Menu

Does anyone use a posture brace to help posture? If so, what brand and how do you like it?

HappyGrace

My mother has a dowager's hump. I am 46 and not getting one of those, but my posture is terrible and lately I'm noticing that my back looks very rounded just above my bra strap (when I wear a tighter shirt), even when I'm standing straight!

I definitely need to take steps to correct my posture, and just being mindful of it isn't working.

I want to get a posture brace to wear most of the time during the day-any ideas for good brands/types, etc? I mainly need one for my upper back-something that will hold my shoulders back, etc. (my lower back is ok)

Thanks!

I haven't, but I have this same problem. I've found two things:

1) Yoga is extremely helpful for my posture. I'm not sure why or how it works, but when I'm doing even a little bit of yoga regularly, I find myself standing straighter and feeling uncomfortable when I'm slumping. 

2) When I lose weight, my "hump" shrinks significantly. I spent a year or two agonizing over it, only to lose 10-12 pounds in the spring and find that it had magically shrunk drastically. (Of course, then I went and gained the weight back, but that's another series of posts *sigh*.) So maybe that's a factor for you?

Hi HappyGrace-

This may or may not be what you are specifically looking for, but my son is currently seeing a chiropractor for very rounded shoulders and poor posture. Among other stretches and wearing a brace daily (his chiro ordered it from a catalog, I can't find any info on brand or such) he is using a high density foam body roller to stretch the front muscles that are tight and in essence pulling his shoulders forward. The reason I suggest getting one of these is because it is AMAZING how tight one's front muscles can be. I was shocked at how well a particular stretch using one of these rollers really worked at stretching my own muscles, and my posture is pretty good to begin with. If you're interested I can explain it further. Just some food for thought. :-)

We purchased ours from amazon for under $20.

Here is a link....hopefully it works. If it doesn't just look up high density foam body roller. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040NJOA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not HappyGrace (obviously), but huh! I wonder if that's why the yoga works? Maybe it stretches and frees those front muscles so the body can pay attention to the back and shoulder muscles? I know that when I'm not doing yoga, standing and sitting up straight and rolling my shoulders back feel completely foreign and wrong, and terribly burdensome. But when I'm doing yoga, even after just a few days of it, slumping and rolling forward feel wrong. That's really fascinating! Thanks for the link.

A Katy Bowman DVD that touches on Dowager's Hump:  https://www.alignedandwell.com/shop/biomechanics-for-strong-bones/  I haven't seen this DVD, but trust her understanding of human biomechanics.

Do you sleep on your back using pillows under your head?  If so you're forcing your back into a humped position for several hours per night.  You can't ditch the pillows right away without giving yourself a headache or sore neck, but you might want to consider gradually moving away from holding your body in that position for a large percentage of every 24 hours.

Also, I wonder (but don't really know) if any sort of brace such as a posture brace is supposed to be a part time thing while you work on strengthening the muscles.  If you use a brace all the time the muscles might start to weaken since they're no longer supporting anything, sort of like having a cast on your leg allows the muscles to whither (happened to a couple of girls in dd's dance class -- they had to do PT after injuries, and were lopsided for a long time.

As to yoga, muscles are able to stretch more when they're stronger.  So it isn't simply the stretching of yoga, it's also the strengthening that goes on in the various positions that allow your body to move more freely after yoga practice.  

Rolling with a soft foam roller or something like pinky balls is a great prelude to yoga because it helps release the fascia.  Jill Miller has some sequences that involve using a pinky ball against a wall corner, which allows you to get into the upper chest area -- if you can lay your hands on a copy of her book The Roll Model you can see them around p. 282 et seq. (it says to use her Yoga Therapy Balls, but really those are just swanky versions of pinky balls).  Doing it against a wall corner lets you not have to worry about banging your head against the wall while trying to roll -- it's sort of like what she's doing against a post in this Mobility WOD video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i463R5HGdVg  She's working on her upper shoulder and neck, but maybe you can get the general idea and use it for your subclavius.

Lots of good suggestions and tips on here. ;-)

Hopefully my attempt to explain the stretch in a concise manner will be successful....lol!

Lie with your back on the foam roller with the length of it going up and down your spine (the roller needs to be the 36" length, though there might be a way to do this stretch with the shorter ones). You want the edge of the roller to hit just at the base of your neck so that your head is comfortably hanging down off of it. Starting with your arms together above your head, elbows together, 90' to your body, hands on a praying position, gently release your arms to the side, the weight of your arms will stretch those front shoulder muscles.

Ok- this isn't making sense! I'm such a visual person that this is difficult. Let me see if I can post a link....

ETA- the picture here is similar to what I typically do. My elbows are at a 90' angle and do not touch the ground. It is my understanding that your elbows should be able to touch...I'm not even close.

http://www.pricefalls.com/product/Pro-Tec-High-Density-Foam-Roller-%28Pink-%286and-number-34%3B-x-18and-number-34%3B%29%29/4211800

Another picture showing similar stretches....looks like you can leave your head on the roller. ;-)

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2013/06/07/ask-the-expert-how-do-i-use-a-foam-roller/

Also, regarding the brace, I don't think a brace is to be used in isolation. Once my son got the brace he became lazy with the stretches and the chiro knew right off the bat at his next appointment. He was given a good tongue lashing and we are now back to stretches AND the brace.

Found some info about his brace. It is made by Body Sport out of Ft. Worth, Texas. It cost about $20-25, iirc. :-)

ETA....Gah! Added the link!

You might see what PT (physical therapy) can do for you.  In two sessions the PT figured out the source of my back problems (and they WEREN'T what you'd think!) and gave me easy exercises I can do at home for 10 minutes a day.  PT is more expensive than a chiro, but it was my chiro who FINALLY referred me after realizing we weren't getting anywhere with chiro, chiro, chiro.  

I don't really have time or gump to do all sorts of exercising that "might" help.  I felt like I needed to pay, go in and get the RIGHT exercises for my specific problem, do them, get the improvement.  That's how it worked.  And the PT was $75 an hour self pay, very affordable considering two sessions was all it took to sort out my problems and get me enough homework exercises to move forward.

I also think a trip to a PT would be a good idea.  You could get specific exercises to help. I remember the PT saying those braces were horrible, and made the the problem worse (we were at the PT for my dd's shoulder injury and she also had posture issues.  He said lots of core work, and stay away from those braces).

I also think yoga is a great idea, as well as some body weight or weight training.  Pull-ups and push-ups, lots of core work; those are the things you probably need.  

I also think a trip to a PT would be a good idea.  You could get specific exercises to help. I remember the PT saying those braces were horrible, and made the the problem worse (we were at the PT for my dd's shoulder injury and she also had posture issues.  He said lots of core work, and stay away from those braces).

I also think yoga is a great idea, as well as some body weight or weight training.  Pull-ups and push-ups, lots of core work; those are the things you probably need.  

Exactly.  If you use a brace, you're supporting the back instead of having the muscles do the work, right?  That means when you take it off you're WORSE, not better.

I couldn't even do a sit-up when I started PT.  That's why I went PT, because I couldn't work with some physical trainer cheerleader who was going to make things worse.  I couldn't sit up.  The PT has ways to identify and target specific muscles and work them WITHOUT being arduous.  Like literally she made things I can do while lying in bed if I want!  Seriously  And some of the muscles she found were connected to my problems were NOT muscles I would have figured out or targeted on my own, like Kegels.  For real, the pelvic floor weakness was actually the ultimate cause of my BACK pain.  Who wooda thunk!  And yoga probably isn't going to hit that.  It took the PT actually looking at me and connecting all the dots.  She found the tight muscles on the back, found what they connected to on the front, and THEN said those were weak because they connected to pelvic floor.  So the answer to my "back" problems was actually kegels plus core, but she could weave them into 3-5 exercises and some stretches so that I could do *1* exercise but work ALL of my problem areas.  Like literally with one we're doing knees, core, and pelvic floor, and doing that makes my BACK better.  Go figure!  Doing pilates or yoga or whatever would have been totally random.  The PT let me target my efforts.  I don't have gump to go do an hour of something, but I'll do 10 minutes if you'll combine it and make it that effective, kwim?

Very good points! Hmmmm......got me re-thinking this whole brace issue. Looks like I'm going to need to add more sit-ups, push ups and all other kinds of core strengthening exercises to our PE. Oh my ds is going to love me. ;-)

I still swear by the stretches with the foam body roller OP. ha! Perhaps forgo the brace, grab one of those rollers and implement some core strengthening exercises.

Yes see someone!  And maybe talk to your doctor.  My aunt was very thin and had a major hump. It was osteoporosis. Now, she was a classic case: a thin white woman who smoked. But it runs in the family. My mom worked her whole adult life to avoid osteoporosis, she is a geriatric nurse so she has tried to avoid a whole lot of things, lol. But even with all her exercise and hard work she does have it in her neck...and a slight hump. She has nothing like what my aunt had, but it is there. She sees a PT and a chiro and lifts weights (has done that her whole life) and does yoga. I keep reminding her it obviously could be a whole lot worse if she hadn't been doing what she is doing.

So please see a chiro or a pt but also mention it to your doctor. It could be worth your time to get a bone scan?

Very good points! Hmmmm......got me re-thinking this whole brace issue. Looks like I'm going to need to add more sit-ups, push ups and all other kinds of core strengthening exercises to our PE. Oh my ds is going to love me. ;-)

I still swear by the stretches with the foam body roller OP. ha! Perhaps forgo the brace, grab one of those rollers and implement some core strengthening exercises.

Maybe consider them this way?  http://www.ball-exercises.com/exercises/chest/index.html#1  I think if I had a problem serious enough to be considering a brace, I'd be getting thorough evals, like Squirrel is saying, to see what's really going on.  And as much as I like my chiro, he waited several years as my problems got worse before referring me off.  I like chiro, but there are times you need to move up the food chain.  

You may want to check out some videos for forward head posture because I think they often go hand in hand.

Dr Paula Moore has this video & a bunch more on her channel

I've also found yoga & some of these wall stretches helpful. http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/repositioning-poor-posture-0  The pectoral & trapezius stretch esp. (pictures at the bottom of the article)  I was taught to do the trapezius stretch with back against the wall, keeping heels at wall & both shoulders & head on wall (I think maybe they photographed it the way they did just so we can see what she's doing.)  If you have forward head & upper back curvature, it's a hard stretch but if you do it regularly, it really helps.

I did get a physio to check me out too & he said to just keep doing what I was doing. I still can get into a straight position but I forget to do it so planned stretch breaks are important. He also said to put stickies on the computer monitor or paint a giant P - or a straight line - on my thumbnail with nailpolish to remind me to straighten.

Exactly.  If you use a brace, you're supporting the back instead of having the muscles do the work, right?  That means when you take it off you're WORSE, not better.

I couldn't even do a sit-up when I started PT.  That's why I went PT, because I couldn't work with some physical trainer cheerleader who was going to make things worse.  I couldn't sit up.  The PT has ways to identify and target specific muscles and work them WITHOUT being arduous.  Like literally she made things I can do while lying in bed if I want!  Seriously  And some of the muscles she found were connected to my problems were NOT muscles I would have figured out or targeted on my own, like Kegels.  For real, the pelvic floor weakness was actually the ultimate cause of my BACK pain.  Who wooda thunk!  And yoga probably isn't going to hit that.  It took the PT actually looking at me and connecting all the dots.  She found the tight muscles on the back, found what they connected to on the front, and THEN said those were weak because they connected to pelvic floor.  So the answer to my "back" problems was actually kegels plus core, but she could weave them into 3-5 exercises and some stretches so that I could do *1* exercise but work ALL of my problem areas.  Like literally with one we're doing knees, core, and pelvic floor, and doing that makes my BACK better.  Go figure!  Doing pilates or yoga or whatever would have been totally random.  The PT let me target my efforts.  I don't have gump to go do an hour of something, but I'll do 10 minutes if you'll combine it and make it that effective, kwim?

This just made me laugh (not at you!) because in yoga you are supposed to contract your pelvic floor every time (for each posture). It's called the Mula bandha.   I've even seen t-shirts that say, "Always Mula bandha"  :laugh:

I'm not arguing with what you said, because I agree with you. I think a good PT can figure out what your issues really are and help you address those.  I think the other stuff (yoga and weight training) is good too, but those will probably be more helpful once you realize what areas need the most attention. 

This just made me laugh (not at you!) because in yoga you are supposed to contract your pelvic floor every time (for each posture). It's called the Mula bandha.   I've even seen t-shirts that say, "Always Mula bandha"  :laugh:

I'm not arguing with what you said, because I agree with you. I think a good PT can figure out what your issues really are and help you address those.  I think the other stuff (yoga and weight training) is good too, but those will probably be more helpful once you realize what areas need the most attention. 

That's awesome!  The yoga video I watched years ago didn't have that, so I had no clue.   :D

PS.  Do I dare ask what the yoga guys are told to do?   :lol: 

That's awesome!  The yoga video I watched years ago didn't have that, so I had no clue.   :D

PS.  Do I dare ask what the yoga guys are told to do?   :lol: 

Tighten the "bottom".   :D

I don't hear it much (but I have heard it) from the teachers on YogaGlo.com, but when I used YogaToday.com those teachers mentioned it all of the time.  So much so, that I still hear the one woman's voice in my head reminding me to do it. :)  

oh, not a brace but one thing I have been meaning to do because I've heard it can get you more focused on maintaining better posture is taping.

Good tape will last several days & you can shower with it. There are a bunch of techniques. Here's one example  The idea is that the tape anchors the area in a good position & you'll feel it if you try to slouch.  You can buy physio tape online or in drugstores.

Thanks to all for the great replies!!

Sounds like I need to see a PT. Which I was hoping to avoid bcuz we are already in serious medical debt due to other issues.

I can see why the brace may be a bad idea!!

I'm going to call insurance tmrow and see how much they would pay toward a PT. I wonder how to go about finding a great one for my particular issues? I'm sure there are so many mediocre ones around.

Maybe I should start some kegels til I can get into a PT-lol!

That's awesome! The yoga video I watched years ago didn't have that, so I had no clue. :D

PS. Do I dare ask what the yoga guys are told to do? :lol:

Guys have pelvic floor muscles too. They just don't tend to cause as many problems as they don't carry babies. But they can have various issues that pelvic floor can help with too.

In addition to doing exercises like the ones in the video above, I also use a foam roller. I want to say I saw it in a video by the same lady in the video above, but it's been a while. Basically, I put the foam roller (or you can use a pool noodle or rolled up towel if the roller is too wide) under the part of my back that would hump out and lay with it for 5-10 minutes. Core strengthening exercises are important too. All are recommendations from my chiro.