Menu

I'm out of light corn syrup in pecan pie can I substitute...

bettyandbob

I say yes, and so does Karo Syrup.

Can Karo light and dark corn syrups be interchanged in recipes?

Yes. Karo light and dark corn syrups perform similarly in recipes and can usually be used interchangeably. Recipes usually specify which type to use but the choice may be guided by personal preference. Typically, light corn syrup is used when a delicately sweet flavor is desired, such as in fruit sauces and jams. Karo light corn syrup is made with real vanilla.

Dark corn syrup is made with refiners' syrup, a type of molasses. With its more robust flavor and color, it is ideal for many baked goods.

Both Karo light and dark corn syrups, along with Karo pancake syrup, are ideal toppings for pancakes, waffles, French toast, and biscuits.

Karo Lite (reduced calorie) syrup can be substituted in many recipes calling for light or dark corn syrup, but is not recommended for cereal bars or candy making.

http://www.karosyrup.com/faq.html

I always use dark corn syrup. I accidentally used molasses instead of dark corn syrup one time when I brought pecan pie to a church event. That pie won a prize!

I, too, have used molasses when I ran out of corn syrup and had people rave about the pecan pie.  I have used both light and dark corn syrup in pecan pies--probably preferring to use dark

I remember the first time I ever made a pecan pie and it called for dark corn syrup I freaked out when they were baked becasue they were so dark! I thought I have burned them becasue they looked nothing like the commercial ones I had consumed before. LOL