Menu

Dance parents - question for you

catz

I'm trying to think something through here and I'll say why later in the thread.  We have been with a lovely little dance studio for 6 years that turns out some amazing dancers that go on in it.  But it also is a nice studio for more recreational dancers.  It is a performance based studio with a strong ballet program.  Some kids there do compete individually, but it is not a competition studio.

I'm curious how other dance studios audition and then cast for shows, like the Nutcracker or shows where division or casting isn't necessarily based on the class or level you're in.  Do you get an e-mail or a phone call?  Do you officially accept a role?  Can you graciously turn down a role?  Do you just see a list or have a meeting where everyone finds out their role and that's it?

Our pre-professional ballet studio casts the vast majority of roles in Nutcracker just by the teachers getting together casting. Students get an invitation to be in the show, generally not until students are in Intermediate, which is age 9-10. If they sign on, they understand they'll be cast as needed and you can't really turn down a role. Students who are on scholarship must do the Nutcracker, but it's a choice for everyone else. I understand that there's some audition and competition for the soloist parts at the top level, but we're so not there yet.

First I will state that no single studio in our area does a show, other than recital, on their own.  There is a Nutcracker performance every year that all studios get invitations to for their dancers.  While we do have the Nutcracker each year it alternates years between having a profession company coming in where our local dancers fill in group scenes, and then the other year is a local studio owner to produces it and uses local dancers for all the roles.  This year is the professional dancers come, and DD is planning try out to be a party guest.  DD has done the Nutcracker for the last 5 or 6 years (I have lost count :blushing: ).

The dancers (and parents) are told ahead of time what the commitment will be for various roles in the production.  They are divided by age and skill level, with some age overlap.  When you sign up you pay a small fee to cover costume cleaning and a t-shirt.  Trying out is saying that you are willing to take on the role you are given.  You could probably turn down role early on, but I think it might make things hard to recast if it was a main role, smaller roles like one of eight other mice not as big of a deal from what I have seen.  Last year my DD was a French Eclair and one of the girls in her group failed to show to most practices and was kicked from the group.  I am sure it differs a lot based on area and the level of the production.

Announcements were made on a website and Facebook, and we were told what day and time of day it would be posted.

At our studio auditions are held by age for Nutcracker- so 5-8 year olds have a time as a group, 9-12 year olds have a time, 13 and up have a time, dancers on pointe have yet another time, etc.  It's a group audition with a panel of teachers and one teacher or senior student leading the students through a dance or technique.

Competition auditions are done in groups of four at the end of the dance year- you sign up for times, so your group could be all the same age or any age from 5-18.  The teachers and studio owners place the students on teams with a caveat that during the summer session they reserve the right to move students if they think a different team will be a better fit.  The audition results are e-mailed. 

For Nutcracker, teachers meet, cast the show or place the students in appropriate groups for whatever we're auditioning for, and once the list is approved by the studio owner, results are e-mailed.   A full cast list is posted at the studio.

Auditioning is generally saying that you accept the coming responsibility. Though things change and come up, I've seen people turn down roles and placements.  Generally everyone rolls with it.  There was only once that I saw a family get in a tizzy and leave the studio because they thought their precious darling should be Clara and got a different, smaller role.   Usually the reasons for turning down a role are with sudden scheduling conflicts. 

Teachers get called for the professional jobs. They then text the kiddos who will best fit the part requested. For example, DD14 will be a backup dancer for a particular singer next month. Her teacher texted her with the job info., rehearsal dates, etc. and asked if she was available those dates.

The dance studio also has regular musical type shows. Kiddos audition on a given date, and the cast list gets posted on the bulletin board just like in the local community theaters.

Finally competition team dancers audition every August. They get a letter given to them in class or mailed.

our drill is a bit different.  there is an audition day.

the younger dancers audition and are given roles.  the casting is announced in a hand out the following weekend.

for the large roles, the senior corps dancers learn each part and casting is finalized about four weeks out.

fwiw,

ann 

Our studio tells everyone which level is eligible to audition for each role.  Then, an audition schedule is posted.  Recreational ballet dancers can choose whether or not they want to audition.  The progressive-track ballet students are pretty much expected to participate.  I would have to have a really, really good reason to not have my daughter participate in Nutcracker.  It is also unheard of to turn down a role.  Everyone is expected to take the role(s) that they are awarded/assigned.  There is definitely grumbling sometimes over roles, but I haven't heard of anyone refusing a part completely.  

ETA:

Tryouts take place over several days.  Usually the day after the last day of auditions, a cast list is posted online and in the studio.  Auditions took place in late August.  Rehearsals started the third week of September.

Our studio is a classical ballet (non-competition) studio.

Our studio puts on a Nutcracker every year. In order to audition, a student must have been enrolled in the school's curriculum program the entire previous year (sept to June). Auditions are in summer. Each student auditioning must attend full day intensive for a set number of weeks (2 or 3, depending on level, many students attend more weeks). Students audition on the next to the last day of their last week of intensive. Some advanced students attending intensives elsewhere may be excused from the full 3 weeks in summer residence before auditioning.

A student can audition for any part ,BUT auditioning for parts for which you obviously won't be considered will annoy instructors. IOW if you are intermediate 3 do not audition for Sugar Plum Fairy. Some parts are dependent on skill level. Some parts are a bit dependent on costume size.

Instructors review auditions and decide parts. A student may get parts for which she did not audition and not get parts for which she did audition. There are 8 shows. More than one person will have the various dolls. Students will be assigned multiple parts, but in different shows. One student is not going to be Sugar Plum Fairy in 8 shows.

Students are asked for conflicts in the rehearsal and show schedule mid to late October. Students are notified of their assigned parts in the beginning of November. Everyone gets a part. Some student's parts may be very small, but the instructors do find something for each student.

Our studio does a non-Nutcracker ballet each fall. Which levels are eligible to audition depends on the ballet.

Auditions take place one day in the spring. Cast is announced about a week later via email, and then posted in the studio. Rehearsals start over the summer for principals, and in the fall for chorus.

If someone would prefer not to accept a certain role I assume they would make that known at the audition - that's how it goes in the musical theater auditions my kids are involved in. Conflict sheets are filled out at the time of auditions.

Side note: This year's ballet is Super Mario Brothers, and dd is Mario. We're really excited about it.

When my son was at the pre-pro school, they held auditions for Nutcracker and any other company productions for which they wanted to use students. The kids would audition in groups and would come out of the auditions with sheets of paper that listed the part(s) each one had been assigned.

I suppose it would have been possible to turn down a role, although I'm not aware of anyone who did so.

Within a few days, there was a list posted that showed the entire cast.

At the small studio he's attended for the last three years, they don't do any full-on productions. Students do audition for the competition teams, however, Each student or parent fills out a form saying the style(s) of dance in which the student is interested in competing and/or how many dances, total, the student may join. (Each dance the student does requires a separate choreography, rehearsal and costume fee and additional fees at each competition.) We also have to say whether the student is interested in doing any solos or just the group dances. 

In theory, students are required to attend a week of summer intensive in order to audition. However, one year the intensive conflicted with a pre-existing commitment, and my son was allowed to substitute a couple of hours of private instruction. 

We would get notified by e-mail within a day or so of our student's placement(s). 

That studio put on two showcases/recitals each year, one holiday-themed show and one traditional year-end recital. Each class and competition group performed. In addition, an invitation went out the whole studio for any interested students to join the "production number." We paid a small additional participation fee, and anyone who signed up attended extra rehearsals to learn and practice a musical theatre-type dance. There were often a few featured roles, which were assigned by the studio director during early rehearsals.

Is that the kind of thing you are wanting to know?

Our studio has auditions for children fourth grade and under early in the summer. In late August, the Artistic Director calls specific dancers to audition for parts, but these auditions include most of the older dancers, who all learn the role and then perform it for the AD and ballet mistress. Weeks later the AD sends an email with the casting. You may not turn down a role or complain. You get the part that the AD determines is the best one for the student and the show. Our AD gets annoyed when people ask for a certain part (one year she had five girls ask her if they could be Clara).

At our studio, the auditions are held on one day with different levels auditioning at different times. We have a cast of about 80. I suspect the biggest roles are chosen long before the auditions because there are only about ten girls capable of performing well on pointe right now. For most roles, they consider level, height and previous roles.

If a student was cast in a role, but turned it down, I don't think he or she would be cast again in the future. It'd be a pretty big deal -especially if they pulled out after the choreography was set...

Thanks for answering this everyone who has so far.  I'd love to hear what other dance studios do too, if anyone would still like to share.  I'm at my big keyboard, so I can tell why I'm asking.  This is not a JAWM.  I'm not even sure if I'm asking anything, but I'm really mad over a situation at our long beloved dance studio.  I am sorry this is so long!   Please don't quote.  I may delete portions later.

First of all, as background, my son is a theater kid.  He auditions for stuff all the time.  He probably averages 1-2 auditions a month.  He's auditioned for everything from small community theater to large professional theaters.  The audition process for him no matter where he goes is he shows up for an audition (format might depend).  He may get a callback.  He gets offered a role in the production via phone or e-mail and we may then get additional info at that time (commitment, schedule, etc) or we may get that at the original audition.  He then can accept or decline a role graciously.  He may be released from the process by phone or e-mail. 

There have been a couple times we have declined.  Like last year my son auditioned for a large production of Wizard of Oz.  He was a 7th grader.  1-5th graders were auditioned separately for a munchkin chorus.  All those kids were cast and no munchkin roles were set before rehearsals started.  6th through adult were considered for multiple chorus roles and main roles.  Well my 7th grader was small and was cast as a munchkin with the 1st-5th graders.  He happily would have taken a named munchkin role.  But there was a participation fee for youth in the production and it was a drive across town.  We were not thinking he was going to get much out of a chorus role with much younger kids possibly performing for the first time.  He had played Hansel in Hansel and Gretel on the same stage and honestly, I just would have preferred he weren't cast at all.  I suspect the director may have had him in mind for a named munchkin role, but I wasn't willing to risk $200 and months of driving through rush hour to try it.  I happily pay for extracurriculars for my kids, but not blindly.  I have to feel like they're going to get something out of it and both the time and money will be worth the investment.  I am pretty picky.  There are a couple theaters in town where we will no longer audition or take classes just because I don't feel they're professionally run.

Another situation was he auditioned for 2 shows in the same week and was offered great parts in both.  That was harder.  But one director knew he was auditioning for both (he was called in for that role).  He accepted one role and graciously turned down the other.  Anyway, this is specifically why I asked about turning down a dance role. 

Sooo ...our small dance studio does one very large stage production a year.  It stages usually first week of March.  This is my daughter's 5th year auditioning for that show, and our 6th year with this studio.  We are not there on a scholarship - we spend thousands of dollars on dance for both my kids there every year, we donate additional money, we volunteer, etc.  There are 6 levels of dance there and then apprentice/company members.  Levels 3-6 have a core group of kids that compose a performing ensemble.  It's about 30ish kids total I think ranging from 8-18.  My 10 year old dd is in the level 3 of this group (and this is her 3rd year in that group).

So, this big show is an open audition for anyone.  Not just dancers from our studio/company.   This year they chose a show that would require a number of younger dancers to be highlighted because the show the ensemble did this summer (they offer a summer intensive for level 3 through company) was really strong for younger kids.  The director said that when the show was announced.  My dd was in that summer show and had a great experience.  The big show has cast every kid that auditions since we started and typically has a cast size of about 80.  They reserve the right to not cast everyone since it is an open audition.  There is a modest participation fee to be in the winter show.

We have done this show 4 times.  The first 3 times, I thought it was a great experience.  I thought the director did a great job getting all the kids highlighted at some point and it was engaging and challenging for at least my kid.  Last year, was not as good.  A few kids in my dd's level were highlighted in bigger roles, but the kids that weren't ended up being grouped with some much younger kids, some only dancing an hour or 2 a week (my dd is at the studio 8 hours a week right now and has been the last couple years, dancing 4 hours a week as level 2 before that).  The choreography was extremely simple.  Last year, there was weird weather stuff and several rehearsals had to be cancelled.  I always just assumed they simplified things with some of the larger groups last year because of the lost rehearsals, but I do not know that for sure.  I would not have had my dd participate if I would have known what her part was going to look like, but weather happens so we moved on.  They actually chose a musical theater show and convert it to a dance show.  So there's a lot of creativity involved in the translation.  I can see that works better with some shows than others.

A year or 2 ago, they moved to a format of charging you the participation fee AT the audition.  And then revealing the cast list at a meet and greet the following week where everyone finds out their role.  I've hated that since it started.  I think the director can cast how they want, but I think it's a lot to ask kids, some as young as 5 to be excited for highlighted friends while being cast to a lower role on the spot.  It would be nice to get the list via e-mail before the meet and greet. I would even love it more if they had an opt out option like my theater son has instead of charging me before we even see a rehearsal schedule.  Certainly people have dropped out due to schedule.  It rehearses weekends from Oct through Feb, so it's a fairly long time to keep weekends open.  Although, many people have conflicts and they do try to work with that as best they can. 

Anyway - the situation that happened this year is we went to the meet and greet.  EVERY single peer of my daughter was cast above her.  I had a hard time holding it together, I'm not sure how she did.  Some of the girls highlighted are very strong dancers.  Some are really at the same or similar place as my own kid.  This was a group of 10 girls selected to be highlighted. 5 of them have parents that work at dance or have a parent that dances in the company.  There is certainly nepotism that goes on there, but honestly, I expect that almost everywhere.  I just can't believe they left ONE child out of that group.  The director pulled my dd aside and talked to her yesterday but honestly I'm SEETHING at how this was handled and how the cast list is revealed.  My child was certainly not the only child swallowing tears at that meeting.  The show is ANNIE.  I may remove that name later just for anonymity.  So you can see why it's a fun show for the younger girls.  So AGAIN, regretted even having her audition and now I've paid a fee and am feeling locked in and trapped. 

My 10 year old dd loves this dance studio with the passion of a thousand suns.  Is very disappointed, but wants to participate.  I have warned her I'm worried that this is not a good use of time and we could pick up other dance, theater, or acrobatics classes (this director loves kids that can do some stage acro.  This is not my kid's strong suit.)  somewhere if she wanted to work on those skills.  Or heck, I could just have my weekends back and we could relax a little more.  I had pondered sending an e-mail not complaining about casting, but just telling them how hurtful this mass reveal of the cast list could be for some kids.  I don't think many professionals have to endure that kind of casting.  I'd much prefer my child found out at home and could get her game face on at a minimum before being launched into a cast meeting. 

Just because of the way it was handled, IF I allowed her to audition next year, I would skip the meet and greet and if she were cast similarly I would claim scheduling issues immediately and send my regrets.  I wouldn't consider it totally dishonest, because we DO very much clear our schedule for this thing as the schedule is revealed and it's not easy.  Anyway - any thoughts about that are appreciated too.  I am truly not an over the top parent.  We have been at this studio for 6 years, I've loved it, and never have complained about anything even though this casting thing did bother me when this format started.  I'm having a hard time remembering how it was done before. 

My first thought is that I would feel the same as you.  

First of all,  I have strong feelings about a public reveal of the cast list. One of my kids went through that ONCE in musical theater, and it lives in infamy as a "what not to do" at that company. It was a very dramatic evening, and rifts were made that haven't been repaired all these years later. (I wasn't there, but another mom called me on her cell on the way home in tears -- they'd been gracious there but fell apart as soon as they got in the car.)

Second, and way less important (mostly because the first point is one I feel so very strongly about),  I would not like paying a participation fee without being able to look over the schedule conflicts.  Our studio is very careful about only calling people to rehearsal that need to be there -- no sitting around waiting, reading a book or doing homework.  Smaller roles don't have as many rehearsals, and even larger roles have time off, so the idea of "this will take up every Wednesday evening and Saturday for the fall semester" isn't really accurate. Also, frankly, some chorus rehearsals might be lower key and a kid can do something else afterwards that a person in a different role isn't able to do.  For example, dd's rehearsals tend to be exhausting, so she just turned down a babysitting job for a Saturday night -- she knows what she's going to be working on that day, and knows she'll need to recover -- other dancers might have a less physically demanding day and be fine to go out that evening.

I'll be interested in what others have to say, since I'm obviously looking at this through the lens of my own experience and have ISSUES about some memories your post stirred up.  :cursing:

If I were in your shoes, I would not pull my DD out of the show- unless you were willing, as a family, to find a new studio as your studio home.   I think pulling her out will look like sour grapes to everyone- and especially to the people who will cast in the future.  I've helped in the casting process for musicals before, and the kid who dropped out last year would absolutely not be considered for a bigger role this year.  Maybe the following year he would be considered for a supporting role, but one drop out could affect every role in the future with this studio.  

As a dance mom, it's way too easy to get caught up and get disappointed with our kids.   It's hard, but I've had to look both of my kids in the eye and encourage them to do their absolute best this year and show everyone that next year you deserve a second look. 

What I would do, though, is send a carefully worded e-mail about the revealing of the parts.  I agree that the meet and great sounds like a horrible idea on many levels. 

I'm very sorry your daughter feels singled out. If I was in your position, I would also be hurting for my daughter.

*Very gently*

However, the dance world is not like the theater world. Dance auditions are not like theater auditions. Our experience has been that when you audition for a ballet or dance production, you audition with the understanding that you will accept any role you are offered. Period. End of conversation. There is no accepting or declining of dance roles; you either wish to be a part of the production or you don't. Declining the role would generally result in never being offered another role. Ever. By auditioning you are committing to be responsible for being at every.single.rehearsal. The only exception is severe sickness . . . with a doctor's note. The ballet or dance production must be your number one priority.

Our professional ballet company puts out their rehearsal schedule prior to children's auditions. You must make sure that you are available for every rehearsal for every role prior to the audition, because all rehearsals are mandatory. They expect the ballet to be your first priority (and the rehearsal schedule is subject to change at any time). There is no fee for the audition. Girls are auditioned in groups by height. Boys are auditioned separately. Younger children are cast on the spot and sent out to their parents. Older children, who are auditioning for larger roles, generally receive a callback or not. At the callback, they cast the older children and send them out to their parents. They do try to send out the children cast as a group first. Then the kids who aren't cast are sent out afterwards, so they don't have to see the other children being congratulated by their parents. There is no accepting or declining your role.

Our ballet school's performance company does a group reveal. They put out the rehearsal schedule before the audition. Again, you must be available for all rehearsals for all roles since you don't know what you will be cast as. The only time they will excuse you from a rehearsal is if you have a conflicting rehearsal for a production with the professional ballet company. There is a small $10 audition fee. At the end of the audition, they call in the parents and pass out roles as a group. Everyone gets cast, so I don't think that's a big deal. It would never have occurred to me to be upset over one child getting a slightly bigger role, because all the children's roles are supporting roles. The professional students (12 & up) dance the main roles and they are cast how the directors choose without an audition.

I would not drop out of the production unless you are planning to leave this studio and are comfortable burning bridges. This is the nature of dance. Generally, they are looking for a particular number of girls at a particular height to match the choreography. While it may look as though your daughter was singled out, that is probably not the case. The most likely situation is that they need a certain number of girls for a certain role, and your daughter was the odd one out. It's not about excluding; it's about the choreography. You will encounter similar attitudes wherever you go in the dance world. Dancers are cast based on ability, but also based on height, body type, and facial beauty. No one cares if your daughter is the only one not cast. If they need 10 girls and your daughter is number 11, then tough luck. You can shop around for a studio that is gentler and more inclusive with their students, but if your daughter wants to be involved in productions, especially professional productions, then this is what you need to be prepared for.

I would not confront anyone or complain, because I don't think your studio has done anything out of the ordinary. I would not drop out, because that looks like sour grapes. I would encourage you to support your daughter in her smaller role. I would look at it as a character-building experience. After the production is over, you can decide whether you want to continue with this studio or shop around for a new one.

My son has done a few shows with youth theatre programs that do reveal roles during the first rehearsal or read-through. The routine for that group is that kids audition and wait a few days to hear whether they have been invited to join the cast. At that point, without knowing what role is being offered, parents have to decide whether to register the kid and pay the tuition. Specific casting is then announced during the first scheduled rehearsal. I hate it, too. And, in fact, we told him after the third one that we were not interested in having him do any more shows with a group that functions that way. 

The first time he did a show with that group, we knew before registration what role he was offered. I'm certain that the group changed its policy because too many people were choosing not to follow through and pay tuition if their kids weren't cast in starring roles, but it still irked me, because it was obvious the director had casting planned and simply kept it a secret until the public announcement.

(I know this is true, because once my son tried to drop out after the audition and before the first rehearsal because of some scheduling conflicts, and the director begged him to stay because she had cast him in the lead.)

He's also done a few shows with a larger youth program run by a professional theatre that requires an initial audition to be accepted to the program and a second round of auditions during the first week of rehearsals that determine specific casting. On the fourth day of rehearsal, after they have all learned the required pieces and re-auditioned for the parts they want, the official cast list is posted. The staff provides about 15 minutes of time for everyone to look at the list, call home and tell families, cry if necessary, congratulate each other, etc., and then rehearsal begins.  I don't have a problem with that, because the process is very open. 

Although the staff gives a big lecture each year about not dropping out because you don't get the part you want, it is possible to withdraw after casting is posted. They do lose a couple of students that way each year. 

My son has had great experiences with that program, even when he doesn't get the exact role he wants. However, the one year my daughter signed up to participate, she was not feeling like she was getting a lot out of it. An opportunity for a trip to NYC came up, and she asked for a couple of days off from rehearsal in order to go. She had a very small part in the show and was spending big chunks of each rehearsal sitting quietly on the side waiting. So, we figured it would not be a big deal. The director would not release her, however. She decided the trip was more important, and we withdrew her from the program with a refund of most of the tuition. She had no interest in trying again, but having observed casting there for a few years, I feel pretty certain she would have spent a couple of years in the ensemble if she had decided to go back.

In general, my preference is for youth stuff to be run as much as possible as it would be done in the real, professional world. I'm not aware of any professional theatre or dance company that invites performers into the cast but keeps specific roles secret until a big public reveal. It seems to me that the only reasons to take that approach would be for the convenience of the directors: It maximizes the probability that parents will be willing to pay fees up front in hopes their kids will get good roles and minimizes the possibility that unhappy, disappointed young performers will cry or otherwise make life difficult for the adults.

I'm not a fan.

Every director thinks his show is the beat all, end all. I have met many directors over the years who end up putting really good kids in minor roles just because they want to hold onto that kid and keep him from working in another show, Then, when the kiddo learns of his minor role and declines, the director mentally vows to never cast the kid again and shame on his heinous mother.

I have also met more great directors over the years who really want what is best for the kiddo. That kind of director is usually pre-audition casting anyway. And he will usually talk to the mom in advance and ask her if the kiddo has anything else because his part is minor, but he would love to have the kiddo anyway if possible.

But in regards to the original poster, I would never have my kiddo in a show that cost me money. I made the mistake one time of having my kiddo in a acting/dance troupe that had fees for shows. It was a nightmare, feelings were always hurt, the moms had jealousy issues, etc. I learned the hard way to stay away from those kind of places. If a studio cannot throw whatever shows are necessary with just the tuition income, then I am not interested. There are too many community and professional theaters who will cast a kiddo for free or as a paid job where I live. Good child dancers are always in big demand. We are fortunate to live in such an area.

Good luck with your decision. I am shocked that a 10 year old is too old for Annie. One of our friends is in the national traveling performance of Annie and she is 10. Annie, as written, is supposed to be 13.

I am definitely not thinking about pulling her out this year.  She would freak and I do feel obligated.  I have definitely kept most of my thoughts to myself and haven't said much to my 10 year old.  It's actually a hard line to draw because I also want to raise a daughter that deserves and demands respect.  As a long term paying and financially supporting family of this studio, I definitely don't feel a cast reveal like this is remotely respectful.  Even the girl cast to the lead (who totally deserved the lead) was overwhelmed and might have done better finding out at home. 

I do find it interesting that many dance studios consider showing for an audition a commitment through the entire process.  Especially for something I'm paying for and I haven't seen the schedule for yet.  With my son and his theater stuff, when we've had to turn down roles, it was always DURING the casting process not after rehearsals begin.  Doing that after accepting a role and rehearsals start is a quick way to be blacklisted at a theater without very extenuating circumstances.  But I definitely don't have the feeling we wouldn't be welcomed back to audition at those places.  I can see more now why it's presented that way at our dance studio.  But, that said, because of the style of the show it's not exactly like Nutcracker.  It's a cusp between musical theater and dance really.  Our studio has done portions of nutcracker and casting for that show is much more clear.  A few kids are featured and levels are really clear cut the way they've done it.

I also feel differently about things I am paying for vs. maybe a more professional opportunity.  Because we have had my son in so many auditions, I see a huge range.  Some places are very professional, full schedule and expectations written out clearly in front.  And some are much less so.  Our studio is smaller and more relaxed and does not spell things out as clearly as they should all the time. 

I may just chose to avoid the 2 productions this director does per year for a while.  It's not part of the core program and is not required.  On Monday, my daughter was chosen by the ballet teacher to lead/open one of the dances for the Christmas show and I'm sure the timing was not coincidence.  My daughter is probably NOT bound to be professional and I can't hardly talk her into trying some dance/theater/acro classes somewhere else (there is some crossover in dance communities here).  Our company has otherwise been warm, welcoming, and inclusive and often features dancers that would not be featured at other studios (bigger builds, various ethnicities, etc).  My dd might actually do better at an all ballet studio.  She very much has a ballet build and look and that is her strongest area.  She has no interest in doing that though.  She is the same height as a least 4 of the girls selected and if anything a slimmer build, but whatever.   

Honestly, I just wish they wouldn't cast level 3+ that they don't have a meaningful role for.  I would be irritated initially, but get over it quickly.  The director did tell my dd her group would be featured in one area of the show.  We'll see how it looks at the end.  If it's like last year, she won't be doing it next year because last year we jokingly call that show the rainbow loom show.  She did hours and hours of rainbow loom with other girls and popped onstage briefly to do very basic choreography.  I just felt it was a waste of many hours of time and money.

I also feel like the switched to the reveal format to get the money up front and to get bodies in the door for the first meeting. Which is really like 10 minutes of information and an hour of painful cast reveal.  They do attract a fair number of dancers from outside the studio and it's an awesome opportunity for newer dancers. 

The other thing about our studio is for this show the rehearsal times are like between 4-9pm on Saturdays and 2-8 pm on Sundays.  You can be called any time during those times between the months of october and feb.  If I had a full schedule where I could say, oh well, at least we have most of our weekends because I knew exactly when dd would be called, I would also be less irritated.  The big reveal/read aloud is what makes me the maddest though and I don't get the feeling even professional studios are doing that.  Even if a list is just posted publicly, a kid could walk away to regroup if needed.

My son has done a few shows with youth theatre programs that do reveal roles during the first rehearsal or read-through. The routine for that group is that kids audition and wait a few days to hear whether they have been invited to join the cast. At that point, without knowing what role is being offered, parents have to decide whether to register the kid and pay the tuition. Specific casting is then announced during the first scheduled rehearsal. I hate it, too. And, in fact, we told him after the third one that we were not interested in having him do any more shows with a group that functions that way. 

That's kind of brutal!  You know my kid has done one summer intesive the last few years that was kind of like that.  The initial auditions were very competitive though so it was a really strong group assembled and they seemed to really make it their business to make sure everyone got a lot of experience and stage time.  I can see not wanting to do it for a more traditional production though! 

That is a terrible way to announce casting. It doesn't allow anyone to respond appropriately. It's just as okay to be thrilled about a role as it is to feel really sad and disappointed.

I agree with the PP who said that if you drop, be prepared to walk away from the studio. It is amazing to me the grudges that are held in the arts. Every individual thinks his art is the most important. There is little collaboration and much drama.

If you stay, don't recommend announcing the cast a different way until well after the production. Also, and gently, you might ask one of her teachers if there is something she needs to work on for the next audition. It is easy to see the good qualities and even easier to not notice the bad ones of our children. My sons are very involved in theatre. I've caught myself getting frustrated with roles and treatment. In some cases I was right, but in others, there were weaknesses that I had been overlooking.

Every director thinks his show is the beat all, end all. I have met many directors over the years who end up putting really good kids in minor roles just because they want to hold onto that kid and keep him from working in another show, Then, when the kiddo learns of his minor role and declines, the director mentally vows to never cast the kid again and shame on his heinous mother.

I have also met more great directors over the years who really want what is best for the kiddo. That kind of director is usually pre-audition casting anyway. And he will usually talk to the mom in advance and ask her if the kiddo has anything else because his part is minor, but he would love to have the kiddo anyway if possible.

But in regards to the original poster, I would never have my kiddo in a show that cost me money. I made the mistake one time of having my kiddo in a acting/dance troupe that had fees for shows. It was a nightmare, feelings were always hurt, the moms had jealousy issues, etc. I learned the hard way to stay away from those kind of places. If a studio cannot throw whatever shows are necessary with just the tuition income, then I am not interested. There are too many community and professional theaters who will cast a kiddo for free or as a paid job where I live. Good child dancers are always in big demand. We are fortunate to live in such an area.

Good luck with your decision. I am shocked that a 10 year old is too old for Annie. One of our friends is in the national traveling performance of Annie and she is 10. Annie, as written, is supposed to be 13.

Oh - the girl cast as Annie is 10 (on the late end I think).  My dd is on the younger end of 10.  7 of the featured girls are 9/10, all fairly close in size, and the director even made up orphan names for some of them.  They weren't just selected as the core group from the original musical.  They aren't locked into 10 mice 4 feet tall because that's what they have for costuming. 

Some paid auditioned programs and intensives here have been great for us.  And we actually live in a huge theater and arts community.  My son could audition non-stop if he wanted and the vast majority of stuff he does audition for is free to participate.  The "rehearsal fee" for this dance show is $60 and it can be waived by scholarship.  So it's an extremely modest fee, but this is also a studio I'm dropping $300+ a month to right now for classes and support in many other ways. 

Your stories about directors are interesting.  I've seen all sorts of crazy stuff too and very little gets me super worked up anymore.  I do definitely prefer my kids NOT to be cast so we can move on.  Because this dance studio has been over the top wonderful for years for the most part, I'm having a hard time. If we looked for another studio I wouldn't even know where to start.  I definitely feel locked in for this school year and it might take me that long to even start to convince my 10 year old she should branch out a bit.  My dd does not have the confidence of my theater kid.