Menu

Best method to make an ice cream cake?

Tap

Dd wants vanilla cake, with cookie dough ice cream and pink -vanilla frosting.  I'm not even going to try to find this combo and figure I will just make it my self.  I can decorate a cake, but don't really know what the best method is for making the cake/ice cream part, and then getting it out of the pan intact.

Any BTDT advice?

Hi Tap,

I've made ice cream pie by buying a premade cookie crust (chocolate), then half melting vanilla ice cream and mixing crusted oreos in, then putting in crust and freezing. It didn't look that great, but it sure was yummy. I am not a fancy person, but I think I would make a 9 x 13 cake that allows extra pan room, remove it from the pan, then either put the ice cream in first, then cake on top (so you can frost it) or be daring and split the cake lengthwise and do cake-ice cream-cake-frosting. There is potential for it to be somewhat of a mess though.

My neighbor found (after some fails) you make the cake and freeze it. Soften the ice cream and mold in the cake pan and freeze that (as hard as you can). Unmold the ice cream, put it on the cake, put the the cake and ice cream back in the freezer. Frost and return to the freezer. You may need to cover with frosting, freeze, and then add the frosting decoration.

I think commercial freezers are a lot colder so issues with ice cream getting too soft between steps are less of a problem for places that sell these.

I've made ice cream cake a few times.  Here are my tips:

1. Thaw the ice cream until it's soft and moldable on your counter top.  Check it often as it happens fast.  Refreeze it after it's molded.

2. Use parchment paper underneath your bottom-most layer or it sticks in the pan.

3. A springform pan works really well as you can remove the sides and just deal with the bottom portion once you remove your cake from the freezer again.

HTH!

My neighbor found (after some fails) you make the cake and freeze it. Soften the ice cream and mold in the cake pan and freeze that (as hard as you can). Unmold the ice cream, put it on the cake, put the the cake and ice cream back in the freezer. Frost and return to the freezer. You may need to cover with frosting, freeze, and then add the frosting decoration.

I think commercial freezers are a lot colder so issues with ice cream getting too soft between steps are less of a problem for places that sell these.

That's pretty much how my mil does it. It is cake and ice cream, not like a Carvel ICC, with the cookie crumbs and such.

She makes the cake in two layer pans, gets it out and freezes the layers. She fills the same cake pan with softened ice cream and freezes that. Then she layers one cake, the ice cream, and the other cake layer. She quickly frosts it either with buttercream or whipped cream, and freezes again.

I use a 9 inch cake pan and bake a thick layer of cake, remove it and wrap and freeze. Then I line that cake pan with Saran Wrap and pack softened ice cream in it. Freeze it until it's solid, then remove the ice cream and wrap in Saran Wrap. 

My regular icing won't work on ice cream cakes because it quickly gets too cold to spread. So I use a product called Bettercreme by Rich's. I buy it in a carton at GFS, and all you do is whip it like cream, and you can color it.    It's what places like Dairy Queen use for their ice cream cakes. So I ice the cake/ice cream layers, add borders and sprinkles, and other decorations, and store in the freezer until needed.    I take it out about 15 minutes before cutting to let it soften a little. 

I've made them before.  The trick is good quality ice cream and putting the ice cream in a glass bowl and mixing with a hand-held mixer.  Although I imagine a Kitchen-Aid would do a great job.  Mixing it makes it spreadable.  I always sandwich the ice cream between two cake rounds because frosting directly on ice cream is too much/too icky.  

I'm not very good at frosting things.  My frosting tastes great, I just don't have spreading skills.  For DD's cakes, I've discovered that adding skittles in a design covers up my deficiencies.  

I've made ice cream cakes in spring form pans (the kind you use for cheesecakes). That works well.

This is how I've always done it.  Slightly soften the ice cream so it is easy to spread.  In the past I've melted chocolate chips and stirred in Rice Krispies for a fun, crunchy middle layer.  Just make sure you take it out and thaw it a little before you want to cut it or you'll have a solid brick of deliciousness and no way to eat it.

I followed these directions:

http://lipsmackinggoodness.blogspot.com/2010/06/decadent-two-tone-ice-cream-cake.html

Thank you all so much!!!!

I have a spring form pan.

I also have two layer cake pans.

I will have to decide if I want to try the two step method or just use the spring form.  Since it is a frozen cake, I think I will make it today and then store it until her birthday to make things easier on the day of.  

You all rock!

:hurray:  :hurray: