Menu

I thought I was doing so well.

Jenny in Florida

I've been keeping busy. Between the two part-time jobs, I've been working 20-25 hours a week. I'm taking multiple MOOCs and brushing up my computer skills. I did my orientation for one volunteer organization yesterday and am scheduled for the other in a couple of weeks. My son has already been back home to visit twice and has plans to be here again next weekend. (He's working with his local dance teachers to prep for a competition in November.) We exchanged a few texts last night, including one in which he even said he loves me. My daughter rarely goes a two days without calling and/or texting and/or sending a Facebook message. 

Really, I'm doing better than I expected.

But not today.

Today, I'm kind of a mess. EVERYTHING gets to me. I'm listening to an audiobook about Eleanor of Aquitaine (in whom I've been interested since I was a child, meaning that nothing in this book is new information or comes as a surprise to me), and I keep finding myself weeping over her upsets. I'm home by myself this evening and decided to catch up on some episodes of Parenthood on Netflix, and it's getting to me, too.

It's just ridiculous.

I really thought, since things had been going well for me, that I was adapting. Ugh.

How are the rest of you parents-of-your-last-freshman folks doing? Tell me you're doing really, really well so that it will spark my competition gene and get me back on track?

:grouphug:  to you! My kids are still around home (one graduated this past June and the other is going 100% DE) and I no longer homeschool and I get to be a mess on some days.  I think when one is alone and quiet is when the reality sets in.

Time takes a while to heal and life has changed significantly, so the healing is more for a major deal than a minor one. 

I allow myself a day (or two) to feel down in the dumps.  Then I pick myself back up and move on.  It helps to remind myself that we've done our job well, but it also helps to do something (or eat something - or both) that I enjoy.  It's not the same.  I acknowledge that. It's getting used to the new normal which I know must be done.

It does get better.  The beginning is the worst IME.

I've actually been doing pretty well. I've really felt uplifted by the many friends who were praying for me and my son. He seems to be doing well, and so I'm happy. I'm keeping busy around here. It does feel a bit quiet sometimes, but I've taken to playing more CDs that I can sing along to. I am looking forward to seeing him at parents' weekend in a couple of weeks.

For me, the worst part was last spring (March/April) when the reality of him leaving seemed to really set in. I think it was the process of making the final decision of where he was going while trying to finish up school, plan the graduation party, etc.

Hope you feel better soon, Jenny.

Brenda

:grouphug: :grouphug:

For me, it was hardest when our first left, because I knew it was the beginning of the end!

After five leaving, I find that they come home a lot too, or we go there.  We rarely go a week without seeing one now, and someone is usually living at home for a time as well.  (Our son and his wife were here for two months over the summer, which was great!)  So, we're actually doing okay.  :)

But, that first one leaving was really hard...

It sounds like you are a close family and your kids keep in good contact.  It will start feeling better eventually!