Menu

Breakfast Ideas? (GF, DF)

Plateau Mama

I need some ideas for breakfast. I told my kids since they are now on the same schedule I am making one meal for breakfast. (I was tired of cleaning the kitchen three seperate times.) problem is I can't think of many things that all 4 will eat.

Requirements:

Gluten Free

Dairy Free

Not too sweet

Quick to make

Right now I rotate between:

Scrambled eggs, sometimes w/bacon or sausage (middle boy won't eat eggs with anying in them)

Oatmeal

Pumpkin Muffuns

Cinnamon Bannana Bread (on a break from this per their request)

Pumpkin pancakes

On weekends if we have time:

Lemon poppyseed bread

Waffles

Maybe something not typically "breakfast" food? Like beans and rice or stir fry? Sometimes my dc eat dinner leftovers for breakfast; we're not big breakfast-y people. What about crockpot baked sweet potatoes? You could let them cook overnight and sprinkle with bacon and brown sugar.

Vary your egg style?  Hard boiled or fried at times?

I'm currently eating some gf bagels - not the most appetizing by themselves but good if slathered with something!

Rice - I eat rice for breakfast.  I like it with egg and seaweed but that's because I like a traditional Japanese breakfast.  You could serve yours with some leftover stir-fry.  

You listed oatmeal, but I've been making steel cut oatmeal in my crockpot.  So far I've done apples and raisins with cinnamon, pears with ginger and Chinese 5 spice, and peaches (nothing else, just peaches).  In all of them I use either almond or coconut milk (Silk, not the stuff in the cans).  I don't add any sugar, but you could add a little.

Also good in eggs with avacado.  I usually have it with a slice of toast, but you could use a gluten free bread. 

My kids right now like turkey sandwiches for breakfast (wrap in a lettuce leaf with some avocado).

We went through a GF cereal with almond milk phase--we alternated brands

fresh fruit & a handful of nuts

hardboiled eggs & fresh fruit

veggies & hummus

breakfast burritos (potatoes, eggs, sausage whatever in tortillas, fold in aluminum foil, freeze 6 or so in a gallon ziplock--unwrap, microwave 2ish min each)

leftover rotisserie chicken + whatever the kids like (I prefer avocado + a little salsa + egg in a tortilla)

bacon.bacon.bacon.

Vary your egg style? 

Do you all like breakfast casseroles? You can make a large one, adding meat if you wish and some vegetables. Many recipes use bread or flour, but it's not necessary. You can either leave it out, or replace it with potatoes. When I make a breakfast casserole, I cut it into individual portions and freeze the portions. Anyone can take a piece out of the freezer and reheat it in the microwave. It can also be reheated in the oven but it takes much longer. It's not a good idea to thaw it first because it can be too watery that way. Just go from freezer to oven or microwave.

I've made what I call sausage cups on occasion.

Cook up 1/2 lb of bulk sausage (sweet, mild, hot, whatever your preference). You can also add diced onions and peppers. Divide cooked sausage evenly in a 12 part muffin pan. Whisk up 12 eggs until smooth. Poor evenly in muffin cups over sausage. Bake in a 350 oven until knife comes out clean (10-20 minutes?). Cool, then eat.

I usually bake this with/after dinner when the oven is already being used. Then after they're cool, I put them into a ziplock, then the fridge. Then you can reheat however many you need in the microwave.

Chicken sausage (there are many varieties so that allows some options)

Sausage patties

Homemade quickie version of egg drop soup.  I like this in the winter with a hunk of ginger added to homemade chicken stock, sometimes some green onion if I have it.  Dash of soy sauce (a gluten free variety if an option for you) or aminos.  Drizzle in a whisked egg to simmering broth til cooked through.

Breakfast casseroles, frittatas (lots of paleo frittata recipes out there that are dairy and grain free).

Pricey for a family but I like half an avocado with some wild smoked salmon and capers

Deviled eggs.  Sometimes I mash the yolks with guacamole for the added fat and add cumin and chili powder.   There are lots of variations you can do to keep it from getting boring. Homemade (or not) mayo with hot sauce added to dip plain HB eggs in.

Scotch eggs (sausage wrapped HB egg)

leftovers

scrambled eggs with salsa

berries with a coconut milk chia pudding

Any premade baked good is out as one child cannot do soy or corn either. So no bread, bagels or cereal. :-(.

Lots of these look good. Sadly, the one complaining is the one who likes things plain (and has all the allergies). I may have to do some of these and just keep making plain eggs or oatmeal for him.

Don't know how old he is, but if he's old enough, why not tell him that if he wants his eggs plain, he needs to learn to make them?

As far as food, I tend to have reheated leftovers a lot because then I don't have to cook ANYTHING. There's no reason breakfast needs to be breakfast food.

Don't know how old he is, but if he's old enough, why not tell him that if he wants his eggs plain, he needs to learn to make them?

As far as food, I tend to have reheated leftovers a lot because then I don't have to cook ANYTHING. There's no reason breakfast needs to be breakfast food.

He would absolutely cook his own meal.  That's what he has done for the last few years but I am trying to get away from having to clean up 4 different meals each morning.  In the past I've allowed it because one left for school at 7 one at 8 and one gets up whenever.  But now that 3 of the 4 kids leave at the same time I'd like to have one set of dishes to clean up.   He also will tend to make 2-3 things for breakfast so I am cleaning up for an hour after they all leave. 

I agree that breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast, but unfortunately my kids don't agree.  My exchange student is from China and she would be perfectly happy with rice and such for breakfast.  I also find that with an extra person in the house I don't have the leftovers that I used to have.  It's a good thing actually, but I can't depend on them like I used to. 

PlateauMama-our Walmart carries a GF/corn free/soy free cereal.....quite a few of them actually. These two are good, imo:

http://us.naturespath.com/product/qiatm-superfood-chia-buckwheat-hemp-cereal-cranberry-vanilla

http://us.naturespath.com/product/millet-ricetm-fruit-juice-sweetened

There are some lovely rice based tortillas: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/engine-2-tortillas-brown-rice

We also make a ton of cereal bars or granola. If you make huge batches of it, the gallon glass jars at Wal-Mart (or $12 on amazon) hold it nicely.

When we make the breakfast tortillas, we just assemble the GF ones in a different plastic bag....six fit nicely into a gallon ziplock.

PlateauMama-our Walmart carries a GF/corn free/soy free cereal.....quite a few of them actually. These two are good, imo:

http://us.naturespath.com/product/qiatm-superfood-chia-buckwheat-hemp-cereal-cranberry-vanilla

http://us.naturespath.com/product/millet-ricetm-fruit-juice-sweetened

There are some lovely rice based tortillas: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/engine-2-tortillas-brown-rice

We also make a ton of cereal bars or granola. If you make huge batches of it, the gallon glass jars at Wal-Mart (or $12 on amazon) hold it nicely.

When we make the breakfast tortillas, we just assemble the GF ones in a different plastic bag....six fit nicely into a gallon ziplock.

Thanks for the links but unfortunately none of those work. Two of my kids can't have cranberries, the second link has barley, which is gluten, and the tortillas have xantham gum which is corn based. :-(.

What about an apple or berry crisp with a GF oatmeal crust

Homemade rice pudding

Crust less quiche

Fried potatoes

Jimmy Dean makes breakfast scrambles. They probably have things you can't eat, but you can steal their combinations. We use the sausage-potatoes-onions-peppers one to make breakfast burritos. You could use the idea for a breakfast stir-fry and have rice, egg, ham, and veggies.

The crockpot 365 site is gf. There might be acceptable breakfast foods on that site.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/12/breakfast.html

You might want to experiment with ful recipes. It's a bean-based breakfast porridge common in the Middle East.

Also, would this recipe work? It's for rice tortillas. http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2014/01/how-to-make-brown-rice-flour-tortillas.html

He would absolutely cook his own meal. That's what he has done for the last few years but I am trying to get away from having to clean up 4 different meals each morning. In the past I've allowed it because one left for school at 7 one at 8 and one gets up whenever. But now that 3 of the 4 kids leave at the same time I'd like to have one set of dishes to clean up. He also will tend to make 2-3 things for breakfast so I am cleaning up for an hour after they all leave.

I would say the one that cooks cleans up the pots and pans used. Cleaning up is part of cooking.

As for breakfast, we do omelettes or leftovers. Sometimes I will buy breakfast cereal.

I would say the one that cooks cleans up the pots and pans used. Cleaning up is part of cooking.

As for breakfast, we do omelettes or leftovers. Sometimes I will buy breakfast cereal.

I agree, but there is not enough time to clean up before school and I don't want to look at a dirty kitchen all day. I also don't want multiple people in the kitchen. If he's cooking then I can't efficiently prepare breakfast for the rest of my crew.

Sorry! I have a good friend with the same allergy lineup....I knew she didn't do gums, but I didn't know why.

gums contain soy. I have yet to find a soy free gum.  

I was just thinking about adding a grits/ham/cheese in our breakfast routine - you could try a cheese substitute or just leave it out for the dairy free option.

grits are corn.

I think your best bet is to find things you can make in advance like hard boiled eggs or waffles. When I am being super mom I make big batches of gluten free waffles and freeze them.

I've been trying to find time to do this but it seems as fast as I cook it they eat it. Feeding 3 teens and a 6 yo is a crazy amount of food!

cream of rice - I grind brown rice in the blender to a flour with my Vitamix. Lots of salt, butter or ghee, and brown sugar = yum.  My kids love this.

potato scramble - potatoes can go whole in the crockpot overnight and then cut and fried with eggs and veggies in the morning.

breakfast tacos - scrambles eggs, corn tortillas (covered and heated in the oven), salsa.  a great lunch, too.  

Egg bake. It freezes well, just portion it out. To reheat, we warm it up in the microwave ar about 50% power.

In a 9 X 13 pan dump in a bag of hashbrowns, the aldi bag is the perfect size, I want to say 22 oz. Add in whatever meat and veggies you prefer. We do 1/2 to 1 lb browned sausage,1/4 diced onion,1/4 diced green pepper quite often.

Wisk up 14 eggs, SIL has added in chicken stock in lieu of milk and it worked just fine, but you can use just eggs. Add in salt, pepper and any other seasonings you want. Italian seasonings, basil, thyme, etc are good, so is dry mustard. Pour over the hashbrowns mixture.

Bake 45 min to 1 hour. Until firm (ccheck with a knife)