Menu

How do you keep track of books read?

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I use Goodreads. I can log all of the books I read, and note when a book was a read aloud to my children.

I had my oldest dd set up an account, but she's terrible at keeping up with it. I am thinking of having my twins set up accounts as well. I like that it will show you everything you've read each year, and you can even set a goal, like read 50 books in 2015 and it will help you keep track.

When my kids were young & I sort of kept track in case we ever got "audited" (we live in a very hs friendly jurisdiction w/ no oversight. If there's a complaint, you have to be able to prove that you're providing an 'educational program' but you can define that however you want...) I just cut & pasted their library checkout lists from the library website. Books we owned were on their shelves and I could write the titles down if I ever needed them.

I don't keep track for myself. I see no point in it.

I use OneNote to record for ds. He's supposed to do it but eh well. It's a good record, and very simple. He looks at it and sometimes asks to reread.

This is for every book that ds reads. I have no requirement for school, although I do suggest certain books which I've researched to correlate with his revolving interests. He can refuse, which he has. But he's also read some and found them to be interesting.

Generally, I keep track on my blog through my Weekly Report. We often read more than is listed thought, because my kids are avid readers and often read a couple of books a week. For myself, I particiapted in the 52 books/ year thread, as posted reviews on my blog. I often review books/movies I read/watch, because I find that it gives me a better sense of what I've taken in and I remember it much better over time. 

I am perhaps the least organized person here, but making a librarything account for each child, and insisting that they log every book has been so useful.  I'm sure good reads is the same.  I can keep track of who has read what, make recommendations based on previous reads, and I use it to make sure that I don't buy books that have already been read.  Just the other day, another mom was bemoaning that her dd couldn't find anything she liked to read.  I pulled up the librarything account, and immediately gave her twenty recommendations!

I just write the titles down on a sheet of paper.  I will write beside the titles if they read it themselves ©, if it was an audio (A), or if I read it to them (P).  I keep the lists in a small 3 ring binder.  Not all titles get recorded (because I forget), but this is easy for us.

I write in a notebook what we did each day and include any read alouds and also any books my child is reading to me. I do not include any independent readers that she chooses herself - only ones I suggested or set for her to read as I cannot keep up with what she is reading anymore.

I log the books in DS7's 1st grade One Note notebook. I have 3 separate sections: one for family read-alouds, one for books he reads to himself, and a third for books he reads to me. I don't always remember to log every book, but I think it will be a fun tool to go back and see how his reading skills have progressed.

I just have a word doc for each of them and add books to the list as they finish.  I have categories for family read alouds, independent reads, assigned reading.  I find it helpful in responding to people's request for book lists for different ages/grades - I can just cut and paste exactly what we did, rather than trying to remember!  I've looked at One Note briefly, but not had the patience to try and figure it out.

For DS, I keep a list of books as a text file with date read(mo/yr), title, and author. I prepend a text code for independent reading and also list possible future books to read with either a tag for which of our local libraries or ILL has it or no tag. I also include comments about book series or other ideas with an arbitrary tag in the front that I can easily ignore.

I maintain all this using emacs on a text file and can then grep for books read in a given month or year or whatever. If I ever wanted to track it, I would add more tags for subjects or whatever. Probably not what anyone else is looking for ;) but it is lightweight and works better than a spreadsheet, database, or website for me.

ETA: At various points in the distant past, I have kept reading notebooks. I used a standard spiral or sewn binding note book and list date/title/author and 1-3 lines of commentary to trigger my memory of the content. I would sometimes use highlighters to mark books if there were multiple areas I was deeply exploring at the time. I only used the front of the pages. I used the backs to list either further thoughts, though I typically also kept a separate reading journal where I would write any comments beyond a few lines, or further reading suggestions from books on the facing pages. This was amazingly useful for me since some of my best readings have come from rabbit trails from the footnotes or bibliographies in other books. I would cross these suggestions out in pencil as I read them.