room as that situation sounds really bad.

Enjoy the snorkeling!   Sounds wonderful!

It's a bit of distance between St Petersburg and West Palm Beach, but he has seen the school before and liked it, so perhaps he can dust off some brain neurons to think about it.  I have already suggested it as a possibility.

The snorkeling is ok in front of the condo, but it's not spectacular.  It's just inexpensive - our favorite kind (in a way).  Hubby and I are hoping to get some scuba in in the next couple of weeks, but we'll see.  There are no shore dives here, so we'll pay for a boat dive or two if we get a chance.  My mom won't be able to do scuba, of course.  She's not certified.  But we are eager to introduce her to snorkeling so she can join us on some of our adventures.

If you want a peek at some limited photos hubby has been putting on Photobucket to share with friends/family, they're here (and will continue to be updated as we have some):

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/creekland/library/General/2015%20Bahamas?sort=2&multi=1&addtype=&page=1

Photo #7 could be used for a great lesson on camouflage.  Try to spot the Flounder.  ;)  Other photos have brain coral, a sand dollar, a skate, etc.  There are tons of camouflaged smaller fish.  It's fun to hover and watch them. 

Right now I wish my boys were here with us.  We had many travel adventures together when they were younger.  It almost seems like a sin to explore new places without them, but alas, youngsters leave the nest and fly out on their own.

• Like 3

((Creekland))

I am absolutely brokenhearted for your son.  :grouphug:  I was feeling mama heart pain for you until I read you were in the Bahamas.  :glare:  Now I'm just envious.  (Let's see a pic of you along with those sand dollars and flounders. :coolgleamA: )

My hackles are raised knowing your DS is being mistreated and I wish there was something I could do. 

Your DS's activities are things my DS does regularly.  He loves to discuss a variety of topics and gets into some intense conversations then it's off to play the Xbox, all disagreements forgotten.  We also have 6 cases of insect mounts left over from his 4H entomology days and SCUBA gear hanging in the basement (not much call for it in winter in IL). I have no doubt our boys would have plenty to keep them busy if they were together.

I was feeling mama heart pain for you until I read you were in the Bahamas.  :glare:  Now I'm just envious.  (Let's see a pic of you along with those sand dollars and flounders. :coolgleamA: )

My hackles are raised knowing your DS is being mistreated and I wish there was something I could do. 

Your DS's activities are things my DS does regularly.  He loves to discuss a variety of topics and gets into some intense conversations then it's off to play the Xbox, all disagreements forgotten.  We also have 6 cases of insect mounts left over from his 4H entomology days and SCUBA gear hanging in the basement (not much call for it in winter in IL). I have no doubt our boys would have plenty to keep them busy if they were together.

I wish your guy were there!  Intense conversations, insect mounts, scuba - sounds like a pretty good match!  My guy might even get into Xbox.  I know he plays some with a couple of his friends at home.

The Bahamas bit has a little bit of a backstory.  One year ago I was in the midst of 6 weeks of radiation and promised myself a trip.  Originally (in my dreams) the trip was to last the entire time of the radiation and it was going to be to Tahiti/Bora Bora.

Reality hit when I looked at the prices for Tahiti.   :svengo: So I contemplated Hawaii (we've been there and loved it) and Caribbean islands (hadn't been to any aside from the FL Keys).  Where we are - Grand Bahama - is in a bit of a tourist slump since Nassau/New Providence has taken over the bulk of the tourist trade due to Atlantis and other resorts.  This makes Grand Bahama quite a bit less expensive and in our budget.  We can't stay 6 weeks, but we did rent the condo for the month - sharing the cost with my mom - AND it costs less than one third of what a week in Bora Bora would have cost us (cheaper air fare too).

Grand Bahama is VERY laid back.  Some would probably be bored.  I absolutely love it.  Our goal is not to spend oodles of money.  It's to relax.  So far we've learned the bus system ($1.25 per person to go almost anywhere - but schedule?  What in the world is that?   :smilielol5: )  We've found a grocery store (everything is shipped in, so food is pricey, but we don't require much).  We have a personal taxi driver when we want one (GREAT personality).  We've looked around at the market - there appear to be some small shops worthy of more attention.  We've found our first mom & pop breakfast/lunch place (where I learned I love coconut pancakes). And our condo (8th floor) is on a couple mile stretch of beach - great for walking - decent for snorkeling.  There's no snow either!  I get to see the sunrise every morning.  Our critters have a paid farm sitter, so should be doing ok.  As of last night's e-mail they seem fine.

Hubby is still working on projects from back home.  Therefore a bit of my time is spent online or reading.  When he wants to take breaks - we head places.  It's nigh onto perfect and I plan to enjoy every minute of it to be honest.

When I return there are other medical issues I get to deal with that may or may not be related to the radiation (sigh).  For one month I get to ignore it all (it's even easier to ignore symptoms here).  AND, of course, if I HAVE to deal with more medical stuff, that means I HAVE to plan another trip for next Feb... ;)

But I wasn't expecting this issue from my youngest to pop up so soon and so suddenly.  We'll see what happens.  I think he's ok finishing the semester at this point.

• Like 12

I think my guy has given up... he loves his school, but hasn't found his tribe (non-drinking, still fun-loving males who don't mind Christian values - need not BE Christian - he had plenty of non-Christian friends at our high school, but they were tolerant of his views as he was of theirs).  He sent us an e-mail last night that was pretty depressing to read as a mama (or papa).

We won't make him stay.  I want him to consider other schools where he could be more likely to find friends, but I don't know if he will.  Time will tell.

I'm so sorry your son is having a hard time at Eckerd. There is a lot of alcohol consumption there. When I attended, there was a pub on campus and honestly any age student could unofficially hang out (i.e. drink) there. I don't know if that is still true.

Did he do a winter term this past year? Every really good friend I made at Eckerd was first met during winter terms. It is a time when kids with similar interests really come together for an intense month of study and fun. If he does decide to stay, I would encourage him to start early looking at winter term options, especially options that involve travel. Choose a study that will draw people he would be interested in knowing better. After my first winter term, my friends and I actually talked about how odd it was that we had spent the whole first semester just walking past each other without really noticing one another.

I was feeling mama heart pain for you until I read you were in the Bahamas.  :glare:  Now I'm just envious.  (Let's see a pic of you along with those sand dollars and flounders. :coolgleamA: )

Ok, I think hubby did a decent job of photoshopping us onto the beach scene with this morning's walk.  (Or you can thank Walter from Toronto for offering his picture taking services.)

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/creekland/library/General/2015%20Bahamas?sort=2&multi=1&addtype=&page=1

I don't think snorkeling is going to happen today - so no more pics of flounder and sand dollars.  It's getting a bit windy in advance of tomorrow's predicted storm.

• Like 4

Did he do a winter term this past year? Every really good friend I made at Eckerd was first met during winter terms. It is a time when kids with similar interests really come together for an intense month of study and fun. If he does decide to stay, I would encourage him to start early looking at winter term options, especially options that involve travel. Choose a study that will draw people he would be interested in knowing better. After my first winter term, my friends and I actually talked about how odd it was that we had spent the whole first semester just walking past each other without really noticing one another.

He did not do one this year.  Perhaps he should have.  We left the decision up to him.

Great news in this morning's e-mail from youngest!!!

"All classes are well so far, and I actually have been making quite a few new friends lately, oddly enough while I was at ___ earlier visiting a friend, I saw another ripstik, and so I checked in on that room and found the other rider on campus, so we talked and rode inside the dorm, then chilled for most all the day..."

Right now it's looking good that he will choose to stay there - which would have been my option #1 as he truly does love the school and Eckerd has a bit to offer for what he wants to do!  Having a good friend or two seriously can make all the difference.  It's fine by me if the common denominator is a type of skateboard!  ;)

Kids!  They always keep us mamas on our toes - no?  But seriously, I'm saying oodles of prayers of thanks over this latest e-mail and I hope this friendship can be a nice lengthy one!

• Like 31

Right now it's looking good that he will choose to stay there - which would have been my option #1 as he truly does love the school and Eckerd has a bit to offer for what he wants to do!  Having a good friend or two seriously can make all the difference.  It's fine by me if the common denominator is a type of skateboard!   ;)

Kids!  They always keep us mamas on our toes - no?  But seriously, I'm saying oodles of prayers of thanks over this latest e-mail and I hope this friendship can be a nice lengthy one!

This was a wonderful update to wake up to.  :hurray: 

• Like 5

Great news in this morning's e-mail from youngest!!!

Right now it's looking good that he will choose to stay there - which would have been my option #1 as he truly does love the school and Eckerd has a bit to offer for what he wants to do!  Having a good friend or two seriously can make all the difference.  It's fine by me if the common denominator is a type of skateboard!   ;)

Oh, Creekland, this is great news indeed! I'm so glad for him...and for you!

My dd is a sophomore, so I shouldn't even be on this thread, but this is her best semester yet. She has a slightly easier course load, despite still being 18 credits (types her mom as her music major dd sits in honors statistics and honors philosophy today, lol), she loves her job as a grader, she's in the pit for a play the college is doing and she has the best roommate she's ever had. Her roommate from 1st semester was good, but transferred. 

Ds and I have struggled this year. He's had a lot of changes thrust upon him w/ his schedule and teachers, and a lot of joy he and I both have had is gone now. It didn't help when our cat was killed by a car in front of our house last week either. I'm glad dd is doing well, though. 

Anyway, back to your ds, Creekland, this is wonderful!

Ds and I have struggled this year. He's had a lot of changes thrust upon him w/ his schedule and teachers, and a lot of joy he and I both have had is gone now. It didn't help when our cat was killed by a car in front of our house last week either. I'm glad dd is doing well, though. 

I'm also glad your dd is doing well and I hope my guy's doing better is a (more or less) permanent thing.

I couldn't "like" your post due to this last part.  For that I wanted to offer  :grouphug:  and prayers that things improve.  Sorry to hear about your cat too.  Losing pets is very, very hard - even without the other stuff going on.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing your college kids' feelings and experiences!!  I am preparing my momma heart to hear various different emotions from my future freshman.  We are all teetering between being very excited, nervous, apprehensive, hopeful....etc.   Shopping for college things (I know, already??) is making her look forward to the fall.   :001_smile:

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing your college kids' feelings and experiences!!  I am preparing my momma heart to hear various different emotions from my future freshman.  We are all teetering between being very excited, nervous, apprehensive, hopeful....etc.   Shopping for college things (I know, already??) is making her look forward to the fall.   :001_smile:

I hope you like roller coasters.  ;)

But seriously, my older two did great - perhaps kiddie coaster stuff.  "I" had to adjust to the change far more than they did.  This last "dip" with youngest was a doozy.  Fortunately the car stayed on the tracks, but I might need some Dramamine! 

And if anyone is following our Bahamas pics, hubby did upload more.  In spite of the wind we headed back out snorkeling yesterday (really tough not to for those of us nature-type lovers).  It was less clear due to the ocean being chopped up a bit more, but more current pics include a nice sized starfish, another brain coral (there are tons of these here), a camouflaged conch and a really hidden octopus (inside the hole - I kept hoping s/he would come out, but all it did was move a little inside).

We do plan to keep updating pics as we have them, but I won't post updates on here as it doesn't match the thread.  It was just a rabbit trail and is only there if others want to live vicariously.

Today it's raining, so it's laundry day - and reading.  You won't get pics of either.

• Like 3

I'm also glad your dd is doing well and I hope my guy's doing better is a (more or less) permanent thing.

I couldn't "like" your post due to this last part.  For that I wanted to offer  :grouphug:  and prayers that things improve.  Sorry to hear about your cat too.  Losing pets is very, very hard - even without the other stuff going on.

I'll take those hugs!

We just didn't realize how big a part of our everyday lives that silly cat was. He was our chief mouse killer (never had any inside, but we live in the country so keeping them under control helped keep snakes away) and so, while he can't be replaced in our hearts, that job will be filled again come spring.

We are dog people, but he was like a dog, even "going" outside only (#bestpetever!). This was ds's first big loss, and I am just learning how much he did w/ that cat by his side (playing and doing chores outside) or on his lap (math, English, reading). He's very lonely. Golly, the way the cat greeted DH each evening and curled up on his lap was a stress buster for him too! We're all grieving. DD will really feel it when she's home on spring break.

I found sophomore year interminable in both high school and college. This is sophomore year for both of my kids, one in high school and one in college. At least dd isn't following that pattern.

Thanks, Creekland. Sorry to ramble about the pet. I vowed never to love a pet again the day my ds was born and I learned we had to put down our yellow lab. But this cat appeared on our back porch as a poor, helpless kitten and started killing mice and won his way into our hearts and our home. And now we want another one. Will I never learn?

• Like 1

Sorry to ramble about the pet. I vowed never to love a pet again the day my ds was born and I learned we had to put down our yellow lab. But this cat appeared on our back porch as a poor, helpless kitten and started killing mice and won his way into our hearts and our home. And now we want another one. Will I never learn?

It's definitely better to love and lose than never to love at all.  Ramble away.   :grouphug:

We lost a few cats over the years to various things (including old age).  It's never easy and there are definitely some that are super special.  It sounds like yours was one of those super special kitties.  I'm sorry he's gone.  May your new cats (they really are fun in pairs) be just as fun in their own special ways.  They'll never replace, but love expands.  It doesn't get divided.

• Like 3

I talked to ds last night - he was feeling talkative, which is a rare thing :).  He has quite a bit more on his plate this semester compared with the 1st - more credits and classes, and he has managed to get himself into 6 (music) ensembles, though one of them is playing pit for the opera and he gets paid for that.  He said his honors astronomy class is his easiest class (and from talking to a friend, easier than "non-honors" astronomy - go figure.)  His theory professor is exceptional as always, plus is bringing coffee and donuts to class on Fridays.  :D  He is being paid by the department to tutor students and he has 4 students so far.  I think he is really proud of that.  I also just looked it up on the U's website and found ds's name in the 115 pages of Dean's List recipients.  :)

Ds is starting to make plans for next year already - scholarships, different dorm (he wants to move to the music major community), new students to form groups with, graduating students that he will miss.  It makes me think he feels confident about his place there and prospects for the future.  Happy sigh.

OTOH, I submitted the FAFSA earlier today and 5 minutes later realized I have to go back and correct something.  :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Life is looking up for youngest!  He just called us excited to share the news that he auditioned for a part in the college play (Eurydice) and was selected to be a stone!

I'll admit to needing to google more info about the play and parts... there are three stones.  I'm not sure which he will be.  I suspect he will be good at it though.  I've seen him act in the Improv group at our high school.  Certain roles are right up his alley.

And I'm REALLY glad he decided to audition.  He wasn't sure he would.

• Like 17

Life is looking up for youngest!  He just called us excited to share the news that he auditioned for a part in the college play (Eurydice) and was selected to be a stone!

I'll admit to needing to google more info about the play and parts... there are three stones.  I'm not sure which he will be.  I suspect he will be good at it though.  I've seen him act in the Improv group at our high school.  Certain roles are right up his alley.

And I'm REALLY glad he decided to audition.  He wasn't sure he would.

Yay!!!!

Creekland - everyone knows there are 4 stones: Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie.

(I crack myself up.  )   :D

• Like 10

Creekland - everyone knows there are 4 stones: Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie.

:lol:  Those types of stone roles are not up his alley.  He wouldn't try out for high school performances because they were all musicals.  He is a natural at acting - but singing and/or dance?  Not his thing.

Different stones for different folks!  ;)

• Like 4

Life is looking up for youngest! He just called us excited to share the news that he auditioned for a part in the college play (Eurydice) and was selected to be a stone!

I'll admit to needing to google more info about the play and parts... there are three stones. I'm not sure which he will be. I suspect he will be good at it though. I've seen him act in the Improv group at our high school. Certain roles are right up his alley.

And I'm REALLY glad he decided to audition. He wasn't sure he would.

So happy to hear this!!!!

My ds is going on a giant, group blind date tonight! I believe all the freshmen dorms have the same event sometime during the quarter - it's called, "Screw Your Roommate." Ack!!! I know! It sounds awful! This is not his dorm's event, but another freshmen dorm's event. He knows the name of the young lady with whom he has been set up, but she does not know him. It's her dorm event, and a girl with whom ds had a class last quarter selected him to go with her. The whole group goes ice skating. I truly wish it didn't have such a dreadful name!!! My mil was aghast when I told her the name. Anyway, of course, I got the name of the girl from the mom of the girl who lives in the same dorm (they are in a town 30 minutes away from us, and we have all become friends). So, of course, I have crept on her FB page and have seen how cute she is (ds confessed that he, too, has crept on her FB page! He did not know her). I hope they have fun, but how awkward if they fall madly in love, get married, and have to explain to their children that they met at an event called, "Screw Your Roommate." :D

• Like 7

I already posted here once, but tomorrow my dd starts her first ever real paying job! Part-time, of course, college is still her first job for now, but she wants to go to Spain this summer for overseas study, and we told her we are not able to pay for it. We can help her, but she needed to apply for various scholarships and get a job if she wanted to go . . . so she did! She's working at one of the on campus dining halls, literally steps away from her dorm, so it's a great situation. 

Just last year I was harassing her about college applications, and scholarships, and studying.  It's really neat to see her taking the initiative on her own now, and succeeding!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this morning on FB hubby learns that my guy left a weekend event he was attending due to "an illness that had the potential to make his vitals go haywire."

Yes, son, this is the type of info that you need to post on FB without filling your parents in on any more details.   :banghead:

There were certainly gaps in our at home education - or at least - in what got mastered.  (sigh)

(We are trying to get more details.  I'm hoping it's just something like the flu or similar.)

• Like 2

Creekland - Isn't FB wonderful? :glare:

No kidding!

Upon conversing with the lad it appears like a typical stomach bug - either virus or from something he ate.  More importantly, he's starting to feel better now (after 2 nights and a day...).

One would think he could have chosen his description for FB a little bit better, but I'm guessing that might not have been as impressive?

OR, of course, he maybe could have thought to alert his next of kin first?

No matter what sort of illness or disease I might have (beyond, maybe, the common cold) - my mom would take care of it quickly by killing ME if she found out about it from some sort of roundabout way.

• Like 4

Yes, son, this is the type of info that you need to post on FB without filling your parents in on any more details.   :banghead:

Isn't it interesting what kinds of things they choose to share and which they leave out?

My son danced in the faculty-choreographed spring dance concert this weekend. (This is different from the student-choreographed spring dance "happening," auditions for which are coming up next weekend.) This is the same son we talk to three or more times a week, who speaks a mile a minute during our 90-minute drives to and from campus when he comes home for the weekend. My husband and I spent much of Saturday on campus seeing his shows, going to lunch, delivering food.

Late last night, I noticed some backstage photos from the dance concert that included my son had been posted on Facebook. In a couple of them, my son has his arm around a very cute young woman. I didn't recognize her, but I thought she seemed a bit familiar. I did a little poking around and realized that I had downloaded photos that showed up on Facebook after the fall dance happening that showed my son and the same young woman in more or less the same pose.

He has introduced us to a bunch of his friend group. We drove one of his female friends back to campus after the holiday break and ended up spending most of the day with her and taking her along to an event we attended that evening. 

But this girl he has his arm around in multiple photos taken over a period of five months? I haven't heard him so much as mention her name.

(The dance concert was great, by the way! He was the featured male dancer in the classical ballet piece and drew hoots and cheers for his leaps and turns. He was also one of two guys who were front and center in the tap dance. My husband and I went to the afternoon performance, taking separate cars for a complicated set of reasons. He was tired and needed to go home, but I ended up staying to see the evening show, just because I wanted to watch my son dance again.)

• Like 7

But this girl he has his arm around in multiple photos taken over a period of five months? I haven't heard him so much as mention her name.

So now curious minds are wondering if you've searched FB for her name - or are planning to ask, etc.   ;)

The dance performance sounds very rewarding to have watched - I'd have stayed for the later show too!

And I found out my guy wasn't being too overly dramatic - he caught his bug from his roommate and his roommate ended up in the hospital over it due to "affected vital signs."  We didn't ask for more details because his roommate was there in the room when we Skyped last night.  However, mine was happy he didn't end up there as well - as are we.

Now we need to plot together (perhaps more of us in the Hive are in this group?) just how we can get them to share more to us next of kin FIRST - before we find out about it on FB postings.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I get to share a good update now!

Youngest is home on spring break and is MUCH happier at school now.  He's still finding himself academically (ok by me), but has friends to do that with there and is enjoying himself.

His current grades sound acceptable (or even quite good)!

He might switch to a theater major.  He still enjoys the flora/fauna, but is also a pretty darn good actor, so who knows?

I know I mainly want him to get "a" degree as those are needed in so many jobs in today's world.  I'm not one of those who cares what the degree is in as long as he enjoys it. (It will be the same with a job later - I don't care what or how much money as long as he enjoys it.)  

And I want him to enjoy getting the degree overall too - to enjoy the college experience.  That's mainly because hubby and I did and both brothers did (or are), so I didn't want him left behind.

It's a nice "happy mama" feeling after our "catch-up" - so different than a month ago.

Now I just have to hope it continues!   :tongue_smilie:

• Like 18

Well, my ds had a slight mishap this week. He dislocated his left knee on Tuesday around 11:30 at night. Just horsing around/playing games in the dorm hallway. Was taken via ambulance to Stanford Hospital where they did a reduction (I think that's what it is called? Where they pop it back in place - shudder). Was released about 3:00 a.m. Being the bad parents we are, our ringers were off. Dh received the last text stating ds was back at the dorm and going to sleep about ten minutes before dh got up. :/ So, I had to wait for ds to call me later that day as we didn't want to wake him. The hospital folks had wanted to talk to us, but ds could not reach us. Mommy malpractice on the ringers!!! Ds is still a minor as he was grade-skipped, and I assume this is why they wanted to talk to us. His minority did allow me to talk to the call-back nurse in the ER the next day. She was extremely helpful. I was able to text ds instructions because, of course, he had not read his discharge papers. Ds had NOT been drinking and was quite annoyed by the fact that "they asked me about five times," but I explained this was a necessary tidbit of info before they started him on morphine!!! The roommate went with him and stayed the entire time; I was so thankful! I don't really think they are BFFs or run in the same crowd, but I was so glad ds wasn't alone. I texted the roommate the next day and expressed my profound gratitude. Had asked for and received his cell in case of emergency. I told him he should receive the roommate of the year award! Roommate texted back that ds would have done the same for him and that he had never seen someone with such a "brutal" (shudder, again) injury act as calmly as ds did. Ds did have his insurance card with him. He will require a follow-up with an orthopedic surgeon, and I am praying that no surgery will be necessary. Not sure if that will happen there next week or here the following week while he is home on Spring Break. Would like him to get in out there this week, but the ER nurse thought that was doubtful as she said they stay backed up. Ds also told me that he was "pretty far ahead" in his work, so that he should not be impacted by this little event. Since they are on quarters, he has final exams next week and had two major papers due this week. I am so glad he has a good work ethic and isn't a procrastinator.

It is hard being 1,800+ miles away. :(

• Like 3

:grouphug: I can relate.  Our phones are not in our bedroom at night.  There really isn't anything you can do from so far away, except worry, so don't beat yourself up.  I'm glad his roommate helped out. 

I dislocated my elbow when I was 17.  It was in a sling for a while.  Will his knee be in a brace or a boot or something?  In the scheme of things, a dislocation is not as bad as all sorts of other things.  I'm glad he'll be home for spring break soon.

• Like 1

:grouphug: I can relate. Our phones are not in our bedroom at night. There really isn't anything you can do from so far away, except worry, so don't beat yourself up. I'm glad his roommate helped out.

I dislocated my elbow when I was 17. It was in a sling for a while. Will his knee be in a brace or a boot or something? In the scheme of things, a dislocation is not as bad as all sorts of other things. I'm glad he'll be home for spring break soon.

Thanks, Sue. He is wearing a brace and is supposed to wear it until he sees the orthodpedist. He is kinda "loose jointed" if that makes any sense. Our pastor's son (college student as well) dislocated his knee this past fall. Also a freak thing - just tripped on something in their home. Did not require surgery. He was to have worn a brace for four weeks, but she said he only wore it two. He went to PT one time. Hoping that is all that is required for ds!!!

Glad all basically worked out ok, Cynthia, but I can sure imagine the mama guilt at not getting the phone calls regardless of how late they were.

I swear, some of these issues were just NOT in the parenting instruction magazines we saw.  (sigh)  I seem to recall kissing boo boos and applying bandaids in the injury sections.

Physical therapy?  I was informed that pt actually stands for pain and torture.  Since they fixed a really annoying problem I had I can't complain though.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, Cynthia, I'm sorry to hear that! :grouphug:
I can certainly sympathize, having been there last year when dd was rushed to the same hospital. On the bright side, the doctors & nurses there during her stay & also during her follow up appointments were always caring and kind to her. I hope that your ds recovers as quickly & painlessly as possible. Good luck to him during finals week!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ds returned to campus yesterday and had his follow-up with the orthopedic surgeon today. MRI looks great with no torn cartilage and no alignment problems - was probably just a fluke thing. Yay! Very relieved. He must continue to wear the brace for five more weeks. He has to take it easy for this next week, but then he can do anything he wants after that as long as he is wearing the brace.

We very much enjoyed having ds home for Spring Break. It really was good to be able to lay eyes on him after his dislocated kneecap. Overall, I found this break more enjoyable than the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. Some friends were off and home at the same time, but because not all the friends had a coinciding spring break, he seemed to have a bit more time for us. :) Plus, less hub-bub without the holidays. I've also come to terms with how much sleeping to expect!

Winter quarter grades were good, too!

• Like 9