Menu

Unchildproofable house

Elisabet1

I am so fed up!

Some of you said a while back to post pictures of the problem areas...so here goes...

If this picture posts..these are the knob thingies that turn on the tub. No way to stop them from being easily turned on. Many of the doors are French doors with no way to bolt a door down so it can be locked. And the doors that are not French doors, are like the handles I am trying to post the pictures of. Even the bathrooms do not have locks on them.

I am in my bedroom right now, with furniture up against my bedroom door (French Doors), trying to mop up my bathroom(unlock able French doors) from the kids flooding it again. Thing is, I was standing right here. But one would turn on a water, I would dash and turn it off while another would turn on a water and I would dash back and turn it off. Soon, I started screaming for husband while the kids went back and forth. This led to tons of splashing.  While screaming bloody murder while dashing back and forth, the floor got to be an inch deep in water, and the bathtub was quickly filling and the shower got turned on and a towel thrown over the drain so prevent it from draining. 

The other day, while I was gone, and someone else was watching them, it flooded so bad it went through to downstairs.

I am fed up! But I am not wealthy. Is it humanly possible to childproof this house..without hiring a contracting and spending thousands of dollars? We have several sets of French doors and every single door, even the regular ones, have handles like this. I need to make it so they cannot turn on the water too.post-75021-0-39763800-1412300503_thumb.jpg

post-75021-0-39763800-1412300503_thumb.jpg

Can't you just put in a different kind of doorknob?  It's not that hard to do yourself.

Also, if your kids are flooding the house and you're screaming at them to stop with no one listening, that sounds like a behavior issue that goes beyond childproofing.  How old are your kids?

Can't you just put in a different kind of doorknob?  It's not that hard to do yourself.

Also, if your kids are flooding the house and you're screaming at them to stop with no one listening, that sounds like a behavior issue that goes beyond childproofing.  How old are your kids?

toddler and then 5 yr old with autism. I was screaming for my husband to come, and telling them to stop while turning each off myself and running back and forth between each faucet.

access to this bathroom are through 2 sets of French doors. So changing door handles would not work on any of the French doors.

toddler and then 5 yr old with autism. I was screaming for my husband to come, and telling them to stop while turning each off myself and running back and forth between each faucet.

Were they taking a bath at the time, or just playing in the bathroom?  If they were actually bathing, it sounds like you'll have to be right there watching them.  If they were just playing in the bathroom, I'd install a different kind of doorknob that can be childproofed. 

Were they taking a bath at the time, or just playing in the bathroom?  If they were actually bathing, it sounds like you'll have to be right there watching them.  If they were just playing in the bathroom, I'd install a different kind of doorknob that can be childproofed. 

They were not bathing at the time. I was standing here watching them. But they ran in and suddenly each turned on a different faucet. And while I would turn one off, the other would turn theirs back on. It literally was back and forth between the faucets. I am not allowed to lift anyone above 20 pounds now. So I could not just lift one and remove them. But even if I could, the other kept running back. It is, literally, like herding cats.

I guess I'm not understanding how the house is laid out.  Do you have to turn the knob to open the door?

Nope. In fact, this happened while I was going potty. I know I can just go potty elsewhere in the future. But, ultimately, they just have to push on the doors that are French doors and they open. No knob turning. Where there are knobs, the knobs as the sort that you cannot just put covers on, like in the picture. So the one picture is to my closet. So my house is getting trashed. Toddler has full access to everything from my makeup to everything in the pantry, to everything. High up shelves are reserved for dangerous stuff like knives and medications.

We had tub handles like that when dd1 was younger, we had found handle guards online that were inexpensive (it was some baby proofing site but I can't remember the name).

Do you know what to call these handles so I can do a search? When I just look at childproofing stuff online I am not coming up with anything. Sorry..silly not to know what to call these handles...but it would make it so I could search.

Oh...but Safety First had something..but those snapped off. Safety First has never seemed to be very strong.

Nope. In fact, this happened while I was going potty. I know I can just go potty elsewhere in the future. But, ultimately, they just have to push on the doors that are French doors and they open. No knob turning. Where there are knobs, the knobs as the sort that you cannot just put covers on, like in the picture. So the one picture is to my closet. So my house is getting trashed. Toddler has full access to everything from my makeup to everything in the pantry, to everything. High up shelves are reserved for dangerous stuff like knives and medications.

Could you rubber band the french doors together so that you have to undo the rubber band to get in there? Just take a rubber band and loop it around both door handles until it is tight.

Could you rubber band the french doors together so that you have to undo the rubber band to get in there? Just take a rubber band and loop it around both door handles until it is tight.

My husband bungie corded some of them. But then I could not get in to the rooms. I always had to run to him to open everything from my bedroom door to the bathroom door. I could just go back to that. But it would be great to have something better. Something that I could open. I also worried it would damage the handles under the stress. But of course, handles would be easier to replace than all the water damage we are collecting here.

I'd consider putting on slide latches up high on the doors  http://www.sugatsune.com/products/Images/D_latch_BLS_C_p108.jpg

For the bathroom - hm. Quick & dirty solution is to wind bungee tie down cord around them. It would take time to unwind it. Get the kind with plastic ends so you don't scratch the handles & tub.

Also, if the water shut off for the tub is easily accessible & behind a cupboard door, I'd turn it off at the source & put a lock on the cupboard. 

I guess what I would do, in that case, is install a door chain on the two doors- chain on one side, the slide part on the other- above where they can reach.  It won't be pretty, but it should keep them out of the bathroom.

You know..I never thought of that! Then I could put it high enough and there are no chairs to push against the doors up here. And upstairs is the problem area. Won't solve the pantry..but the pantry is not giving us water issues. The water is the biggest concern.

You know..I never thought of that! Then I could put it high enough and there are no chairs to push against the doors up here. And upstairs is the problem area. Won't solve the pantry..but the pantry is not giving us water issues. The water is the biggest concern.

I used to work in a group home for autistic children.  I'm pretty good at coming up with creative childproofing solutions. ;)

I'd consider putting on slide latches up high on the doors  http://www.sugatsune.com/products/Images/D_latch_BLS_C_p108.jpg

For the bathroom - hm. Quick & dirty solution is to wind bungee tie down cord around them. It would take time to unwind it. Get the kind with plastic ends so you don't scratch the handles & tub.

Also, if the water shut off for the tub is easily accessible & behind a cupboard door, I'd turn it off at the source & put a lock on the cupboard. 

I am going to post a picture of the tub..just sec....

Hire a handy man.  Change the doors and the handles.  What you have is dangerous.  What if that water they were running was too hot?  Or they slipped and fell into the bath?  It's better to spend the money to fit the problem once and for all esp. since you have a SN child who is not going to grow out of this need for a safer environment.  

Tub..do you think if I removed the front panels..which would take some tools I assume...the water turn off would be behind here? I assume I would likely have to have it repaired after. Honestly, I never liked this tub! But I do not have a lot of money for repairs. 

You should be able to put a top bolt that runs perpendicular to the floor on one the the French doors so it remains closed when the other opens. Then that doorknob would be a non functioning one and the other doorknob catch would be on the other door.

Does that make sense?

You should be able to put a top bolt that runs perpendicular to the floor on one the the French doors so it remains closed when the other opens. Then that doorknob would be a non functioning one and the other doorknob catch would be on the other door.

Does that make sense?

One of the French doors has something like this..but I have no clue how to put this in.

I called a place that specializes in childproofing and they said they did not do that sort of thing. So..I am unsure what kind of person I would hire to do this, or if I would need to replace the doors, or what.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B2S1ZC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Wouldn't these work on the doors?

Ok..so I ordered that and the door monkey they showed on the same page. I just ordered one of each since I have free shipping so I can try them both. Thanks!

Cancelled the door monkey. Realized in looking at it, if you are ever in a room with that lock on it, and shut the door, it will latch shut, locking the person in there.

I had that safety first cover on my pantry door, it worked fine. It eventually broke but it worked for many years.

The French doors on our bedroom have what appears to be called a flush bolt. It slide up the top of one door and the bolt goes into the wood of the door frame. I'm sure you could install it yourself.

Eta - actually I think it's a surface bolt not a flush bolt.

I'd consider putting on slide latches up high on the doors http://www.sugatsune.com/products/Images/D_latch_BLS_C_p108.jpg

Yes, you could use a lock like that to bolt the doors together.

Are the doors wood or are they hollow-core?

I would pick up the children and take them to where there are no faucets until they got over their need to keep turning them on.  (ETA: I see you are not allowed to lift anyone.  Then I'd take them by the arm or collar or maybe even have them on a harness/leash if they refused to mind.  That is a safety issue.  There is no amount of babyproofing that can stop a kid who is absolutely determined to do what he shouldn't.)

You could also put a hook and eye on the outside of their bedroom door if their bedroom is a safe place.

I am curious why your tub and sink were both able to fill up so fast that the kids could overflow them, with you in the room?  All of our tubs and sinks have an overflow hole that lets out the majority of water that exceeds that hole.  It would take a Very Long time to overflow one of our sinks or tubs.  

I would pick up the children and take them to where there are no faucets until they got over their need to keep turning them on.

You could also put a hook and eye on the outside of their bedroom door if their bedroom is a safe place.

I think part of the problem is she can't lift more than 20 pounds and the older is 5. With French doors you have to have a bolt to the top of one to prevent them both opening when pushed. Once you have one fixed you can use other means for the door handle on the non-fixed one.