Menu

After a colonoscopy - Update

Jean in Newcastle

No problem here.  I half woke up with just a few minutes to go, and he just told me to keep my eyes closed until he told me to open them.  I was completely awake by then.  

I felt fine, no issues at all.  I had DH take me by Five Guys.  I had no fries, but the burger I had tasted lovely!

Do you have experience with anathesia? I ask because they had trouble bringing me out of it with mine and they had a hard time regulating my BP so they had to keep and watch me longer than normal and then I was out of it the rest of the day. No digestive issues though.

No real experience.  So I don't know what to expect with my body with regards to that.  

I had one earlier this year and woke up right after the procedure. I was hungry and we stopped for sandwiches on the way home. My problem wasn't eating, but constipation. I was eating plenty of fiber but I took probiotics for a few days to get back to normal.

Really, the worst part about the whole thing was the prep the day before. I hope yours goes well with a good report afterward.

I had a lot of back pain after mine...I think it was from all the purging of the night before. I slept most of the day after the early-morning procedure, was OK to talk and eat the next day, and took several days for digestion and elimination to get back to normal, or as normal as could be expected given the problems I had been having *before* the colonoscopy (mine was diagnostic, not preventive). They did say they gave me a bit extra of the "after" pain-killer because I was so sore even before the procedure,

I was brave and skipped the anesthesia.  My doctor will let you try going without but will have an IV in in case you change your mind.  Other then suffering for a few minutes with gas pains from the air they blow you up with I had a nice, guided tour of the inside of my colon and even got to peak into my appendics.  The clinic I go to shows it all on a big, giant screen for your viewing pleasure.  I don't know how it would feel if they had to do a biopsy but if everything is normal you might want to try skipping the anesthesia.  I have twice.  After it was over, I went about my day as usual and didn't have to skip driving.  One word of warning don't go to the mall right afterwards.  Remember all the gas they pump into you...............you get the picture! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  Had the colonoscopy today.  There were a fair number of people there for procedures though they told me that they were closing early and didn't have as many as usual.  I am happy to report that the Christmas party was moved to Saturday.  I definitely would not have been able to go.  I'm pretty wiped out.