Menu

Can we list news sources and comment on slant and reliability?

Laurie4b

When I am following a news topic, I will often click through links on several sources  etc.  The trouble is, outside of a few major  news organizations, I am not sure whether I am reading something from a source that has a slant or that may be unreliable, such as a tabloid from a different country. (I had no clue the Daily Mail was a tabloid until someone from the UK on here pointed it out.) Someone asked on another thread about a source called the Federalist, for instance, and wanted to know their slant. I think it would be useful to have it in one place.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a site having a slant; in fact I read a couple different sources one of which I know has a conservative slant and the other a  liberal slant. I figure I'm getting a fuller picture that way. But if I've clicked on a site that is new to me, I am often not sure if there is a slant in their general stories and it isn't always obvious on a quick perusal of the site. If I know that the conservative side will tend to say  x and the progressive side will tend to say y and I read a conservative saying y, that has more significance than a progressive saying y. So, for example,  Krauthammer (a conservative commentator on Fox) slamming the grand jury decision on Eric Garner as "incomprehensible" means something different than if a progressive commentator said the same thing. When people move out of their box, their words carry different weight than if they are simply seeing things from within their normal "bubble". 

I know the major US outlets, but I don't know the ones that aren't as mainstream, and other than knowing now that the Daily Mail is a tabloid, and the BBC is very mainstream, I don't know anything about foreign news sources.

I thought a thread like this could be useful for a lot of us.

If you could, just label slant without any derogatory comments so that it doesn't derail. For instance, please just say, " Mainstream, but tends to a liberal/progressive slant" or "Tends to a conservative slant" or " partisan Democratic publication" or "Is a tabloid though sometimes they print accurate news" etc.

I'll try to keep up with the thread and periodically update this post so that in the end, we'll have all the sources in one post.

I figure the news source that is most likely to cause caustic remarks is Fox. If we can agree that it has a conservative slant, then can we skip any scathing remarks? Thanks!

Starting the compiliation: (won't be able to do it all at once):

US

Center +/-

NPR- center to slightly left

LA Times fairly neutral leans left

WSJ- center/mixed  (WSJ has left of center reporting, topic selection, and news, and a solidly right/conservative editorial board)

The Atlantic- center to slightly left

Al-Jazeera is fairly neutral but I think it would appear to be progressive to people in the US because its reporting on the Islamic world is more neutral than typical US-based news sources.

Left

CNN- left

MSNBC- far left

Ha'aretz out of Israel strikes me as liberal-leaning compared to the Jerusalem Post.

Vox--slants liberal

Right

Fox--leans right/conservative

Blaze- far right and skews facts horribly in a fear mongering way

Washington Times.is conservative-leaning

Chicago Sun Times is conservative-leaning

Breitbart leans towards Tea Party conservatism.

Tabloids

Daily Mail

Really sensational tabloids and also unreliable "news" sites

This site gives a rundown for UK newspapers.  It's a bit out of date: The News of the World no longer exists.

L

Thanks. Perfect!  This is exactly what I was wanting to compile. I think you were the one who first brought my attention to the Daily Mail. :)  I have a question though. What is a mid-market tabloid? Is that better than a red-top tabloid?

Thanks. Perfect!  This is exactly what I was wanting to compile. I think you were the one who first brought my attention to the Daily Mail. :)  I have a question though. What is a mid-market tabloid? Is that better than a red-top tabloid?

It's not a designation I'm familiar with, but the site says:

The tabloids in turn have been divided into the more sensationalist mass market titles, or "red tops", and the middle-market papers. 

The Daily Mail is quite sensationalist enough for me!

I forgot to mention: UK politics are, in general, to the left of US politics, so read the designations with that in mind.  For example, it would be political suicide for a politician in the UK openly to suggest the dismantling of the single-payer National Health Service.

L

Mondo Times offers a lot of this type of information, and you can learn more about how media sources are rated for popularity, content quality, political bias and credibility here. (The ratings are submitted by members based on their impressions of different newspapers and other media sources, so it's similar to what you're attempting to do here.)

Mondo Times offers a lot of this type of information, and you can learn more about how media sources are rated for popularity, content quality, political bias and credibility here. (The ratings are submitted by members based on their impressions of different newspapers and other media sources, so it's similar to what you're attempting to do here.)

So, the reviews are from regular folks who want to vote?  I'd love to see news organizations rated by a group that does actual fact-checking, etc.  Because I think credibility is established on whether or not they are reporting accurately, not whether Joe Schmoes think it's credible, i.e. they like/don't like its politcal leanings.  Also, distinguishing from pundits and opinion shows and the news programming.

I like how the Washington Post offers its "Pinocchio" ratings, but want someone to do that for the NEWS!  LOL

Al-Jazeera is fairly neutral but I think it would appear to be progressive to people in the US because its reporting on the Islamic world is more neutral than typical US-based news sources.

LA Times has a left-wing slant but is more neutral than many major US newspapers.

Chicago Sun Times is conservative-leaning, as is Washington Post.

Breitbart leans towards Tea Party conservatism.

Ha'aretz out of Israel strikes me as liberal-leaning compared to the Jerusalem Post.

From where I sit, US news:

CNN is centrist (and it astonishes me to find people calling it left-leaning! It is not)

Fox News is, of course, highly to the right, and I wouldn't trust their opinion pieces at all

USA Today is fairly neutral

AP and Reuters are generally neutral

Pro Publica leans fairly hard to the left, but not so much as

Alternet and ThinkProgress

The NY Times wants to be progressive, tends towards centrist

The Washington Post also tends towards centrist, though I find their opinion pieces mixed

Al Jazeera America leans towards the left

Edit: Centrist and neutral are not synonymous. Centrist means advocating a position somewhere in the middle - that's US politics, not rest-of-the-world politics! Neutral means not advocating much of a position at all. You can advocate a position not simply through your opinion pieces, but through what you choose to report on and what you choose not to report on. In general, the older news sources tend to be pro-Establishment, even if they disagree with the particular people in power today.

The Economist is reliable and slants fiscally conservative & socially libertarian. It's similar to The Wall Street Journal but less conservative on social issues (that's probably due to being based out of the UK rather than the US).

NPR is reliable and slants liberal.

The Washington Post slants liberal. Perhaps the PP who claimed it slants conservative was thinking of The Washington Times?

Most of the major U.S. newspapers slant liberal. Their tabloid-y rivals often slant conservative, probably as a way of increasing readership (think The New York Times vs. The New York Post or The Boston Globe vs. The Boston Herald, etc.)

Mother Jones is way-liberal

The Nation is more liberal than typical but not quite as far left as Mother Jones.

The Atlantic is liberal to centrist depending on the specific article.

The Weekly Standard and The National Review are conservative in an establishment way.

The Week is pretty neutral - they have opinion pieces that run the gamut in their online content, their print edition only summarizes everyone else's opinions.

I throw it out there because if anyone is looking for a magazine subscription that will let them feel informed about absolutely everything without reading a tome like The Economist every week then it's a great pick. Fine no matter what your outlook.

You know, this all reminds me of a page at TVTropes (everything reminds me of a page at TVTropes) explaining English Newspapers. Just keep reminding yourself: The Daily Fail is what Vernon Dursley reads. Now that can NOT be good. "The Mail - news for people who lock their nephews in the cupboard!"

They have one for America, Australia, and Ireland as well. I make no claims as to the accuracy of the Useful Notes at TVTropes. (Hey! I'm a poet and don't know it!)

Thanks everyone!  I was out tonight but will try to compile tomorrow.

What about Vox? Does anyone know about that? I've only recently encountered it. I'm guessing it slants liberal.

I really liked Vox to begin with, but now it seems they're trying to slug out quantity w/o much regard for quality.  I would prefer to see fewer but deeper pieces.  I agree that it slants liberal, but (IMO) not tremendously.

NPR- center to slightly left

CNN- left

MSNBC- far left

Fox- far right

Blaze- far right and skews facts horribly in a fear mongering way

Washington Post- left

WSJ- center/mixed

The Atlantic- center to slightly left

Personally, the closer to the center a news source is, the more reliable I tend to find them.