Menu

How much does a free horse cost?

This gets a little crazy towards the end; but, sadly, I know someone who had this happen to him. The earlier part, probably all of us horse people have been through!

A friend gives you a horse.................0

Brushes, buckets, ropes, etc............50.00

Tack..........................................450.00

You build a small shelter...............$750.00

You fence in a paddock................$450.00

Boots........................................$200.00

Lessons (for a year)..................$1,200.00

Clinic.........................................$800.00

Vet bills.....................................$800.00

Buy a small truck to haul hay....$13,000.00

Buy a two horse trailer..............$5,000.00

Saddle doesn't fit. Need another..1,000.00

Try another bit............................$.50.00

Try another bit.............................$75.00

Try another bit...........................$100.00

Vet bills....................................$1000.00

Chiropractor (for horse)................$500.00

Chiropractor (for rider)..................$500.00

Riding clothes..............................$500.00

Show fees..................................$500.00

Buy second horse.....................$2,500.00

Build larger shelter with storage...$4,000.00

More fencing............................$2,200.00

Buy 3rd horse...........................$3,500.00

Buy 4 horse trailer...................$17,500.00

Buy larger truck......................$23,000.00

Buy 4 acres next door............$100,000.00

More fencing...........................$2,500.00

Build small barn......................$18,000.00

Buy camper for truck................$9,000.00

Buy tractor...........................$23,000.00

Buy 4th and 5th horse..............$6,500.00

Buy 20 more acres................$400,000.00

Build house on property.........$285,000.00

Build barn.............................$60,000.00

More fencing and corrals.........$24,000.00

Build covered exercise arena..$182,000.00

Buy gooseneck with living qtrs.$45,000.00

Buy 6th,7th,&8th horse..........$27,750.00

Hire full time trainer...............$50,000.00

Build house for trainer...........$102,000.00

Lawyer-wife leaving w/trainer..$45,000.00

Declare bankruptcy, wife gets everything

Friend feels sorry for you...gives you a horse

• 1 year later...
Guest sema01

In simple terms, the monthly cost of a horse is $200 to $400. However, please see discussion below for when the figure can be much more.

The main determinants of cost are:

• Location. Stabling can be 3 times as expensive in one area as in another. A low figure is $200/month but in many areas can be up to $600. Likewise, many other costs (food, bedding) are area dependent.
  • How you keep your horse. Professional-stable (start $200/month), Self-stable ($100/month for bedding and food), Pasture (cheapest option).
  • What you do with your horse. A retired horse is relatively cheap. Using a horse for riding, shows, competitions increases costs (e.g. vet fees, iron shoes, transport, overnight stalls, increased wear on saddle/tack/clothes).

A good starting point is to use an online horse cost calculator, and plug in the figures according to your personal circumstances.

The big unknown is vet costs. A bad case of colic or serious injury can set you back thousands. Consider medical insurance --- it isn't cheap but at least you are covered against the worst.

Cute, but it only costs us $500 per pony per year to raise ours... (on average). We know because we have all the expenses figured out on our taxes - and have for the past 13 years.

Of course, we already have the fences, barn, truck, trailer, tack, most grooming supplies, pasture, etc, etc, etc, and don't bother with clinics, showing, training ('cept to sell, then the sales price offsets the training), or alimony. :) We also do the majority of the vet work ourselves only needing the vet for rabies shots, gelding, and emergencies.

MOST years the ponies break even - meaning what we get for sales offsets the cost to raise them all (ours and our 'breeding to sell' stock).

Now if you go back to when I was eight... and begged my parents for those first two ponies... THEN the cost was far more than the $200 they paid for ponies + tack - 'cause they did have to put up the fence and barn then start lessons for us three years later, etc... so it all depends on where one starts and what one plans to do.

Yes, the costs can vary greatly.

Our free horse costs us quite a bit. He is 31 and came to us 1 1/2 years ago with 3 legs in the grave--severely underweight, etc.

He is on a senior feed that runs about $100/month. Then he eats some hay (we have very limited pasture right now so have to depend on hay). He is on a few supplements, esp. one for his ulcers.

His vet bills have added up with a mild colic and an ulcer call along with the reg. vet stuff.

Farrier just cost $150 to get 4 special shoes put on him--including pads.

Tack was not bad as what we had fit him. Dd did need a new helmet but would have no matter what horse she was riding as her old one was too small.

Equine dentist didn't cost us a thing as he doesn't have teeth left (why we need $100 in senior feed a month). Chiropractor is $45 every 4-6 months.

We don't show him so there is no cost there but we all take lessons which runs $20-30/week for the 3 of us.

When shopping for a horse things like condition of their feet (will they need shoes or boots), condition of their teeth (can they eat hay or will they need a senior complete feed), how easy they are to saddle fit, etc. really does impact the future cost of owning them. A horse that is easy to saddle fit that can eat hay/pasture and go barefoot is going to cost a lot less per year than a horse that needs a different saddle, senior feed, and shoes/boots.

Guest sema01

Creekland,

This is a really low price and I don't think most people are in the same position as you.

However, have you factored in depreciation? If your fencing is 13 years old, it will need to be replaced at some point. For an accurate figure one needs to take the replacement cost and divide it by the number of years it is good for, to get a per-year figure.

Also, all the other facilities (barn, stall, etc.) and equipment (trailor, tractor and so on) should have a replacement cost factored in to get an accurate figure.

Even then, I suspect you will come in well under the cost of people who do not have the land, not the skill/time to do almost everything themselves. Which goes back to my point that it really depends on circumstances.

Creekland,

This is a really low price and I don't think most people are in the same position as you.

However, have you factored in depreciation? If your fencing is 13 years old, it will need to be replaced at some point. For an accurate figure one needs to take the replacement cost and divide it by the number of years it is good for, to get a per-year figure.

Also, all the other facilities (barn, stall, etc.) and equipment (trailor, tractor and so on) should have a replacement cost factored in to get an accurate figure.

Even then, I suspect you will come in well under the cost of people who do not have the land, not the skill/time to do almost everything themselves. Which goes back to my point that it really depends on circumstances.

Of course we figure in depreciation. We don't really care to pay more in taxes than needed... Most of our fence won't ever need replacing though. When we put up new stuff we use/used HDPE recycled fencing - never needs replacing nor painting and can take many good kicks without breaking... That year the ponies did cost us a few thousand more, but the pay off comes every year since.

We don't do our own hay, so no longer even own a tractor. We do have land we let the neighbor hay... and get some of that in trade for his labor. Other 'fix it' costs for the barn and sheds comes in under our farm expenses and is added into our taxes, so is included in our figures. We buy wormers in bulk, ditto shots (except rabies which must be done by a vet), and we do our own feet most of the time. Since we sell ours by 3 or 4 years of age, they seldom need their teeth done ('cept our older broodmares and stallion). We buy grain at a local feed mill, so it's cheaper than commercial feeds but still good (local race horse farms use the same mill).

And yes, I'm sure we do come in lower than many people - but the original (joke) was also much higher than the vast majority of people. Part of my point of posting our costs was to show your final point - that people need to consider their own circumstances. We are in an ideal place to own and breed ponies - hence why we're in that niche.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Well, my brother's free horse is going to cost him a life time of aches and pains. The horse was ornery and full of mischief. It threw him . Thankfully, he only broke his collar bone (in 3 places). Now he has a metal rod in his body that hurts in cold weather. He almost lost his job because of all the time out of work. The horse is now someone else's free horse.

Well, my brother's free horse is going to cost him a life time of aches and pains. The horse was ornery and full of mischief. It threw him . Thankfully, he only broke his collar bone (in 3 places). Now he has a metal rod in his body that hurts in cold weather. He almost lost his job because of all the time out of work. The horse is now someone else's free horse.

That's definitely the worst kind of free horse! Most horse people will freely tell others the purchase price is the least expensive part of a horse... partially because when a horse is free, there are often issues of some sort that go with it - temperament or extra care needed.

Really good horses (or ponies) have value even in a poor economy.

As with anything else, just buying an expensive critter doesn't guarantee a great temperament or show ability either, but it's got a better chance than taking on a free one. The best idea is to have knowledge first - or go shopping with someone that has...

Creekland, does your farm have a website? Your ponies sound awesome. My daughter wants a pony so badly but it would never happen because she's about 10 feet tall and her feet would drag on the ground. Seriously, she only looks good on something at least 16.1 hands!

Our free horse costs us about $200 a month and that includes board that we actually don't pay for (in cash) because we clean stalls at the barn in exchange. Even though having our horse is a stretch for me, I wouldn't change a thing because this horse has become like a third daughter to me. What she has taught my daughter in so many ways is more than I could ever ask for. She can't do everything we'd like her to do because of an old bone chip in her knee from her racing days, but we would never, ever, ever get rid of her because of that. She truly loves us and it's evident every single time we go to the barn. You can't put a price tag on that! So, yes, some free horses are expensive but very, very worth it!

There's a woman who lives nearby who regularly takes a dozen show horses, their trainers, vets, and other support staff on tours of Europe, visiting various shows throughout the continent over a period of about two months.

I can't think that would be particularly cheap.

Our free horse costs us quite a bit. He is 31 and came to us 1 1/2 years ago with 3 legs in the grave--severely underweight, etc.

Awwwww.

I love old horses.

They recover so quickly when loved because they have been through so much that KNOW a good thing when they finally have it!

Wow! Your ponies must eat a lot less then my QH's and/or you have some nice pasture. Either way, I am jealous that your expenses are so low. We figure about $2000 per horse per year.

Both of your thoughts are true. Ponies do eat less than horses both in feed and in hay/grass. It also costs less to worm them, but that cost is minor compared to the feed. And, we do have really nice pastures that we use from mid April till October or November... We generally have to restrict their pasture time or they'd get fat/founder/ or colic.

That said, my hardest keeper is a TB cross... She's worth the extra feed, etc., as her babies are probably my best. This year's colt is simply stunning both in looks and movement - and he has a brain. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do under saddle in 3 years. If he pays off like I think he will, he'll pay for several of my others upkeep - once we cash in on the investment. He has an older sister that will go into training next year as a 3 year old. She's as superb as he is - and palomino instead of bay, but has more of a TB brain (sigh). I'm hoping she'll mature as she ages. Her looks/movement/color with a brain would be like gold. Actually, if she'd had a brain (meaning nice easy going temperament instead of flighty), she'd have already been sold as everyone asks about her... but I insist on ponies like her only going to knowledgeable trainers... NOT someone looking for a 'basic' prospect.

But I digress... back on the topic, I suspect my $500/year and your $2000/year gives people a good range of the cost of keeping an equine at their own property without doing a bunch of high level shows, etc. If one is boarding or doing expensive showing, then the costs would be a bit higher.

Both of your thoughts are true. Ponies do eat less than horses both in feed and in hay/grass. It also costs less to worm them, but that cost is minor compared to the feed. And, we do have really nice pastures that we use from mid April till October or November... We generally have to restrict their pasture time or they'd get fat/founder/ or colic.

That said, my hardest keeper is a TB cross... She's worth the extra feed, etc., as her babies are probably my best. This year's colt is simply stunning both in looks and movement - and he has a brain. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do under saddle in 3 years. If he pays off like I think he will, he'll pay for several of my others upkeep - once we cash in on the investment. He has an older sister that will go into training next year as a 3 year old. She's as superb as he is - and palomino instead of bay, but has more of a TB brain (sigh). I'm hoping she'll mature as she ages. Her looks/movement/color with a brain would be like gold. Actually, if she'd had a brain (meaning nice easy going temperament instead of flighty), she'd have already been sold as everyone asks about her... but I insist on ponies like her only going to knowledgeable trainers... NOT someone looking for a 'basic' prospect.

But I digress... back on the topic, I suspect my $500/year and your $2000/year gives people a good range of the cost of keeping an equine at their own property without doing a bunch of high level shows, etc. If one is boarding or doing expensive showing, then the costs would be a bit higher.

Ahhh...fat ponies on pasture. One can only dream around these parts!!

I so understand the TB brain. We've had a few around here and most of my broodmares have TB very close up on their papers as we breed primarily for barrel horse prospects. I have a cremello stud that is very very cowy and I am hoping when bred to my crazy hot headed sorrel mares will give me nice level headed fast running palominos. Of course, this year with my stud was a total bust. We went 0 for 3 with him and I am facing the next several months with 3 open broodmares. Not a good proposition and also doesn't help bring down my $2000 number!

Creekland, does your farm have a website? Your ponies sound awesome. My daughter wants a pony so badly but it would never happen because she's about 10 feet tall and her feet would drag on the ground. Seriously, she only looks good on something at least 16.1 hands!

Our free horse costs us about $200 a month and that includes board that we actually don't pay for (in cash) because we clean stalls at the barn in exchange. Even though having our horse is a stretch for me, I wouldn't change a thing because this horse has become like a third daughter to me. What she has taught my daughter in so many ways is more than I could ever ask for. She can't do everything we'd like her to do because of an old bone chip in her knee from her racing days, but we would never, ever, ever get rid of her because of that. She truly loves us and it's evident every single time we go to the barn. You can't put a price tag on that! So, yes, some free horses are expensive but very, very worth it!

We used to pay for a website, but once we started sending the majority of our youngsters out to train/sell we stopped it. I keep hearing from people who google it and have it come up, but it's been years since we've updated it, so the ponies on there will have changed a bit... to say the least! I don't even think I have an adult picture of our stallion on it...

Our other sales come from the basic advertising sites (horsetopia.com is my favorite - I try to keep one or two on there, but definitely not all we have for sale) and word of mouth from trainers, etc., when they know someone that wants a prospect to start. We mainly sell young ponies - from weaning to not yet started under saddle. The web site tended to bring in people with little or no horse experience who wanted to buy a young pony for their daughter to grow up with. That's not a good idea for the pony or the daughter...

Your free horse sounds like a gem! When I was in 10th grade and had to board my horse in southern FL for a year I worked as a groom in exchange for part of the board. It was a superb experience... and I got to ride a lot of high class ponies (to school them - they weren't mine) as well as clean the stalls, do turnout, etc.

Medical issue free horses are worth it for the right people and I'm always glad when they get good homes. The scary ones are those with temperament issues. On a pony board I'm on we just got word of a 'rescue' horse that kicked the owner's son and sent him to the hospital... I don't know the specifics in this case, but I do know there are too many people that read Black Beauty or watch Spirit and assume all a horse needs is love. The problem comes when the horse hasn't read the same book or seen the same movie... Just my two cents...

Reading threads like these is an education for me! :lol: I know little about the reality of horses. Wolf (dh) knows more, thank heavens, but even his knowledge isn't as complete as it could/should be for what we hope to do. Once we finally get our acreage, hopefully in the next cpl of years (the sooner the better, but working on savings, building credit, and waiting on God's time) we plan to get a horse for Wolf, one for Diva, and then likely a pony for the Littles. My stance is that NO horse for Diva until she's had complete lessons for at least 6 mths...and by complete lessons, I mean COMPLETE...ones that include nose to tail to hoof care of the horse, not just riding. Care of tack and stall. After that, I'm hoping that we'll have built enough of a relationship with SOMEONE at the stable to throw myself at their mercy and drag them along horse hunting. :lol:

Ahhh...fat ponies on pasture. One can only dream around these parts!!

I so understand the TB brain. We've had a few around here and most of my broodmares have TB very close up on their papers as we breed primarily for barrel horse prospects. I have a cremello stud that is very very cowy and I am hoping when bred to my crazy hot headed sorrel mares will give me nice level headed fast running palominos. Of course, this year with my stud was a total bust. We went 0 for 3 with him and I am facing the next several months with 3 open broodmares. Not a good proposition and also doesn't help bring down my $2000 number!

Yes, we have to work to KEEP from having fat ponies on pasture... in the spring and summer anyway. By fall it's generally not an issue.

With regards to your stud... have you had him checked? It won't help with the $2000 figure... but if there's an issue... Otherwise, you're right, those definitely isn't a good year!

We semi-pasture breed (just semi as I like firm dates) and have never had a problem with conception. Rarely a mare will lose one, but those things happen.

Reading threads like these is an education for me! :lol: I know little about the reality of horses. Wolf (dh) knows more, thank heavens, but even his knowledge isn't as complete as it could/should be for what we hope to do. Once we finally get our acreage, hopefully in the next cpl of years (the sooner the better, but working on savings, building credit, and waiting on God's time) we plan to get a horse for Wolf, one for Diva, and then likely a pony for the Littles. My stance is that NO horse for Diva until she's had complete lessons for at least 6 mths...and by complete lessons, I mean COMPLETE...ones that include nose to tail to hoof care of the horse, not just riding. Care of tack and stall. After that, I'm hoping that we'll have built enough of a relationship with SOMEONE at the stable to throw myself at their mercy and drag them along horse hunting. :lol:

You sound like one smart future equine mama!!

We've got it easy. Plenty of pasture for them to graze even in the winter, unless there's snow on the ground. And grain bins full of feed that hub mixes for the cattle, and I can tweak for the horses.

Our biggest expense from our horses is probably tack.

I had to figure this out for real just a little while ago, and I figured that mine cost about $4500 per year. And that is for one horse and one miniature donkey, both easy keepers, both healthy, both on our own land, but not enough pasture (so we have to supplement hay and grain). This includes routine vet care, farrier, and occasional lessons. I did not include the mortgage for the land or the taxes on the land. Nor did I include the much-beloved trailer I bought this year!! Just direct horse expenses. And, of course, just an estimate.

The reason I had to calculate this -- LOL! -- is because somebody offered me a free horse! Which is where this thread started! How much would a free horse cost? And could we afford one? LOL!

Ha! I could write a similar one about the free baby bunny we got a few months ago! Our list would be more along the lines of replacing chewed furniture and school books as well as the bigger cage, the different food choices, and so on. I never knew free cost so much!

You sound like one smart future equine mama!!

Awww, thank you! :blushing: I'll also be bugging the heck outta the Hive when the time comes no doubt, in how to tell a 'good' stable from a 'bad' stable for riding lessons, lol! And tack...and heaven knows what else!

One thing at a time though...and the acreage comes first! :lol: