Menu

Hamster for Christmas

momacacia

We have decided to get a family hamster for Christmas. It will primarily be 6 year old's, with adult overseeing of course (just in case someone thought we were giving it to 6yo to raise singlehandedly).

I had two hamsters as a child, at various times, but it has been a long time. We considered guinea pigs, but I don't have any experience with them.

Would a couple hamster owners clue me in on veterinary expenses/visits, good care practices and breeds to get and where to get such a furry friend. One of mine was white and cream colored, a little longer haired, I think, and the other was a bit shorter haired with white, brown and black coloring. I think I would like something like the latter. They were adopted to us from my school, so I wouldn't know where they came from in the first place. Is a pet store a good place to look? Hamster adoption? Breeders?

Any help appreciated!! This will be a big boon for 6yo. She loves animals and will give it all kinds of care and attention.

ETA: Recs for cages and gear welcome also!

Guest submarines

Beware of stringy "nesting material" sold at pet stores--those can be deadly if swallowed.

Collapsible plastic tunnels are a pain to clean.

Pick an active hamster, not the one that quietly cuddles into your hand and sits still. Docile and "friendly"= lethargic=sickly.  

I don't have hamsters, but I think any time a parent buys a pet and expects the child to be the primary caregiver it's a situation ripe for conflict. I think these situations work best when the adults accept that they will be the primary caregivers of the animal then maybe, just maybe, they can be delightfully surprised if a responsible child takes over the job.

Nothing the OP said tells me which parent she is. It's just that this thread reminded me of so many others where the family gets a pet, then the parents get frustrated when the kid loses interest and mom is stuck either nagging or cleaning cages for years.

I'm just spouting :-D

I had several hamsters as a child. My mother finally switched to dwarf rabbits because hamsters don't live very long (2-3 years) and I staged big funerals and went into deep mourning every time a beloved friend passed on...the dwarf rabbits have a significantly longer life span (5-7 years) and are also very kid friendly and not so small to handle for little fingers.

Choose to ADOPT!

I used to have hamsters (Syrian & dwarf) but now I just do rats.

there are rescue organizations that take care of small critters & bunnies & reptiles etc. Many shelters also have little guys.

Do not buy from a pet shop. If you must, purchase from a reputable breeders. You can usually find reputable breeders by finding local/regional hamster show information.

There are some excellent info sheets on this page: http://www.smallangelsrescue.org/care-2/hamster-care/

Remember syrians are solitary & nocturnal.

Dwarfs can sometimes co-habit but it's 50/50. The large the habitat, the better the odds of success.

Speaking of habitat, there's no such thing as too big. Most pet store cages are way too small. You'll want something from Martins, as big as you can fit in. http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/ (eta, if you go for a multilayer Martin's you need to line each shelf with a piece of fabric that's pinned down so that their feet are protected. Some people also use sheets of coroplast cut to size & tied down with zip ties.)

Vet exams here are the same price as for dogs/cats, ranging from  $55-/70 for basic annual check up.  Antibiotics usually <$15. Teeth trims (if necessary) - $10. Spay ~$125+. Neuter ~$100. Euthanasia ~ $100.

I actually prefer gerbils (not as much urine-- so not as much smell!-- but I had hamsters growing up.

Stay away from the colorful plastic cages-- they WILL chew on them ALL. NIGHT. LONG.  thus escaping and /or destroying the cange.

A 10-20 gal aquarium with a metal lid is perfect-- then you can create different playscapes with internal structures.  There is also the 'hybrid' option where the topper is also a second level...(google hamster tank toppers)

I actually prefer gerbils (not as much urine-- so not as much smell!-- but I had hamsters growing up.

Stay away from the colorful plastic cages-- they WILL chew on them ALL. NIGHT. LONG.  thus escaping and /or destroying the cange.

A 10-20 gal aquarium with a metal lid is perfect-- then you can create different playscapes with internal structures.  There is also the 'hybrid' option where the topper is also a second level...(google hamster tank toppers)

I agree here.  Hamsters are nocturnal animals where as gerbils are nappers.  They will be active off and on all day, not just when you are trying to sleep.  If you decide to go with gerbils, no plastic can be kept in the cage full time.  We have fun plastic habitat trail tubes that the kids turn into mazes and we stick one side into the cage and they have a blast.  When they start all chewing on it, we pull it out.  Gerbils are social animals though and you need at least two and they need to come from the same cage at the place you get them.  I've never taken mine to the vets.  When the last set started looking sickly, they were already 2.5 yo and on getting up in the years for gerbils so we declared it old age.  Funniest thing, the fat dude that hated the wheel outlived his fit brothers by about 7 months (exercise is overrated).

We just buried our third (DS9's first) hamster. She was a Chinese Dwarf - a breed I love and recommend. The long-haired Teddy Bears are nice, too. Get them young and frequently-handled by people. The Dwarf had been well-handled and was very young, so she was very hand-tame. We had one before that was a Blueberry - that was a terrible choice. They are very hyperkinetic and she was never hand tame.

IMO, the only cage you should ever consider is a 10-gallon aquarium with a screen lid. They are not sold with hamsters in mind, and the screen lids are sold for Terrariums, but this set-up is 1000x easier to clean and manage then those plastic tube cages. Hamsters are good at escaping cages, but I have never had an escape from an aquarium. Hamsters will generally use one corner as the potty, which is easy to clean in an aquarium, but not in a plastic tunnel.

Hamsters are nocturnal. I don't recommend cages being kept in bedrooms because they can drive you mad at night. They need a wheel for exercise, plus chew toys to wear down incisors.

I have never taken a hamster to a vet. I can't really imagine anyone doing so. Plan on 2-3 years of life. This is both a benefit and a liability. It's a bummer when they die. Nobody really likes saying goodbye to a pet. OTOH,it is a short time commitment, which is a perk, too. It's certainly a much bigger commitment to get a pet that may live for ten years or more.

I have never taken a hamster to a vet. I can't really imagine anyone doing so.

LOL. My hamster had surgery to remove a small tumor. Vet didn't send it for pathology but kept it in case it grew back, then we would have had it tested.

In hamsters, I've also treated eye infections & upper resp infections with antibiotics. I have had them pass in their sleep but  if their end is near & they're suffering, I'll book a humane euthanasia at the vet's.

This all goes for my rats too; & we've also done neuters for bhvr issues  and spays for various issues.

fwiw, I still think hamsters are adorable but having had pet rats, not sure I can go back to hammies. Rats are just so much more interactive & fun during the day.

I know you've said you have decided on this.  We were given hamsters as wonderful Christmas gifts as kids.  I believe they were teddy bears.  As a child (although we were several years older than your 6 yo), they were a huge disappointment.  They would die randomly, breaking hearts after owning it just three weeks. Or three months.

They were nocturnal, so we couldn't keep them in our rooms.  Well, that was part of the fun appeal, and it sucked as a kid to have to keep them in the bathroom at night.

YIKES! Some were biters.  No more taking that one out of the cage and getting to love/play with it.  :(

As much as we hoped and tried for pets that were loving, long lived, and fun, hamsters really were a colossal failure, and that crushed us as kids.

My rat was ugly (white with red eyes), but he was hearty and loving.  As a mom, I always swore the only rodent I would consider for my kids would be a rat.

We got a long haired Syrian hamster for Squirrelboy for Christmas last year (he would have preferred a squirrel, but pet squirrels are hard to come by :)). We got her from a local PetSmart, which I think is a perfectly acceptable choice. The employee who helped us was very knowledgeable about hamster care and steered us toward a Syrian when Squirrelboy was originally considering a dwarf. She actually recommended gerbils even more highly as a first pet, but he was set on a hamster. Our particular hamster is super friendly and tame. She loves to be picked up and has never tried to bite anyone, not even the 3 year old who once squeezed her enough to make her squeak while putting her back in her cage.

I actually read an article that stated that hamsters, as opposed to being truly nocturnal, are actually crepuscular, which means they're most active at dawn and dusk. We've found that to be true with our hamster. She's active in the morning when Squirrelboy is getting ready for school and again around dinnertime. She usually sleeps during the bulk of the day, but she doesn't mind being woken up and played with in the afternoon.

We got a large wire cage with wooden platforms and ramps. It has been wonderful. The hamster loves to climb the bars of the cage and the door latches very firmly to there's little chance she can get out. I actually feel kind of sad for the hamsters I kept in aquariums as a child because our hamster definitely loves to climb. However, if you use an aquarium as a cage and provide climbing opportunities inside the cage I'm sure that would be fine.

Our hamster would have a really hard time escaping from her cage, but she's an escape artist regarding her exercise ball. We found it open in the middle of the kitchen floor many times when she was running around unsupervised. Thankfully we found her every time. We went through several balls and finally realized it was the animal, not the balls. Now the we duct tape the ball shut and she hasn't escaped since.

As I said, I had a series of hamsters and gerbils growing up. It never once occurred to us to take them to the vet as we did our cats and dog. However, I did take my son's hamster to the vet yesterday because she has lost some hair on her back. DH thought it was kind of ridiculous to take such a small, short lived pet to the vet, but he put up with it. Plus, he didn't see the look on our son's face when he discovered that there was something wrong with his beloved pet. I did draw the line at having the vet do a $107 skin culture to see if it was a fungal infection, but I may change my mind if she continues to lose hair. 

One thing we learned from the vet is that hamsters like much more bedding than we'd given our pet, which she thought might have been a cause of stress related hair loss. According to the vet, they like 12 to 15 inches of bedding. It's impractical to have that much in the cage we have, but we did up it to about 8 inches and our hamster seemed to really enjoy digging around in it.

One last thought.... if you're traveling anywhere or having lots of guests at Christmas, wait until after the new year to get the hamster. If you want something to open on Christmas morning, buy the cage, water bottle, etc, beforehand. We printed out a certificate for our son redeemable for one hamster, cage, and accessories after our Christmas travel and he was totally satisfied, but he was 8 (almost 9) at the time. A younger child like your 6 year old may prefer something more substantial.

I hope you find a great hamster and enjoy your new pet!

I had several hamsters as a child. My mother finally switched to dwarf rabbits because hamsters don't live very long (2-3 years) and I staged big funerals and went into deep mourning every time a beloved friend passed on...the dwarf rabbits have a significantly longer life span (5-7 years) and are also very kid friendly and not so small to handle for little fingers.

One can usually find rabbits to adopt from a local animal shelter. I would check on petfinder.

Rabbits need to be spayed/neutered or they get cranky. Usually a shelter would have taken care of that.

This is such wonderful advice. Thank you all.

I just couldn't do a gerbil (too rat/mouse looking) or a rat (looks like a rat :lol:) and busy at night was one of the things against a guinea, but since hamsters can have a smaller cage, I can think of places for the hamster to be happy in our house where an aquarium cage could fit. Seems it would be nice to possibly have a separate "play cage" for the hamster to visit which could be plastic, but to live in the aquarium. Again, thanks all, keep it coming if there's more!

I do remember the hamsters sleeping a lot. But, I can see 6yo particularly, sitting quietly for quite some time each day holding and talking to hamster. Really, if I could bring myself to wanting to care for another child and vacuum all the hair, we'd get a dog. We're dog people, have a fenced backyard, and I feel it's part of a "normal childhood" to have a dog. We will probably do it someday. But we're just not there yet. And all these animals can, and will eventually, be heartbreakers. I think 6yo will be able to handle it. I can see her being a vet or zoologist. Loves the animals, but a little more internal toughness than firstborn. Her conclusion to history sentences is a singing, "And they all died! And they all died!" ---Yeah, pretty much! :laugh:

One can usually find rabbits to adopt from a local animal shelter. I would check on petfinder.

Rabbits need to be spayed/neutered or they get cranky. Usually a shelter would have taken care of that.

:lol:  My male rabbit was not cranky at all - he just wanted to h&*p everything fuzzy, i.e. stuffed animals.

:lol:  My male rabbit was not cranky at all - he just wanted to h&*p everything fuzzy, i.e. stuffed animals.

We had two rabbits, a male and female. Both were fixed but the male rabbit still violated stuffed animals if they were left where he could get to them.   :huh:

Male rabbits spray though...one would want them fixed, particularly if they were going to be inside.

It does make them less aggressive and lowers the rabbit's risks for uterine or testicular cancer. Rabbits have a very high risk of uterine cancer, they are supposed to be well...breeding "like rabbits," if they are not then things go wrong.

We have had Chinese dwarfs and a white mouse and regular hammies and now have a fat, cute friendly hammie we adopted from the Humane Society. He is the best one we ever had! So sweet and friendly.

We use wire cages and they work well. The cage stays in little dd's room. We have never had a hamster escape. Nocturnal activities do not bother dd.

Get only one because they can fight quite aggressively depending on breed. Please consider adopting from the Humane Society. We got our white mouse and our current hamster there free for a donation. Wonderful little creatures.

We have graveyards for our pocket pets under the rose bushes and between two big oaks. We always say a prayer and have a short service. When we sense that their time is drawing near we carry them everywhere. Dd calls it the Hospice Box.

Guest submarines

If you could get over the rattiness (it took me 8 month), rats are way smarter and your DD can teach them tricks, and actually interact with them. DD was 10 when she started working on me and did a lot of independent research and then presented her case as to why rats are superior to hamsters (intelligence, trainability, can be trained to be awake during the day). I had to go to the pet store several times to just look at them and hold them to make sure I could deal with the tails. But at the end she won. It was also easier as I knew she'd be 100% responsible for their care and I didn't have to handle them.

But if you get rats, you'll need 2. Hamsters should be alone.

Btw, I have to say that my perceptions have totally changed--now I think that hamsters look kinda weird.

what? Where you talking about me? About cute adowable & smart ratties like me?

attachicon.gifDavid Rizzo as baby.jpg

:D That's our boy David

He is  cute, but is that him as a baby? I mean, all baby things are cute. Rats have that long tail, and I just can't . . . . :leaving:

ETA: I love that you have "official baby photo" ala blue blanket of the baby rat. :thumbup1:

Guest submarines

He is  cute, but is that him as a baby? I mean, all baby things are cute. Rats have that long tail, and I just can't . . . . :leaving:

ETA: I love that you have "official baby photo" ala blue blanket of the baby rat. :thumbup1:

It helped me to hold baby rats in the store--way cuter than adults. Then we adopted adult rats...the tails were gross...For like the first 5 minutes. Honestly, the tails were a huge deal to me, and not anymore.

If you get babies from the beginning you get used to their bigger size gradually.

LOL. My hamster had surgery to remove a small tumor. Vet didn't send it for pathology but kept it in case it grew back, then we would have had it tested.

In hamsters, I've also treated eye infections & upper resp infections with antibiotics. I have had them pass in their sleep but  if their end is near & they're suffering, I'll book a humane euthanasia at the vet's.

This all goes for my rats too; & we've also done neuters for bhvr issues  and spays for various issues.

fwiw, I still think hamsters are adorable but having had pet rats, not sure I can go back to hammies. Rats are just so much more interactive & fun during the day.

I've taken a rat and a hamster to the vet for infections, my sisters rat had to have its eye removed after a severe infection.  We have a great vet though.  He charges $3-$5 for office visit (only if you can afford it) and practically gives away the meds ($3 for a months worth of antibiotics for a goat that lost part of its foot, the surgery was free).

If it were me I'd get a (females of all of these stink less) guinea pig, rat or a dwarf rabbit over a hamster(mean little beasts).

If you could get over the rattiness (it took me 8 month), rats are way smarter and your DD can teach them tricks, and actually interact with them. DD was 10 when she started working on me and did a lot of independent research and then presented her case as to why rats are superior to hamsters (intelligence, trainability, can be trained to be awake during the day). I had to go to the pet store several times to just look at them and hold them to make sure I could deal with the tails. But at the end she won. It was also easier as I knew she'd be 100% responsible for their care and I didn't have to handle them.

But if you get rats, you'll need 2. Hamsters should be alone.

Btw, I have to say that my perceptions have totally changed--now I think that hamsters look kinda weird.

Rats are excellent pets! Dd has 2 girls. They are so sweet, and Dd has trained them to do tricks. They are great for the crafty child. She likes to make mazes, obstacles, and hammocks for them. They are very treat motivated and that makes it easier to get them to do what you want. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I started shopping for the hamster stuff (we won't get critter until after Christmas), and have a question about bedding. The store recommended the Aspen shavings, but I also saw the Kaytee Clean and Cozy small animal bedding. Is that the stuff that the animals will sometimes eat and can be a hazard? I feel like I read something about that online somewhere ("Don't get this kind of bedding it's hazardous!!). What should I be on the look out for safety-wise as far as bedding.

TIA!

We had a Syrian hamster for three years. She was very friendly, liked to be handled (would walk right out of her cage onto our hand), and never bit anyone. I'm not a 'rodent' person generally, but our little hamster was a very good pet. We now have a cat that would not allow any rodents to survive in the house, so we didn't replace our hamster after she passed away. (And, no, she wasn't eaten by our cat😃)