Menu

Christmas baking

Luanne

My mother (age 77) is helping my daughter (age 26) make some fudge for Christmas.  My daughter hasn't cooked much so it is funny listening to my mother try to explain to her exactly what she needs to do.  I can't remember what else they were talking about making.

I told them that I would clean up when they are done and then went in to the computer and logged on.

Anyone else doing some Christmas cooking today?

It sounds like they are having fun!  And you'll get to enjoy it later.

We've done a lot of baking already this year, but I plan to bake a bit more because the kids are plowing through the goodies we've made thus far.

My favorite discovery: the 3 year old is a pro at dipping sunbutter balls in melted chocolate (we made sunbutter buckeyes).  We also found a great gluten free, dairy free, nut free rollout cookie recipe this year - that was so exciting.  

Overall, I didn't bake as much this year, just trying to simplify.  It's been a lesson in less is more, and surprisingly wonderful.  :)

I am thinking about thinking about it. Fallen a bit behind on things here. I need to make a list of what I'd like to bake, and then shop for the ingredients, and then get started. Hopefully before Christmas day actually arrives!

So far I am thinking of an Apple Pie (because son requested it), and a healthy version of a Raspberry Cheesecake (which I am hoping will look Christmassy).

I had also wanted to bake the pieces for a gingerbread house, but I am beginning to think that that opportunity might be slipping away from me.

Oh!  I forgot to add that we need to make chocolate chip cookies now as well.  DD and DS went to see Santa yesterday, and apparently he requested chocolate chip cookies on Christmas Eve.  I don't usually make those for Christmas, they're more of an everyday thing here, but if Santa says they are his favorite, you can bet we'll be leaving some out for him on Christmas Eve.  ;)

I bet that is a really sweet scene, OP.

Nothing today, because if we bake the cookies too early, they will all get eaten!  We'll prep and bake things on Christmas Eve. Molasses cookies mostly by Rebecca, pre-cut sugar cookies by Sylvia (right before  bed).  I will make a pecan pie, and Rebecca will help me prep sausage pinwheels for breakfast.

Spryte - can you share your recipe for the gf, df, nf cut outs? Thanks!!

Sure - it's from Betty Crocker.   :D

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-christmas-sugar-cookies/d3ab2026-54a3-4ff5-9c81-3f38b30acd89

I wrote a bit about it on another thread.  It's the first roll out cookie recipe I've found that has worked for us since being GF, DF and NF.  

In the last two weeks, I have baked about 40 dozen cookies. I am so over cookies!

Tomorrow I'm baking a cake. And the day after that a coffee cake. And then one more cake.

My stand mixer and I are no longer on speaking terms, and I think the oven sighed when I walked past before. But we have lots of treats to enjoy (and to share!)!

I've got sugar cookie dough chilling in the fridge, and I'm hoping to surprise DH with some snickerdoodles (his favorite!) by the time he gets home from work.  Right now, I feel like I should make at least another batch of cookies, but I'll see how I feel after decorating the cutouts with the toddler!

That is a lot of Buckeyes! (Can't make them here -- wrong Big Ten team, ROTFL!)

I've made a bunch of cookies, and I made a second batch of peanut butter kisses and a batch of macaroons today. I pulled three kinds out of the freezer so I can put the chocolate drizzles on them (caramel filled chocolate cookies, triple chocolate brownie cookies, and mint chocolate dreams). I think we like chocolate cookies. Trying to decide if I want to make cherry snowballs or more peppermint candy canes tonight, or maybe fudge. I'm planning on peppermint and Irish cream fudge. And I need to bake some cranberry bread.