Menu

Need lunch ideas for DH

naturally

DH no longer has access to a fridge or a microwave at work for his lunch. I need ideas on things he can take that don't need to be kept very cold (he takes a mesh backpack with an ice pack but it doesn't keep things cold for long) and don't need heated. He can't take things in a thermos either. He works in security so it all has to be "seen".

Any ideas?

Can't he just open the thermos for the guards?  My DH works in a VERY secure place.  He takes in an instrument in it's case and lunch in containers all the time.  Occasionally it gets looked at, or even sniffed by dogs, but he's allowed to bring it in.  If DH had no fridge or microwave at work, I'd be tempted to get him one of those little workplace crockpots that warms your leftovers in time for lunch.

I don't know if this would help. but we get DD this lunchbox this year and it keeps things very cold with just a normal ice pack from the dollar store. It's also quite big (of course, choose a different color):

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Lunch-Duffle-Purple-Flower/dp/B0043E8JZW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1411595491&sr=8-14&keywords=lunch+bag

Sandwiches with peanut butter…. or butter and cheese… maybe?

Hard boiled eggs.

Hummus packs, pita bread, cut up cucumbers/mini carrots.

Those canned tuna salad packs.

Maybe a can of spaghettios or something, if he'll eat them room temp.

The Go-to-Picnic lunches, although they might not be enough for a grown man.

Found this:http://www.columbusparent.com/content/stories/2011/02/23/ntk-the-go-to-guide-school-lunches.html

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/827677

Cold meats, sliced (chicken, steak, pork chops, ham, meat loaf, turkey, etc) cold tacos, sliders, hot dogs, pizza, tuna, egg salad...

Finger veggies, or salad, dip, dressing, etc.

Bread (ie make a sandwich) or muffin, bagel, cheese bun, crackers, granola bar, pasta salad, potato salad, etc.

Cheese, yogurt, boiled eggs, cottage cheese, etc

2 or more fruit (fresh, processed or dried)

Desserts

For the last 100 years or so, DH has taken the following for lunch: PBJ sandwiches, apple, pretzels and carrots. None of it needs to be refrigerated.

I would go with sandwiches (no mayo), fruit, chips, cheese and crackers. The sort of thing that gets packed in school lunches.

My ds is in a similar lunch situation at his school. No fridge. There is a microwave but too many kids want to use it that it takes the whole lunch period to warm your food. He doesn't want to bother with the "mess" of a thermos for hot food. There is a hot lunch that you can pre-order a month in advance but it's expensive and ds doesn't care for the food anyway. No option to buy a hot lunch on the spur of the moment, though. He has resigned himself to taking sandwiches. He doesn't really care for sandwiches but he feels it's the easiest option. I use rolls instead of regular sliced bread as it doesn't get soggy--because it's thicker--even with a dab of dressing on it. Alternately you could do wraps. I also try to pack a fruit and a cookie or granola bar.

Hard-boiled eggs and veg sticks should keep well for a few hours too.

I feel like I haven't helped much but the lunch ideas weren't working out and we found this to be our best solution. Good luck!

Have you seen all the mason jar salads? The blog Big Red Kitchen has them, and there are bunches on Pinterest.

There are lunch containers with built-in ice packs. One of many versions: Fit & Fresh Lunch on the Go Set with Ice Pack, 3 Reusable Containers with Lids, BPA-Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNCS5M/

With those, I'd pack pretty much anything that doesn't need to be heated.

For many years, my hubby took PB and Jelly sandwiches and apples with him for lunch. Snacks were nuts, raisins, and similar things.

We took backpack cooler into parks in Florida. It would keep things cold all day. Surely things would stay cool enough in a pack inside a building.

My dh is often on the road and therefore has no access to refrigeration. I make mayo myself with some whey in it which seems to preserve it even in the terrible heat we have in the summer. I usually mix rice, some kind of veggie with a little mayo or sometimes tamari sauce and add some kind of meat to it (cooked, broiled, grilled - ready to eat). Sometimes he also takes some fruit like bananas, apples, etc.

Can he switch from a mesh bag to a clear insulated cooler to keep things colder longer?

http://shop.myclearbackpack.com/main.sc

Looks like this would pretty much fit the bill: see-through and keeps the food cool.  If you paired it with some of those Rubbermaid Lunch Blox, which are transparent enough to see the food inside, you could send him with pretty much any needs-to-be-kept-cool food for lunch.

The 'mess' of a thermos? What kind?

That was my question too. Ds doesn't like having to reach his spoon into the thermos. He prefers to eat his food in a bowl--it has a wider opening. But he won't take a bowl to pour his food out into; he thinks it's too much bother. :001_rolleyes:

I should have said "bother" instead of "mess."

Today my husband has some baked chicken fingers that I made last night, with bbq sauce.  I try to vary his sandwiches by adding bacon or pepperoni.  Sometimes I just cut up cheeses and pepperoni, crackers, fruit. 

I bought an insulated lunch sack.  I take a small blue icepack and wrap it in a wash cloth at the bottom of the bag, then put his lunch in.  On all but the hottest days, it's still cool when he gets home.

(didn;t read previous replies- sorry if I repeat!)

I buy the frozen pre-cooked breaded chicken fingers/tenders. I pack them into wrap sandwiches FROZEN! They thaw by lunchtime.

I came up with that genius plan one morning when I realized I was cooking the tenders, then waiting for them to cool enough to put in the wrap so they wouldn;t heat up the rest of the lunch tote. :glare:  And the ice pack took up more room than the food.  Now the food is my ice pack! :coolgleamA: