Menu

What is your personal educational philosophy?

As a homeschooling parent I think my job is to teach my kids both what we want them to learn from us as parents (about God, values, character, etc) as well as from us as instructors (basic and advanced skills in communications, math, science, literature, music and art; plus knowledge from history, literature, science, etc.). My overall goal is to teach them to know and listen to God .. And to prepare to use the skills and knowledge He gave them to live the life He has planned for them. And yes I do prepare them and expect them to go to college, vote, and plan for a future where then will support themselves and help others around them.

My children own their educations. It's their education. I already have mine. 

My goal is to give them the basic skills they will need to learn anything they will need to accomplish their goals. To help them develop their innate talents and interests. To expose them to a wide variety of quality knowledge so that they can find and recognize their talents and interests. 

My goals for their character and spiritual development are to model a healthy, happy, productive life and impart the practical skills needed for them to pursue the same plus healthy relationships. 

Teach them right and wrong, model virtues (honesty, courage, humility, charity, etc), teach them how to reason, and share Truth and let them govern themselves.

Really, "teach them how to reason" translates easiest into school tasks, and there is much overlap between that which you would call parenting that which is school. But I do believe it is all part of their education.

Some days I think I just don't want them to embarrass themselves sometime in the future at a cocktail party.

I'd like them to know how to find things out on their own.

I'd like them to be able to go to college and hit the ground running in regards to being able to study/learn.

I'd like for them to be able to get a decent job that pays them well enough that life isn't a terrible struggle.

I'd love for them to find a job they love.

Spiritually, I'd like them to know God and follow him.

I'd like them to know how not to be jerks and to act in a socially acceptable manner.

To introduce them to the richness of the world.

To help them understand their place in the world and their stories, at the end of a long line of important events and people.

To expose them to various cultures.

To give them a sound spiritual base.

To give them a more rigorous education than the one I received.

My role as a homeschooling parent...that's a tough one. To expose my children to Truth, Goodness, and Beauty until they are familiar friends. To teach them to love what they ought and to despise what they ought. To develops those two ideals in myself, so that I can be worthy of imitation. To teach them "the skills" to a level that they may succeed at any (reasonable) chosen future (workforce, skill school, community college, university, ect). To be honest about their ability level and not let pride dictate our curriculum. To continue to self-educate both on teaching itself and on the subjects I teach. To develop an interest, if I cannot muster a passion, for each subject I am teaching.

My children's role is to do what I ask of them, and to do so to the best of their ability and with a good attitude. They are young, so they don't have much ownership yet over what they study, and Im not sure yet what that will look like as they get older.

What do you believe your role consists of as a homeschooling parent (to teach traditions, encourage social reform, focus on intellect..)?

What do you believe your child's role is in his/her education?

My personal educational philosophy is a blend of multiple philosophies merged to fit my personal goals for my children.   I can't rank them simply as most important to least important b/c they are all intertwined as a whole.   

We want our children to reach their full potential individually as spiritual human beings.  That means we want to provide them with the most challenging academic coursework that they are individually capable of achieving.   We want them to recognize that they are mind, soul, and body and all 3 parts need to be nurtured.   Academics is not the only important objective.   We want to provide them what is necessary for their character development/spiritual/emotional well-being as well as their nutritional/physical well-being.

My role as teacher shifts with age.   I am the sole determiner when they are younger.   As they get older, much of the selection shifts to a cooperative role where we work on selecting and designing courses together.  By the time they are in late middle/ high school, I expect internal motivation to be the driving force behind their educations.

My goals are to give them the tools to do what they want in life, the ability to discern fact from fiction, the desire to seek truth. I want them to have a strong sense of justice, equality, and a giving nature. I would also prefer that they don't act like jerks. I would like them to be able to have reasonable conversations and debates with people they disagree with. Basically, I want them to be well rounded people who can think for themselves. I also strongly prefer that they do not attach themselves to any religion or theology.

Their role is to do their best, give input about what they're interested in and what they want to learn, and to have a good attitude.

Well I hearken back to my chem prof from years ago, who said her job was to FACILITATE, so that has always been my goal.  I do that in the light of the biblical admonition that "the student will become like his teacher." That takes care of the rest (what we love, what we value, how we prioritize, etc.).

I believe that less can be more. I prefer, as do my children, to go deeper with fewer materials. I would say overall I guess I lean toward CM, but then I adopt so many bits and pieces of other "educational philosophies" that I hesitate to label myself as following any one of them, espeically as my approach varies between my two children.

What do you believe your role consists of as a homeschooling parent (to teach traditions, encourage social reform, focus on intellect..)?

My role is to provide a solid education in basic skills -- reading, writing, arithmetic (the three "R's"), and exposure to the sciences, history, art, and music. I encourage my children to form opinions, and be aware of current societal, political, and environmental issues. I believe also that children should be exposed to good writing/books, whether they are vintage/classic or modern. It is also my role to model good behavior (etiquette, patience, etc.), as well as to teach them the basic skills they will need as they get older, such as doing laundry, cooking, sewing on a button, changing a tire, and so forth. I also try to remain flexible, and to remm=ember that what works for one child will not necessarily work for another. I try too to pay attention to their interests to a good degree. It is a balancing act!

What do you believe your child's role is in his/her education?

The role of my children is to consistently do the best they can, to pay as much attention as they can, and to put out a good effort. As my children grow older, part of their role is to help choose materials/subjects, to assist in developing their own educations.

I believe my role as educator is to teach them how to teach themselves, as well as give them a strong foundational knowledge base as a springboard.  I hope to help them find ways to discover their gifts and talents, and capitalize on them.  I want them to walk away from their education feeling strong, capable, responsible, and wise.  I want them to have a firm spiritual sense to lean on.

I believe my job is more of an educational facilitator and modeler of good habits, both personal and educational.  I believe it is my kids' job to respectfully and diligently do their best, and to "own" their education.

My goals are to give them the tools to do what they want in life, the ability to discern fact from fiction, the desire to seek truth. I want them to have a strong sense of justice, equality, and a giving nature. I would also prefer that they don't act like jerks. I would like them to be able to have reasonable conversations and debates with people they disagree with. Basically, I want them to be well rounded people who can think for themselves. I also strongly prefer that they do not attach themselves to any religion or theology.

Their role is to do their best, give input about what they're interested in and what they want to learn, and to have a good attitude.

This is very similar to my philosophy with these additions/changes:

A huge goal of mine is to help each child discover their passion.

I hope to instill in them a tremendous awe and wonder and the belief that the earth and all life is sacred. My dh and I sometimes get a little emotional when watching Cosmos or being in a really beautiful place. I want to teach my children (if it's possible to teach that) to have that same appreciation for this world.

As long as they are truly kind and happy people, I'll feel happy - no matter what their religion.

I'm also hoping to help them learn that working hard at something can be very rewarding.

My entire role as a parent is to raise self-sufficient individuals who have integrity and kind heart and don't become complacent in life.

That's it.

I try to accomplish that by providing them as much exposure to various things as I can.  I try model certain behaviors   and I try to teach certain moral values.   And I try to instill certain habits.

But at the end of the day, if they have above - I think that's all I can ask for