Menu

My first smartphone-what are your favorite must-have or cool apps?

HappyGrace

I am so new to all this! It's just a Tracfone, so I can't use a lot of data minutes on it (although I can use it for free while on wireless at home).

So far I just put on CCleaner and MalwareBytes to protect it (since that's what I have on my computer.)

Any must-have apps? (I'm not into games.)

Kindle reader for free books. :). I also have an app that turns on the camera light ("flashlight app" or something) that I use all the time. I frequently google best apps for X, in whatever category you can imagine. I also have a to-do app where I can have separate categories: things to buy, library books I want, music I'd like, christmas wish lists, anything. Have fun playing around.

Waze. Great gps app. I use it every day.

Kindle (reading), Pandora (music), Spotify (music), Find Friends (I only follow DH and my mom, but it's great when my mom is traveling), Netflix and Amazon Streaming. Audible. Love Audible!

Evernote and Trello are great, too.

Oh, and the app my ten year old made. :P Its just a game, and only for iPhone but I giant puffy heart it because, you know, proud mommy.

I also have a to-do app where I can have separate categories: things to buy, library books I want, music I'd like, christmas wish lists, anything. Have fun playing around.

Name please?

The Errands app from Yoctoville. It's not really about errands, it's more of a very versatile to-do list. Very intuitive to use, full of features to help you keep organized on tasks big and small, one-time or repeating, etc.  Keeps me organized and on-task.

Errands will do that. You have a series of "folders", each of which has a list in it. Each list item, in turn, can have a checklist or notes. So for example I can have a "Holiday Tasks" folder, with the task "Buy Presents", and in that task I can have notes or a checklist of presents I need to buy.

I use it for groceries - I have a "Groceries" folder, with a to-do list item for each store I go to (regular store, Trader Joe's, Costco/BJ's). The to-do items pop up regularly - once a week for the regular store, bi-weekly for TJ's, bi-monthly for Costco/BJ's. Each one has a checklist of items to buy, which helps me to remember what I usually like to get at each store so I don't forget anything. When I'm done, I check off "Go to TJ's" from the to-do list, and it gets added to the to-do list again for two weeks later.

Some of my favorites:

Dropbox - I have mine set to automatically upload to my computer all the photos I take with my phone

Swiftkey - I use this as my default keyboard.  Fantastic.  The more you use it, the better it becomes at prediction.

Penny Finder - my son collects pressed pennies as souveniers so we use this app when we travel to find where the penny presses are

FlightAware & GateGuru are great apps for flying

Inkpad - my to do list

Weatherbug and Pandora are great too

3G Watchdog is an app where you put in your data limits, and it will keep track of how much you use and how much you have left.

CLOCK!! No more regular alarm clock for me, I love this much more!

Kindle Reader.  Even if you don't read books on your phone, some email attachments will open up in Kindle Reader. Very helpful.

I have Dropbox set up to automatically download any photos I take on my phone onto my computer when they are on back on the same network.  LOVE not having to even think about this, it's just all done for me.

Lookout Security. I use it as antivirus, but I also appreciate that it has a Lost Phone finder. If I can't find my phone, I can log into my account on my computer, and it will send a message to the phone. The phone's "mute" will be overridden, and the phone will start beeping, louder and louder until I find it.  Alternatively, it will send out a locator signal right before the battery dies, so I can log in and locate where the signal came from. I haven't had to use that one yet, but it was fun to test.  ;)

Pinterest, which I use when at the grocery store, looking for that AWESOME RECIPE I want to try again.

MapMyHike was fun when I went hiking over the summer, and I am eager to use it more often.

A weather app is great. I have WeatherBug.

And one of my favorites is Waze. It's my GPS, except it's better than any regular GPS because of the live features like accidents ahead, police traps ahead, etc.

Compass and Google Sky are two that I don't use but I don't want to get rid of them, because they look like so much fun.

Aside from the obvious, like FB and Pinterest, I like these:

Relax M. P.  It plays a bunch of different sounds to help you sleep.  I love it for background noise when the house is too quiet.

Shopping List.  Pretty self explanatory.

Google Now, so I can just talk to my phone when I'm feeling lazy.

Podcast Republic, for listening to stuff.

Trivia Crack.  It's a really addictive game, and a total timesuck.  Fun, though.

This looks cool.  Do you play against yourself or does it involve other people?  is there an option to do either way?

You play against other people.  If you have FB friends who play it will let you play against them, otherwise it will set you up against a random person.  It's a bit like Trivial Pursuit, when it's your turn you get to keep answering questions and trying to get a "piece" for each category.  The other person can't see your questions or answers or anything like that, the game just tells them when it's their turn.