Menu

Uprooting family to become vp

It is hard not to be excited about such a vivacious, capable woman on the ticket with fuddy-duddy, but also capable McCain (for whom I will vote). But, has anybody read anything about what a move to Washington could do to Palin's lovely, very much settled in their community family? That's what I'm wondering about...I would love to hear her thinking process in deciding to run. She is obviously patriotic enough to want to serve her country in whatever way she is able, but, but, but...at what cost to her family? Or can a vp tele-commute?

Incidently, I have just begun to work full-time for the first time in my mommy years, and I am terrified that I will not be able to be for my family what I have been in the past (and wish to remain). Well, maybe not terrified, but definitely sad that I have had to, in a sense, give up my at home life...and hope and pray that the kids will be alright (even if the house is not).

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know but we just recently visited Washington DC and I told my dh it would be a wonderful place to live for a few years because of all the free field trips one could take every day. The Smithsonian would be someplace one could go to once a week and enjoy. The Art museums are fantastic too.

Why not ask this question about any of the men in the race? They have families too.

My take on it is that only Sarah Palin, and her husband, can say what is best for Sarah Palin's children. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she has considered the impact on her family.

Moving them to DC wouldn't faze me in the least. The part I wonder about is caring for a newborn (and a special needs one at that), while taking on a position like VP. That sounds pretty overwhelming to me...

But the move to DC? Maybe it's because I moved repeatedly as a child, or because I wouldn't blink at the idea of moving my kids to a place I considered full of interest and opportunity... That part wouldn't bother me at all.

It's just the ages and needs of her younger children that cause me to wonder how she'd manage -- how *they*'d manage... But I suppose her dh will be a full-time dad during that time?

Who's to say that living in the same community for their entire chidlhood is what's best for the children? What about new and different experiences, broadening their view, gaining a larger perspective of life? These kids are going to have an amazing adventure...one that the rest of us can only dream about! I, for one, am jealous!

Well, it's not just Palin. Maybe this topic comes to mind because she is a woman, but all of them have kids. McCain has a 16 yr old still in school in Arizona. I'm not sure he would move her since they chose to keep her in school there while he's in the senate, and during the campaign (she's being watched by her soon to be SIL at the McCain home). Obama also has two small children that would be uprooted. People move all the time, I think kids adjust fine as long as they have help from a close family. Which I think we can agree, all the candidates seem to have. I wouldn't hesitate to move my kids to DC for 4-8 years if we had the chance, talk about a learning opportunity!

I guess I think this is a non-issue.

Melissa

Great point about living in DC from a cultural standpoint, I mean, Frontier mom.

Mama Lynx, I was in no way implying that the Palins haven't thought through the impact on their family. Your post seems a bit snarky, and I am not gonna go there....but what I was asking was a question...has anyone read about the process she has gone through in thinking this through, or what their plans are in terms of a move to DC? Because I am ever curious. And know what up-rooting deep-rootedness has done in my life.

I haven't asked the question about men because I am not a man and I don't look at this from the perspective of a father, but from that of a mother.

And I imagine, as VP, she'll have tons of help not to mention the best medical care and resources money can buy.

Yes, but no *time*. And it's hard to deal with medical stuff when one doesn't have all sorts of *time*...

I'm sure she and her husband know what they're doing / plan to do. I'm just saying it sure doesn't sound easy! ;)

great point.

Well, it's not just Palin. Maybe this topic comes to mind because she is a woman, but all of them have kids. McCain has a 16 yr old still in school in Arizona. I'm not sure he would move her since they chose to keep her in school there while he's in the senate, and during the campaign (she's being watched by her soon to be SIL at the McCain home). Obama also has two small children that would be uprooted. People move all the time, I think kids adjust fine as long as they have help from a close family. Which I think we can agree, all the candidates seem to have. I wouldn't hesitate to move my kids to DC for 4-8 years if we had the chance, talk about a learning opportunity!

I guess I think this is a non-issue.

Melissa

Thanks for responding, Melissa, but I was not raising an issue, I was asking a question.

Moving them to DC wouldn't faze me in the least. The part I wonder about is caring for a newborn (and a special needs one at that), while taking on a position like VP. That sounds pretty overwhelming to me...

But the move to DC? Maybe it's because I moved repeatedly as a child, or because I wouldn't blink at the idea of moving my kids to a place I considered full of interest and opportunity... That part wouldn't bother me at all.

It's just the ages and needs of her younger children that cause me to wonder how she'd manage -- how *they*'d manage... But I suppose her dh will be a full-time dad during that time?

:iagree:

I wonder if you would consider this if she was a man? I don't remember hearing others being concerned about a man's family having to transfer for his job. I'm sure she's discussed it with her family and they decided together to go for it.

Again, I wasn't being concerned, I was being curious and asking a question.

Why is everybody so touchy?

FWIW, catalinkel, I understand your asking this about Palin without mentioning the other families represented on the ticket. It's not that you aren't appreciative that they, too, will face disruption to their normal lives. It's just that you *identify* with the unique impact of *mom* being the one who is taking the position in DC. You know, uncharted waters in American History and all that! :-D (Certainly, correct me if I'm wrong! I just wanted to say that....I understand. :-)

FWIW, catalinkel, I understand your asking this about Palin without mentioning the other families represented on the ticket. It's not that you aren't appreciative that they, too, will face disruption to their normal lives. It's just that you *identify* with the unique impact of *mom* being the one who is taking the position in DC. You know, uncharted waters in American History and all that! :-D (Certainly, correct me if I'm wrong! I just wanted to say that....I understand. :-)

Thanks for seeking to understand. But, again, I was asking from the mommy perspective, not the daddy one. And because McCain and Biden have been doing the DC thing already, I figured they have figured out a way to do it well. And Michelle Obama has been with the kiddos for much of the campaigning time, so they have that covered from what I can tell. But from what I can tell, Palin's jobs have been local, and I didn't hear about extended family helping out, or that her husband becoming full time daddy at home was one of the choices.

Again, I was wanting information, asking a question, not passing judgement. at all.

Again, I wasn't being concerned, I was being curious and asking a question.

Why is everybody so touchy?

Honestly, you opened up a conversation and then you have reacted strongly to posts within the thread. I am not sure why you are reacting the way you are, but nobody is being touchy here. It's just a conversation, nobody is judging anyone, or accusing anyone of judging, or being snarky....it is just a conversation.

That must be the plan. I wonder if a nanny might be employed as well?

Even at that, I feel like she will find a way to still be a very hands on mom, she just strikes me that way.

I would not/could not do it, though. I would not give up my life to be VP or even Pres.

Empress of the World, now that I would be willing to do. I would be a benevolent empress of course.

Great point about living in DC from a cultural standpoint, I mean, Frontier mom.

Mama Lynx, I was in no way implying that the Palins haven't thought through the impact on their family. Your post seems a bit snarky, and I am not gonna go there....but what I was asking was a question...has anyone read about the process she has gone through in thinking this through, or what their plans are in terms of a move to DC? Because I am ever curious. And know what up-rooting deep-rootedness has done in my life.

I haven't asked the question about men because I am not a man and I don't look at this from the perspective of a father, but from that of a mother.

Ah, I see. Yes, I mistook your question. I assumed you were passing judgment. In the last 24 hours I have read, and heard, all kinds of disparaging remarks about how Sarah Palin is a horrible mother to do this to her children - the things I've read have made me angry, and I assumed you were coming from that perspective.

And then also, it does irritate the heck out of me that so many people are asking how on earth she can juggle the family and the job, with the implication that it's a bad idea ... and you NEVER hear that question being asked of a male candidate. It makes me :willynilly:

But I do apologize for lumping you in with that, and responding to you based out of what was in my mind, and not to your actual, good question. Frankly, I'm fascinated too, from the mommy point of view, because I don't think I could do it. I think what she's doing is amazing. I would love to get a peek into her days to see how she manages. The demands of motherhood are so much on me, that I cannot fathom doing that kind of job, as well. She is inspiring.

Totally offi-topic: I read the article Jugglin5 posted. I bet sales of these shoes are going to go through the roof.

But in reality I'm running in 20-below temperatures, so I wear layers of fleece and always a good outdoor waterproof trail shoe. Right now I've been running in Nike Air Structure Triax.

What an adventure! I'd do it in a heartbeat....that is, if I were remotely qualified for VP (surprised McCain people didn't call ME!). I assume she'll have at least the kind of help dh & I had when Military moved us...someone else came in and packed up the whole house, drove the boxes/furniture to new house, placed boxes/furniture in correct room. Of course there will be issues, adjustments, etc., but isn't that what life and adventure are all about? I'm not downplaying the significance or "hardness" of the VP job, but she'll have MUCH more help (before, during & after the move) then, say, the mom who just took a job as VP of the local bank, or VP of Marketing firm, etc. Not to mention access to the best whatever available for whatever need arises. I'm sure her kids will have unique psychological needs, but so did the Chelsea & the Bush Twins and it seems as if they have adjusted.

I am so excited about this historic election....even though I'm not entirely sure who I'll vote for yet! Such great examples to hold up for my children on both sides.

Would it be fantastic, to have a woman VP with a SAHD as a husband?

I'm with you - moving does not phase us. DH and I were both military brats, and we have moved our family frequently. Kids are very adaptable.

It's her baby that I'm wondering about. And I'm curious. Does she nurse? I have heard that she carries him around with her. Is that true, and to what extent would she be able to continue that?

I know that she pumps. Do Down's syndrome babies usually have difficulties nursing? Does anyone know anything about this?

I'm with you - moving does not phase us. DH and I were both military brats, and we have moved our family frequently. Kids are very adaptable.

It's her baby that I'm wondering about. And I'm curious. Does she nurse? I have heard that she carries him around with her. Is that true, and to what extent would she be able to continue that?

Personally I would think it pretty awesome if she nursed in a cabinet meeting. Wouldn't that put a stop to those people who stopped that woman in Target (another thread a few weeks ago)

I am really interested in seeing how all the candidates balance family and work. I was facinated to learn that Biden travelled back to Wilmington every day.

Does anyone know what kind of child care she uses? Does she have a nanny or live-in nanny? Does she have a grandma that watches the kids/baby while mom & dad work? Child care facility?

She must have a strong support team to be able to return to work 3 days after her baby was born.

Her husband works, too, so they must have some kind of help.

I do think people are being touchy. You posed your questions in a very non-threatening, non-judgmental manner and many of the replies have been defensive, imo. Now, if I had raised the issue (not just asked questions, but raised the issue), people would have a right to respond defensively because I'll come right out and say I don't support Palin's choice to run.;-)

And then also, it does irritate the heck out of me that so many people are asking how on earth she can juggle the family and the job, with the implication that it's a bad idea ... and you NEVER hear that question being asked of a male candidate.

But you do understand why our nation is reacting in this manner, don't you?

So many of us have a difficult time imagining how other's lives run on a day to day basis.

We are used to seeing Mom caring for the kids while Dad brings in a paycheck. When Mom does the outside work, I think it's pretty natural for many of us to ask, "How is that going to work?" Or, "How will they manage?"

I assumed you were passing judgment...And then also, it does irritate the heck out of me that so many people are asking how on earth she can juggle the family and the job, with the implication that it's a bad idea ... and you NEVER hear that question being asked of a male candidate.

I do think it's a bad idea. Does that mean I'm passing judgment? I dunno. People are different and make different choices and that's all well and good. But if she was a friend who asked my advice on the subject, I'd offer my opinion and advise against running for V.P. Do I ask the same questions of a male candidate that I ask of a female candidate? No, not entirely.

I'm not voting for McCain-Palin, unless they suddenly become a lot more, well, like Democrats. ;)But I am horrified to read here, and other places, about her ability to be the VP with small children. HELLO- Barack Obama has small kids, too! Its 2008 for the love of pete!

I just need to stay the heck of the internet, because it really makes my blood boil. Poor woman is ****ed if she does (return to work in 3 days, carry the baby around=bad mother putting career first) and ****ed if she doesn't (taking maternity leave=unfit to lead because men don't).

I do think people are being touchy. You posed your questions in a very non-threatening, non-judgmental manner and many of the replies have been defensive, imo. Now, if I had raised the issue (not just asked questions, but raised the issue), people would have a right to respond defensively because I'll come right out and say I don't support Palin's choice to run.;-)

So...you're saying you're anti-woman? <-----please know that this is said to be FUNNY, Colleen. Kinda a tounge-in-cheek poke at stirring things up.

Personally, I can see both sides of the issue. I have been a SAHM, Full-time working mom & now part-time working mom. Each has its own special issues. I have also been internally driven to achieve my own career goals and balancing that with the needs of my kiddos/family life makes for some very tough choices that from the outside may not seem best, and maybe were not best, but we muddle through and live and learn and make decisions the best we can with the current situation/information.

I'm excited to see a woman achieve this kind of status, but also wonder about the family sacrifices.

We are used to seeing Mom caring for the kids while Dad brings in a paycheck. When Mom does the outside work, I think it's pretty natural for many of us to ask, "How is that going to work?" Or, "How will they manage?"

I suppose that's true if the Mom is the sole income-earner. But imo Mom caring for the kids while Dad brings in the paycheck isn't mainstream America any more.

I am horrified to read here, and other places, about her ability to be the VP with small children. HELLO- Barack Obama has small kids, too! Its 2008 for the love of pete!

I, for one, am aware of the calendar year ~ though the precise date often does escape me.;) I did not question her abilitiy to be the VP; I said I disagree with her choice to run for the office. And the fact that Obama has young children is playing a factor in my decision making process, too.

And, for the record, I worry about Obama family, as well. I personally know it is hard as a wife to give up career, home, familiar to support hubby's career decision. Not to mention the intense scrutiny from media/us. How can that be normal for any kids regardless of whether it is mom or dad who is the candidate. However, I don't think it is necessarily sacrificing family to pursue personal goals.

Could I be more "on the fence" about this issue? hmmmm....

So...you're saying you're anti-woman? <-----please know that this is said to be FUNNY, Colleen. Kinda a tounge-in-cheek poke at stirring things up.

Now be nice or this package I have sitting here may just go astray in the mail. (Kidding, of course!:D)

Personally, I can see both sides of the issue. I have been a SAHM, Full-time working mom & now part-time working mom. Each has its own special issues. I have also been internally driven to achieve my own career goals and balancing that with the needs of my kiddos/family life makes for some very tough choices that from the outside may not seem best, and maybe were not best, but we muddle through and live and learn and make decisions the best we can with the current situation/information.

I'm excited to see a woman achieve this kind of status, but also wonder about the family sacrifices.

I hear you. Our good friends who also happen to be the guardians of our children have "reversed" roles ~ she's the income earner, he's the stay-at-home parent. There are advantages and disadvantages to each path, I'm sure.

As many have even touched on, why do we even need to care how she is going to do this with a family, etc...? No one seems to have the same concerns for the male candidates kids and families. Michelle Obama doesn't strike me as the meek, stay at home and tend the children so her husband can be successful type. who is going to be looking after their kids? It's a done deal- she has obviously thought about it, discussed it with her family and decided that it is a good move and that they can handle it. I really don't think anyone that brings this up is REALLY concerned about her new baby/kids/family. they are just trying to plant doubts in people's minds about her as a candidate under the guise of concern so that they don't look bad for doing it, but it really is a hollow argument.

As many have even touched on, why do we even need to care how she is going to do this with a family, etc...?

We don't need to care. Perhaps there are things that you take into consideration prior to voting which are non-issues to me. A candidate's life choices play a role in my overall assessment of him/her. I consider all manner of things ~ first and foremost a candidate's agenda, voting record, etc ~ when casting my ballot, and family is one of those things.

No one seems to have the same concerns for the male candidates kids and families.

"Hi, my name is no one.":)

I really don't think anyone that brings this up is REALLY concerned about her new baby/kids/family. they are just trying to plant doubts in people's minds about her as a candidate

Your assessment is inaccurate.

I suppose that's true if the Mom is the sole income-earner. But imo Mom caring for the kids while Dad brings in the paycheck isn't mainstream America any more.

I didn't say it was mainstream America. I said it's something we're used to seeing.

I didn't say *You* would ask those questions, I said I think it's natural for *many of us* to ask.

I didn't say it was mainstream America. I said it's something we're used to seeing.

And I was saying since it's not so much mainstream America any more, it's not what we're used to seeing.

I didn't say *You* would ask those questions, I said I think it's natural for *many of us* to ask.

Ummm...okay. You referenced our nation and we and us, and since I'm part of that group, I tossed in my two cents.:)

Yes, I fully agree here. I think the move to DC would be terribly exciting and beneficial. But, I have strong opinions about combining a very high pressure/big time commitment career with a second spouse who has a career. Someone needs to be more available to the children. When one spouse must prioritize work over things that come up with family (ie. she can't very well leave for a pediatrician appointment when she has a meeting with the President...) then, IMNSHO, the other spouse needs to be completely available to the children.

I haven't heard anything at all about what their childcare plans are but I'd be terribly disappointed if her dh didn't step down from whatever he's doing right now and become a sahd, at least while his dw is in such a demanding career. And especially with an infant. And even more especially with a special needs infant.

It is hard not to be excited about such a vivacious, capable woman on the ticket with fuddy-duddy, but also capable McCain (for whom I will vote). But, has anybody read anything about what a move to Washington could do to Palin's lovely, very much settled in their community family? That's what I'm wondering about...I would love to hear her thinking process in deciding to run.

I don't know what it will to do her family...have no idea. I guess we can only see after a time. Things will change for this family, no doubt.

She is obviously patriotic enough to want to serve her country in whatever way she is able, but, but, but...at what cost to her family? Or can a vp tele-commute?

The thing is that we have come to a point in our culture where a woman is going to have to take that role, regardless. I don't think that it would work with someone older, I just don't.

And, no, I don't think the VP could telecommute, but who's to say she won't have plenty of time? I don't know what the life of a VP is like at all. I just don't. Obviously, her family has taken all this into account before she said yes. I doubt that this is a spur of the moment decision at all. She's a family mom and has thought about it. I dare say, she will work it out as that's her personality.

And for those who believe in God, who's to say that God has not raised her up for exactly this purpose. As I read the Old Testament, He did just this for many leaders of empires. Like I said that is my faith, I'm just sayin'. :001_smile:

Incidently, I have just begun to work full-time for the first time in my mommy years, and I am terrified that I will not be able to be for my family what I have been in the past (and wish to remain). Well, maybe not terrified, but definitely sad that I have had to, in a sense, give up my at home life...and hope and pray that the kids will be alright (even if the house is not).

I'm sorry that you are having to make this decision. It seems unfair, doesn't it? But, perhaps, if they do get in, maybe you can get back home to where you want to be.

It is hard not to be excited about such a vivacious, capable woman on the ticket with fuddy-duddy, but also capable McCain (for whom I will vote). But, has anybody read anything about what a move to Washington could do to Palin's lovely, very much settled in their community family? That's what I'm wondering about...I would love to hear her thinking process in deciding to run. She is obviously patriotic enough to want to serve her country in whatever way she is able, but, but, but...at what cost to her family? Or can a vp tele-commute?

I keep thinking to myself, what is Dick Cheney doing right now? He's probably at home with his family, you know? How often do we even SEE the man or know what his schedule is as VP? So I'm not ready to start worrying about Sarah Palin's family life yet. :) I think that as a tough family woman she'll *make* it work and get the kind of schedule that honors both her position and her husband and children. I think there's probably a level of flexibility for such a high office that can help make it work for her.

And you know what? Even without a special needs infant I think it would be pretty darn important to have ONE parent at home with the kids while the other is VP. Just adjusting and dealing with the media attention is going to take a whole lot of time, availability, and love. Not to mention the feelings and issues that may arise from having their mom be completely unavailable at times - probably much more so than she ever has before. Someone needs to be there every day when the need arises - there are just too many stresses, transitions, and situations where a nanny would not suffice.