Menu

DH told me to pick out a new bathtub for the master bathroom

DawnM

😄

I will say I haaaaaate my jetted tub. It's really hard to keep the system clean. I wish I had a large soaker tub with no jets.

We have a jetted tub right now.  The only time it is an issue is if we put soap in it.  This wouldn't be for actually cleaning up, this would just have hot water in it for soaking, maybe some epsom.

Wouldn't you have to sit in the tub and get cold while the water drains out enough to open the door?

I would go for a deep soaker tub......one that ALL of me can soak at once without the "girls" bobbing around.

No, it drains in less than 2 min.

I have a deep soaker tub.  I want a seat and something to lean back against.  A regular tub my back starts hurting from not being able to lean against anything.

I have THIS tub and I love it. The water goes up to my shoulders without draining the hot water heater or taking five years to fill. http://t.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Greek-4-ft-Reversible-Drain-Acrylic-Soaking-Tub-in-White-K-1490-X-0/100027218?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CBase&gclid=Cj0KEQiAreilBRDzrNfb6uqX4fwBEiQAk-MRY80A9uiNnqZUgJb1mqxIt_qVu6e8smdRaX09_VuA1IAaArMX8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

It fits in 4 feet of space and gets deep with less water than the giant jacuzzi tubs. I use it all the time in the winter. I have been known to play a movie on my ipad while soaking. I love it, and because there's 'a' tub in the house, the larger bathroom was converted into a big accessible shower where a normal-sized tub used to be.

I have THIS tub and I love it. The water goes up to my shoulders without draining the hot water heater or taking five years to fill. http://t.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Greek-4-ft-Reversible-Drain-Acrylic-Soaking-Tub-in-White-K-1490-X-0/100027218?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CBase&gclid=Cj0KEQiAreilBRDzrNfb6uqX4fwBEiQAk-MRY80A9uiNnqZUgJb1mqxIt_qVu6e8smdRaX09_VuA1IAaArMX8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

It fits in 4 feet of space and gets deep with less water than the giant jacuzzi tubs. I use it all the time in the winter. I have been known to play a movie on my ipad while soaking. I love it, and because there's 'a' tub in the house, the larger bathroom was converted into a big accessible shower where a normal-sized tub used to be.

Link doesn't work?

This is exactly the tub I want!

We put a tv over the foot of the tub... I mentioned it as a joke and DH and BIL (our contractor) ran with it. We were moving the Directv box and Blu-Ray into the closet anyway, and it was on the other side of the wall from the perfect place for the tv. DH found a crazy cheap open box deal on a cheap flat screen the perfect size. Our tub has heated backs so the water stays warm forever. <3.

Sorry the link doesn't work. It works on my ipad :-/

This is exactly the tub I want!

It's a nice option if you have a teensy bathroom with only a shower stall or if you're trying to squeeze a tub and a separate shower stall into a medium-sized bathroom. I got the one without jets. It has a curved back and a little pillow that attaches to it. A movie would have to be really loud to hear it over a jacuzzi, but you could always use waterproof speakers :-) Personally I'd love one of those bedrooms where a fireplace is in the wall between the tub and the master bedroom.

We put a tv over the foot of the tub... I mentioned it as a joke and DH and BIL (our contractor) ran with it. We were moving the Directv box and Blu-Ray into the closet anyway, and it was on the other side of the wall from the perfect place for the tv. DH found a crazy cheap open box deal on a cheap flat screen the perfect size. Our tub has heated backs so the water stays warm forever. <3.

Wait, what? Heated backs? I need a link!!!!!!

:D

We're going to re-do our master bathroom within two years. I need a deep tub!!!! Right now we just have an extra large shower with some wasted space, and the kids' bathroom has a standard tub/shower combo which is NOT deep enough for soaking.

I need to soak! With jets! And wine! And a book! And no one bothering me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I think that's more exclamation marks than I use in an entire week :lol:)

Wait, what? Heated backs? I need a link!!!!!!

:D

We're going to re-do our master bathroom within two years. I need a deep tub!!!! Right now we just have an extra large shower with some wasted space, and the kids' bathroom has a standard tub/shower combo which is NOT deep enough for soaking.

I need to soak! With jets! And wine! And a book! And no one bothering me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I think that's more exclamation marks than I use in an entire week :lol:)

It's an MTI tub, but other brands have the option. My phone is possessed tonight and isn't letting me copy links.

😄

I will say I haaaaaate my jetted tub. It's really hard to keep the system clean. I wish I had a large soaker tub with no jets.

Jetted tubs are one home feature that have been waning in consumer desirability. (Dh is a contractor.) I barely use mine. Our hot water is generated by a wood-burning furnace, so we do not have never-ending hot water. (Sometimes we have NO hot water, if the fire went out in the night.) I have rarely been able to fully fill the tub with warm (nevermind hot) water, so a tubby is not really worthwhile to me. When we build our next house, I am strongly considering having no tub in the master, just a big shower.

Jetted tubs are one home feature that have been waning in consumer desirability. (Dh is a contractor.) I barely use mine. Our hot water is generated by a wood-burning furnace, so we do not have never-ending hot water. (Sometimes we have NO hot water, if the fire went out in the night.) I have rarely been able to fully fill the tub with warm (nevermind hot) water, so a tubby is not really worthwhile to me. When we build our next house, I am strongly considering having no tub in the master, just a big shower.

We're remodeling our master and we're hoping to put in a walk-in shower with no tub. We never use it and it is just one more thing to clean.

If you're planning to sell so soon, I wouldn't do the one you linked.  I would take re-sell into consideration instead. 

oh, I am not getting it......I was just dreaming!  A seat with a back is a dream of mine with a tub.  I am short, so if I lean back, I will just swish right under the water.  It is never comfortable to sit in the tub for me.

We're remodeling our master and we're hoping to put in a walk-in shower with no tub. We never use it and it is just one more thing to clean.

Same here, we're in the middle of a DIY remodel. Our master bath only had a shower to start with, but there's room for a tub if we want one. We decided to stay with just a shower. 

We had a tub like that put into my parents bathroom after my mother broke her hip. It was an interesting experience. 

Think long and hard before you do this. There are things you need to know. 

It does not drain in two minutes, even though it was advertised as such. It's more like 5-7 minutes, and that's with having a large, dedicated drain pipe installed just for this purpose. Yes, it gets cold waiting. 

The doors to their bedroom and their bathroom had to be widened so that the bathtub could be moved in - it is wider than the previous doorways. Because of this, the carpet had to be repaired, which means there is now a corner of their closet that doesn't have carpet. Then there was the paint job that was required, and at the fact that the bathroom floor had to be tiled at the same time because the installation damaged the linoleum. Oh, the bathroom walls had to be repaired as well as the new tub doesn't go up the wall as far as the old one. They chose to have the walls tiled at this time as well. 

They are very difficult to clean. You pretty much have to get into the tub to clean it.

Both of my parents appreciate the jets - it helps their arthritis considerably. 

If we had to do it all over again, we would probably opt for installing a shower stall with a seat instead, although some of the complications would still be in place. It's a much more affordable solution. 

I agree with others, though. If you are thinking of moving, don't do this. We did this about five years ago with the hope that my parents would be able o remain in their home as they age. It can then be sold as an accessible home because of other changes that were made as far as grab rails, adding a main floor laundry (in addition to the basement laundry) and so forth. The only thing we haven't done is to lower the kitchen counters so that they are wheelchair accessible. We probably won't do that at this point because they aren't able to cook for themselves any longer do to other mobility issues surrounding their arthritis.  My mom has gotten forgetful, so we did get a stove that has an oven that turns off after it is "unattended" for a period of time - two hours, I think? I can't remember if it automatically turns off the burners as well. It is hard to know if the tub would appeal to someone who doesn't need it for accessibility reasons, though. 

TechWife, my DH is a master plumber and a contractor. He does not recommend those showers at all. His family recently remodeled MIL's bathroom so that there is no tub at all; just a large accessible shower.

TechWife, my DH is a master plumber and a contractor. He does not recommend those showers at all. His family recently remodeled MIL's bathroom so that there is no tub at all; just a large accessible shower.

What does he think about the showers that don't have a "lip" on the bottom so you can roll a chair in? Does he just recommend a regular shower and then the use of a separate shower chair? The reason I'm wondering is because all of the showers at the rehab hospital had built in seats in the back of them. 

What does he think about the showers that don't have a "lip" on the bottom so you can roll a chair in? Does he just recommend a regular shower and then the use of a separate shower chair? The reason I'm wondering is because all of the showers at the rehab hospital had built in seats in the back of them.

We have a roll in shower. For a while we used the seat and the roll in feature didn't matter. Now we fold up the seat and roll a shower chair in.