Menu

Why does change have to be so hard?

TammyinTN

I've never ever struggled like I am this year.  It's week two of school and honestly....it sucks!   Ds is doing great...it's me.  I can't seem to keep everything going-- classes planned, teaching, cooking, laundry, exercise, reading all the stuff I need to be reading, helping with grand-daughter.   I just want to hide in my room and eat Godiva all day. 

What the heck is wrong with me this year???  Anyone else suffering with this problem?   How can I turn this around?

Your advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

:grouphug:

Yikes! It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with you!! It does sound like you have a FULL schedule and high expectations of yourself. Cut yourself some slack for being a mere mortal, then ask yourself "what's the worst that will happen if I don't complete ______x_____?"

Maybe the reading has to wait. Maybe the food needs to be simplified. And maybe granddaughter needs to visit only two hours, instead of four.

Only you can decide for sure. But, the world will not screech to a halt if you have cold cut supper a few nights/week.

How old is your granddaughter? It would be REALLY hard to go back to little kid days after the calm of having older kids. Tiny kid interruptions are SO constant it's hard to finish anything.

Our dd and granddaughter live with us.  She's two and in to everything!  I can finish something and come back and it's undone.

Yikes! It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with you!! It does sound like you have a FULL schedule and high expectations of yourself. Cut yourself some slack for being a mere mortal, then ask yourself "what's the worst that will happen if I don't complete ______x_____?"

Maybe the reading has to wait. Maybe the food needs to be simplified. And maybe granddaughter needs to visit only two hours, instead of four.

Only you can decide for sure. But, the world will not screech to a halt if you have cold cut supper a few nights/week.

I knew this was going to be a hard year...challenging classes, etc.   I'm trying to cook a big meal every other night and have leftovers or reinvent leftovers for the next meal.     Everything just seems to be piling on me this week.  

It is VERY hard to home school a high school student with a 2yo around. I am assuming your older dd, her mom, is at school or work or both? I did this for the most exhausting year of my life while I home schooled my ds as a sophomore, my 9yo, and watched my adorable 2yo niece four days a week and I worked part-time nights and weekends. I got up at 5:30 even though I am not a morning person to get my own personal study done. It was the only way for me. Also, I took several long weekends at the beach to recover. The older you get the more you really have to, it is not optional. You MUST build some time for your self in or you will not make it.

Perhaps you need to remember the stuff you put in place when you had littles of your own. Baby gates and closed doors are your friend. Limit her access to parts of the house so she can't completely undo EVERYTHING!

And yes, brainstorm with your dd as to how to manage stuff. She's probably experiencing her own stress, but as a mom, she needs to help you out with this.

Make rest a priority. Perhaps your son can help in some tangible ways every day. Maybe he can cook?

Use a crock pot and eat soups.

I think I'm just in a tough season of life right now...as granddaughter gets bigger life will get better..right?!  ;)

I don't envy you. It does sound like a tough season. 2-year-olds are exhausting enough in your twenties. I can't imagine adding one to the mix now that I'm used to going to the bathroom alone AND taking my time in there.

Here is some sympathy wine and chocolate: 🫠ðŸ·

You may need to make a point of napping when she goes down!

Are you feeling like the change is hard emotionally, or just that it's difficult to keep up with everything?  I think there is a difference.  I know I felt the second off and on until I just finally accepted the fact that I couldn't do everything.  I learned to live in an often messy house and sometimes we ate off paper plates, or had granola, yogurt and frozen fruit for supper.  :)  It got easier when the kids were older, but I'm sure having a 2-year-old around really changes everything.

But I do think change becomes harder emotionally as we get older.  I think when we're young we're just used to changes:  high school to college to job to marriage to children to moving...  then everything is the same for a long time after that.   I'm not sure how to help that, except to say that even changes during those times start feeling normal eventually.  Take time for yourself, sit down with a cup of coffee and a good book.  Your son is older so should be able to do a lot independently.  Are you sleeping well?  I find that if I'm not sleeping well, everything feels harder.  When I have a day that goes really smoothly I try and figure out what's different about it. 

I've been going through some major changes too, but find that by taking a little time to myself every day if I can, and also time with a good friend over coffee once or twice a week, really helps.

Are you feeling like the change is hard emotionally, or just that it's difficult to keep up with everything?  I think there is a difference.  I know I felt the second off and on until I just finally accepted the fact that I couldn't do everything.  I learned to live in an often messy house and sometimes we ate off paper plates, or had granola, yogurt and frozen fruit for supper.  :)  It got easier when the kids were older, but I'm sure having a 2-year-old around really changes everything.

But I do think change becomes harder emotionally as we get older.  I think when we're young we're just used to changes:  high school to college to job to marriage to children to moving...  then everything is the same for a long time after that.   I'm not sure how to help that, except to say that even changes during those times start feeling normal eventually.  Take time for yourself, sit down with a cup of coffee and a good book.  Your son is older so should be able to do a lot independently.  Are you sleeping well?  I find that if I'm not sleeping well, everything feels harder.  When I have a day that goes really smoothly I try and figure out what's different about it. 

I've been going through some major changes too, but find that by taking a little time to myself every day if I can, and also time with a good friend over coffee once or twice a week, really helps.

Emotionally and physically....there's just so much to accomplish each and everyday.   I usually prep meals in the morning so dinner is always on the table by 6pm.    We do a take out once a week and everyone definitely is helping out in our house.   It's just a tough season I guess.  

Ds does a great deal of his work on his own, but somethings he needs guidance with it.  I usually spend 3 hours a day going over math and 1 class a day.  He does have some online classes and that is really lovely!

I'm definitely going to try and take an hour break a day...coffee, book and just to recover from my little tornado.

Thanks everyone for offering advice and hugs!!!

Are you watching gd while dd works? Make sure dd takes most of the responsibility for her dd, as much as she can, and that she helps you around the house. 11th grade (have done twice myself) is getting into some hard stuff, I see the chemistry and geometry.... my two most disliked subjects to do all in one year! Your ds is #1 priority so he is ready for college. My vote goes to the toddler draining you (even though they are so adorable at that stage, they are tornadoes!). Maybe you or your dd can enforce a bedtime for gd on the early side so all of you get a breather. GL

Susan...dd is testing to start driving a school bus in a neighboring county.  She doesn't want to leave her dd and is looking for options to homeschool her and provide for them.  

I don't want anything to think that dd doesn't take care of her.  She does everything for her...she's just loud and busy and we took this house thinking there was only going to be 3 of us and now there's 5.   Day to day is just overwhelming and noisy and I guess I'm getting older. 

Susan...dd is testing to start driving a school bus in a neighboring county.  She doesn't want to leave her dd and is looking for options to homeschool her and provide for them.  

I don't want anything to think that dd doesn't take care of her.  She does everything for her...she's just loud and busy and we took this house thinking there was only going to be 3 of us and now there's 5.   Day to day is just overwhelming and noisy and I guess I'm getting older. 

No problem! Close quarters are NOT fun. You are wonderful to help them. Try to take care of yourself when you can.

Our dd and granddaughter live with us. She's two and in to everything! I can finish something and come back and it's undone.

That explains a lot!

I have a set of older kids and one that is younger. Stretching both physically and mentally - bouncing, actually - between the two levels is something in personally find very draining.