Menu

Remember how I was trying to figure out a hobby or career?

Soror

Or perhaps you don't but I've had a great desire in the last several months of "more." That seems quite insane to say as my plate has already been quite full with mothering and hs'ing 4 kids but I'm sure some will at least know what I mean.

I think I've found "it", at least for now anyway. You know I contemplated going back to college but in the fields I was interested in it didn't seem worth it for the time and money lost. 

Now here is the really crazy part, the what. I've signed up to lead a group of older girls in AHG, a group that I don't even have a child in. I did daycamp with the group and had a great time and am really looking forward to it, the girls are just wonderful, smart, funny, hardworking, silly etc. The great thing with this age group is that they are pretty self-directed. I don't have to plan out crafts and projects each week (I flat out refused to teach the lower grades that my daughters are doing for this reason) they plan what they want to cover and I help with record keeping and helping them figure out how to fulfill the requirements.

Also a few weeks ago I taught class to our co-op kids and my goodness it was a blast, controlled chaos at best, but a blast for me and them. I'm brainstorming now what I can teach for the spring for a short session (probably about half of the year). I know I'm not up to doing it all week for the whole semester and I want more time to plan it out. The big positive about this is that I get to pick a subject that I find interesting and I think they will find interesting, the thought of being forced to do it and/or not being able to choose the subject matter is not something I would sign up for at all but there are plenty of things I'd like to do.

I'm feeling more alive than I have in awhile, quite ironically doing things that I would think would be quite draining instead of rejuvenating. I do love working with kids, really the older ones, so it is a bit of a way to revisit my past pre-kid work with youth without a huge commitment of an actual job.

I need more personal space and I'm signing up to teach and lead other people's kids. So, have I gone loopy? Perhaps I have. But I'm feeling excited :)

I think every mom needs a project or something that doesn't get undone in one day (or ten minutes). So much of what we do is clean up the same messes over and over, which makes it seem like it is never over. DH, meanwhile, in his job can point to work he's done that stayed done. Although I am not handy, I like being able to look at the wall I helped paint and see that it is still painted or the dining chairs are still reupholstered.

I'm glad you found something that helps you feel like you are accomplishing something.

Or perhaps you don't but I've had a great desire in the last several months of "more." That seems quite insane to say as my plate has already been quite full with mothering and hs'ing 4 kids but I'm sure some will at least know what I mean.

I think I've found "it", at least for now anyway. You know I contemplated going back to college but in the fields I was interested in it didn't seem worth it for the time and money lost.

Now here is the really crazy part, the what. I've signed up to lead a group of older girls in AHG, a group that I don't even have a child in. I did daycamp with the group and had a great time and am really looking forward to it, the girls are just wonderful, smart, funny, hardworking, silly etc. The great thing with this age group is that they are pretty self-directed. I don't have to plan out crafts and projects each week (I flat out refused to teach the lower grades that my daughters are doing for this reason) they plan what they want to cover and I help with record keeping and helping them figure out how to fulfill the requirements.

Also a few weeks ago I taught class to our co-op kids and my goodness it was a blast, controlled chaos at best, but a blast for me and them. I'm brainstorming now what I can teach for the spring for a short session (probably about half of the year). I know I'm not up to doing it all week for the whole semester and I want more time to plan it out. The big positive about this is that I get to pick a subject that I find interesting and I think they will find interesting, the thought of being forced to do it and/or not being able to choose the subject matter is not something I would sign up for at all but there are plenty of things I'd like to do.

I'm feeling more alive than I have in awhile, quite ironically doing things that I would think would be quite draining instead of rejuvenating. I do love working with kids, really the older ones, so it is a bit of a way to revisit my past pre-kid work with youth without a huge commitment of an actual job.

I need more personal space and I'm signing up to teach and lead other people's kids. So, have I gone loopy? Perhaps I have. But I'm feeling excited :)

They call this The Golden Hammock of Leadership in Girl Scouts! It's when the girls are old enough to do it all and you just have to be physically present and sign things. Hope you have loads of fun!

I think that is great! My husband would like me to find something that brings me joy so I'm trying to find something!

I tried looking for something and I found it rather elusive because I didn't know exactly what the answer would be, everything I would think of would lead to dead ends. This kind of came accidentally, quite the opposite of what I expected because I was thinking of looking for some sort of job to do to also bring in some money and obviously this doesn't lead down that track. What it does do is start me in some of the work I did before having kids, so it kind of renews in me interests and passions that have long since been dormant as my focus has been so heavy on my own kids, which is why it was paramount to me to lead groups that my kids are not in. Good luck to you in your journey, keep your eyes and ears open you never know what could come up.

All the kudos and well wishes are wonderful, thanks so much all.

That's how I got into teaching for $ though.  I began teaching Sunday School, then Awana.  Then community college.  Then co-op classes.  When I "graduated" to paid classes, I was so thrilled.

And now I make full-time income with my teaching and curriculum development work for three different employers.  All with no teaching degree, teaching things I didn't study in college.  Teaching and writing energize me.

So look out...you never know.