Menu

How to help a 6th grader catch up who missed the last 3 years of school..?

SJ.

My friend's ds missed the last three years of school due to an illness and is now in 6th grade.  He is having a difficult time in school this year and I told her I would send her some resources and ideas that may help get him caught up.  This is a public schooling family so they will be working with him after school and on weekends.  I'm not exactly sure where he is struggling so I was hoping I could get some suggestions for a little bit of everything.

I was thinking:

Khan Academy

What Your X Grader Should Know

Reading books/Audiobooks from ED Hirsch's Books to Build On

Documentaries and TV shows about history and science (suggestions?)

Going places like the zoo, the science museum, educational festivals 

Evan Moor Daily Paragraph Editing

Thanks!

SJ

I would focus on math and language arts (especially grammar and writing; any chance the child was able to read during the illness? If not, I would get him reading as much as possible ASAP). There are a lot of options of course; I might look at the MM blue topic books for math and a grammar program that assumes no previous instruction, such as Analytical Grammar.

I would forget about history and science, so no, I would not bother with the Hirsch stuff. (Really one cannot be behind in these content subjects in 6th gr.) Field trips just for fun.

He didn't receive any educational/academic support through all these years - at home or through his local school board? I find that really hard to believe.

Anyway, he didn't zone out for 3 years. He probably read, counted things, learned a ton about his meds/doctors/nurses, etc.  I would probably start with regular grade 6 level subjects and find out exactly where he requires remedial work.

He didn't receive any educational/academic support through all these years - at home or through his local school board? I find that really hard to believe.

Anyway, he didn't zone out for 3 years. He probably read, counted things, learned a ton about his meds/doctors/nurses, etc.  I would probably start with regular grade 6 level subjects and find out exactly where he requires remedial work.

Simply b/c he might have received something does not mean that he actually made any progress.   Our dil is an AML survivor and lived at St Judes from the time she was 8 until almost 10.  (Our ds was totally in love with her by the time she was 12.)  She was extremely behind academically due to her illness.   She ended up graduating with kids 2 yrs younger than her b/c that is where she ended up having to pick back up her life.   It literally was like she lost 2 complete yrs.  (Not to mention how much the chemo/radiation and who knows what other treatments she went through impacted her cognitive abilities.   Parts of her brain were impacted by the treatments.)

I agree with Wapiti.   The only subjects I would focus on would be language arts areas (reading, writing, spelling) and math.

Agreeing with the others to focus on skill subjects.

For math, I would choose an inexpensive but thorough program like Math Mammoth and start right at the beginning, reading through the instructions and demonstrations and working just enough problems to be confident he has mastered the material. He will likely skim through the first few levels quickly but I would want to be sure he has a really solid foundation. When he hits a level that is challenging for him, slow down and work through it methodically (still doesn't mean he has to do every problem, but enough to build comprehension and retention).

Language arts will depend a lot on where he is at. If he is not reading fluently and with enjoyment, that is where I would focus first.

Thank you for the responses.  MM is a great idea.  

As for the ED Hirsch lit suggestions I thought using it as a book list to sometimes choose from would not only bolster his reading skills but also reinforce some history.  We find these books to be enjoyable and use some of them for literature in our home.

He was fighting for his life so he was limited in what he could do.  I do not know the extent of how far he is behind, I just know he is having a difficult time at school this year and is feeling frustrated. 

What about Life of Fred for math?  Would that be fun and engaging for a child in 6th grade?  In addition to standard resources I am hoping for some things that don't feel like the drudgery of school but still provide meaningful learning.  Thoughts?

What about Life of Fred for math?  Would that be fun and engaging for a child in 6th grade?  In addition to standard resources I am hoping for some things that don't feel like the drudgery of school but still provide meaningful learning.  Thoughts?

In my house Life of Fred is something the kids read for fun; I'm sure they learn some from it but I wouldn't count on it to bring a child up to grade level. The elementary books especially feel a bit fragmented in the way they present things.

Since he is in school, I would focus on homework help -- reading his textbooks to him for example, to help him not be embarrassed in class.  For math supplements, fill in the foundations around the topics he's currently doing in school to fill in holes.

Agree with the above.  Is there a way the parents could get all the materials they are using in school (if they can get links or ISBN numbers they could look at ordering used through Amazon or Abe books if the school does not have or will not lend out spares to keep at home).  Have them review with him AHEAD of what is happening in class whenever possible.

Lials basic college math for math, supplement with Kahn as needed. They 8th edition is cheap but still comes with a Cd or DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-College-Mathematics-8th-Edition/dp/0321557123/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409774192&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=Lilal+basic+college+math

My online phonics methods and my multisyllable reading page, my how to tutor page if he has guessing problems from sight words in school.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

If you can read well, it makes catching up with everything else so much easier. I try to work with my students until they are reading at least a grade level above their current grade, 2 or more is even better, it is well worth the effort.

Then, to build up vocabulary and content, 1879 McGuffey readers, start with the 3rd or 4th reader, slightly below comfort level and read a few passages a day. I recommend them to all my remedial students since they build up so many skills--phonics, vocab, reading comprehension. They also have a variety of literature types.

Agree with the above.  Is there a way the parents could get all the materials they are using in school (if they can get links or ISBN numbers they could look at ordering used through Amazon or Abe books if the school does not have or will not lend out spares to keep at home).  Have them review with him AHEAD of what is happening in class whenever possible.

This is a good idea, but it would be my second choice.  My first choice would be to pull him from 6th grade math and tutor him in the grade level at which he is actually working.  This could be done through moving him to a different classroom for math time (if the logistics work), or having him work with a school-provided aide or tutor (which would involve the parents being a seriously Squeaky Wheel), or using math time for free reading and doing the math at home with mom or a tutor.  I would use the program the school uses (unless it's horrid) and I would continue over the summer with an eye towards catching him up for next year.  The stuff in mid-elementary is foundational, and I wouldn't want short-term goals to undermine long-term goals.

For reading/writing, I'd focus on tutoring-style support for schoolwork/homework, and cultivate a family culture around reading, using read-alouds, audio books, and time for self-selected reading from a curated collection.  I'd also minimize screen time to create more time for all of the above.

And I'd talk to the teacher to see what subjects or assignments could be dropped in order to support the more basic concerns.

I'd also pursue the appropriate label(s) or other means that would allow the child to have an IEP, to provide access to services and modifications/accomodations to the standard educational program.

This is a good idea, but it would be my second choice.  My first choice would be to pull him from 6th grade math and tutor him in the grade level at which he is actually working.  This could be done through moving him to a different classroom for math time (if the logistics work), or having him work with a school-provided aide or tutor (which would involve the parents being a seriously Squeaky Wheel), or using math time for free reading and doing the math at home with mom or a tutor.  I would use the program the school uses (unless it's horrid) and I would continue over the summer with an eye towards catching him up for next year.  The stuff in mid-elementary is foundational, and I wouldn't want short-term goals to undermine long-term goals.

For reading/writing, I'd focus on tutoring-style support for schoolwork/homework, and cultivate a family culture around reading, using read-alouds, audio books, and time for self-selected reading from a curated collection.  I'd also minimize screen time to create more time for all of the above.

And I'd talk to the teacher to see what subjects or assignments could be dropped in order to support the more basic concerns.

I'd also pursue the appropriate label(s) or other means that would allow the child to have an IEP, to provide access to services and modifications/accomodations to the standard educational program.

:iagree:

Or if they were willing to consider it, then homeschool him for this year and include a tutor that can help target specifics and help the parents pull together a plan.  That way, hopefully, he wouldn't get so demoralized and would hopefully have the significant one on one instruction he probably needs to effectively catch up.   He could also have time for outside interests that might keep him going emotionally while also giving him some potentially useful skills.  But I realize that not all parents are even remotely interested in  or even in a position to consider homeschooling.

I agree with the focus on reading and math.

I have another idea for math, the letsgolearn test. It will assess all areas and link to Kahn remediation if he takes the ADAM K7 test, well worth the $20. I would still recommend the Lial, but after assessment so the remediation can be targeted. The Kahn is a good start but not thorough remediation, it needs to be supplemented.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/ADAM_math/parents/

Their DORA is decent, but I think my free grade level tests are better for reading assessment, but DORA is easier to administer.

Here are my tests:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

I got Life of Fred for my oldest two this year, starting with Edgewood, as that seems the most appropriate place for the younger to start. It's below where my 11 year old DS needs to be, but he's enjoying it, and actually asked me to buy the first 4 books so he could start from the beginning.

We're combining it with Khan Academy, and I feel the combo is pretty good, with each one helping to make up for the other's weaknesses.

Khan Academy is good for this type of thing because he can quickly touch on stuff he already knows, and pinpoint and go into more depth on things he's weak on.

His family should also look into whether an IEP or 504 plan is appropriate for him.

For math, public school kids here have Aleks. If he has a school Aleks account then doing both Aleks and Khan for math might take up a lot of time. From 3rd to 6th grade math, there is a lot of repetition. It might be tiring to actually go through three years worth of public school math textbooks.

Science is typically earth science for 6th grade here so I'll concentrate on Language Arts instead. I'll worry about Literature later.

His parents can ask for pull outs for math and reading. If he is already at least two grades behind, it is unlikely he wouldn't qualify for intervention programs.

He was fighting for his life so he was limited in what he could do.  I do not know the extent of how far he is behind, I just know he is having a difficult time at school this year and is feeling frustrated. 

I didn't mean to sound callous, so sorry if it came across that way.  The lack of information you provided in the OP makes responding with any sort of detail difficult.

I'm assuming he's in regular school, but I don't know from your post.  If he's homeschooling, I actually think he could make up time easier, but it may not be possible for the family.

I know that some people skip Saxon K-3 and start right with 5/4.  I would think that would be a good place to start…and he'd only really be one year back in Math.  (I'm a Math Mammoth fan too, but I'm not sure what grade level I'd start.)

The main thing IMHO would be making sure he had his basic facts down…addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.  And move on from there.  Right Start card games are fun and easy…but there are also a gazillion good apps and stuff that can be used these days.

If he's just now in 6th grade, he probably did not miss much formal grammar, but could use help with writing.  His Mom could try doing BraveWriter free writes to increase confidence.  I also think books like this http://www.amazon.com/Paragraph-Writing-Evan-Moor-Educational-Publisher/dp/1557996083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409796046&sr=8-1&keywords=writing+paragraph  can be helpful.

He also may need to work on cursive and keyboarding skills.  There are computer games for that too. :)

In Australia we have a series of books called "Understanding Year x Maths". They have a separate section for each unit of work, including 5 worksheets per section that start easy and get harder. Years 5 and 6 are in the same book. Do you have something similar? I don't think our curriculum is that different for primary, so you could get the Aussie one at a pinch.

I would read SOTW or listen to the audiobooks, and use something fun like Bill Nye videos for science. Watch some David Attenborough. Make these family activities not catch-up work. Read Grammarland by Nesbitt and do the free worksheets. And read aloud for fun: writing will come with confidence and good books, not with a writing curriculum.

D